Photo

PSA - PC Players - Risk of fraud, rank & outfit manipulation

1,663 replies to this topic
Gaffa™
  • Gaffa™

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:02 PM Edited by Gaffa, 11 April 2017 - 08:56 PM.

<Edited with extra information, see end of post.>

- - - - - - 

Q) Okay so is it definitely time to stay out of public GTA Online sessions if you're a PC player? 
A) Quite possibly, as other people can now change your rank remotely, in addition to other things.  

Explanation: Coders have recently discovered or perhaps more correctly been told, how to set another player's rank - something that will stick on your character unless you contact Rockstar Support and have that reversed, OR you delete that GTA Online character. This 'function' has already been included in a recent mod menu update that was created for the Online version of the PC game. 

The major issue in my eyes is that as the innocent player minding their own business and playing the game properly, you've got no idea this sort of thing is about to happen to you, and very little recourse as just explained, and if that cheater using such mod menu sets your rank to 8000, well then you only need to use your imagination to realise what unfolds as a result (a lot more reports and cheater accusations are just two things). 

That's not all either.

You can also be kicked from the session you're playing in, whether other players have reported you, voted to kick you or otherwise, again through the use of such mod menus, whereby the cheater only needs to browse to your name, select it, and a number of exploitative and griefing options are available. 
When you're kicked, you will most likely be greeted with the message "Failed to find a compatible GTA Online session"

Finally, there's one other thing which is probably the most important - so I hope you got to this stage of the post. Your cash can also be taken - and because Rockstar Games has continually failed to add a third type of GTA Online monetary balance (Maze Bank/ Wallet Cash/ Shark Cards), it means those players who have spent real life money on the game, could see that disappearing. 
This is not anything new - seasoned PC players will know about "insurance fraud" and it also hasn't been implemented in any mod menu - that I'm aware of - just yet, but it's definitely something to be on the watch for. 

I hate to give these guys any more views, but I thought I'd leave a video below as a way of 'proving to the naysayers' that it is possible. 

Spoiler

Thanks for reading, take it easy out there!

EDITED 10/ APR/ 2017 - Thread title updated (thanks staff) to reflect on updated information that a 'new' type of fraud is possible, depleting whatever money you've earned at a fast rate, and that we may shortly see outfits being modified by these mod menu users. 
If you do have any outfits you've worked hard for (limited/ special items) or don't want to see changed, please take pictures of your character outfits so that you have some form of recourse in the event that the problem cannot be rectified yourself. 

EDITED 11/ APR/ 2017 -

• Carrythxd, sasuke78200, Voit Turyv and 33 others like this

SoDank_ItPainsMe
  • SoDank_ItPainsMe

I found a use for the safe

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:04 PM

Are you telling us that you tested this menu and found out first hand that rank manipulation sticks? Or that you just watched this video and are going from that?

iSaint9
  • iSaint9

¡APAGANDO LAS LUCES!

• Mountain Bike Society
  • Spain

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:05 PM

This is one of the reasons I've stuck to SP. GTA Online on PC is full of crybabies and modders. And yes, I've been playing on a couple sessions before I said "f*ck it".

• hei3enberg, Darth Absentis and Xiled like this

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

FURIOUS STYLES

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:06 PM

I believe it is possible.  Hackers are pieces of sh*t.  I can afford a high end gaming rig but would never do it due to things like this.  It's a shame things like this happen.  With millions of players and thousand of cheaters I don't know how Rockstar could ever get ahead of all of them.  

When you cut one head off the snake...

• Killa Ker, Mr.ClaudeFan, truffleshuffle03 and 9 others like this

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

Everyone's favorite Uncle, but not Grandpa.

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:09 PM Edited by Uncle Sikee Atric, 09 April 2017 - 06:12 PM.

weird-strange-moving-animated-pictures-a

It's a mod menu, as used by failures and useless players to make them feel better....

There's nothing here I didn't already know and suspect, and since I rarely play GTA Online anymore, I am not really bothered.

Let the failures have their fun.  The game was ruined when it was launched without the necessary safeguards.

• Mr.ClaudeFan, rsquattro, 4N0M4LY and 1 other like this

Gaffa™
  • Gaffa™

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:11 PM

Are you telling us that you tested this menu and found out first hand that rank manipulation sticks? Or that you just watched this video and are going from that?

No I've heard several reports of it. 

It's real. 

MeatSafeMurderer
  • MeatSafeMurderer

Itchy. Tasty.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:12 PM

Oh...for f*ck sake.
Even if I don't run into cheaters that often this is enough to keep me off GTA:O for good. Time to get that FiveM server up and running me thinks.

