Red Triangle - a GTA Fanfic

5 replies to this topic
Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

please read m,y bad fanfiction

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:09 AM Edited by Mr. Fartenhate, A week ago.

FbOcK4J.png

Heads up: This is a GTA fanfic, and there will be plenty of lore and universe expansion relating to locations, brands, and, like, other stuff also.

I'll be linking a Google Doc I'll update with some of the more niche brand references or new ideas.

Thank you for reading, by the way. Your attention and hopefully your criticism is appreciated.

Prologue - Overture

SUMMER

One - Slaves of Babylon

Two - Aqua Vitae

Three - Princeton Offense

Four - Glare

IwBvVO2.png

Overture

The room stank of mosquito repellent and dust, the beginning of summer's heat beating through the windows of the building. It was a messy space, littered with the clutter of busy people - yet nobody had came here for real work in years. Nothing legal, anyway. The old music playing on a nearby portable radio reflected this idea, the concept of a time both easily remembered and far away. A time when this neighborhood wasn't a quickly gentrifying sewer. A time when this place was more than a laundry used for dirty bills.

The slow tick of a running printing press could be heard behind a wall, the voices operating it speaking Spanish and chattering with Cuban slang. There was an immediate contrast between the workers and the two men in the office, white guys wearing summer clothes and sunglasses, grim faced. They weren't from here. They hadn't said anything for what seemed like hours, the two of them staring at the ground in silence as the air become tighter around them.

"I'm sorry," one said. His voice was guttural yet nervous, simultaneously worried and threatening, with a light accent that could be placed somewhere in Eastern Europe. He motioned his head up, his tired face, his sandy hair, his pockmarks and sunken eyes that flickered. His uncertain gaze that regularly focused on other parts of the room. “I… I understand this is touchy subject. I do. But it is necessary precaution.”

"Bullsh*t." The other sneered. He, on the other hand, was younger. Late twenties or early thirties, slim faced, with a shaved head and unruly facial hair. His voice was unaccented, American, somewhat nasally and well pronounced, much different than the man seated in front of him. He sat there, wearing a Mambas cap, a pair of gold Rimmers sunglasses, and an exasperated, gnarled expression. "You know..." he grunted. "You know I, just... I don't want to. I don't want to. There has to be, like, someone else. Anyone else."

"No." The other replied quickly. "Extinguish the flame before the fire spreads. You are just going to relay communications, A. I get you have a history, but that's exactly what we need. You have leverage. You have people. We both know that. I would go myself, but you know our situation here is not exactly flexible, especially with those degenerates from Tampa o-"

"Okay," A said, begrudged. He stood up and turned away, defeated, walking towards the door before coming to a sudden stop.

"Just... I'll call you, Mak. We can talk about this... later, alright?"
"Okay, alright. Just, please... do not disappoint me."

~

The Gloss' - For New Lore and Locations

• Carbonox, LevelDockSix, M0rk and 6 others like this

Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:20 AM Edited by Mr. Fartenhate, A week ago.

9ufxcXQ.png

9IQdCEU.png

Slaves of Babylon

“You’re a scumbag, Abbot. A real dick.”

“F*ck you.”

“No, no, no - really. You are. What type of degenerate drinks decaf?”

Abbot snickered and took a sip, smiling. It had been a long day, time ticked slowly at the office as the light murmur of keyboards clacking could be heard in the background. Conversation helped the time go by, he thought. He gripped his coffee mug, green with stripes, with one hand as he leaned with the other on a bench in the break room. In front of him stood his colleague, Lawrence.

“Like, the whole point of coffee is that it’s supposed to, uh…” he made a quick motion with his left hand, his right clutching a white mug reading ‘Don’t interrupt me when I’m boring you’. “Wake you up. Energize you, you know? I mean, getting rid of the caffeine is like getting the nylon out of a rug. It’s a key component. Otherwise it’s just trash.”

“Not if you drink the right kind of coffee,” Abbot said. “If you get that Bean Machine brand stuff, no sh*t you’re gonna hate it.”

