3 years later....Greenrock's how do you view GTA V overall

71 replies to this topic
greenrock
  • greenrock

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:08 AM

how do you view it overall as a game? 3+ years later...what is your final opinion

• Roger Cheeto likes this

theGTAking101
  • theGTAking101

Get out of my sight, or I'll kill you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:36 AM

Not a terrible game, but not what I expected. Added some cool things but took many steps backwards.

Map is nice, but the layout isn't the best.

Storyline is overall weak after a promising beginning, and there's no sense of progression with any of the characters. Too large of a focus on Online.

Verdict:

I still play it occasionally to this day so that's saying something, but at the end of the day it didn't live up to the hype IMO.

I'd still give it a 9/10 all things considered and I can say it's my second favorite game of all time. Then again I don't play many games.

• Tomasak, gunziness, Official General and 14 others like this

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

f*ck you

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:53 AM

Maybe a 8/10, its good but IV tops it in almost every way. Has some good things that keeps me entertained for a while until I feel like f*cking sh*t up as Niko.
  • CartmanKusanagi, Journey_95, Piggsy pls and 2 others like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:35 AM Edited by Official General, 03 April 2017 - 11:28 AM.

To me, it's still the same big disappointment of a game that had so much potential, despite the fact that it has many good points about it. I still think it's the worst game of the main series.

3 years later and still no significant extra SP DLC, content or story expansion. Just the same ol' V with a weak, boring main story and characters, and a beautiful looking, stunningly detailed, BUT greatly wasted huge map. So therefore, no change from my original view, I still score it 7.5/10.

On a bright note, now I have it on PC and use mods, and playing it at 60fps, it's a much better and more enjoyable experience. With these things in mind, I bump up the score to 8.5/10. However that's with mods, making this score unofficial.

• B Dawg, Troublesome96_, Ronno and 9 others like this

Efreet
  • Efreet

'Jabalous' in a previous life

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:19 AM

Beautiful to look at, boring to listen to. 

• Dee., Neon_Dreaming and Yinepi like this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:27 AM Edited by Tycek, 31 March 2017 - 07:28 AM.

Dead to me for a long time. I don't even remember when I was playing it for the last time, not to mention the fact that I haven't even bought the next gen edition. GTA V is the same disappointment as it was in October 2013.

• B Dawg, Official General, anthony and 7 others like this

Donatello
  • Donatello

Anyone for stickball? I've got a stick. You be the ball.

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

Nice story, but I'm so sick of Rockstar's abrupt endings leaving you feeling like you want more. GTA IV's Revenge ending was the same way. When I finished V I was so disappointed that it literally ended in less than a minutes with lose ends left to tie up. It's only the ending too. Everything leading up to is pretty great.

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:48 AM Edited by ClaudeSpeed1911, 31 March 2017 - 10:50 AM.

A disapointing game that broke my trust with Rockstar. Will not play any game they make until I know they didn't screw over the SP fans and If I play it I will ony get it used and cheap or borrow a copy from friends.

• B Dawg, Official General, anthony and 10 others like this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:24 AM

Another thing to add - 3 years later I'm deeply shocked and saddened that Rockstar greatly compromised SP quality over profit in the name of shallow, monotonous online MP gaming.
  • B Dawg, theGTAking101, Maibatsu545 and 5 others like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:14 PM

6.5/10 without mods: Beautiful visuals, dynamic score, huge map but with wasted areas and design, dumbed down physics, weak story and characters, huge push towards PvP MP dickriding instead of giving SP love, or even at least story-driven MP missions.

8/10 with mods, though that's obviously not to Rockstar's credit.

Literally the only reason I still play the game are for the mods, Content Creator, and Director Mode. Haven't had the urge to play through the story since I first bought it.
  • B Dawg, Official General, CartmanKusanagi and 1 other like this

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade Corporation
  • European-Union

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

After 3 years I have to say GTA V is not that great GTA video game. Even though, the game has many improvements here and there, there's even more downgrades like the lack of restaurants or poorer car damage system. Keep in mind the fact I'm talking about the X360 version of GTA V. Don't let me start about GTA Online which is responsible for (like someone said somewhere) the beginning of the end. I've never played V on PC (even though my computer is powerful enough to handle the game on decent details), so I can't say anything about playing GTA V with mods. Though, seeing the game's modding scene, it must be a pretty good experience.

• LincolnClay likes this

LincolnClay
  • LincolnClay

F*ck Take Two Interactive...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:11 PM Edited by LincolnClay, 31 March 2017 - 02:14 PM.

8/10 for story mode, and a 2.5/10 for GTA Online. Loved it at first, now it's R*'s dumping ground for sh*tty ideas and "game modes". Just wtf? Why? Huh?