Oh...and calling these people "hackers" is an insult to both the cracking and hacking communities; both of which are filled with talented individuals with great skill.
  • Gaffa™, Mattoropael, Kesha_F1 and 11 others like this

The Sole Survivor
  • The Sole Survivor

of vault 111

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:01 PM

but pc master race right?

jk
i want to go to pc but can't because of this bs
  • Killa Ker, LeakyLine, CarimboHanky and 8 others like this

Quinn_flower
  • Quinn_flower

S.T.A.R.S Unit/The Dear R* Girl

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:04 PM

Yikes good thing I stay out of public. Yea I know I have no friends but safe than sorry
  • Kesha_F1, Dan Dark, Darth Absentis and 4 others like this

--V--
  • --V--

;)

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:07 PM

Haven't seen a cheater in an assisted aim session before. They're all in Free Aim (mostly because everyone on PC is playing with a kb/m and they prefer free aim).
Just encountered few cheaters the other day in an Assisted Aim session. But they didn't do nothing, except teleport everyone in the session at the same spot for an easy kill.

That being said, thank God the methods for making a Public "Solo" Session still work. So I can start Piracy Prevention and "lag out" of the lobby and invite my friends into a friendly session.
  • somebunny likes this

Daedalheidis
  • Daedalheidis

Yenma For President Of The Universe 2k17

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:10 PM

This only makes me want to play GTA Online PC even more. I want to have an all out war with a bunch of modders. Sounds like fun.

• vnus_dmlo and JohnnyXThunders like this

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

FURIOUS STYLES

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:21 PM

This only makes me want to play GTA Online PC even more. I want to have an all out war with a bunch of modders. Sounds like fun.

If you ever come across a modder it's not a war. They remove your weapon wheel, turn your character into a naked old man and teleport behind you and shotgun you in the head.
  • Mr.ClaudeFan, truffleshuffle03, Darth Absentis and 4 others like this

puredorian
  • puredorian

Rat

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:59 PM Edited by puredorian, 09 April 2017 - 07:59 PM.

Yep, that video game me a cancer.

I could see this coming from a miles away, now only imagine what it would be when Rock* is finally done with updating a game, a wasteland of losers mess.

And since only 5 incompetent developers are working right now on GTAO project, I expect nothing in coming years, it's too late now, not even mention that they can't fix the game alone. https://www.rockstar...s-in-gta-online this article still gives me good laugh though.

f*ck Sharks, wish somebody would crash their Shark Server too, so Rockstar would finally be pissed to fix this once and for all.

• Xiled and dmccune67 like this

Darth Absentis
  • Darth Absentis

Lord of Edges(i guess)

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

"shuts down game"

• Mr.ClaudeFan likes this

eyman
  • eyman

Nothing Special

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:10 PM Edited by eyman, 09 April 2017 - 08:12 PM.

Od9qxPZ.png

Credit: CyborgWarrior

• Sky_Light12, Darth Absentis, 4N0M4LY and 2 others like this

nm69
  • nm69

Playa

• Members

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:12 PM

Somebody already asked R* to ban the user. Although I can not find the user TabbinaBearina on Socialclub anymore, I wonder if they changed it to something else after launching the video. 
Would upvoting somebody else's old ticket work?  Give it a try here:

https://support.rock...cheat-mods-hack

Daedalheidis
  • Daedalheidis

Yenma For President Of The Universe 2k17

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:17 PM

If you ever come across a modder it's not a war. They remove your weapon wheel, turn your character into a naked old man and teleport behind you and shotgun you in the head.

You've got to fight fire with fire!

Black-Dragon96
  • Black-Dragon96

Bounty Hunter

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:25 PM

If you ever come across a modder it's not a war. They remove your weapon wheel, turn your character into a naked old man and press a button to instantly kill the whole lobby.

Fixed that for you.
  • PkUnzipper, Darth Absentis, 4N0M4LY and 3 others like this

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

FURIOUS STYLES

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:37 PM

You've got to fight fire with fire!

They are a forest fire. You are a match.
  • Purgen likes this

Gaffa™
  • Gaffa™

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:05 PM

If someone gets fed up, they'll just crash your game too, forcing you to restart GTAV. 

Oh, and had a couple of reports of rank 8000's now - whether they were like that for a while or if it's just been set is unknown. Ludicrous. 

Darth Absentis
  • Darth Absentis

Lord of Edges(i guess)

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:44 PM

If someone gets fed up, they'll just crash your game too, forcing you to restart GTAV. 

Oh, and had a couple of reports of rank 8000's now - whether they were like that for a while or if it's just been set is unknown. Ludicrous. 

Worst of all is that the reports themselves are said to give people bad sport points.

No idea tbh if this has always been the case, but yea, really, a report IMO should simply notify rockstar of sh*t happening and then them dealing with it, not giving people automaticly BS points.

