Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Administrator
  • Unknown
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2016
    Most Corrupt Staff 2014

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:41 PM

Let's try moving this to programming since it doesn't really belong in the gaming section.

• CRAZY AL WARD likes this

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Census]
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:51 PM

Well...since we are in "programming"; any thought as to programming, architecture, tools, and that kinda of stuff?

2D top down GTA old school clone or current 3D style GTA clone?

CRAZY AL WARD
  • CRAZY AL WARD

#YouAreTheLiquor

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:26 PM

Current 3D GTA online clone, think of gta online as an anime/manga set in Canada...

That's basically what I'm going for.

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:49 PM

How far along is it? Have you planned out a city or what options the player will have?

CRAZY AL WARD
  • CRAZY AL WARD

#YouAreTheLiquor

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:10 AM

So far, we only have province names, vehicle brand names and weapon brand names

we know so far it's going to be set in Canada

Here's some examples of province names:

New Acadia = New Brunswick

Trudeau = Quebec

Parliament =Ontario

British Cuba = British Columbia

Now some names of Weapon companies:

Vito Andolini = Pietro Beretta

Nugent = Mossberg, Taurus & Glock

Woodstock = Colt & Springfield

Dixon & Sons = most hunting equipment like knifes, machetes & Crossbows

Riverside = Remington

Callahan & Sons = Smith and Wesson

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:42 AM

Current 3D GTA online clone, think of gta online as an anime/manga set in Canada...

That's basically what I'm going for.

Ok so you just said a bunch of things there that mean nothing and don't tell anything about the game.

What do you mean anime/manga? Is it going to have anime or manga art style? Will it be divided in stories/episodes? 

Set where in Canada? Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary? Or all of Canada? How big will this world be?

Current 3D GTA online clone? Do you have a team of 1000 people? If not, it's just not going to happen. Not trying to sh*t on your idea, but it's just extremely unrealistic. Or at least be prepared to spend the next 20 years working on it.

If you are serious about this, which engine are you planning on using? What will the gameplay be like? The camera? Will there be a story, or will it just be a sandbox? How many people will be connected at once? Have you thought about AI at all? Will there be "quests"? What is RPG about it? Are there classes? Character stats? PvP? PvM? Raids?

So, you have a ridiculously long road ahead of you. And a pointless one too, sorry to say. If you wanna make a GTAO clone, what will make it better than the current GTAO? Why would players play your game instead of GTAO? What sets it apart? GTA V cost several hundred millions of dollars and a massive team to build, and still needs vast amounts of money on upkeep. How do you compete with those resources?

Instead, why don't you make a GTA1 Clone, but online? Asset creation will be far easier, animation costs will be far lower, you can reuse a lot of content and save a lot on dev time, you wouldn't need massive investments into, well, everything, and it would be different enough from what exists to actually make it a viable project.

• Mister Pink and ShinobiOne87 like this

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Technology / Programming] 2016
    Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:17 AM

This is hardly a programming topic, but we don't have anything more appropriate for game design in general, so I guess this is as good as place as any.

That said, what you have up there is not a game concept. It's not even an elevator pitch. Design of a game doesn't start with names for places and items. It should start with mechanics. What is the core loop of the game? How do players progress? That sort of thing. If you are going for something a bit more artsy, sometimes it's also acceptable to start with story and/or setting. And no, "In Canada," does not count as a game setting. A game is all about player interaction, so even if you start with story or setting, what you should be focusing on is how it impacts the player, be it through narrative or mood.

In short, the very first question is what you expect player to get out of playing the game. Grind, exploration, introspection... Game's genre limits this a little bit, but you have to go way beyond that before you can say that you have a game idea.

Once you have that foundation in place, you should be able to start answering some of the questions Tchuck is asking. That would start putting design in place, and there is still a whole lot to go before it's something viable.
  • Tchuck, Ivan1997GTA and CRAZY AL WARD like this

Leone Family
  • Leone Family

Grand Theft Auto Québec TC developer

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:35 PM

Trudeau = Quebec

Parliament =Ontario

Riverside = Remington

Seriously? Trudeau is a very sh*tty name for Québec in my opinion as a quebecker. Try something like "Neo-Normandie" or "French Laurentia" for example. Ontario should be called something like "Imperial State" and British Columbia should be changed to something that emphathises on the fact that it's the west coast of Canada. Maybe "Western Canada"? But as for New-Brunswick, I agree with the name of "New Acadia" or maybe just "Acadia".

