Quantcast

» «
Photo

Which do you prefer: GTA V or Watch Dogs 2?

75 replies to this topic

Poll: GTA V or Watch Dogs (99 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you prefer?

1. GTA V (73 votes [73.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 73.74%

2. Watch Dogs (26 votes [26.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Journey_95, 4 weeks ago.

Story and character wise they're both sh*t considering their predecessors are both superior in every way in that department. However I think one big difference between the two is at least Watch Dogs 2 embraced its open world and didn't force unnecessary restrictions like GTA V does.

It's not perfect, but it took everything from Watch Dogs and made it better. It still has much as much interactivity as the first game (if not more). On the other hand it's a fact that GTA V sacrificed interactivity from GTA IV making its game world feel shallow and not as fleshed out as it first appears.

I just think in general Watch Dogs 2 is a far more honest sequel than GTA V is. Doesn't try to come across as the greatest damn game in existence (which GTA V lol definitely is NOT) and just goes about its business..

Obviously I agree about GTA IV but I think the first WD had a sh*t story and characters as well (somehow WD2 managed to be worse though).

Thats typical Ubisoft though. All of their games in the past few years "just go about their business" and dont try too hard, they all feel pretty similiar  and feel like cheap rehashes with the same formula. 

I feel like that with GTA V despite its flaws Rockstar still put a lot of effort into it to make it memorable and unique & something that will be remembered.  Ubisoft just makes shallow cash grabs that are forgotten after a few weeks.

Sleeping Dogs because f*ck y'all.

Spoiler

Sleeping Dogs is definitely better than both. Shame that a sequel will never happen...f*cking SE

Neither WD was particularly very good. They follow the typical Ubisoft formula of paint by numbers games. If WD2 was a halfway decent game it would be winning this poll because we all know how this forum feels about V. There are companies other than R that make great open world games but Ubisoft is not one of them. 

Agreed, Ubisoft just makes uninspired generic games with the same annoying formula. The writing in their games has been getting worse and worse as well.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Sleeping Dogs is an example of open world done right as are Breath of the Wild, The first three Saints Row, Horizon Zero Dawn and Witcher 3. There games are all creative, fun and have good stories which is nothing that Ubisoft games have. V for all it's flaws at least seems like it tried. You may or may or not like it but it doesn't feel like it came off an assembly line.

• Journey_95 and Yinepi like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 4 weeks ago

Story and character wise they're both sh*t considering their predecessors are both superior in every way in that department. However I think one big difference between the two is at least Watch Dogs 2 embraced its open world and didn't force unnecessary restrictions like GTA V does.

It's not perfect, but it took everything from Watch Dogs and made it better. It still has much as much interactivity as the first game (if not more). On the other hand it's a fact that GTA V sacrificed interactivity from GTA IV making its game world feel shallow and not as fleshed out as it first appears.

I just think in general Watch Dogs 2 is a far more honest sequel than GTA V is. Doesn't try to come across as the greatest damn game in existence (which GTA V lol definitely is NOT) and just goes about its business..

Obviously I agree about GTA IV but I think the first WD had a sh*t story and characters as well (somehow WD2 managed to be worse though).

Thats typical Ubisoft though. All of their games in the past few years "just go about their business" and dont try too hard, they all feel pretty similiar  and feel like cheap rehashes with the same formula. 

I feel like that with GTA V despite its flaws Rockstar still put a lot of effort into it to make it memorable and unique & something that will be remembered.  Ubisoft just makes shallow cash grabs that are forgotten after a few weeks.

Assassin's Creed II is one of the best open world games ever made IMO and I'm sure most people still remember it even today. What I meant with Watch Dogs 2 going about its business is it simply doesn't come across a game that thinks its the be all and end all that GTA V believes it is. 

The only upper hand GTA V has to me is its visuals (Then again Watch Dogs 2 looks pretty good too) and customising. I expected far more from GTA V considering the quality of GTA games that came before it and to capitalise on their successes which for the most part it doesn't as far I'm concerned. I'm not going to give it a free pass regardless of how detailed R* make their games.

Watch Dogs still being a new I.P and I liked Watch Dogs for what it was I didn't have the same level of expectation so I didn't feel cheated when I played Watch Dogs 2 in the same way I did with GTA V. 

• Yinepi likes this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Assassin's Creed II is one of the best open world games ever made IMO and I'm sure most people still remember it even today. What I meant with Watch Dogs 2 going about its business is it simply doesn't come across a game that thinks its the be all and end all that GTA V believes it is. 