Enter Lawrence, a twitchy guy with light hair and of average build. Round faced, brown eyed, wore his clothes right and talked fast. Abbot himself was lanky, careful, dark glasses and short hair matched with disheveled stubble. Lawrence shook his head, chuckled, and took a sip from his mug.

“That’s not the point. It tastes like dirt regardless," he said.

“Again, not the case. I don’t wanna have to reiterate myself here.”

“Okay, sure, whatever. Point taken. That’s not what I’m getting at here. What I mean is that one of the perks of coffee or whatever is the energy, the caffeine. I mean, you aren’t pregnant. Or prepubescent. You don’t really need to limit your intake.”

“But there’s the health factor,” Abbot replied. “You know, I heard it was healthier or something. Caffeine is a drug, you know.”
Lawrence put his mug on the bench. “Where did you hear that? I mean, I know the drug part, but uh... I- I don’t think that’s the case. It boosts metabolism or something.”

“I mean, I don’t remember, but I read it somewhere.”

“Or are you assuming it? I mean, coffee gets a heap of sh*t but I don’t think it’s the case. I don’t think it’s deserved is what I mean.”

“Look,” Abbot laughed. “I’m just gonna assu-”

“Nope, f*ck that.”

Lawrence made a grab for his phone, a Tenshun with a cracked screen and a Righteous Slaughter case. “I’m gonna Duplex it. I know for a f*cking fact that I’m right here.”

“Man, it's no big deal.”

“No, no. No. I know I’m right here, man. Watch, check it out.”

“Yeah, yeah, sure.” Abbot was already disinterested. He stared out of a nearby window, a large glass aperture with a good view of the street below, the pedestrians and the yellow cabs ambling on 34th Street. The people down there were bugs, grains of sand among the asphalt. He sighed, somewhat quietly, Lawrence not looking up to respond.

The office the two were in could be called almost palatial. Classy designs, rigid lines, open windows and open cubicles in monochrome and rich browns. Men in suits hurried through the halls of the establishment, some clutching manila folders and others holding paper cups emblazoned with the Bean Machine logo. The duo, along with a few others, lounged in the familiar walls of the break room, some seated and others near the water cooler or the vending machines. Abbot took it all in - the atmosphere of professionalism, of competence. Of sheer c*ntiness.

Nouwens & Visser LLP and Affiliates. You could feel the slime drip down the walls, the stench emanating therein. It was a poetic way of referring to the place, Abbot thought.

Lawrence laughed. “I f*cking knew it. I knew it. Eat sh*t.”

“What?” Abbot asked, pulled out of a trance.

“And I quote, and I f*cking quote; Despite having been demonized in the past, the truth is that coffee is mostly good for you. It is linked with numerous health benefits, which are mainly attributed to its antioxidant content and other active substances.”
“Yeah, yeah. I promise to never doubt you again, in, like, coffee related discussions.”

“What can I say? I can’t help being always right.”

He grinned, jokingly smug. Abbot, in turn, craned his neck back to the window and kept staring.

“You alright?” Lawrence picked his mug up from the counter and moved closer. “You seem kinda… quiet.”

“I know.” Abbot furrowed his brow and sighed. “I’ve just-... I’ve been thinking.”

“About?”

“Y-… you know.”

“Oh not this again, man.”

“What? What do you expect, dude?” He paused, momentarily. “Second time I haven’t kept up with my share. I mean…”

“Just because you don’t make enough to pay the rent every month doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world. sh*t, that’s why you share the rent. With a roommate.”

“Well, yeah, but still. He usually isn’t very happy about it.”

“Okay, sure, he might be pissed off, but if Rahim has enough to take you and his yuppie pals to nice bars and big parties, then he sure as sh*t can occasionally pay slightly more. I mean, doesn’t he work at some counseling place or something? Pretty sure it was therap-”

“Yeah, okay. We’ve been through this. But even then… I just don’t know if this whole thing is working out. I mean, I sure as sh*t don’t like people here. I don’t… man. It’s hard to explain.”

Abbot muttered, setting his mug down and leaning on the bench. Lawrence sighed, looking up at Abbot and making a weird face.

