PSA - PC Players - Risk of fraud, rank & outfit manipulation

1,627 replies to this topic
Pocket Fox
  • Pocket Fox

Kinda Foxy

• Members
  • None

Posted 6 days ago

^ It is playing russian roulett with your account. All sorts of stupid things can happen in public. Im trying to minimize the risk by joining friends and crew whenever i get online and lagg myself into solo public afterwards, since full lobbys attract scriptkids.

How can you lag yourself out into solo public session?

Open your Taskmanager, open the ressource monitor, find the process gta.exe under the cpu header, right click, halt process, wait 10 seconds, right klick again, resume process.
Please note that im using a german windows system and have to translate what im doing into english, so the wording might not be the exact same in your taskmanager.

If you're on PC it is easier to block ports rather than lag yourself out.

https://www.reddit.c...rts_using_your/

https://www.reddit.c..._online_pc_you/

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 6 days ago

And here is his Facebook account

Please don't link personal social media accounts, we prefer to stay away from the witch-hunting and doxxing side of things...I've edited them out of your post :)
  • Furry_Monkey, KWF1981 and flexcreator like this

Black-Dragon96
  • Black-Dragon96

Bounty Hunter

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 6 days ago

^ It is playing russian roulett with your account. All sorts of stupid things can happen in public. Im trying to minimize the risk by joining friends and crew whenever i get online and lagg myself into solo public afterwards, since full lobbys attract scriptkids.

How can you lag yourself out into solo public session?
Open your Taskmanager, open the ressource monitor, find the process gta.exe under the cpu header, right click, halt process, wait 10 seconds, right klick again, resume process.
Please note that im using a german windows system and have to translate what im doing into english, so the wording might not be the exact same in your taskmanager.

If you're on PC it is easier to block ports rather than lag yourself out.

https://www.reddit.c..._online_pc_you/

Yeah but then you are unable to play with friends, so thats not an option for me.

scs151
  • scs151

Rat

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 6 days ago

I am totally against modding in the multiplayer part of the game which is played by the majority of people. I mod quite a lot but only none playable games and i find it fun. I have made quite a lot of servers for GTA SA and so on but i will never touch GTA 5 until it is an active game. Sadly because of people who make menus with god mod and all sorts of things to annoy players, are the reason this game is in this state right now. I strongly believe GTA should be made and focused on PC since the sky is the limit where as console's limits are just too low for a wide out mass multiplayer game like this(my own opinion). But since consoles are where most companies get their income from i think that we will not get RDR for PC nor GTA 6. It is just to much work if it is not the main focus just to port a game only to be destroyed by so called "modders" all sorts of problems with them and all the bad press the PC port is getting.

• Darth Absentis likes this

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 6 days ago

^ it would be a shame if that happens.

Even if only from a graphics perspective, PCs push the boundaries of what's possible, and should IMHO be a flag ship product.

The new consoles currently have an effective hardware should but they will be cracked eventually as the last gen has been.

Quinn_flower
  • Quinn_flower

S.T.A.R.S Unit/The Dear R* Girl

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 6 days ago Edited by Quinn_flower, 6 days ago.

Ugh consoles no thanks. I don't want to play a gimped ver of gta.

Not since I joined "master race" I haven't touch a console for 4 months now.
  • MeatSafeMurderer, Darth Absentis, --V-- and 2 others like this

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

Master of procrastination

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 6 days ago Edited by Zombified Andy, 6 days ago.

The great aspect of PC gaming is the longer lasting effect games have on it, and both GTA and R* have a lot to thank to it. Say, if you want to bring on some nostalgia and replay GTA III, VC or SA, would you rather go get the old PS2 from the attic, hope it still works and connect the composite signal into a modern TV to get chopy FPS and poorly upscaled image, or get a cheap copy from Steam and play it on virtually any computer? Plus, the modding community (SP mods and the so popular online servers) kept these games relevant for over a decade and counting.

