Photo

Why grief?

899 replies to this topic
MysticJon
  • MysticJon

Legit Player

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:34 AM Edited by MysticJon, 07 April 2017 - 09:49 AM.

This is a topic I've been meaning to make for a while now and haven't gotten around to it. I'm looking for an actual discussion here, no attacking each other. I'm genuinely curious as to why some players go and purposefully screw up what other players are doing. Players minding their own business, they're delivering Import/Export vehicles, or collecting CEO crates, or whatever. Maybe someone is just standing on a corner, some guy drives up, gets out, shoots him, then drives off. Why? What is the reason? What is the thought process that makes someone want to go and interfere with what another player is doing?

Most of the things that players do in freemode to grief, the game has game modes built in for them to play. Wanna kill people? Play a deathmatch. Wanna blow up cars? Do a vehicle deathmatch. Wanna make money? Heists, or really any activity. Wanna fly a jet? Do a jet race or jet deathmatch. Etc, you get the point.

Me personally, I'm a "treat others the way you want to be treated" type of person. I wouldn't want someone to mess up what I'm doing, so I don't go and mess with other players while they're doing their thing. And even if I were, the reward for interfering is next to nothing, so that's a non-factor. But yea, let's please have an actual discussion about this, I'm very curious how others view this situation.
  • Mister Pink, saintsrow, Jimbatron and 29 others like this

Happy Hunter
  • Happy Hunter

Oft-requested

• Members
  • None
  • Governor of San Andreas 2017
    Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:40 AM

It's essentially a harder, more far-gone version of trolling. You know, there's the light, playful, lovable troll who squashes you in a Cargobob - then there's the more corrupted griefer who prefers to just torture you in a jet, etc.

The most accurate answer would be "for the lulz" - as unsatisfactory as that might be for the victim.

It just is what it is.

• kietotheworld, MrGrandis, vnus_dmlo and 29 others like this

OBeef619
  • OBeef619

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:42 AM

People grief because it is encouraged by R*
  • saintsrow, iBUCKEYE, middevonclown and 13 others like this

VoodooVibez
  • VoodooVibez

🤜Kovic Klan🤛

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:44 AM

I don't target players doing CEO/BIKER crate/vehicle deliveries, but I enjoy killing randoms and going on a spree... I don't run off though, I leave that to them if they dont want to fight.

• Orra and Happy Hunter like this

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:45 AM

Because it makes my e-peen even larger, Its Growing harder each day.

skoMEr1.gif

• MrGrandis, LoveFist87, vnus_dmlo and 15 others like this

Foxy Stevenson
  • Foxy Stevenson

WASTED

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:45 AM

Why not? It's part of the game.

• Sinner's Rise, LightningLord, DEADLY-BREED and 5 others like this

Zeta87
  • Zeta87

Homie

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:47 AM

That's why you can report someone for griefing, Rockstar Logic.

• gtafan26, dtsmucker, Sky_Light12 and 6 others like this

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:52 AM

That's why you can report someone for griefing, Rockstar Logic.

Reporting only gives you a badsport point. Which these days are about as worthless as the Rhino which caused most of us to go badsport back in 2013 anyway.

Didn't work for me though, i always glitched my way out. This did cause my badsport lobby timer to rise up sky high though. Next time i do go to badsport and can't glitch out, i will be in badsport for a year or more.

• Happy Hunter likes this

AndreasDuke
  • AndreasDuke

Tell me your story

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:58 AM

So glad this thread exists. I'm curious what the answers will be. I killed a random once with a hydra to see why people like it and I just felt like a tool so I didn't do it again haha
  • LeakyLine, middevonclown, LightningLord and 5 others like this

OhItsChristian
  • OhItsChristian

Sorry Not Sorry

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:09 AM

I feel as though people grief in GTA because it feels good to them. Think about it you get off from a stressful day of work/school and you start up GTA Online. What's the first thing that comes to mind in an open world game which you can do pretty much anything in while being in a competitive environment? How can I mess up the days of others? Grief them to extinction. I understand that others may have had a stressful day who are doing CEO/BIKER work, but everyone is different with taking out the weight of the normal word and you can do that however you feel like it in GTA. As long as the GTA Online gameplay is open world and not just a few people in cooperative things like missions or heists griefing will never die. It's sad to see it from this standing point, but it is what it is. Now, I indulge in a couple kills every once and a while, but I'm no griefer. This "statement on why people grief" is coming from you average play so of course I may not be spot on. I'm just trying to see it from a griefers perspective and this is the best explanation I could think of.
  • vnus_dmlo, iLLYHiGHROLLER, LightningLord and 3 others like this

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:11 AM

The simple fact is that GTA:O is just full of dickheads. And there is like a 1/10 chance of finding a fun dude who's cool to hang around with doing crazy stuff. So when start the grieving with a jet for example, 9/10 people you kill, would have shot you on spot as it is. So killing those turdjugglers can be fun as they deserve it anyway, and they can't do anything to you. Because well, you're in a jet, and as long as you can strife and do a left or right turn, nobody except another jet can hit you. And then there is Passive mode if you think another jet is about to out-gun you.