“Okay, um…” Lawrence sighed, again. “Okay, okay. I get you. I think. Prospects aren’t great, job is dead end schlock, that stuff. I get that feeling. Everyone does, but, man, look out the window, for once.” He made a gesture, pointing toward the window, slightly grinning. “Look at that view. You can see the little f*ckin’ ants down there, man! Sure, for a law firm, for the IT stuff, the pay is… eh. It’s eh.”

“Eh?”

“Yes, eh. Not the point, though. Okay, um…” He tried to get his train of thought back. “Right, uh, sometimes the guys working the computers can be complete dicks, but, like… look at all the cool sh*t. We have loose work hours, we can go in and out, like, f*ck it. We can go to the boss right now, say ‘we’re going out for a while, call us!’ , and we can just head out. I know a great Korean place that’s literally a couple blocks away, on 35th and 6th, y’know? They have gr-.”

“I’m not a big fan of Korean,” Abbot said.

“Okay, then we can just take the train to Lucky Plucker or something - it doesn’t matter, this is purely hypothetical. We can just head there, eat or whatever - and then if the suits break their HDDs or something, they can just call us! We’re lucky, dude. It’s the dream job.”

Abbot mulled after this for a moment, swirling his mug and frowning. “Ok, sure. Let's just say that's actually going to happen, that Isaac's actually gonna let us do that. But again.”

“Again what?”
“The pay. The money.” He scratched his nose. “I mean…”

“Then man up. Pull up your socks and talk to the bossman. Ask for a raise. I’m sure Isaac won’t mind. And sure, sometimes you can’t keep up with the rent, sure. But who c- who cares? That's why you have a roommate. Things are still cozy. Rahim doesn’t mi-”

“Well, I don’t kno-”

“Please don’t interrupt me. Anyway, uh… look. Where else are you gonna go? What else are you gonna do? I don’t think you should give this up, dude. You - we - have been doing well, we’ve been pushing through it. Where else would-slash-could you work? You wanna flip patties at BoltBurger? Make sandwiches at that deli? Move carpets at your dad’s f*cking rug store? That sure as sh*t wouldn’t fix the rent problem, would it? I mean, come on, A!”

“Whatever, man,” Abbot muttered. “I just… I just feel this isn’t working out. For me, anyway. A-a- and you don’t have to bring up my f*cking dad and all the other sh*t, okay? I mean, f*ck.”

“Okay, okay, sorry,” Lawrence piped, running his hand through his hair. “I’m sorry. Look, man, I’m… I’m as frustrated as you here. Really. I’m sorry if I get really pushy with this sh*t, man. I am. Heat of the moment and that sh*t.”

“Yeah, yeah.”

“No, really. I went too far with your dad. I get he’s still working sh*t out. It’s… it was insensitive.”

“Yeah. Thanks.”

“I just don’t want you to go. I don’t. You keep talking about this sh*t, like, every single week and it f*cks with me.” He grinned. “We’re like the dream team, you know? We work great together. I just… there’s job security and payment stability and… I just don’t want you making the wrong choice here. That’s all.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah, man. Of- of course, f*ck.”

The two said nothing for a while, silence as they occasionally glanced over at each other after taking sips. It took a while for Abbot to break the silence.

“Uh… you coming to the bar?”

“Nah.” Lawrence took a slightly obnoxious sip, setting the mug down. “I… nah.”

“C’mon, man, I asked Rahim to invite you this time. It’s gonna be fun.”

“I don’t like Rahim. I don’t like his sh*tty cocktail runs either, he’s a f*cking pain.”

“Dude. Don’t be a dick.”

“A dick? Come on, man. I mean, he’s just…” Lawrence sighed. “Sorry. Here I go again. Just, I don’t and can’t. Family stuff.”

“Family stuff?”

“My mom’s moving tonight. Helping with the furniture.”

“You coulda just said that.”

“I mean, it’s family stuff, Abbot. Just, private.”

“Yeah…”

Lawrence got up, mug in hand. He was less than pleased, it seemed, feigning a smile and scratching behind his ear.

“We should probably get back. We’ve probably missed a few calls at this point.”

