13 Reasons Why - Netflix

74 replies to this topic
InstaNoodles
  • InstaNoodles

Goes through you in 3 minutes

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:07 AM

So, I finished this series on Netflix, and I just have to say that this series is amazing and definately worth a binge. It's a very dark and suspensful series, and I will say that there were some scenes that are hard to watch due to how graphic they are. This show is NOT shy about controversial topics.
13 Reasons Why is based on the novel of the same name. Essentially, it's about a 17 year old girl, named Hannah Baker (played by Katherine Langford) and why she killed herself. Before she killed herslef, Hannah recorded herself on cassette tapes, each tape telling why she did what she did. Those "reasons" are about the people who either hurt her and/or ruined her.
Anyway, the show is from the perspective of a 17 year old boy, named Clay Jensen (played by Dylan Minnette). Clay was a classmate and coworker of Hannah and had a big crush on her. He fits into the story, because one of the tapes is about him. They both liked each other, but neither the bravery to say it, and Clay is very introverted and awkward.
Overall, 13 Reasons Why is definately a memorable series. I can really relate to Clay, mainly because we are both the awkward, geeky, and introverted kid in the back of the classroom. If you have seen 13 Reasons Why, post your thoughts and opinions. I would love to discuss the events that occur in the show and the outcomes with you. If you haven't, check it out on Netflix.
  • Mister Pink, Algonquin Assassin, Ivan1997GTA and 1 other like this

Raavi
  • Raavi

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation

• Administrator
  • European-Union
  • Best Moderator 2016
    Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:14 AM

Spoiler

• InstaNoodles likes this

InstaNoodles
  • InstaNoodles

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:43 AM

Spoiler

Yeah, I'm not lying when I say I almost puked. It's one thing to hear about it. It's another to actually see it...

Rafae
  • Rafae

Boss

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:51 AM

Might have to start watching this lol
  • Mister Pink and DarkSavageDeathlyCloud like this

InstaNoodles
  • InstaNoodles

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:56 PM

Might have to start watching this lol

You should. My description doesn't do the show justice. The actors did an amazing job and the show can get really intense really fast.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:13 AM

Literally just finished it and

Spoiler

• RussianCommie, RogerWho and InstaNoodles like this

InstaNoodles
  • InstaNoodles

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:41 AM

Literally just finished it and

Spoiler

I wish they gave us an epilogue episode. It would have been more satisfying than the ending they gave us. More time to see the outcomes of the show. I heard they were planning on a second season, but I'm not sure how it'll play out. It should've probably ended with just one season.
  • Spider-Vice likes this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:56 PM

Sounds intriguing. I do like well-done teenage dramas.

InstaNoodles
  • InstaNoodles

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:23 PM

Sounds intriguing. I do like well-done teenage dramas.

Go for it! The show will make you think and the dialogue isn't over dramatic. Some scenes I feel weren't needed, but I guess they build character.

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:25 PM

Might have to watch this now that its Spring Break.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

XMD5A

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for using spoilers, people. I just started this today. I just watched two episodes. It's such a compelling binge-worthy show. 

I think the dialogue so far has been great. They really nail the parent/teen stuff realistically and the writer Jay Asher (not sure if he worked on the screenplay) seems to be really "with it" in terms of getting school politics and dialogue right. 

I was a little skeptical at first but jumped right I know it's only 2 episodes it's all ready really captivating. 

• Raavi and RogerWho like this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:28 PM Edited by RogerWho, 09 April 2017 - 11:24 PM.

^ Pretty much. Also 2 episodes in and it's getting interesting.

Not really a spoiler

Spoiler
We'll see.

• Mister Pink likes this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:24 PM Edited by RogerWho, 09 April 2017 - 11:43 PM.

Okay the 4th episode just pissed me off.

Spoiler
The writers can go f*ck themselves.

InstaNoodles
  • InstaNoodles

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:34 AM Edited by InstaNoodles, 10 April 2017 - 04:37 AM.

