» «
Photo

GTX 660Ti as a recommended spec?

8 replies to this topic
Johnnyboy
  • Johnnyboy

Peon

• Members

Posted 09 April 2017 - 12:50 PM Edited by Johnnyboy, 09 April 2017 - 12:54 PM.

Hello all,

I know there has been a thousand threads about this but I'm genuinely surprised about what I'm experiencing on my end.
The store page shows that GTA V recommends a GTX 660. I have a GTX 660Ti yet I still have quite a lot of intermittent lags in many areas (singleplayer). Not only when I'm driving, but also when I walk. And it seems to be worse at night. The lags seem to worsen with time but I'm not sure on that.
All this while most of my graphics settings aren't even on max.

How high can the graphics settings be set for a 660Ti? Here are mine:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!...2IY5s-UDxDhtCMw

I run the game at 1920x1080 with FXAA (no MSAA) on fullscreen.
The VRAM is slightly over the limit but I from what I understand, this isn't always heavily linked to performance. Also, I'd really prefer the Textures to be on High since its reduced quality on Normal is very noticeable for me.

My PC specs:
Windows 10 Pro x64 with Creators update, using Game Mode
GTX 660Ti with 381.65 WHQL drivers
8GB RAM
CPU i5-3570K (stock speed)
1 TB HDD

Shouldn't a 660Ti be able to run the game at 60fps without problems on these graphics settings??

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:32 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 09 April 2017 - 01:33 PM.

recommended specs doesnt mean you will be able to play it on max

60fps on high/very high at 1080p for a 660 ti seem a bit to mutch IMO

Johnnyboy
  • Johnnyboy

Peon

• Members

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:36 PM Edited by Johnnyboy, 09 April 2017 - 01:37 PM.

recommended specs doesnt mean you will be able to play it on max

60fps on high/very high at 1080p for a 660 ti seem a bit to mutch IMO

I don't even have it at max. I would at least expect it to run on High/Very High settings if my specs is even a bit higher than the recommended. 

Perhaps there are some things outside the game that can be tuned?

LevelDockSix
  • LevelDockSix

Sure Shot

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • India

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:46 PM Edited by LevelDockSix, 09 April 2017 - 02:49 PM.

When you say lag do you mean stuttering? Because I doubt your 660Ti is failing you because my 970M is (supposedly) equivalent to a GTX760 and it runs everything at 1080p60 with graphics all maxed (no MSAA and grass at high) with extended shadows under Advanced Graphics.

I've heard that the new win 10 creators update has been causing certain issues too with some options, I suggest you google that as well. The /r/grandtheftautov_pc subreddit had a few threads recently on this IIRC.

Also I've seen some people saying 8 GB of RAM might cause stuttering on an extended playthrough and once they upgraded to 16 or so it was fine. Defragging the HDD also apparently fixed some issues for others.

edit: I remember seeing a Gamersnexus video about how a lot of i5 CPUs have an issue with stuttering on GTA 5.

• hei3enberg likes this

Johnnyboy
  • Johnnyboy

Peon

• Members

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:06 PM Edited by Johnnyboy, 09 April 2017 - 03:11 PM.

When you say lag do you mean stuttering? Because I doubt your 660Ti is failing you because my 970M is (supposedly) equivalent to a GTX760 and it runs everything at 1080p60 with graphics all maxed (no MSAA and grass at high) with extended shadows under Advanced Graphics.

I've heard that the new win 10 creators update has been causing certain issues too with some options, I suggest you google that as well. The /r/grandtheftautov_pc subreddit had a few threads recently on this IIRC.

Also I've seen some people saying 8 GB of RAM might cause stuttering on an extended playthrough and once they upgraded to 16 or so it was fine. Defragging the HDD also apparently fixed some issues for others.

edit: I remember seeing a Gamersnexus video about how a lot of i5 CPUs have an issue with stuttering on GTA 5.

Thanks for the info and advice. I do think it's really lag in some areas, not really stuttering. I'll definitely go check the thread on the Creators Update. So much for the featured "Game Mode" in that update  :bored: .

I did indeed read that 8GB of RAM is apparently not really sufficient if you want to play GTA V on high settings, might explain why the lag increases with playing time.

Really a bummer since it's a great and beautiful looking game that I'm trying to enjoy, but my graphics OCD just ruins it.  

Edit: Did you mean this ink: https://www.reddit.c...reators_update/ ? Because this is mainly about GTA V crashing with the Creators Update. Don't have this problem myself luckily.

Johnnyboy
  • Johnnyboy

Peon

• Members

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:05 AM Edited by Johnnyboy, 10 April 2017 - 01:19 AM.

Update:

Can't believe I missed this. Basically I was demanding my 660Ti to run at 60 fps constantly. Turning Vsync OFF in the game and turning Adaptive Vsync ON in the nVIdia Control Panel did wonders for me. It were the jumps to 30fps that I couldn't stand.

Turning Population Density and Variety a bit down to around 70%, I was able to use the settings I posted in the link in my OP while even raising Shadow Quality further to Very High (really like the headlights shadow effect) along with enabling High Detail Streaming While Flying. VRAM exceeded by around 180mb.
With this the benchmark test gave a minimum of 54 fps, which for me isn't a bother at all. Playing so far rarely gave me any screen tearing.

Might have to tweak the settings a tad bit down when reaching the forest later on but so far, I'm happy. 

• LevelDockSix and ACM-Jan like this

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

Usually helpful, BUT very defensive upon disrespect

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:02 AM

Good call on adaptive Vsync on graphics card control panel and turning game setting off, its universally beneficial move and even lost micro stutters i used to have!

• hei3enberg likes this

Johnnyboy
  • Johnnyboy

Peon

• Members

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:33 PM

Good call on adaptive Vsync on graphics card control panel and turning game setting off, its universally beneficial move and even lost micro stutters i used to have!

Glad it fixed your issue as well. For some reason I always seem to forget to toggle this option every time I play a game and think that my 660Ti is really not suited for the game.

• hei3enberg likes this

hei3enberg
  • hei3enberg

Too old for this sh*t

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:34 PM

^ Used to have grass issues until turned adaptive vsync on 980, so yeah, it means a lot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users