“Yeah,” Abbot laughed, uneasy. “Time to get to work, I guess.”

The Gloss'

Chapter 2: Aqua Vitae

• M0rk, Pastry, ChickenAndBeer and 2 others like this

Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:33 PM Edited by Mr. Fartenhate, 2 weeks ago.

9n9SiYO.png

Aqua Vitae

The band was off. They'd just finished a set, some punk song with a harsh bassline and a vocalist who sounded more than a little stoned. Three guys; a drummer, a guitarist, and the aforementioned singer. All some grungy 20-somethings wearing dark denim and colourful jacket pins. They were going to come back on 'soon', something to do with a pulled muscle or a disagreement of some kind. Abbot wasn't really paying attention admittedly, the low hum of conversation that followed the performance was more of an interest to him. The smell of wood and sweat seemed to filter through without the distraction, and as soon as the crew got offstage, the penny dropped, a cacophony of Friday night chatter following suit.

She’ll Be Fine. Hedgebury’s premier live music bar, or so they said on the website. It was a nice place, sandwiched into a little crevice between two buildings on Roadbed Avenue - distinct by the use of a giant green neon sign stuck on the roof. It had good reviews, usually good music, and cheap drinks. Abbot was honestly surprised Rahim hadn’t taken them there sooner. He smirked, focusing more on the man seated next to him rather than the Puerto Rican couple having a dispute by the bar.

“F*ck work, man,” Rahim grinned. “F*ck work. I mean, f*ck. Just... f*ck. I get so tired of these, uh, these f*ckin’... these guys, sometimes.” The alcohol was talking, vodka mixed with frozen grapefruit and cimarrón. Too exotic for Abbot’s tastes, hence why he was stuck with a cheap glass of ‘whatever’s on the counter’ - the bartender picking out a yellow bottle of Cerveza Barracho and pouring it into a nondescript glass. Par for the course, he hadn’t even touched it.

“Okay, dude, cool it.” Abbot said. “Don’t want you getting, uh, worked up. Or, y’know.”
“Sorry, sorry.” Rahim feigned a smile before downing the rest of his glass. “It doesn't really, like, suck or anything… but just, man. This stuff really clears your head - yeah?” He laughed. “What’s it called again?”
“The drink?”
“Yeah.”
“A pink baby.”
“Really? Huh.” His lips curled as he started to fiddle with the glass. “Good name.”

Rahim was young faced, stood out usually. Big grin, olive skin and attractive features. Moroccan descent, Steinway bred. He sat there, red Rearwall puffer jacket thrown over the seat, revealing a white Sand Castle shirt. Abbot himself sat next to him, wearing a tasteful gray long-sleeve and a pair of dark skinny jeans. Rahim drunkenly smirked.

“You know, I’m glad we came here tonight. Good band on.”
“Eh,” Abbot grunted. “Not my thing.”
“Man, you listen to JNR. Like, Mingus sh*t.” Rahim retorted. “So automatic, uh… discarding. That.”

Abbot rolled his eyes.

“But that’s not the point, man,” Rahim continued. “I love t- uh… the energy here. I live for this stuff, this bar sh*t. You, like, you go in and out and… man.” He grinned. “I just love it. This is my sh*t.”

Whatever Rahim had said wasn’t exactly coherent, Abbot thought. He simply nodded in approval, getting a good reaction out of Rahim. “Y-... yeah.”

“Hey, where’s Bheru?” Rahim queried. “And wait, where’s Lawrence? Wasn't he coming?”
“I told you about Lawrence. He’s moving furniture.”
“What?” Truth be told, even after the music had ended, the chatter of the bar’s patrons still seemed to overpower conversation at some points.
“His mom’s moving. Like, houses. Apartments.” Abbot was sort of half-yelling at this point, talking over the crowd that seemed to be getting louder. “And, uh… Bheru is still in the bathroom.”
“Really? Damn.”
“Damn what?”
“I wanted to talk to him again... Lawrence, I mean. He seems cool and… yeah. He’s cool.”
“H- huh,” Abbot meekly muttered in response.
“But, no. If he’s helping his mom or whatever, that's fine. Like, I get it.” He slightly laughed, frowning before moving back into a slump.