The only upper hand GTA V has to me is its visuals (Then again Watch Dogs 2 looks pretty good too) and customising. I expected far more from GTA V considering the quality of GTA games that came before it and to capitalise on their successes which for the most part it doesn't as far I'm concerned. I'm not going to give it a free pass regardless of how detailed R* make their games.

Watch Dogs still being a new I.P and I liked Watch Dogs for what it was I didn't have the same level of expectation so I didn't feel cheated when I played Watch Dogs 2 in the same way I did with GTA V. 

Thats why I said almost a decade, AC2 was certainly great and a huge improvement over AC1, back then the Ubisoft formula wasn't played out and still fresh. But since AC3 their games have been sh*t (Black Flag was a good surprise though and really good but overall dragged down by the typical AC bullsh*t).

Obviously V can't compare to IV (not many games can) but I think its definitely better than SA and GTA 3 overall (not even counting the spin offs here). Like I said in another thread, it would overall be third in my ranking if we dont count TLAD as its own game.

I definitely was more disappointed with V because I didnt expect anything from WD2 anyway but over the years I have come to enjoy V for what it is. Rockstar's level of detail and effort is just something Ubisoft can't match imho. And GTA V still has its own charm and is memorable, both WD games and most Ubisoft games are forgettable and generic.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 4 weeks ago

Looks like we might have to agree to disagree here. ;)

Dont get me wrong I'm in no way a Ubisoft defender. I just don't think Watch Dogs 2 is that bad even though Ubisoft have made some stinkers like Assassin's Creed 3 and Far Cry 4. I've tried to grow to GTA V and beyond its visuals/customising it's a hollow game to me regardless of the amount of detail R* put into it.

Maybe Ubisoft doesn't have the same level detail, but I do enjoy Watch Dog 2's freedom in its open world than GTA V. It's less of a movie set and more of a play ground IMO which I feel is more memorable than GTA V's pretty graphics. 

• Journey_95 and Yinepi like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Looks like we might have to agree to disagree here. ;)

Dont get me wrong I'm in no way a Ubisoft defender. I just don't think Watch Dogs 2 is that bad. I've tried to grow to GTA V and beyond its visuals/customising its a hollow game to me regardless of the amount of detail R* put into it.

Maybe Ubisoft doesn't have the same level detail, but I do enjoy Watch Dog 2's freedom in its open world than GTA V. It's less of a movie set and more of a play ground IMO which I feel is more memorable than GTA V's pretty graphics. 

Yeah we agree on a lot but to each their own in this case. I prefer the more cinematic feel of V and think recent Ubisoft games are as shallow as it gets. V was still worth the full price for me and I have replayed it 3 times over the past years. Its very flawed but really not that bad.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Raj Brunner
  • Raj Brunner

"There is no knowledge that is not power"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Raj Brunner, 4 weeks ago.

Maybe Ubisoft doesn't have the same level detail, but I do enjoy Watch Dog 2's freedom in its open world than GTA V. It's less of a movie set and more of a play ground IMO which I feel is more memorable than GTA V's pretty graphics.What?GTA V's freeroaming feels more dynamic and immersive than WD2. There's a lot more you could in to. WD2 open world fee

What? You think WD2 is better because it's less scripted? Seriously? GTA V's freeroaming feels more dynamic and immersive than WD2. There's a lot more you could in to. WD2 open world doesn't feel as real and doesn't have that vibe. Missions in WD2 maybe less scripted, however they're repetitive as hell. Ubisoft has been using the same exact mission formula in most of their games. GTA V missions maybe scripted, but at least they're fun, movie oriented and different.

Sent from an android.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 4 weeks ago

Maybe Ubisoft doesn't have the same level detail, but I do enjoy Watch Dog 2's freedom in its open world than GTA V. It's less of a movie set and more of a play ground IMO which I feel is more memorable than GTA V's pretty graphics.What?GTA V's freeroaming feels more dynamic and immersive than WD2. There's a lot more you could in to. WD2 open world fee

What? You think WD2 is better because it's less scripted? Seriously? GTA V's freeroaming feels more dynamic and immersive than WD2. There's a lot more you could in to. WD2 open world doesn't feel as real and doesn't have that vibe. Missions in WD2 maybe less scripted, however they're repetitive as hell. Ubisoft has been using the same exact mission formula in most of their games. GTA V missions maybe scripted, but at least they're fun, movie oriented and different.

Sent from an android.

I don't agree. At least in Watch Dogs 2 it isn't littered with scripted random events that feel completely immersion breaking when you see the same woman get her purse stolen 500 times if you ignore it. GTA V's a massive fail IMO when it comes to immersion and dynamic expression.