Edit: Oh, and I actually don't mind V's story, but it's not the best. It's underrated IMO. What I mean is nobody buys GTA V for the story anymore. It's all about the MP.
  • ten-a-penny likes this

Kess1987
  • Kess1987

Player Hater

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:57 PM

8.5/10 for GTA V SP, my favourite GTA so far. Yes, it has some serious flaws in the storyline and physics but I really like the map, most of missions and characters, weapons, vehicles and activities. I even bought it in X360, Xone and PC, never spent so many money in a title, but the replay value of this game for me is near infinite.

0/10 for GTA O. I played few hours but the way it changed R* DLC and the SP gamers got f*cked really deserves that. I wish it never existed.

Good Hombre
  • Good Hombre

GTA IV MP > GTA Online

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:05 PM Edited by Good Hombre, 08 April 2017 - 11:03 AM.

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

Usually helpful, BUT very defensive upon disrespect

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:00 PM Edited by ACM-Jan, 31 March 2017 - 05:03 PM.

for me gta 5 story was pure gold 10/10, gta san andreas story comes second with 9/10 and gta 4 was so weird that i couldn't even make it through whole story (got stuck somewhere and couldn't finish snow storm mission) and i failed in general more than ever trying to handle gta 4 missions, its physics are big fault in this and mechanics as well plus it really should have had regenerating health or same mechanics for attacking as san andreas, gta 4 is mostly great but story is impossible to play without god mode! PS! gta snore fans, do not quote me on this, It is highly subjective opinion, my opinion on things! BTW  i raged the sh*t out of me trying to beat gta 4 and at snow storm mission i quit it, put game back to box and put it in shelf!

• Hans-Hermann Hoppe likes this

Edward Nashton
  • Edward Nashton

A Traveler of Both Time and Space.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

It's a good game, but it's also the weakest GTA entry by far - there was just too much wasted potential. This is also the game that made me change my opinion of Rockstar as well; I no longer see them as the God emperors of the video game industry as I did in the time between GTA III and Red Dead Redemption, now they're just another game developer with some interesting ideas and a big budget who is no longer above reproach.

• Tycek, Official General, anthony and 5 others like this

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:43 PM

I mean like, it must be doing something right to earn what it's earning, but it's not for me, the story was bland and uninspired, the character switching was half-baked, the online is barely fun, the map is underutilized. I'd say 7/10. But each to their own.

• Official General likes this

Maibatsu545
  • Maibatsu545

veritas vos liberabit

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:00 AM

I think it's casual garbage with a terrible story.
  • Official General and anthony like this

straightupmenace
  • straightupmenace

Mike did it

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:37 AM

I think it's a fantastic game that will be remembered as a masterpiece by many. (keyword being "opinion")  GTA V's story is not as well written as IV in my opinion, but it has some great moments and still has some depth to it. 9.5/10

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:44 AM

I think the gameplay and graphics are p awesome, but it has too many faults. Terrible storyline, protagonists, antagonists, soundtrack, censored kills, etc.
  • Official General, ten-a-penny, Maibatsu545 and 1 other like this

Lioshenka
  • Lioshenka

KGB agent

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 01 April 2017 - 02:47 AM

It's OK. 7/10.

Good graphics, most of horrible GTA 4's problems were fixed, fun missions, but small state with very similar setting throughout open from the very beginning. Too much focus on Online side, which I don't play at all, not being to start a single player if you're not connected to the Internet sucks also.

Radio is crap, but all modern music is crap sadly.

Why eat cabbage when you could eat potatoes? And so I eat, I mean, play, GTA SA mostly.

• Official General, LincolnClay and Brian_O_Malley like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 01 April 2017 - 02:02 PM

It's still GTA IV's bitch like it was in 2013..*super villain laugh*

To be fair though like I've said from the start it's a good game, but too many misteps prevent it from being a great GTA.
  • B Dawg, Tycek, Official General and 5 others like this

highspeed
  • highspeed

BLAST sh*t

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:21 AM

I'm old school, never played online sh*t and never will. Updated my file to get the cooler cars, tats and guns, but that's it!

This game is perfect for me. Never get tired of playing it.

Johnny Spaz
  • Johnny Spaz

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:03 AM Edited by Johnny Spaz, 03 April 2017 - 04:04 AM.

for me gta 5 story was pure gold 10/10, gta san andreas story comes second with 9/10 and gta 4 was so weird that i couldn't even make it through whole story (got stuck somewhere and couldn't finish snow storm mission) and i failed in general more than ever trying to handle gta 4 missions, its physics are big fault in this and mechanics as well plus it really should have had regenerating health or same mechanics for attacking as san andreas, gta 4 is mostly great but story is impossible to play without god mode! PS! gta snore fans, do not quote me on this, It is highly subjective opinion, my opinion on things! BTW  i raged the sh*t out of me trying to beat gta 4 and at snow storm mission i quit it, put game back to box and put it in shelf!

