Quantcast

» «
Photo

What would you do with a 1 million dollars?

106 replies to this topic
Affalterbach
  • Affalterbach

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:25 PM

Since you cant life of off 1 million, i wouldnt spend it all. I probably would invest in a gas-station. Its my dream to own one, one day.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

The Mystic Peephole

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

Well, assuming this $1M is a winning rather than something you've earned and accumulated over time, I could get creative here.

1. Hire a lawyer. This is especially important when an individual wins the lottery - depending on the state or federal laws you'll have a certain amount deducted...but for keeping things simple let's pretend a tax on this winning doesn't exist. $1,000,000 winnings with no strings attached - I would hire a lawyer immediately to ensure any future ventures or investments go smoothly (as well as to protect myself from any competition)

2. Subtract $100,000, put it in my bank account. This is basically fun cash that I can do whatever with.

That leaves me with $900,000 (again going with the no tax rule.) Next I would...

3. Subtract $750,000 and use it to invest. The outcome will obviously vary depending on what you invest in and the time that you do. Some people come out fine, others go homeless after investing in fads - so ideally it would be short sparks in very concentrated industries. This leaves me with $150,000, which I would invest in a Roth IRA. This also covers my behind in case the $100,000 "fun cash" is used up by then.

4. Wait a really long time and stay frugal with the $100,000 fun cash. Assuming you invested in the right places, your lawyer covered anything scary, and you left the Roth IRA alone until you've lived beyond about 50 (assuming you make it there anyway) everything should be on the up and up. Or 7th is just really bad at finances and he'll be left penniless

I'd do similar to what you'd do, only I'd handle the finances a bit differently.

- 600k for investments

- 100k as money I wouldn't touch/in case of emergencies

- 50k to charity

- 250k spending money for things such as:

1) Buying a crap ton of music albums online that I've listened to over the years, supporting all the wonderful bands that have brought me such joy;

2) Get in contact with band booking organizations and try to get more/specific bands to come play/tour in our country, to share my love of rock n' roll and heavy metal with the rest of my people;

3) Apartment and car of my own

4) Figure out what else I'd want

• The7thOne likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:28 PM Edited by Scaglietti, 28 March 2017 - 07:30 PM.

1) Pay down college loans. ($40k maybe?)
2) Ford Focus RS or used Lexus GSF (haha depends would be my first car). ($whatever the RS costs or $67k.)
3) Big down payment on a small but really nice one story on the north side of town. (that house would cost from $190-350k with latter being really nice.)

If I'd have any left I'd save it and/or invest it.

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

Since you cant life of off 1 million, i wouldnt spend it all. I probably would invest in a gas-station. Its my dream to own one, one day.

Assuming you'll spend a modest 50,000 a year [IIRC its the average income of an American household] it should last you a solid 20 years without any work at all.

• Scaglietti likes this

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:35 PM

Well, assuming this $1M is a winning rather than something you've earned and accumulated over time, I could get creative here.

1. Hire a lawyer. This is especially important when an individual wins the lottery - depending on the state or federal laws you'll have a certain amount deducted...but for keeping things simple let's pretend a tax on this winning doesn't exist. $1,000,000 winnings with no strings attached - I would hire a lawyer immediately to ensure any future ventures or investments go smoothly (as well as to protect myself from any competition)

2. Subtract $100,000, put it in my bank account. This is basically fun cash that I can do whatever with.

That leaves me with $900,000 (again going with the no tax rule.) Next I would...

3. Subtract $750,000 and use it to invest. The outcome will obviously vary depending on what you invest in and the time that you do. Some people come out fine, others go homeless after investing in fads - so ideally it would be short sparks in very concentrated industries. This leaves me with $150,000, which I would invest in a Roth IRA. This also covers my behind in case the $100,000 "fun cash" is used up by then.

4. Wait a really long time and stay frugal with the $100,000 fun cash. Assuming you invested in the right places, your lawyer covered anything scary, and you left the Roth IRA alone until you've lived beyond about 50 (assuming you make it there anyway) everything should be on the up and up. Or 7th is just really bad at finances and he'll be left penniless

you forgot about step 1, the lawyer fee.

no money in gas stations. you only make pennies off the gallon, you make more on sales from inside the store.  but you can life off the million easy.

Affalterbach
  • Affalterbach

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:47 PM Edited by Affalterbach, 29 March 2017 - 02:47 PM.

Assuming you'll spend a modest 50,000 a year [IIRC its the average income of an American household] it should last you a solid 20 years without any work at all.

no money in gas stations. you only make pennies off the gallon, you make more on sales from inside the store.  but you can life off the million easy.
Yeah you can easily life off the million, only if you dont spend any of that money on other things... So that means you have a million, but no luxury. Gas stations do make good money, and if it has a shop its a win win. It all depends on the location tho.