Another thing Watch Dogs 2 gets right is the peds aren't complete cocks and don't get aggressive for the most dumb reasons like they do in GTA V. I feel I can walk around San Francisco and enjoy the surroundings without being annoyed by annoying peds and crappy, repetitive dialogue.

GTA V"s "things to do" as I've explained so many times in other threads doesn't interest me at all. Give me drone time trials over tow trucking or sh*tty property missions any day thanks.

As for the missions well I enjoy the more open ended nature of the missions in Watch Dogs 2 because they feel like proper sandbox missions. GTA V's Michael Bay-esque missions are of little of interest to me. Not to mention GTA V's pacing is horrendous.

It jumps between be these insane set piece missions with tons of action and still forces completely mind numbingly boring missions where we have to move cargo containers, go to a therapy session to listen to Michael's annoying family bitch and moan, buy masks and boiler suits, do yoga etc. 

Watch Dogs 2's missions have consistency with Marcus being a hacker in much the same way GTA IV's are with Niko being a hitman and I personally enjoy that approach more. Of course you're free to feel how you want about GTA V's missions, open world etc, but it's something I simply don't share.

• Piggsy pls, Edward Nashton, HeySlickThatsMe and 1 other like this

Edward Nashton
  • Edward Nashton

A Traveler of Both Time and Space.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Edward Nashton, 4 weeks ago.

GTA V's freeroaming feels more dynamic and immersive than WD2. 

Nope. Nope. Nope. Even WD1, probably the sh*ttiest AAA open world game I've played, had GTA V beat in that aspect. Peds have like 10x the amount of animations than they do in V, from shooting hoops in their driveway, break dancing on corners, making out, having arguments, leaning against their cars, waiting outdoor restaurant tables etc. the list goes on forever, and that's excluding what they do in the interiors (another thing V lacks), WD2 adds even more to this.  All peds seem to do in V for the most part is walk around and smoke, lean against walls and smoke, stand in groups and smoke, or talk on their phones... and smoke - did I mention they smoke? There are certain designated areas where NPCs do unique things but they're far and few between.

In WD1 you have those annoying "stop that crime from happening" side activities but you also see things happen organically on their own just by walking around, you'll see car jackings, muggings, fist fights, cop chases, even mob hits that are all randomly generated, so it's never the same npc's doing the same ass thing over and over again like in V, WD2 goes even further where you could orchestrate these sort of things just for sh*ts and giggles. To me, all of the above is a big, big plus to the immersive aspect of an open world game.

There's a lot more you could in to.

If you're including online, yes. If not, you probably haven't played neither of the Watchdog games for very long if you truly believe that.

• Algonquin Assassin, Payne Killer and Yinepi like this

Raj Brunner
  • Raj Brunner

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

GTA V's freeroaming feels more dynamic and immersive than WD2. 

Nope. Nope. Nope. Even WD1, probably the sh*ttiest AAA open world game I've played, had GTA V beat in that aspect. Peds have like 10x the amount of animations than they do in V, from shooting hoops in their driveway, break dancing on corners, making out, having arguments, leaning against their cars, waiting outdoor restaurant tables etc. the list goes on forever, and that's excluding what they do in the interiors (another thing V lacks), WD2 adds even more to this.  All peds seem to do in V for the most part is walk around and smoke, lean against walls and smoke, stand in groups and smoke, or talk on their phones... and smoke - did I mention they smoke? There are certain designated areas where NPCs do unique things but they're far and few between.

In WD1 you have those annoying "stop that crime from happening" side activities but you also see things happen organically on their own just by walking around, you'll see car jackings, muggings, fist fights, cop chases, even mob hits that are all randomly generated, so it's never the same npc's doing the same ass thing over and over again like in V, WD2 goes even further where you could orchestrate these sort of things just for sh*ts and giggles. To me, all of the above is a big, big plus to the immersive aspect of an open world game.

Watch Dogs 1 was total bullsh*t when it came to having that alive feeling.  The NPCs were just retards with names that do animations. So don't give me that. I haven't ran across any fist fights, car jackings, cop chases or any mob hits that were randamly generated in WD1 without scan of protential criminal. So I wouldn't count that as a random event.  Watch Dogs 2 I can agree the NPCs were way better, but the overall open world didn't feel as real or match the scope as GTA V does.

There's a lot more you could in to.

If you're including online, yes. If not, you probably haven't played neither of the Watchdog games for very long if you truly believe that.

Damn right. Because that's apart of the game. 

Raj Brunner
  • Raj Brunner

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Sent from an android.