• truffleshuffle03, Xiled, KADENZA and 1 other like this

Gaffa™
  • Gaffa™

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:49 PM

Worst of all is that the reports themselves are said to give people bad sport points.

No idea tbh if this has always been the case, but yea, really, a report IMO should simply notify rockstar of sh*t happening and then them dealing with it, not giving people automaticly BS points.

And isn't it ironic that, with a mod menu, those bad sport points can be removed? 

Leaving on a pun: the farce is strong with this one... 

• Darth Absentis, Xiled and Purgen like this

JamesTKirk
  • JamesTKirk

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:52 PM

It cannot possibly "stick", the level change.  Or at the very least, if it does "stick", then that means it's been changed on Rockstar's master database where all our info is kept...  and that means they are literally hacking Rockstars servers via some online lobby hack.

Sorry, I just don't buy it.  Can't happen like that, or even if somehow it can, Rockstar can easily "see" the hack take place (such as my level goes instantly from 108 to 250, an obvious red flag) and can therefore easily catch it and remedy it.

Gaffa™
  • Gaffa™

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:56 PM

It cannot possibly "stick", the level change.  Or at the very least, if it does "stick", then that means it's been changed on Rockstar's master database where all our info is kept...  and that means they are literally hacking Rockstars servers via some online lobby hack.

Sorry, I just don't buy it.  Can't happen like that, or even if somehow it can, Rockstar can easily "see" the hack take place (such as my level goes instantly from 108 to 250, an obvious red flag) and can therefore easily catch it and remedy it.

I'm not in a position to tell you what to do, all I can say is "ask someone who's got access to it and try it out". I don't know why you would think they're hacking servers - if someone drops money on you, does that stick? Of course it does - they're not hacking servers to do that... 

Whilst the rank change(s) can be easily monitored and reverted, it DOES mean anyone that gets affected must contact Rockstar Games for it to be rectified - it won't happen automatically. 

The Sole Survivor
  • The Sole Survivor

of vault 111

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:57 PM

... if they could be bothered

they can't be.

JamesTKirk
  • JamesTKirk

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:00 AM

When I got cash from a hacker, I deposited it into my bank in increments of 100K to try and avoid detection.  LOL  I think in the real world they call that "structuring" and it's probably the easiest and biggest red flag there is for the federal fools...  but Rockstar didn't catch my obvious red flag of about 20 or 30 deposits of 100K within a 5 minute window...  so maybe you guys do have a point.  hahaha

Darth Absentis
  • Darth Absentis

Lord of Edges(i guess)

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:40 AM

Man, this kind of sh*t makes cheating more tempting and tempting.

I swear, if there somehow was an exploit that would not per se a glitch, like suddenly being capable to sell high end cars of the street without timer or something, i pretty much would be at it already.

Especially if you consider that currently they are trying as best as they can to fight cheaters, it becomes all pretty laughable.

• Xiled and Happy Hunter like this

update_lsc
  • update_lsc

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:58 AM Edited by update_lsc, 10 April 2017 - 12:58 AM.

When I got cash from a hacker, I deposited it into my bank in increments of 100K to try and avoid detection.  LOL  I think in the real world they call that "structuring" and it's probably the easiest and biggest red flag there is for the federal fools...  but Rockstar didn't catch my obvious red flag of about 20 or 30 deposits of 100K within a 5 minute window...  so maybe you guys do have a point.  hahaha

...when will people realise that it doesn't matter whether you deposit it all at once, deposit only a bit at a time or keep it as cash. It's in your account anyways. Whoever came up with this brilliant idea that rockstar can't see cheated cash unless you deposit it, is an idiot. 

• Killa Ker, eyman, We Are Ninja and 9 others like this

Quinn_flower
  • Quinn_flower

S.T.A.R.S Unit/The Dear R* Girl

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:12 AM

Man, this kind of sh*t makes cheating more tempting and tempting.
I swear, if there somehow was an exploit that would not per se a glitch, like suddenly being capable to sell high end cars of the street without timer or something, i pretty much would be at it already.

Especially if you consider that currently they are trying as best as they can to fight cheaters, it becomes all pretty laughable.

If there's a mod menu to give me every single limited edition clothing would be nice. Cause I'm tired of waiting and waiting for one specific shirt to come.
  • Black Terminator, Darth Absentis, Xiled and 4 others like this

FourFingersOfFun
  • FourFingersOfFun

Homie

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:20 AM

Currently, I believe all the major loser menus have insurance fraud in them, I know Force menu does but it's only for people who have spent 100 f*cking dollars for access to that menu, and it can't even do anything since rockstar has disabled insurance and bad sport points for blowing up PV's on PC for nearly a year now.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users