Okay the 4th episode just pissed me off.

Spoiler
The writers can go f*ck themselves.

Spoiler

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

XMD5A

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:51 PM

I just watched the 3rd episode. I like some of the music throughout. In the 3rd episode I heard The Cure's Fascination Street. 

Also the pool scene when Alex falls in to the pool there's a cover of Neil Young's Hey Hey My My (Into The Blue)

It's on SOA as you can see too. 

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:06 PM Edited by RogerWho, 10 April 2017 - 05:09 PM.

This was f*cking depressing :dontgetit:

InstaNoodles
  • InstaNoodles

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:15 PM Edited by InstaNoodles, 10 April 2017 - 10:16 PM.

This was f*cking depressing :dontgetit:

Which episode are you on? Or are you just depressed from what you've watched so far?

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:27 PM

No, I kinda ended up binging through all of it last night, so, er the last couple of episodes, I guess. I didn't really like the show for the first half or so and I could poke holes through it if I wanted, but, geez. I won't be able to sleep for a week.

InstaNoodles
  • InstaNoodles

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:48 PM

No, I kinda ended up binging through all of it last night, so, er the last couple of episodes, I guess. I didn't really like the show for the first half or so and I could poke holes through it if I wanted, but, geez. I won't be able to sleep for a week.

Really? You skipped half of it? I couldn't skip any of it. My curiosity of how everyone played a part in Hannah's death kept me glued to the TV.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:38 AM Edited by RogerWho, 11 April 2017 - 01:45 AM.

Um no, I didn't skip anything, although I've been thinking about it. I didn't really like the first half. A bit too overly dramatic for the setting, which always makes me suspicious how invested I can get, so it took me a while. And the first half of the episodes could easily be truncated to half length without losing much.

But the last 3 or so and obviously the last one did mess me up. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna tell everyone about this.

I mean, I certainly have some reservations, but I suppose it's basically a "message show" for teenagers and as such, it's definitely great. I wish we had stuff like this years ago. In my teenage years the best we could hope for were some ultra heavy-handed, pathetic "message" episodes in sitcoms. Nobody would touch a theme like this with a 10-foot stick, not to mention the overall quality of TV production was much lower compared to what we have today.

In fact, I'm actually thinking of hunting down the book this is based on. I'm really curious how they differ.

//

By the way, I'd like to recommend some other similar media which deal with similar issues. There are MTV's series Awkward. and Faking it. They are both dramedies so a lot of silliness is going on in both, and the first one is generally perceived to drop the ball after the first few seasons, but I appreciate both. From videogames, there's Life is Strange - obviously (I own 4 copies), and Oxenfree (GOG link). I'm not that fond of the latter but I think I was too harsh on it after my playthrough. It's certainly worth playing.

Interestingly, the above and some other media is actually what kind of skewed my initial reaction to 13 reasons. See, it's common for young adult media to balance the realistic drama either with comedy (like the above 2 shows or every sitcom ever) or allegory or supernatural elements (like both these games, or all the teenage witch shows in the 90's).

13 reasons does neither, which does make it feel potentially too heavy handed at times. In fact I feel like the whole story would work better in a setting with adults in some difficult environment (e.g. police force) rather than teenagers in school.

But I guess it's really just because I didn't expect it. I certainly know that when I was a teenager, I really wanted to see things like this, where young people can and have to deal with difficult situations without the director resorting to various crutches or making the teen unrealistic (remember Wesley Crusher?). So looking at the series from a younger perspective, I think it's exactly what the world needs right now.

InstaNoodles
  • InstaNoodles

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:58 AM Edited by InstaNoodles, 11 April 2017 - 02:12 AM.

Um no, I didn't skip anything, although I've been thinking about it. I didn't really like the first half. A bit too overly dramatic for the setting, which always makes me suspicious how invested I can get, so it took me a while. And the first half of the episodes could easily be truncated to half length without losing much.