And then you can start insulting said pilot thats now on your tail, go off-radar and hop out of passive mode and send him back to the ground. Where you can start grieving once more. And continue insulting offcourse. Because once you start, you might as well keep it going.

• gtafan26, LightningLord, Orra and 3 others like this

AmyStone
  • AmyStone

Amy Stone

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:20 AM

Because some people get satisfaction out of trying to ruin your day. So the best thing to do if you get swooped on by an off the radar Hydra and get killed is to go passive then change sessions. Don't give them the satisfaction.

• dtsmucker, LightningLord, Orra and 8 others like this

askinnywhitedildo
  • askinnywhitedildo

Jester Classic or GTFO

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:37 AM

Because killing makes my dick hard 

• iBUCKEYE, Rambo_AFC, psymin and 13 others like this

The Spook
  • The Spook

Driver - Assassin

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:38 AM

Because some people just choose to be morons. "Because it's GTA," is the usual answer. I did it on 360 because there wasn't much to do outside of Heists - when they finally were released - jobs, and survival, There's a lot more to do on next gen, but people will still be morons. It's to be expected.

• dtsmucker, Orra, PajeroJonas and 1 other like this

vnus_dmlo
  • vnus_dmlo

$ $ $

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:42 AM

its the most fun you can have playing gta with your pants on!

ruining people is 50% of freemode, its what makes the game fun, imagine if the whole game was just driving back and forth delivering crates and cars and drugs.. thats boring!

griefers add the chase, the anxiety.. knowing things can go wrong is what makes things fun, they dont doit for money they doit for the fun of it, theres nthing more tense than being chased down by a crazed lunatic while youre trying to make a big delivery, and nothing more satisfying than destroying someones cargo

griefers cant exist without normal players and they know and respect that, but normal players have to understand that their playstyles cant exist without griefers either
  • VoodooVibez, DEADLY-BREED, chef_archie and 5 others like this

SHOKKERZ91
  • SHOKKERZ91

Fly low for the killing blow!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:42 AM

For fun. Simple as that.

• vnus_dmlo, Sinner's Rise, VoodooVibez and 3 others like this

Khephera
  • Khephera

The Neter against the Neteru

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:47 AM

but normal players have to understand that their playstyles cant exist without griefers either

I don't get it. I can't deliver crates, cars and drugs without griefers?^^

• stickboy, Shadowmew, Dan Dark and 18 others like this

Zader
  • Zader

cocksucker

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:50 AM

Rockstar wants me to.

• Actlikeyouknow likes this

LongJohnTeabagger
  • LongJohnTeabagger

LJT out.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:52 AM

This is a topic I've been meaning to make for a while now and haven't gotten around to it. I'm looking for an actual discussion here, no attacking each other. I'm genuinely curious as to why some players go and purposefully screw up what other players are doing. Players minding their own business, they're delivering Import/Export vehicles, or collecting CEO crates, or whatever. Maybe someone is just standing on a corner, some guy drives up, gets out, shoots him, then drives off. Why? What is the reason? What is the thought process that makes someone want to go and interfere with what another player is doing?

Me personally, I'm a "treat others the way you want to be treated" type of person. I wouldn't want someone to mess up what I'm doing, so I don't go and mess with other players while they're doing their thing. And even if I were, the reward for interfering is next to nothing, so that's a non-factor. But yea, let's please have an actual discussion about this, I'm very curious how others view this situation.

The simple answer is this; you give someone the means to cause chaos, they will either cause the aforementioned indiscriminate chaos, partake in it sometimes, or not do it whatsoever.

Collibosher
  • Collibosher

Mach1: Collibosher has some serious issues (and he is not kiddin

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:01 AM

For fun. Simple as that.

No it's not simple as that. You really need to explain why is it "fun" making other people miserable? I personally would feel awful, if I would for example destroy someone's crate, even by accident.

Most human beings have this thing called "empathy" so only way you can enjoy griefing is if you lack it. You are one of those who used to bully other people at school, because it's "fun"? You must be a nice person to hang around with...

• Shadowmew, Dan Dark, FlacidJack and 18 others like this

PajeroJonas
  • PajeroJonas

PC Player CET timezone #paletostrong

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • Sweden

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:02 AM

but normal players have to understand that their playstyles cant exist without griefers either

Explain why I can't do my thing without griefers.