I don't agree. At least in Watch Dogs 2 it isn't littered with scripted random events that feel completely immersion breaking when you see the same woman get her purse stolen 500 times if you ignore it. GTA V's a massive fail IMO when it comes to immersion and dynamic expression.

So, you're going to ignore every other random event you've seen? Besides, WD2 is the definition of being repetitive, my friend and you know it. 

Another thing Watch Dogs 2 gets right is the peds aren't complete cocks and don't get aggressive for the most dumb reasons like they do in GTA V. I feel I can walk around San Francisco and enjoy the surroundings without being annoyed by annoying peds and crappy, repetitive dialogue.

I can agree with the NPCs.

GTA V"s "things to do" as I've explained so many times in other threads doesn't interest me at all. Give me drone time trials over tow trucking or sh*tty property missions any day thanks.

You got me there...

As for the missions well I enjoy the more open ended nature of the missions in Watch Dogs 2 because they feel like proper sandbox missions. GTA V's Michael Bay-esque missions are of little of interest to me. Not to mention GTA V's pacing is horrendous.

It jumps between be these insane set piece missions with tons of action and still forces completely mind numbingly boring missions where we have to move cargo containers, go to a therapy session to listen to Michael's annoying family bitch and moan, buy masks and boiler suits, do yoga etc. 

Watch Dogs 2's missions have consistency with Marcus being a hacker in much the same way GTA IV's are with Niko being a hitman and I personally enjoy that approach more. Of course you're free to feel how you want about GTA V's missions, open world etc, but it's something I simply don't share.

You don't want to compare storyline and missions. The Storyline in WD2 was more sh*t than WD1's. The missions suffer from the same problem that WD1s suffers from their mostly the same and that gets boring. You used four boring missions, in GTA V one of them where the first half was boring and another one where it was actually funny to see his family in a therapy session. When most of the missions in Watch Dogs 2 are pretty lame. You totally showed me there....   

Edward Nashton
  • Edward Nashton

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Edward Nashton, 4 weeks ago.

Watch Dogs 1 was total bullsh*t when it came to having that alive feeling.  The NPCs were just retards with names that do animations. So don't give me that. I haven't ran across any fist fights, car jackings, cop chases or any mob hits that were randamly generated in WD1 without scan of protential criminal. So I wouldn't count that as a random event. 

Okay, you didn't play WD1 for very long (I don't blame you) or you played the last gen version, from what I understand, some of those things weren't included. But you're 100% wrong on that claim, those things totally happen in the game quite frequently. I mean, I don't even like the game, imo GTA V is better than WD1 overall, but that's the one positive thing about WD1 that stood out to me.

Watchdogs 2 on the other hand, mops the goddamn floor with GTA V's measly little single player mode. And I don't want to hear about Online, R* wasn't upfront about their plans to put like 75% of the content exclusively into multiplayer and leave people who aren't into MP with their asses in the wind. The game was marketed like any of their other games that came before. They knew it wouldn't have gotten as good as reception as it did if they told everyone beforehand that most of the good sh*t was going to be locked away in multiplayer. 

Like Someone said earlier, WD 2 was honest about what it was, you'd know right away if you love it or hate it. I couldn't give less of a damn about multiplayer games and that's pretty much what I got when I bought GTA V. 

• Algonquin Assassin and Yinepi like this

Raj Brunner
  • Raj Brunner

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Watch Dogs 1 was total bullsh*t when it came to having that alive feeling.  The NPCs were just retards with names that do animations. So don't give me that. I haven't ran across any fist fights, car jackings, cop chases or any mob hits that were randamly generated in WD1 without scan of protential criminal. So I wouldn't count that as a random event. 

Okay, you didn't play WD1 for very long (I don't blame you) or you played the last gen version, from what I understand, some of those things weren't included. But you're 100% wrong on that claim, those things totally happen in the game quite frequently. I mean, I don't even like the game, imo GTA V is better than WD1 overall, but that's the one positive thing about WD1 that stood out to me.

Watchdogs 2 on the other hand, mops the goddamn floor with GTA V's measly little single player mode. And I don't want to hear about Online, R* wasn't upfront about their plans to put like 75% of the content exclusively into multiplayer and leave people who aren't into MP with their asses in the wind. The game was marketed like any of their other games that came before. They knew it wouldn't have gotten as good as reception as it did if they told everyone beforehand that most of the good sh*t was going to be locked away in multiplayer. 

Like Someone said earlier, WD 2 was honest about what it was, you'd know right away if you love it or hate it. I couldn't give less of a damn about multiplayer games and that's pretty much what I got when I bought GTA V. 

Oh really? I didn't experience WD1 enough or played it on last gen? Check my Xbox account: IDAS Rahsmoove.