But the last 3 or so and obviously the last one did mess me up. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna tell everyone about this.

I mean, I certainly have some reservations, but I suppose it's basically a "message show" for teenagers and as such, it's definitely great. I wish we had stuff like this years ago. In my teenage years the best we could hope for were some ultra heavy-handed, pathetic "message" episodes in sitcoms. Nobody would touch a theme like this with a 10-foot stick, not to mention the overall quality of TV production was much lower compared to what we have today.

In fact, I'm actually thinking of hunting down the book this is based on. I'm really curious how they differ.

Thanks for clearing that up. I get that maybe the first episodes aren't all that interesting to others, but I liked them. I agree, some drama wasn't needed, but I guess it builds the other characters' personalities and moral standpoints.

I dug around the internet to find out about the book, and I found how show and the book are different.
Spoiler

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:05 AM

Yea I thought it would be something like that. While watching, I had the feeling that the original story was supposed to be very personal and intimate, maybe with potentially/partially unreliable narrators (I don't know if that's actually the case as I've not read the book but it feels like it's heading there at times). But it got bloated somewhere along the line, most likely when making the the TV series out of it.

The first half of the series really needed to be just around half-hour episodes as most of the stuff not directly related to Hannah's narration felt tacked on, and it's especially those parts that made me think the setting doesn't fit well. But yeah; if you remove all those elements supposedly not in the book, then it makes sense. Like

Spoiler

Eventually they found their footing and made the extra stuff interesting, or maybe I just got used to it, but they also didn't really follow up on that - so the lack of an epilogue is quite jarring really.

And I'd still like to see sort of an original version of the private story, clear of all the extra stuff - so yea I'll probably go check out the book.

(BTW could you not quote entire long posts, especially if they are just above yours? It makes for some unnecessary scrolling especially for phone users.)

InstaNoodles
  • InstaNoodles

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:55 AM

Spoiler

Yeah, I see what you mean.

Also, sorry if I've inconvenienced you. I feel your pain, I post on a phone too, granted my phone is relatively big. I'm a relatively new user, so excuse my noobi-ness.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:29 AM Edited by RogerWho, 12 April 2017 - 03:33 AM.

I got the 10th anniversary edition book.
Book spoiler. Careful.
Spoiler

Not quite sure what to think of that.

In any case, I've only read a little, but yea it definitely feels more personal. Also probably quite a bit less brutal. Also it's very very readable. The flow of the writing is great, like following one's own thoughts.

Compared to, say, G.R.R.Martin's style which I found to be borderline impossible to read and painfully boring most of the time, this is night and day. Though I'm not much of a reader admittedly.

Shiva.
  • Shiva.

DYOM Player

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:45 PM

This is a great show which is deep and bold. I wish I could find more shows like this. Kate Walsh was amazing as Hanna's mother and she portrayed the grief well throughout the show.

Spoiler

But, here's a question that'd been haunting me for a while and which I couldn't find an answer to anywhere. I didn't really have time to binge watch this show so forgive me if I forgot some little details. Here goes..

Spoiler

Rafae
  • Rafae

Boss

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:04 PM

This show is kind of growing on me. Still feels very feminine at times and makes me uncomfortable watching it, but it's very interesting after you get past that.

InstaNoodles
  • InstaNoodles

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:53 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

AmyJones
  • AmyJones

ADVIL CHAMPION

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:16 PM

Ooh this looks very interesting im going to check this out. I need a break from orange is the new black anyway.

InstaNoodles
  • InstaNoodles

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:12 PM

Ooh this looks very interesting im going to check this out. I need a break from orange is the new black anyway.

Go for it. You won't regret it. Just be warned, there are very gut-wrenching moments in the show.

Lubas
  • Lubas

★★★★★

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:13 AM Edited by Lubas, 15 April 2017 - 07:13 AM.

Great show.

Definitely going to recommend to people for this show.

Spoiler

Any second season coming?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users