• Dan Dark, LoveFist87, gtafan26 and 5 others like this

vnus_dmlo
  • vnus_dmlo

$ $ $

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:05 AM

I don't get it. I can't deliver crates, cars and drugs without griefers?^^
the system rockstar developed is designed to cater to both griefers and non griefers

the game isnt a delivery sim and for good reason, if their werent griefers the modes wouldve had to have been designed differently to make them entertaining

bottomline is no the system wouldnt exist if their werent griefers so be grateful theyre there even if they frustrate you, thats the purpose they serve

Happy Hunter
  • Happy Hunter

Oft-requested

• Members
  • None
  • Governor of San Andreas 2017
    Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:12 AM Edited by Happy Hunter, 07 April 2017 - 04:13 AM.

For fun. Simple as that.

No it's not simple as that. You really need to explain why is it "fun" making other people miserable? I personally would feel awful, if I would for example destroy someone's crate, even by accident.

Most human beings have this thing called "empathy" so only way you can enjoy griefing is if you lack it. You are one of those who used to bully other people at school, because it's "fun"? You must be a nice person to hang around with...

giphy.gif

I don't like bullies. Never bullied anyone.

But I wouldn't lose much sleep over destroying someone's crates. I know it's a d*ck move sure, and I don't tend to do it - but at the end of the day you're taking away someone's progress in a videogame; not physically harming them or hurting their feelings.

Destroying cargo is a d*ck move in my opinion, but it's hardly psychopathic to blow up someone's virtual cargo. It's just trollery, pushed to the next level into the realms of griefery.

All that said, I don't get why peaceful players "need" griefer players to enjoy themselves. They really don't lol.

• vnus_dmlo, gtafan26, dtsmucker and 8 others like this

AndreasDuke
  • AndreasDuke

Tell me your story

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:16 AM

I can't understand the justification that it is designed that way. It's real people who are impacted by griefers. There are many systems in the world that are designed allowing people to make others miserable, does that mean we should be doing that? If I take every opportunity to upset everyone around me is that going to make the world a better place?
  • Dan Dark, dtsmucker, Actlikeyouknow and 5 others like this

MeisterJazz
  • MeisterJazz

The best there is...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:18 AM

Because it's f*cking funny sometimes. I take great pleasure sometimes making other players experience a misery sometimes. 

• vnus_dmlo likes this

effenG
  • effenG

mr nice guy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:22 AM

I spawned in my office overlooking the beach this morning. Looking out my front window I immediately noticed that there was some d!ck in a jet griefing the entire coastline from the pier to the airport and back. He flew fast and low and shot at everything that moved. I have to admit, this pilot could really fly. About a minute later, another player roared in with a jet of their own to challenge the "tough guy." They circled and soared directly in front on my window and did a few loops around my building. The "good guy" was soon bettered- his plane exploded in a fireball right in front of me and fell to the ground in smashed little pieces. What a show. It was awesome! I felt sorry for the innocent but this feeling passed quickly... After all, it was just another day in GTAO. 

• Orra, El-Gaddafii, Actlikeyouknow and 2 others like this

Khephera
  • Khephera

The Neter against the Neteru

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:23 AM

For fun. Simple as that.

giphy.gif

I don't like bullies. Never bullied anyone.

But I wouldn't lose much sleep over destroying someone's crates. I know it's a d*ck move sure, and I don't tend to do it - but at the end of the day you're taking away someone's progress in a videogame; not physically harming them or hurting their feelings.

This. And the remote diagnosis wasn't very nice either. No empathy or what? :D

• dtsmucker, Actlikeyouknow, Amy Vinewood and 1 other like this

Rafae
  • Rafae

OG

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:09 AM Edited by RafaeSheikh, 07 April 2017 - 05:09 AM.

Why do people do any of the things they do in this game? Simple, because they can

If they can do it, trust me when I say some actually will. That's when it becomes your responsibility to choose the right sessions to do "freeroam work" in, otherwise always be vigilante and prepared to have your product attacked.

Just the way it is, OP. It's a dog eat dog world.
  • Happy Hunter and STINKY_BAWLZ like this

Freddie Gecko
  • Freddie Gecko

Crackhead

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:15 AM

Gta online is a hostile place. To rise above, you become the monster you despise. It's a vicious cycle. Being run over in contact missions was the start of my learning curve. After heists and all the fun times that brought playing with randoms, I found the dark side quite appealing. Why don't you grief?

Audi
  • Audi

Don't Pray For Me, Homie Pray For The Weak

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Slovenia
  • Best Turbo Quattro 2017

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:20 AM

Deny it all you want, but R* encourages and rewards other players to disrupt freeroam jobs and ceo/vip/mc work. Obviously some will just keep picking on you over and over again even after the work is done or failed. They keep doing it for the "lulz" as others have said.

Either stoop to their level and become a griefer yourself, "git gud" and fight them off or change sessions. 

• aaronBLUEeyes, dtsmucker, Rafae and 6 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users