Nobody said anything afterwards. Well, not nobody. The patrons still stirred, kept talking. The band was still off and the crowd was not happy. People kept going to the bar and complaining, the murmur of dissatisfaction getting louder by the minute. Abbot shrugged and looked back at Rahim, looked at him messing with his napkin and sighed.

“What?” asked Rahim.
“Why do you always, uh,” Abbot started. “Play with your… whatever, your napkins and sh*t.”
“Why are you always, uh... stopping?” Rahim responded. “Like, constantly. You, uh, you say something and you don’t continue. You don’t say anything. You just stop.”
“I, er, wouldn’t say that.”
“No, no. Yeah. It’s an awkward silence. That’s what it is. You love them, huh? That’s why you start a conversation… and then just,” he pushed his hand out. “Stop.”
“You don’t have to be a dick about it,” Abbot sniffed. “Always, always. When you’re drunk you alw-”
“Drunk? Oh, ho ho! I was just f*cking around, man - but of course it gets personal with you.” He scowled. “Drunk. I’m not f*cking drunk.”
“You’re not? Christ, you f*cking shmendrik. Listen to yourse-”
“What the f*ck is a shmendrik? What's with the f*cking snake tongue bullsh*t?”
“Snake tongue? Really? Is this what we’ve co-”

“Hey, uh… what’s going on?” Bheru asked, interrupting both.

He’d come back, oblivious. Thin, scraggly, combed hair and clean shaven. Bheru, even when he wasn’t at a desk, seemed to be always working - whether it was because he tried to dress sharp or always seemed like he needed another coffee.

“Nothing, Bheru.” Rahim pushed his hand through his hair, buzzed. “Abbot just can’t take a joke.”
“Nice," Abbot scoffed.
“Great. Great. Glad to see you guys are super f*cking peachy, as per usual.”

Bheru sat down opposite, in front of both his friends and his Coco Ortiz - rum, ginger, lemongrass and coconut. Half full. The obliviousness had melted, and mild annoyance remained.

“Oh, come on, dude,” Rahim said. “It's just banter.”
“Banter? What the f*ck is banter?” Bheru pushed his glass slightly forward, agitated. “Like, you guys have been… you've been on each other's asses since the rent thing. Do you people just thrive on tension? That feeling, like, when the air is tight and you wanna claw each other’s throats out?”
“Can we please not ta-” Abbot began.
Bheru swiftly cut him off. “No, Abbot, no. You both need to just… f*cking chill. It's constant. You both mutter something to each other or talk sh*t. It's getting boring. Just f*cking kiss already, jeez.”
“Guffaw.” Abbot snarked.
“Just… f*ck.” Bheru sighed. “I’m j- I’m just sick of it. Really. Can we have a discussion, one f*cking discussion without you two trading insults?”
“Alright.” Rahim looked at Bheru for a moment and then back at the table. “Fine. Fine! Let’s have a normal discussion. So uh…”

Nothing for a few seconds. No thoughts. Bheru looked unimpressed from across the table as the two fumbled for a conversation starter. There was still tension, it hadn't quite faded, but Bheru’s presence seemed to burn away any current grievances and slow the mood.

“Uh… work?” Abbot began.
“Well, I can’t say much.” Rahim sighed. “Confidentiality… uh…”
“Privileged communication, right?” Bheru guessed.
“Yeah, yeah.” Rahim snorted, quickly. “Uh… how about you, B? What have you been, uh, up to?”
“Me?”
“Yeah. What’ve you been doing at work? Any, uh… updates?”
“Well, I don’t know exactly what you mean, but, uh, yeah. Yeah. We recently had to update some UI stuff.” He took a sip from his glass. “There was a general interface bug that needed to be, er,  ironed out - functional issues. Someone messed with the coding and broke one of the main contact links, so we had to go through th-”
“Okay, sweet,” Rahim said, abruptly.
“Really?”
“All you need to do, is like, speak English.”
“Speak English? Speak English? Are you f*cking kidding me? Like, did you even do 10th grade Computer Science, or- or did you jigg it to roll joints at Kamerios Square?”
“Hilarious,” Rahim grunted.
“Yeah. How about you, Abbot? What have you been up to? Make sure to dumb it down for Wittgenstein over here.”
“Wow, Bheru.” Abbot sighed. “Way to have a normal conversation.”
“Look - guys.” Rahim perked his head up. “Like, sorry. Sorry for putting you all in, like, a bad mood. Can we please chill? Please? I’m… I’m just glad we’re all here, okay? Can we have a nice night, a good time out? I wanna enjoy Friday before I… whatever. Before the hangover. Alright?”
“Look,” Abbot began. “I th-”