Your next point is a flatout out a joke. WD2 may bring some new cool content, but that doesn't tip the scale. GTA V singleplayer alone blows WD2 out of the water. It gives more of kick for your buck. As for removing GTAO is laughably stupid, because it's apart the game. No matter, how much you singlepayer gamers hate it. Not to mention, some of the stuff you could do in WD2 are actually from GTA V. 

Are you trying to defend an Ubisoft game with Marketing and Advertising because that's a big mistake. Ubsoft is known for lying. So don't even jack that. Even without the Online mode, the game was a big hit. So what you're saying, doesn't really hold any weight or matter.

• GTAFanClub likes this

Edward Nashton
  • Edward Nashton

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Edward Nashton, 3 weeks ago.

Oh really? I didn't experience WD1 enough or played it on last gen? Check my Xbox account: IDAS Rahsmoove.

I don't know why you keep harping on this. At this point you might as well be claiming that dragon encounters don't happen in Skyrim outside of the quests. I only played through WD1 twice, once on the XBO and not too long ago on the PC - I don't know what to tell you, bro, those things happen. Admittedly, I remember seeing those things more often on the PC, but there is also a PC version GTA V, so my comparison still stands. I only mentioned WD1 just to illustrate how bad R* sh*t the bed when it came to the "living world" factor, even a bad open world game has a more dynamic world than V - if you want to throw GTAO in, it compares even worse because the traffic and npc count is lowered. 

Your next point is a flatout out a joke. WD2 may bring some new cool content, but that doesn't tip the scale. GTA V singleplayer alone blows WD2 out of the water. It gives more of kick for your buck. As for removing GTAO is laughably stupid, because it's apart the game. No matter, how much you singlepayer gamers hate it. Not to mention, some of the stuff you could do in WD2 are actually from GTA V.

I'm not removing GTAO, it's a massive malignant tumor that can't be removed. I just didn't know I was buying a multiplayer game with a brief campaign mode that lets you dip your toe in the water before diving into the REAL game. That's what it is, if you look at the scale of the game as it exists right now, consider it's proportions and where the content is distributed, it's modeled no differently than a game like For Honor. I sure as hell didn't know that when I bought the game, no one did. Hurrah for you if you like multiplayer, but initially no one expected (or even really asked for) GTAO to be this big and no one thought it'd be at the expense of single player. 

Are you trying to defend an Ubisoft game with Marketing and Advertising because that's a big mistake. Ubsoft is known for lying. So don't even jack that. Even without the Online mode, the game was a big hit. So what you're saying, doesn't really hold any weight or matter.

Hell no, I'm not defending Ubisoft, but they actually felt the consequences for lying about WD1 and their reputation took a blow, rightfully so. They were honest about WD2 because they HAD to be, but in the end, WD2 was what it was, no one was tricked into thinking it was something else. R* has been manipulating, ignoring, and sh*tting on fans for years now, and people still want to treat them like gods.

In hindsight, what R* has done with GTA V is more egregious than what Ubi did with WD1; Ubi was dishonest about something that is superficial, the graphics, the game was going to be bad either way. R* changed the very nature of what a GTA game is right under our noses, piece by piece. Right now someone could buy GTA V and not even touch the single player mode and get a fuller, richer, and complete experience out of just playing GTAO, name me another GTA game where you could do that.

I could cope with games evolving into new things, but the fact that R* presented V as one thing then stealthily and gradually changed it into something else, all the while being completely silent on their earlier claims about single player, shows that they knew a lot of people weren't going like it if they were honest about their intentions from day one. I couldn't care less about what is or isn't a "hit", and there are a significant amount of people who feel the same as I do. 

• Algonquin Assassin, Piggsy pls and Yinepi like this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

Big Homie

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 3 weeks ago

Obviously GTA V, No Games can Beat it (IMO so don't get mad :p)

There's more thing I can do in GTA V more than WD and beside if you like hacking, There is a couple mission in V and Online where you hack something

Ertan Soner
  • Ertan Soner

Legendary Commenter

• Members
  • Turkey

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Ertan Soner, 2 weeks ago.

Wd2 is trash, I played first game and it is very good. I know graphics downgrade, bugs, glitches but I still enjoyed it...Then I played wd2, it is not that good compared to first game, too colorful and story is not that impressive. Truth is they failed.

Gta 5 is not the game I was expecting for, after 4 I thought story and gameplay is going to be more interesting but I was wrong. Story is just bulls**t and gameplay is huge downgrade, game feels fake and soulness. 

In short I don't like both games but if I had to choose one it would be gta 5

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users