This thread's about GTA V not IV in case you didn't notice.

OT: I give it a 7/10, mainly because of the good/funny characters (Lamar, Wade, Franklin, Trevor occasionally) but the weak story, the flawed SWITCH system, bad car damage system, boring gunplay, map with wasted potential, focus on Online (which I've never even been interested in playing), ragdoll physics, weak pedestrians, overpowered police enforcement, only 70 missions for three protagonists, etc. ruins the game.
  • Official General and ClaudeSpeed1911 like this

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

leftist terrorist

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:11 AM

bad stupid dumb game thart killed jhohnny and was dumb

why was trevor so edgy... sh*t game. i hate it. rip honnny

there is absoultuley nothing redeeming factor.  bring back the ben!

dunb/10

• Piggsy pls, straightupmenace and LincolnClay like this

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:55 AM Edited by Yinepi, 03 April 2017 - 11:13 AM.

The quality of the writing feels like a 10th grader's 1000 word mid-term essay, and prevents me from truly enjoying the characters and often longing to create my own characters alas Saints Row/The Sims style. However, the voice acting itself is phenomenal. Stephen Ogg did amazing voice acting with Trevor admittedly.

The music choices on its soundtrack, combined with its lackluster original score that puts me to sleep, has me switching off the music volume a majority of the time. Which is huge negative for game where I spend estimate 92 percent of the time driving in.

The physics are undoubtedly the worst In the series, and perhaps close to even being the worst I've seen in an open world game. The driving has no challenge and all of the vehicles handle so similar and predictable, making driving very boring without a handling mod. It's appalling to think a game - in the same series - released 12 years prior has better physics. Yes, I am talking about GTA3.

The amount of land is great in theory, but not when a majority of is not-utilized, or where some sections don't feel like what they're trying to be. Sandy Shores has too many billboards, palm trees and cacti placed in such a short distance to feel like a real desert. Some sections of the map could do with more roads, like a road that comes from the humane labs area and connects to that industrial area below it. The city of Los Santos is too compact and doesn't feel like a city at all, rather more akin to large village, which is unlike GTA4's Liberty City.

Overall, while I do enjoy it, I still find that It's a canvas waiting for its paint.

• Efreet, Official General, ClaudeSpeed1911 and 1 other like this

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

Usually helpful, BUT very defensive upon disrespect

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

OT: I give it a 7/10, mainly because of the good/funny characters (Lamar, Wade, Franklin, Trevor occasionally) but the weak story, the flawed SWITCH system, bad car damage system, boring gunplay, map with wasted potential, focus on Online (which I've never even been interested in playing), ragdoll physics, weak pedestrians, overpowered police enforcement, only 70 missions for three protagonists, etc. ruins the game.

i was bringing an example to make my point on gta 5 you blind animal!

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:00 PM Edited by Official General, 03 April 2017 - 05:03 PM.

i was bringing an example to make my point on gta 5 you blind animal!

@ ACM-Jan

You quoted and mentioned IV a lot more than you needed to in this subject that's exclusively focused on your opinions of V as it stands now. He's not blind, he's only going by what you wrote, and he's totally right. You're beginning to sound like Osho, who eventually became a pariah because of his obsession with criticising IV and mentioning it at any given opportunity.

• anthony, ClaudeSpeed1911, ten-a-penny and 3 others like this

wapster
  • wapster

Gentleman thief

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:31 PM

After all the story and activities have been completed, looking at the game as a simple technical achievement you really notice the flaws. The AI of the drivers and pedestrians for one is something that should have been leaps and bounds ahead of other games, but as soon as you do something like bump into another car by accident the entire street freaks out and starts running stuff over and acting stupid. The map is quite actually poorly thought out in terms of representing the real life location- its essentially a huge bowl with a road going around it, two urban areas at opposite ends and nothing but a small desert and an army base in the middle. Another thing is also the weapon handling; shooting someone should feel powerful and weighty but they all end up feeling like peashooters that take a full clip to kill an enemy.

In total I feel that V was a missed opportunity in terms of raising the bar of realism and open world gameplay. After a while of playing it the realization of how shallow and actually quite boring the game is sets in. It's a shame really. As a game I'd rate it highly just for graphical fidelity and cool mods, but the actual mechanics of the game bring it down a lot.

• Official General and ClaudeSpeed1911 like this

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:03 PM

It could have been one of the greatest single player games of all time. Sadly it seems Rockstar now prioritizes making money over making quality experiences. Even though it has failed to achieve it's potential, it is still a really good fun game to run around in and cause mayhem for a few hours.

7.5/10

• Official General likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users