Ring ring. The sound of muffled jazz, the opening riff from Slippin’ & Slidin’ by Yusef Lateef, filtered through Abbot’s left jean pocket and sent conversation to a grinding halt. Abbot pulled it out, Duplex make, no case - one word appearing over a picture of a brightly lit Tokyo alley. The other two looked on, interrupted.

“Uh, sorry,” Abbot pardoned, reading the contact’s name. “It’s dad.”
“It’s fine,” Rahim murmured. “I get it. You, uh… you get to it.” Bheru nodded in agreement.

Abbot got up, walking to a more quiet end of the room, away from the crowded tables and chatty guests. Bheru and Rahim looked over at him walking away for a moment, before turning back to each other and attempting to jump start the conversation again. Meanwhile, Abbot tended to the call.

On the other side of the receiver was a dazed, confused voice. Elderly, slightly accented, strained. “He’s home,” he said.
“Huh?” Abbot perked up. “Dad?”
“What?” he responded. He sounded choked up, like his head was spinning and he couldn’t think. His words came out muddied, mumbled, on the verge of tears.
“Are… are you okay?”
“No. Yeah. Yeah, I’m fine. I…”
“W- who’s home?” Abbot meekly asked.

There was silence over the line for a few seconds. “... come to the carpet store.”
“What? Why? Is ever-”
“Take your time.” He laughed, weakly. “It’s a surprise.”
“Dad? Dad, hello?”
In return, silence. Dead air. And then, a repetitive, low beep. The caller has disconnected. Abbot slowly slid the phone back in his pocket before spinning around and heading to his seat.

Meanwhile, the band was back. All three of them seeming down, annoyed. “Uh, hey everyone,” the vocalist said. The crowd responded with clear enthusiasm, hollering and the occasionally shout of 'finally'.
“Uh… sorry to keep you waiting,” the vocalist continued. “Er, we had a little… a little disagreement. But it’s nothing.” The bassist half glared before switching his gaze back to his instrument. Abbot stopped paying attention at that point, returning to his seat - his two friends seemingly happier than when he’d left.

“Hey, man,” Bheru said. “They're finally back.”
"Huh?" Abbot asked.
"The, uh, the band," Bheru replied.
“Hey, uh, you don’t look so good.” Rahim looked over at Abbot, eyebrow raised. He was right, Abbot didn’t look so good. Mouth slightly open, eyebrows furrowed. “Something up?” Rahim asked.
“Yeah… dad called.” Abbot scratched at his head before sighing. “I need to go.”
“What?” Rahim straightened himself out, focused. “Why?”
“He sounded… f*ck. He was really just, uh…”
“Well?”
“Vague. Unspecific. He sounded choked up, and… I’m just confused. He doesn’t sound in trouble or anything but I need to chec-”
“No, no,” Bheru said. “It’s fine.” Rahim nodded.

The group exchanged goodbyes, Abbot giving his share of the tip before walking out of the bar, Rahim and Bheru staring and murmuring. As Abbot pushed open the door, the band began to play a new song. A cover, he thought. Not that Abbot could hear much of it, he was already a block away a minute into it.

The heat seemed to beat down through the clouds, the sky black and starless, illuminated by nearby buildings and the tips of skyscrapers across the Humboldt River. The occasional pedestrian or several walked by, the street filled with parked mid-range cars and more of the same driving up and down Roadbend. Abbot, UnderPass in one hand and phone in the other, hastened his walk towards the train station, panic beginning to settle in.