Murciélago
  • Murciélago

💴

• Facade
  • None

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:18 PM

I was gonna say "buy a Zonda Cinque" but I realized that I would need $13 million more for that...
  • HeavyDuke and Locrito1995 like this

HOUSTON_SHERIFF
  • HOUSTON_SHERIFF

Blue Lives Matter

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:50 PM

Give it to charity and use it to help the poor

Rafae
  • Rafae

OG

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:16 PM

Just a million? Oh right you mean real life and not GTA lol

I'd probably buy me a sleek looking super car and then use the rest of the $$$ to buy a mansion. I'm selfish yeah idfc.

Michael
  • Michael

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:00 PM

I would probably buy a very nice camera and travel around the world, capturing the beauty everywhere, then buy a house somewhere. And with the pictures I collected I'll make a book and earn money with it. Oh, and I would go to a lot of concerts, a lot of them.

Acid Burn
  • Acid Burn

pool on the roof

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:53 PM

drugs. lots of drugs. and punch bjork in the face, not necessarily in that order.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:04 PM

I would probably buy a very nice camera and travel around the world, capturing the beauty everywhere, then buy a house somewhere. And with the pictures I collected I'll make a book and earn money with it. Oh, and I would go to a lot of concerts, a lot of them.

Traveling the world sounds fun. I'd go to Germany and find my birthplace or something. With all else set and savings/investments I would have the money and time to travel going off of what I said in my last post.

Mattodon
  • Mattodon

The Damascan Tusk

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:17 AM

Pay my debts, get a reliable car, go back to school—multiple times

SpooferJahk
  • SpooferJahk

*insert title here*

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best WIP Mod 2014 [Grand Theft Auto 3D]

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:38 AM

Buy a few games that fetch for high prices on eBay, then use the rest to live life pretty decently for a while.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:14 AM

Turn it into 100 million pennies then throw them all off the top of the Empire State building. 

• Acid Burn likes this

Acid Burn
  • Acid Burn

pool on the roof

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:00 AM

^ I carried roughly £100's worth of 1/2p's in a bag to those machines that exchange it for cash and afterwards it felt like I'd done a training session with mid 80's ripped Arnie, good luck with 100 million of the f*ckers.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:18 AM

^ I carried roughly £100's worth of 1/2p's in a bag to those machines that exchange it for cash and afterwards it felt like I'd done a training session with mid 80's ripped Arnie, good luck with 100 million of the f*ckers.

Maybe I'll hold back a grand or two to pay for some burly men (or women, this is 2017) to carry that sh*t for me. 

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:51 AM

Buy so many movies on Blu Ray I could literally sleep on them.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

That wouldn't be very comfortable. 

• Michael likes this

ChengizVlad09
  • ChengizVlad09

Grand Theft Auto 20th Anniversary.

• DB Staff
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:38 PM

I'd let it work for me, so it can produce many of its twins.

JuniorChubb
  • JuniorChubb

Aqualish Spy

• Van Society
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Certified Crew 2016 [Van Society]
    GTAF Time Trials Most Improved Driver 2016
    Best Event 2015 [Van Society Meetups]

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:00 PM

I would try and change my life as little as possible...

I would also consider using some to take R* to the small claims court to get those PC players their money back from the thieving gits.

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

ILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:33 PM

With that kind of money i would be a king over here lmao
  • No display name = This likes this

Hullian111
  • Hullian111

Humberside County

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:34 PM

Well,not me, but pay mortgage, get better car, bed, maybe new house, and for me, hopefully get out of this hellhole of a country.

Tokasmoka
  • Tokasmoka

Peon

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:37 PM

Ha, $1 million dollars wouldn't even buy a nice house here in BC.  It is beyond retarded.  Look up real estate prices and Vancouver, I mean it is the most beautiful place to live but it's not that beautiful!

But to answer the question I would sell my condo and buy a detached house and would still probably owe money.

gtaoplayer
  • gtaoplayer

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:31 AM

Buy a house for 200k-300k so I can finally have a stable home and a place to start a family (of course I'd have to find my true love first)

Buy a NSX

Put away 200k

Invest the other 400k into a few of my ideas, short films, passions/hobbies etc.

I like to create stuff...to say the least.
  • V4S and No display name = This like this

No display name = This
  • No display name = This

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:10 AM

I'd buy some guns and a bunch of drugs lol.

• V4S, Audi, alkaline_ and 2 others like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

Hold the world for ransom obviously.

• gtaoplayer likes this

Acid Burn
  • Acid Burn

pool on the roof

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:42 AM

i'd like to say i'd live moderately and invest it all carefully in stocks and high interest bank accounts but given where i live in the jolly old north of the UK i'd dead in a week from either being stabbed and robbed or a drug overdose

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Homie

• Members
  • France

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:30 PM

-Buy a nice house

-Create an independant media to fight among other things against the inequalities

• Affalterbach likes this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:45 PM

A million would be plenty enough for me. Where I live, 250k would get you a 5 bedroom, waterfront house. Why would I even need that? I wouldn't. But it would be more than satisfactory. What would I do with the rest? Buy a nice Jag, spend a further, I dunno, 150k securing my family's future, and done. The rest would be spent on the occasional holiday - which I hate anyway - and making sure my bills were covered instead of pissing it away on something that isn't necessary.
  • Neon_Dreaming and gtaoplayer like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users