Nostalgic feelings you miss from GTA IV

30 replies to this topic
Domand
  • Domand

Its Wanting That gets So Many Folks In Trouble

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:15 PM

What feeling you had during your playthroughs of GTA IV do you not get anymore that you miss? 

Mine would be when you complete the first mission and get to walk around and explore the game for the first time. The nostalgic feel to something you never seen or done anything with before. No it feels just natural.

• Algonquin Assassin and Saganist like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:42 AM

The first time after Russian Revolution, when you try to get back to the safehouse and Roman's cab depot, and both are burnt to sh*t.. felt like the game took a really serious turn their, like everything was really f*cked for Niko and Roman. Just playing the story for the first time was amazing.
  • Algonquin Assassin, vnus_dmlo, Legomanarthur and 5 others like this

GTA_The_Series
  • GTA_The_Series

Neighborhood Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:01 AM

Bowling with cousin...:cry:
  • Testeuros, Simply_Wasted, LincolnClay and 3 others like this

Simply_Wasted
  • Simply_Wasted

You can't stop me! You BUSTA Carl!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:17 AM

Bowling with cousin...:cry:

Lmao of course ;)

OT: similar what OP said. When Niko gets off the boat then Roman pulls up in the cab and picks up Niko, then Roman comes packed with a big ass bottle of alcohol lol :D Just that scene makes me go back to when i first played IV back in 08. Man the actual physics felt weird.
  • Domand likes this

JRC99
  • JRC99

Needs a V8 in his Dakota

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:08 AM

Christmas morning 2010, when my parents finally deemed me mature enough to play the game. Cruising around Hove Beach, just taking it all in. I'd played it before at friends' houses, but now, it was mine, and I was playing it myself. 

• Saganist, Payne Killer, LincolnClay and 1 other like this

Saganist
  • Saganist

The Cosmos Is Within Us

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:16 PM

I miss exploring Broker. It's such a beautiful part of LC. The whole game is a big nostalgia thing for me. I remember playing it with my friend back in 2008/2009. Good times, good times.

The saddest part about it all is never being able to replay the great masterpiece that is Grand Theft Auto IV for the first time ever again. :cry:

• Official General, JRC99, LincolnClay and 1 other like this

Ivellios
  • Ivellios

Player Hater

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:24 PM

When, after The Cusins Bellic, I tried to get to other parts of LC, got my 6 stars for the first time and they began chasing me. Then I got killed for the first time in the game. That feeling when everything becomes gray...

• Domand likes this

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

The first time I played through Bleed Out and saw Algonquin adjacent to the ocean from the warehouse where you take out Dardan and then thinking "Man I can't wait to get there and explore that beautiful city".

That feeling of exploration and feeling like there's so much to uncover about the world is such a fun feeling to get when you play an open world game for the first time, no other game genre gives off that feeling of an exciting exploration than the sandbox game genre.

• Domand likes this

Donatello
  • Donatello

Anyone for stickball? I've got a stick. You be the ball.

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:18 PM

The morality choices.
I remember pondering for 10 minutes between killing Dwayne or Playboy X, dating Michelle or saving Roman from the Albanians, and working with Dimitri or killing him on the boat.
I don't get that same conflicted feeling anymore.
  • Jeansowaty, Saganist, Payne Killer and 3 others like this

Good Hombre
  • Good Hombre

Welcome to the real North Korea

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:26 PM Edited by Good Hombre, 29 March 2017 - 09:03 PM.

I miss driving around in a grey and foggy Liberty City while listening to The Journey.

• Perez84, Jeansowaty, Saganist and 4 others like this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:50 PM

I walked out of Niko's appartment after The Cousins Bellic, and after watching the Hotdog tutorial, I ran across the street and got ran over. Niko's head broke the car's windscreen and I saw Euphoria/Ragdoll in action for the first time, and I just sat there with my mouth and eyes wide-open like "Did that just really happened?!".

• Payne Killer, Testeuros and Domand like this

Lazarevic
  • Lazarevic

Roman, are you sleeping ? You fat f*ck !

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:39 PM Edited by Lazarevic, 28 March 2017 - 09:40 PM.

Hmm. Missing the days when i couldnt wait to go at my brother's to play GTA 4 in 2008 since my parents couldnt afford me a good pc back then. After playing A LOT of San Andreas and then seeing gta 4. I was like: "WOW, he puts a helmet when he is on a motorcycle". "OH look, you can pick this brick and throw it". "Omg you can push these pedestrains", "look at the hotdog vendors". "wtf, i cna watch a tv ?" etc etc. I was only 8 then, i still miss those times... Oh, and hearing my language in such a masterpiece of game meant something... And thing i miss the most is speaking with my classmates about the game and how we cannot download it since it was 16 gigabytes.. Remember when download speeds were barely 200kbps :p But hey... We still can play this game.. But the experience won't be as good as it was back in 2008...