The Gloss'
Chapter 3: Princeton Offense

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Most Creative [Writing] 2016
    Most Talented Writer 2015
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:46 AM

This has been sitting on my phone for the last 2 and a half weeks. Bout time I got round to reading it!

From a technical aspect, its mostly solid. No real spelling errors, grammars mostly good; boy nitpicks I won't bother with.

It did feel different to much of what I read here. The narration voice much more casual, and coupling with the dialogue, I can believe we're seeing things through perhaps abbot's viewpoint.

The dialogue runs with a heavy style, I assume to show the characters' inebriation, and that's fine, but I did feel at times I was walking through treacle; the ums and errs did feel like they got in the way a little - but as said, they're there for a purpose. Maybe tone them down a tiny bit.

The onlyy real gripe I can say I have is that there's little other than setting the scene here. We're introduced to the characters, and there is a degree of character to them, but there's not a strong sense of that hand pulling us in - only really the question about his father. The conflict between the characters is minimal and drunk speak - perhaps that'd be expanded later. Obviously there's more to this, so get that up when it's ready and let's see where it goes!
  • Mr. Fartenhate likes this

Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Mr. Fartenhate, 2 hours ago.

44967gJ.png

Princeton Offense

Hey.. you done?

The phone glowed, white on green in the messaging app as Latrell stared at the text. It had been a sequel, a third message following ‘Yo’ and ‘Knot man’. No responses from either, leaving him in the dark. He muttered, placing his iFruit on the dashboard and staring out at the passing cars and passing headlights across from him.

He was seated in a van, Vapid Make. Squalo. Gray with a little dent on the metal behind the left door handle, the words ‘Beijing King - Eat-In & Take-Out’ printed on the right side in faded red text. The thing was parked near a diner a block or two away from a YouTool warehouse near Firefly Island Creek, sort of haphazardly on the curb of West 17th Street as late night busses and random cars paced along the nearby Casey Avenue.

“Back me up on this one, Trell.” A voice hollered from the back. In turn, Latrell was kicked out of his trance and turned around.

In the back of the van sat two men, guys suited up in nondescript clothing and shrouded in the darkness of the poorly lit vehicle. To the left, Xavier Mills. Had a sort of mischievous look, like he was always thinking, always planning. The rest of him told a different story, however. Dry hair that stood up, bags around the eyes, and haphazardly shaved facial hair gave him the impression of being disorganised, erratic. He was anything but.

"Huh?" Latrell yawned.
"Eh, you listening? We taking bets on the finals. Second game comin' up."
"LOB?"
"No sh*t," DB replied. "X here having trouble thinkin’ clearly. Renegades is gettin' through, easy.”

On the other hand, DB, Delmar Belcourt, was younger and newer than the other two. Clean features, fierce eyes, nappy dreads, and a competitive mindset. He worked locks, cracked safes, broke chain link. So on.

“Sh*t, dog,” Trell cut in. “You finna make a grave mistake if you f*ckin’ with the Rens.”
“Exactly, Trell,” X said. “See, big R suck dick, at the end of the day.”
“Man, f*ck outta here. They got DeShawn.”
“That don't mean sh*t.” X straightened himself out and leaned back. “Venturas is pickin’ the Bandits. LSN, The Post, Eyefind Sports, all in favour. Thing is, they just got a better team all ‘round. For real, got niggas workin’ the lanes, got the best defence in the LOB, so on. I mean, it's a closed case.”
“How good is a good defence gonna do when you got the best player in Basketball running through? Ain't nothin’. Can't f*ck with DeShawn.”
“Bullsh*t. He ain't runnin’ the team,” Xavier remarked. “It's one guy.”
“Sure, one guy. Rens also got two of the best Point-slash-Shootin’ guards in the league, facts.”
“Delgado and Ingram?” Latrell queried.
“Deadass.” DB replied. “They versatile as f*ck, work the lanes, all of that. Next, you have the backbone - Center and Power Forward. Skimmer and Orlov. The royalty, son.”
“And? That all fine, but back in the BAB, we got Braxton, Cruz, Lamar. Sweet ass back line to compliment the two niggas in the front who bust sh*t.”
“F*ck that, man. C’mon, L, you gotta back me up.”