I hate when people try to make others think a particular platform is better than the others, and being a PC players for a few years I know it's far from being a perfect gaming platform - the online mode of games is a big downside on it due to the way online games work on PCs and until companies try to change the environment, it'll always be the patch-exploit circle over and over again. However, it's thanks to PC and it's immensely high compatibility that makes games sell and stay relevant for years to come, while console games are bound to a particular piece of hardware susceptible to be discontinued and that you'd probably sell at some point.
  • Jimbatron, EyeHeartGuts, Darth Absentis and 3 others like this

MeatSafeMurderer
  • MeatSafeMurderer

Itchy. Tasty.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 6 days ago

There's two sides to the coin. It's the openness of PC that brings us all the advantages...but the openness of the platform also makes it much, much easier for people to cheat online. It is very possible to police such things...but real work needs to be put in to doing it. That's why many companies rely on external anti-cheat; because it's difficult to get right. Rockstar apparently has no interest in doing either. That and the lack of dedicated servers, meaning the community cannot police itself, doomed GTA5 from the very beginning.
  • DentureDynamite and Zombified Andy like this

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 6 days ago

Hacking and cheating has always been around as long as online gaming has.

Yes it's harder on the consoles with a new platform as the hardware has to be cracked first. However, it will happen eventually for the PS4 and XboxOne just as it did for the PS3 and Xbox360. And that matters for R* even if you discount the PC equation. At the life cycles we are on, GTA VI will come out of the current gen, which will have been cracked by then.

What's upped the stakes is micro transactions and continual character progress. In GTA IV a hacker could just disrupt one match. Now they can potentially delete virtual currency bought with real money.

R* either need to get better at stopping it or else rethink their entire strategy for online. The problems affecting the PC and last gen shouldn't be seen as platform specific problems, rather a warning for the future.
  • badmoon, jackrobot, Darth Absentis and 2 others like this

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 6 days ago

The good thing on consoles is that the hacking concern is mostly entirely Microsoft's and Sony's business. They provide the paid service and so they take the effort to ensure the environment is closed and safe; R* only has to deal with game glitch exploits. On PC, however, the entire in-game security is responsibility of the game developer (Steam can take some actions but in the case of GTA V that's not obligatory, physical copies of it don't use Valve's system). I entirely agree with MeatSafeMurderer, each approach has it's own great advantages and disadvantages, and until the day the way console and PC gaming works and we get the speculated hybrid PC consoles, that's a decision each player has to do based on what he cares the most: safety and fairness in online gaming or better graphics, compatibility and user made content.

DentureDynamite
  • DentureDynamite

GTAO PC

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 6 days ago Edited by DentureDynamite, 6 days ago.

And (slightly OT, but FWIW), for all the alleged resource/sales competition between GTA Online and RDR2 I keep hearing about, if I were R*/Take Two, I'd be far more worried about outside games like Wild West Online. But as a PC gamer, I'm VERY eager. :)

Although it's still in its infancy, WWO is aimed squarely at the PC market--a gaping hole that RDR2 is not, and cannot, fill (at least until R* makes some kind of surprise announcement for a PC version).

Anyway, cheating is still alive and well on the PC...got both a $50k "You earned an additional wage payment..." GTA$ injection, and was teleported and blown up multiple times last night. I suspect R* is done with the "hotfixes" and will leave any further anti-cheat implementations for the Gunrunning DLC.

• hei3enberg and godtrams like this

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 6 days ago

Wasn't GTA V PC a rather surprise announcement as well? There's still hope, I think, most people just assume otherwise only because it's processor wasn't either.

d3mentu
  • d3mentu

Get Lost in the Bush!

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 6 days ago

This is how R* works (all games starting from GTA 3 to present If I remember correctly ) the game comes first to console and later to pc, I do not see the connection from gta online modders (PC) to RDR2 on PC. The last two game which they have brought to PC, GTA 4 and Max Payne 3 they had/have modders online. I remember 4-5 day after Max Payne 3 was released on pc the online part of this game was full of players useing wallhack, infinite ammo same thing happened to gta 4 online and R* brought gta 5 to PC that's how they work, console first later on pc or "never", but now the PC games market is too big to be ignore.

• hei3enberg likes this

gglenn1966
  • gglenn1966

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 6 days ago

This is how R* works (all games starting from GTA 3 to present If I remember correctly ) the game comes first to console and later to pc, I do not see the connection from gta online modders (PC) to RDR2 on PC. The last two game which they have brought to PC, GTA 4 and Max Payne 3 they had/have modders online. I remember 4-5 day after Max Payne 3 was released on pc the online part of this game was full of players useing wallhack, infinite ammo same thing happened to gta 4 online and R* brought gta 5 to PC that's how they work, console first later on pc or "never", but now the PC games market is too big to be ignore.