You know what guys ? I think i will get GTA IV right now, i have stopped with a MOBA that I have played for a long time. It's time for a real masterpiece now !

• Jeansowaty and Domand like this

CreepShow
  • CreepShow

My brothers, let's roll!

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:37 AM

I don't mis anything cause I play it everyday!

• Payne Killer, otachi, Testeuros and 1 other like this

vnus_dmlo
  • vnus_dmlo

$ $ $

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

things used to be so simple, id walk around shooting people dead on the street, niko was a cold killer, he never cared about anyone a conpletely sociopathic nihilist and all of those feelings of angst and rebellion manifested in gta 4 im so nostalgic of those days when i could walk around in a tracksuit and feel dangerous yknow, like i was liable to stab a hotdog vendor for serving me sass, gta 5 doesnt capture that darkness, nothing else can but nikos cold dead emotionless eyes
  • theGTAking101, Saganist and Domand like this

Saganist
  • Saganist

The Cosmos Is Within Us

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

things used to be so simple, id walk around shooting people dead on the street, niko was a cold killer, he never cared about anyone a conpletely sociopathic nihilist and all of those feelings of angst and rebellion manifested in gta 4 im so nostalgic of those days when i could walk around in a tracksuit and feel dangerous yknow, like i was liable to stab a hotdog vendor for serving me sass, gta 5 doesnt capture that darkness, nothing else can but nikos cold dead emotionless eyes

Well said.

• vnus_dmlo, theGTAking101 and Domand like this

Legomanarthur
  • Legomanarthur

We all want peace! But my peace, not their f*cking peace

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:24 PM

The first time after Russian Revolution, when you try to get back to the safehouse and Roman's cab depot, and both are burnt to sh*t.. felt like the game took a really serious turn their, like everything was really f*cked for Niko and Roman. Just playing the story for the first time was amazing.

Same, that was such an incredible moment, I remember when I played Roman's Sorrow for the first time and discovered Roman's burnt apartment & cab depot, my parents were telling me to stop playing because we had to go somewhere for the day, I was so excited to see what was going to happen next that I refused to quit the game before finishing it, just another "I cant save the game right now" sort of argument.

Then coming back at it and being in "exile" in Bohan was really interesting, it just felt so real for me, definitely one of my most nostalgic moment.

• Piggsy pls, Jeansowaty, Saganist and 1 other like this

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

My music's my favourite music ever.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

Many of the early missions for the Russians and Little Jacob give me the most nostalgic feels. I remember when I got the game my cousin already completed like 16 missions for me and I could do Shadow and Final Destination. Once I figured out how to do these I started playing like a maniac, when I've seen my house burned down and heard Roman crying I was so shocked, heartbroken (lol)... before that I used to often just wander all around Broker, Dukes and Bohan, discovering many great locations, marking on a map where all the weapon pickups are, stealing Emperors in Hove Beach and riding around listening to Vladivostok FM... this great game gives me a lot of nostalgia, even though I can play it all the time, but the first time playing always feels the best and you can't get these moments back again :D

• Legomanarthur, Saganist, Payne Killer and 1 other like this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:55 PM Edited by RogerWho, 29 March 2017 - 09:06 PM.

The frustration with the clunky controls and driving, especially on bikes :) Now when I start a new game I can hop in pretty quickly, but man it used to difficult as hell. Not sure if it counts for nostalgia though, but the controls did convince me to get my first PC gamepad.

More seriously, the intro. It completely blew my mind back when I saw it for the first time. It's still really impressive today but also a bit dated. And since I've played through the game so many times and I know the role of the ship and all those people in the story, it's not as enigmatic and um, edgy? As it used to be. I still like the intro a lot but it really is just an intro to the rest of the game and not quite as much a piece of art on its own I guess.

The Soviet connection though, that's still as good as ever. Just listening to it right now from my GTA IV playlist in fact.

Overall it's kinda funny. On one hand I do miss when I could explore the game for the first time. Everything was utterly new. Now, it's a more familiar experience, and I can't really say one is better than another. Besides the game STILL manages to pull off new surprises and it's so large and rich that new things keep cropping up. A few months ago I finished IV to 100% for the first time but honestly I think if I started again now, there would be still more things to discover I've not seen yet. And those things I have seen, even dozens of times, I could still appreciate again. It's a classic.

There are games where I wish I could play for the first time again, such as Mass Effect. Discussions with Sovereign and Vigil really have the gravitas only for the first time, and once mysteries are explained, they aren't as engaging.

But other games I can keep replaying and they keep on giving. GTA IV and Life is Strange are notable examples. It's like being in a good stable relationship. It's not the fresh unknown wild thing at the beginning, but nice, comfortable and lovely after you find the mutual compatibility :lol: (Sheesh I probably made it sound terrible.)

• Algonquin Assassin, Jeansowaty, Saganist and 2 others like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 4 weeks ago

Can't believe I've never posted in this thread so to bump it up.

