» «
Photo

Retail (DVD) version install on Windows 10

8 replies to this topic
radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:14 PM Edited by radioman, 01 April 2017 - 07:15 PM.

Is there a certain way to install the DVD verison on Windows 10? As i've had the DVD version since release and since Steam has the auto patch thing where you can "Roll Back" to previous patches-the latest patch made the game refuse to run. I decided to install the DVD version and use Patch 4 like I use to. Anyway, when I insert the disc it comes up with this screen: http://i429.photobuc...zpswzcgxjrv.png

When I click the "Launch Social club" button that screen disappears and does nothing after that.

My PC meets the requirements, as I use to run the game quite well on a 2 systems before-I forgot some of the specs on the first one as I don't have that machine anymore, but the other one is a Windows 7 Home Premium with an Intel I5 Quad core @ 2.5GHZ (up to 2.93 GHZ with Turbo Boost), 6 GB DDR3 ram, and an ATI Radeon 5470 w/1GB vram. and was running the Steam version quite well on a Windows 7(now Windows 10) on an AMD A6 Quad core, 4GB ram, and an AMD 66xx(forget the exact number off hand?) and thanks to the latest patch the Steam version will not run-always crashes.

This PC:

Windows 10 Home

AMD A10 Quad core @ 2.5 GHZ (with up to 3.2 GHZ)

8GB RAM

AMD R6 w/1GB Vram

To add, this PC runs V quite well, and used to run IV as great fps with no stutter and very little lag up until the latest patch, now it just crashes and requires a force restart of the PC.

Also, for the record, I did use the search function first, but it came up with nothing relevant.

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:53 PM

I have the first release on DVD it works on 10 but i had to mess about  with games for windows live, i basically had to install the game then go to add remove programs and delete GFWL  then reinstall the latest version, just type in google GFWL windows 10 it will give you a link.

When you get it sorted it runs fine on windows 10

StormBreaker
  • StormBreaker

Rockstar Hater

• Members
  • India

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:52 AM Edited by StormBreaker, 02 April 2017 - 11:53 AM.

Run it without social club. Use launchgtaiv or the shortcut on the desktop. Or the social club icon. Unless I am mistaken, this screen shows up as soon as you finish installing the game. Try restarting the pc

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:34 PM

Run it without social club. Use launchgtaiv or the shortcut on the desktop. Or the social club icon. Unless I am mistaken, this screen shows up as soon as you finish installing the game. Try restarting the pc

I can't do that until after the game's installed. I can't get the install process to start. If I use the Launch GTAIV or desktop shortcut that's there now, it'll try to launch the Steam version, which does not work anymore since the last update-it just crashes and causes a force restart of the PC. That's why i'm trying to install the DVD version since I can use any patch, not being forced to auto update.

StormBreaker
  • StormBreaker

Rockstar Hater

• Members
  • India

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:02 AM

All you had to do, was to uncheck the auto update option in steam for gta 4. Did you remove the steam version completely before installing the dvd version?

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:43 AM

All you had to do, was to uncheck the auto update option in steam for gta 4. Did you remove the steam version completely before installing the dvd version?

I tried to turn off auto up-date for the game today, and there was no option to turn it off, the only options it gives me are: (1) Always keep this game up to date, (2) only update this game when I launch it, and (3) high priority always auto update this game before all others.

As far as I know, its not necessary to un-install the Steam version first, as I have had both versions installed on my Windows 7 laptop before with no issues or problems.

Also, I have both the DVD AND Steam versions of SA AND VC installed with no conflict and those both use the same User Accounts folder in Documents.

StormBreaker
  • StormBreaker

Rockstar Hater

• Members
  • India

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:15 AM Edited by StormBreaker, 03 April 2017 - 11:16 AM.

Select the second option, and make sure you don't have internet while launching. Have you tried changing the target location of the launchgtaiv in ur desktop? You can find it by checking the shortcut properties

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:07 PM

Good idea, How do you "Roll back" to an earlier patch on the Steam version?

StormBreaker
  • StormBreaker

Rockstar Hater

• Members
  • India

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:26 AM

Change the update settings, download the official patch from R* website, and run the UpdateTitle.exe file or whatever it is. That's it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users