The new not-so-micro-transaction model makes thing different now than they were for GTA 4 and Max Payne 3.

d3mentu
  • d3mentu

Get Lost in the Bush!

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 6 days ago Edited by d3mentu, 6 days ago.

The new not-so-micro-transaction model makes thing different now than they were for GTA 4 and Max Payne 3.

Yes true but how buyes an shark card on pc and old gen,this number soooo small comper to curent gen is almost ignorant this is why R* dont care so much. (my opinion).

Bernie
  • Bernie

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 6 days ago Edited by Bernie, 6 days ago.

While reading "I was online and ... happened to me" I wonder why You go online at all. You know whats going on after reading here and anywhere else.

Staying away from GTAO on PC and OldGen results to modusers having no fun with no one to attack.

The makers of the Mod-Menus need You logging in!

Otherwise their customers run out of interest and they run out of business.

• Darth Absentis and Hellbendzor like this

--V--
  • --V--

;)

• Members
  • None

Posted 6 days ago

While reading "I was online and ... happened to me" I wonder why You go online at all. You know whats going on after reading here and anywhere else.
Staying away from GTAO on PC and OldGen results to modusers having no fun with no one to attack.
The makers of the Mod-Menus need You logging in!
Otherwise their customers run out of interest and they run out of business.

That's a good way to put it. Just one thing "Staying away from GTAO" should be "Staying away from Public sessions" cause that's where they "operate".

We just hang around in Invite Only. Just sucks that you can't do the Buy, Steal and Resupply missions there and with the cheater problem I sincerely hope they unlock everything in non-public ones.
  • Darth Absentis, Zombified Andy and Subaru like this

Hellbendzor
  • Hellbendzor

Hustler

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 6 days ago Edited by Hellbendzor, 6 days ago.

True (Bernie), but it remains a damn shame hardcore players/fans need to refrain from playing in popuated public sessions due to a-holes that spent money to just destroy/ruin other people's gameplay/hobby for 'fun'...

I heard and read some positive sounds in here, but still the negative experiences persist. Things are far from solved and I hope Dent is right (gunrunning dlc (temporarily) solve all issues)). Three more days of grinding in my solo public sessions and then I put my PC (and GTA) aside for six weeks and hopefully when I return to gaming in July, gunrunning is out and those hackers are out the door as well (for a few months), so I can finally enjoy some public fun again (racing, mugging jokes,...)...

Darth Absentis
  • Darth Absentis

Hopefully not your father

• Members
  • Belgium
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 6 days ago

Well, during the heist event, staying in invite only session really did wonders for me.

Like really, i went from 32 to 50 mil or something.

i think i'd might be nice if there maybe was some specific gtaforums pc crew made maybe ?

i always found the amount of crews made to be to damn high anyhow :p

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 5 days ago

Well, during the heist event, staying in invite only session really did wonders for me.

i think i'd might be nice if there maybe was some specific gtaforums pc crew made maybe ?

I really think as the game matures they need to open up all content to invite only. It's currently fine if you want to do heists, but obviously not CEO and Biker stuff with friends.

In IV as the game matured and they supported it less, they gave hosts the power to kick (previously it required a vote). That made it much quicker to get rid of a hacker and effectively the community to police itself (obviously you had the downside of some hosts abusing the power, but you just avoided games with such culprits, so on balance it was worth it).

It's not quite the same with GTAO since once a hacker is in the session the damage can be beyond one game or session. However, it's this kind of thinking R* need. All content in invite only would be a good first move I think.

• Darth Absentis likes this

Darth Absentis
  • Darth Absentis

Hopefully not your father

• Members
  • Belgium
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 5 days ago

I really think as the game matures they need to open up all content to invite only. It's currently fine if you want to do heists, but obviously not CEO and Biker stuff with friends.

In IV as the game matured and they supported it less, they gave hosts the power to kick (previously it required a vote). That made it much quicker to get rid of a hacker and effectively the community to police itself (obviously you had the downside of some hosts abusing the power, but you just avoided games with such culprits, so on balance it was worth it).