I miss the genuine "shock" leaving me in disbelief like Niko putting a bullet in Vlad's head, Roman's death, the Darko confrontation, the satisfaction of killing Dimitri and Pegorino.

After so many play throughs and countless hours these are still powerful moments, but I'd do anything to have my mind wiped clean to experience them for the first time again.
  • anthony, theGTAking101, Jeansowaty and 3 others like this

theGTAking101
  • theGTAking101

Get out of my sight, or I'll kill you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 4 weeks ago

Can't believe I've never posted in this thread so to bump it up.

I miss the genuine "shock" leaving me in disbelief like Niko putting a bullet in Vlad's head, Roman's death, the Darko confrontation, the satisfaction of killing Dimitri and Pegorino.

After so many play throughs and countless hours these are still powerful moments, but I'd do anything to have my mind wiped clean to experience them for the first time again.

When I first played the game I was too young to really pay attention and appreciate the storyline, so I would absolutely love to experience it again for the first time.

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Queen Elizabeth II, 4 weeks ago.

Driving a car and shooting for the first time. It was (and still is) an amazing experience. 

d5MbD02qTuOTMywvZOOhUA.png

This game is beautiful.

• Algonquin Assassin, anthony, theGTAking101 and 1 other like this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 4 weeks ago

The perfect soundtrack, V's an epic fail.

Good antagonists who actually had character development.

Iggy Pop instead of sissy rock Kenny Loggins.

Gokuzbu
  • Gokuzbu

Luis and Niko will not be touched by Trevor.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

I actually hated the game at first, I remember failing the mission where you chase the Laundromat guy and putting the game away for a long time. I guarantee I was one of those idiots who just wanted a San Andreas 2 (still too many of those exist). It was actually TLAD that got me to try it again, I guess I needed a big shootout to show me how cool the game could get (the shootout in the first mission of TLAD). Playing TLAD before IV is pretty weird but I put IV as a top game of all time. I love all the dialogue when someone is in the car with you, I fail missions just to hear the alternate version. I love the airport and spent many an hour there in multiplayer.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

simond1986
  • simond1986

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

just how great it looked it felt like real city huge leap from ps2 gta gsmes

JB1982
  • JB1982

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

I guess for me it's that obvious one of the thrill you get of not knowing what happens next that you can only get on a first playthrough. The shocks and surprises from early on in the game all the way to the end really had me captivated. I think the story stands up well on repeat plays but there is nothing quite like that feeling you get of seeing the apartment and cab depot burning that first time and similar such moments, leaving you wondering what is going to happen next.

PDOjohnny
  • PDOjohnny

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

In 2009 when I was in the army and one weekend came to my friend's house so we played GTA IV. I remember the amazing good feeling of sitting inside a cab ingame when it rides Times Square and I looked out of the window.

Then in about 2014 when I bought and installed this game on my own computer and invited this friend over. He sat there and saw me play the game. There was a nice feeling of just sitting with him exploring the city and he witness how my computer handles this game.

ROCKSTAR MANIC
  • ROCKSTAR MANIC

The Vice City Coke Baron

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

I know its very weird, but every time I see shots of new York city streets on tv. I actually reminisce of times I've driven by the locations with niko. I get those 2008-2010 vibes because the music is so memorable.

TheSadisticOwl
  • TheSadisticOwl

Chrome horses with pink dollar horseshoes.

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

Seeing Star Junction for the first time and just being blown away by how big and accurate it looked like to the real Times Square, specially at night. It's such a pretty spot.

• anthony likes this

EtherTakeover
  • EtherTakeover

Player Hater

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted A week ago

I actually hated the game at first, I remember failing the mission where you chase the Laundromat guy and putting the game away for a long time. I guarantee I was one of those idiots who just wanted a San Andreas 2 (still too many of those exist). It was actually TLAD that got me to try it again, I guess I needed a big shootout to show me how cool the game could get (the shootout in the first mission of TLAD). Playing TLAD before IV is pretty weird but I put IV as a top game of all time. I love all the dialogue when someone is in the car with you, I fail missions just to hear the alternate version. I love the airport and spent many an hour there in multiplayer.

Me too I played TLAD then I played TBOGT and after I completed them I immediately bought GTA 4 and loved how all the stories are connected to each other.

Plank.
  • Plank.

le edgy contrarian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Going to midnight release with my older friend who bought it for me, and playing the first mission and driving to Roman's place.

Annihilator battles at the airport on MP, which eventually evolved to Buzzard battles. Good times clipping enemy tail rotors off and watching them fly out of control.

Exploring the world with people on MP, and getting into inaccessible and glitched places (i.e. China Shop).

Countless hours using the swing glitch, trying to see how far I could fly or how badly I could damage my vehicle.

That first time you unlock Algonquin, and how realistic and massive it felt.

• ROCKSTAR MANIC likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users