CRAZY AL WARD
  • CRAZY AL WARD

#YouAreTheLiquor

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:35 PM

Trudeau = Quebec

Parliament =Ontario

Riverside = Remington

Seriously? Trudeau is a very sh*tty name for Québec in my opinion as a quebecker. Try something like "Neo-Normandie" or "French Laurentia" for example. Ontario should be called something like "Imperial State" and British Columbia should be changed to something that emphathises on the fact that it's the west coast of Canada. Maybe "Western Canada"? But as for New-Brunswick, I agree with the name of "New Acadia" or maybe just "Acadia".

Thank you for the feedback for the province names, i will figure something else to name them

Example: Western Cuba or Western Columbus or something 

CRAZY AL WARD
  • CRAZY AL WARD

#YouAreTheLiquor

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:46 PM Edited by CRAZY AL WARD, 29 March 2017 - 08:06 PM.

Now I'm still in the early noob developer stage of making the game, and i thank you all for your feedback on the topic.

What i meant by rpg style is similar how you see rp groups on the GTAForums and making your own personal servers like how you do on GTA IV multiplayer, like setting up what weather you want for the server. Or if you want a server set to permanent day time or night time,

or if you want Normal NPCs or Zombie NPCs, the list goes on.

That's why I'm asking YOU, the player the simple question of what You want to see in the Game.

If you have ANY ideas or Concepts you want to add or see in the project, Please don't hesitate to put them in the comments of this page,

i would love to see or hear them.  :colgate:

Edit: i also have 2 Font ideas for the game, tell me which one you like...

fa9bb0aecf23f2ce823ce7fec047f57b.png

OR

78fbed45bb6c177fe37e12fdd00d0c23.png

Leone Family
  • Leone Family

Grand Theft Auto Québec TC developer

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

"Western Cuba" isn't any better than "British Cuba". The problem here is the word Cuba because what the hell does Bitish Columbia has to do with Cuba?? Also, it looks like you have a lot of ideas, but none of them fit together. You want to make a RPG-style GTA clone anime game with zombies set in Canada? How about a FPS-style NFS clone racing/shooting game with cars shooting ducks at vampires drinking maple sirup set on the moon? Lol I think I just leaked the script for Saints Row 5  :lol: But anyway, you understand what I mean, the game concept is weird. Finally, do you have at least knowledge of programming and how extremely hard and long (like my ****) developing an indie game is? Because if you start a big project without experience, you WILL fail. I mean, you have absolutely 0% chance to finish the game if you don't have experience in video game programming!

CRAZY AL WARD
  • CRAZY AL WARD

#YouAreTheLiquor

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:27 PM

@Leone Family

I have to start Somewhere...

and like i stated before...

Now I'm still in the early noob developer stage of making the game, and i thank you all for your feedback on the topic.

that means i'm just writing stuff down of what players want to see in the game.

also, i'm still welcome to any ideas you have

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:03 AM Edited by Tchuck, 30 March 2017 - 02:06 AM.

Again, I asked you a bunch of questions and you haven't answered any of them. If you have any hope of actually getting this done, you should have at least some idea of what you want to do.

What i meant by rpg style is similar how you see rp groups on the GTAForums and making your own personal servers like how you do on GTA IV multiplayer, like setting up what weather you want for the server. Or if you want a server set to permanent day time or night time, or if you want Normal NPCs or Zombie NPCs, the list goes on.

That has nothing to do with RPG, though. That's just custom server setup. RPG implies "role playing", so what role will players be playing? What attributes they'll have? What skills?

And you just added another layer of complexity in building this thing: custom private servers. It's one thing to develop something that is accessible via a single/cluster of servers over which you have complete control. It's something far more complicated to allow others to host their own servers and build the systems needed to handle it. Or do you mean something like custom lobbies? Cause that will also increase your costs in keeping it all working.

So, the more you post on this place, the more it seems you haven't put any thought into this at all. If you want to develop something so massive, I'd suggest you get the basics decided first and then present it to the world to get support for making it. For reference, look at what this guy has been building over the past 3 years. He had a clear idea of what he wanted, and began developing it. So far, you have a couple of names and a logo. You barely have an elevator pitch.

that means i'm just writing stuff down of what players want to see in the game.

also, i'm still welcome to any ideas you have

You could start by browsing the myriad threads on GTA forums regarding wishlists and things people would like to see in games. And you also should have some basic idea of what you want the game to be. Simply "GTA Online in Canada" is very, very, very basic. 

What do you add to the project? 

And to:

I have to start Somewhere...

Yes, you usually start from the bottom. Make simple games here and there, design mods that extend existing games and whatnot. And then move into bigger things. Game development is like yodeling: You don't just go and yodel. You build up to it.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Census]
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:47 AM Edited by trip, 30 March 2017 - 11:54 AM.

Sorry to be the party pooper but since this isn't ready for any programming discussions I'm gonna have to lock.
  • Furry_Monkey likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users