It's not quite the same with GTAO since once a hacker is in the session the damage can be beyond one game or session. However, it's this kind of thinking R* need. All content in invite only would be a good first move I think.

Yea well....looking at how they just left old gen to rot i would not count on it.

At best we soon get a time were every smart person just will download a mod, even if it was just for protection against script kids

DentureDynamite
  • DentureDynamite

GTAO PC

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 5 days ago

^^ You know, that thought has crossed my mind more than once (acting as a vigilante for the betterment of the session), but(!) temptation and human nature are not a good mix.

mute!
  • mute!

Playa

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 5 days ago

I'm not downloading any of those mods. Hopefully Rockstar will finally learn their lesson and use dedicated servers.

RDR2 will let us know if they did.
  • UMADBRO_OKAY likes this

lost-in-emotions
  • lost-in-emotions

Alice Liddell

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 5 days ago Edited by lost-in-emotions, 5 days ago.

What lesson?

R* now like:

lookatallthesefks.jpg

• UMADBRO_OKAY likes this

Gaffa™
  • Gaffa™

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 5 days ago

Nah, after all is said and done, I'm pretty sure RSG do actually care. I also believe they want to release future titles on the PC platform, and credit where it's due - the games several years old, probably past it's "use by" date but it still extremely popular and attracts attention. It is their first major online multiplayer counterpart to a game though and I think some things actually overwhelmed them. I don't think they realised how large of an issue things had gotten, but I WOULD be surprised if the next DLC update didn't have some sort of extra stuff going on with the anti-cheat. 

The thing with these cheats is:-
1) RSG will have lost out on literally billions of real life money due to all the modded money in the game - whether you've seen it in sessions or not, a good percentage of PC players have millions or billions in-game*,

2) Ironically most of these mod menus have protection from the very options that are available, either in their own menu or to protect against other people - so the only players who are at risk or being kicked, having their rank tampered with, money dropped on them or removed from them, etc - are the legitimate players who respect the ToS and don't use cheats, 

3) Yet the use of certain mods or features resulted in people being creative with map mods that other players could have fun with, or roaming in a huge autobot-tank-machine thingy that's taller than buildings which brought quite a lot of attention and media coverage, which in turn probably increased sales of the game.

*Glitching could have netted you a good amount of dough too, but then that requires some effort and exploits an error of the game, rather than either standing there (to receive it) or pressing a button in a menu (to give it). 

So hopefully RSG can learn and adapt, going forward but obviously the immediate situation had gotten out of hand, and support can sometimes be less than helpful. A few weeks after 1.29 or 1.30 (?) released, the public sessions got a little crazy too - but that was usually the constant water fountains being spawned on you or explosion loops, not what we have had these days which is/ was essentially full control of your character. The situation seems to have calmed a bit as of right now, but it'll be interesting to see what the future holds. 

• DentureDynamite and update_lsc like this

lost-in-emotions
  • lost-in-emotions

Alice Liddell

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 5 days ago

so everyone who get modded money must live withthat forever, because R* will not remove it?

i dont care if it sounds stupid, but im not happy to play with such an infected account for the rest of my life.

when their anti-cheat-engine would be better, i wouldnt say anything, but now it seems for me like:

http://gtaforums.com...entry1069581636

Black-Dragon96
  • Black-Dragon96

Bounty Hunter

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 5 days ago

so everyone who get modded money must live withthat forever, because R* will not remove it?
i dont care if it sounds stupid, but im not happy to play with such an infected account for the rest of my life.
when their anti-cheat-engine would be better, i wouldnt say anything, but now it seems for me like:

http://gtaforums.com...entry1069581636

What lets you think that?
The last update on the article basicly said that affected players will see corretions beingbmade to their account.

marcosjoga10
  • marcosjoga10

Player Hater

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 5 days ago

More 500k of GTA$ for me. Thanks modders  :colgate:

lost-in-emotions
  • lost-in-emotions

Alice Liddell

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 5 days ago

^^ because of that announcement!

on my account nothing is corrected?

at you?

Black-Dragon96
  • Black-Dragon96

Bounty Hunter

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 5 days ago

Not yet, but i think it will take a few days, maybe even until gunrunning.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users