Trell thought for a moment and sighed. “Sorry, dude, ain't feelin’ it.”
“Ah, f*ck that,” DB replied. “When Knot come back, yo, he gonna get it.”
“Where the f*ck is he, anyway?” Xavier sniffed.
Latrell coughed, “I don't know, man. Might be takin’ a while at the storage locker, who knows.”
“He takin’ long enough, man. Time he's out, it gonna be 10 am and the opportunity gonna just vanish.”
“Speakin’ of,” DB began. “Can you go over the plan one more time? Gettin’ lost in this basketball sh*t. We got sh*t to do.”
“Yeah, yeah. One more time.” X smirked. “As always.”
“Man, f*ck you. I know the gist.”
“We all know the gist, b. Break the door, shoot on in, grab as much as possible.” X sighed. “What the f*ck is there to clarify?”
“I dunno. What we’re nabbin’, maybe?”
Come on.” X tutted, shaking his head. “Meds, electronics, guns, credit cards, f*cking shoes.”
“Anything with value, D,” Trell chimed in.
“Exactly. House is two stories, enough shrub to cover the windows, one nigga inside. Simple.”
“How you sure that there ain't a burglar alarm or some sh*t?” DB asked.
“Been scoutin’ the place for ages. Posted fliers, stayed across, whatever. Nigga don't got sh*t in there, no alarm, nothing. The delivery van’s gonna help us get past the gates, the sh*t K’s gettin’s gonna help us get in the house - it’s foolproof. You'd have to be retarded to f*ck this sh*t up, but then again…” He grinned.

“Eat sh*t, X,” DB said. “Fine, I get it. Simple. Beachgate Jakes gonna notice?”
“Doubt it. Pretend to knock n’ just go round back. Friend of a friend told me that if there's any cameras, they ain't pickin’ up the sound. You’d th-”

Suddenly, vibration. A buzzing noise, the phone on the dashboard making a quick ring and lighting up.

Hold up at gate. Security guard 730, prob won't last long. Drive into the yt parking lot so we can meet rq

As Latrell read over the text, he swore, muttered. “Rent-a-Cop holdin’ sh*t up.”
“He say that on the jack?” Xavier asked.
“Yeah,” Latrell replied, quickly. “That it, too.”
“F*ck!” DB said. “Now what?”
“We takin’ the car round into the YouTool parking lot. Meet him or some sh*t.”
“Man,” X muttered. “Told you motherf*ckers, shoulda come before closin’. If he f*ckin’ gets caught, I ain't know either of you. Swear.”

While Latrell began the process of starting up the car, he snuck a quick glance in the rear view mirror. Soft eyes, shaved head, goatee. You woulda thought he was just another guy, only coincidentally dressed up in purple. But underneath all that, under the striped polo shirt, the tattoos told a different story. He blinked, shaking his head - out of a trance, and twisted the key in the ignition, noting the little dog paw key chain dangling through a hole between his index finger and thumb.

The van itself didn’t handle very well, a brick with wheels. Floaty, hard steering and weighty handling that made hitting speeds above 40 a challenge. As he tugged out of the street, he took a moment to survey the area.

Barren. The first word that would've come to your mind would've been barren. Parking lots, gas stations, a scrap yard - this entire stretch was just a glorified truck stop, the dictionary definition of urban wasteland. The van, wheels rolling over aged asphalt, seemed to have a mind of it’s own as it chugged through the slog, right after left after right as Latrell gripped the wheel as tight as he could.

As the three drove up, Xavier looked towards DB and tried to tap him on the shoulder, missing the hit by a few inches, although he got his attention anyway. “How ‘bout that thing, eh?”
“Huh?” asked DB.
“Y’know. Birmingham.”
“Oh, man. Can we not talk about Carolina, please, dude?”
“Wait, you ain’t goin’ to Alabama?” X said. “Damn, mean Noodles talkin’ sh*t.”
“Oh, f*ck. How’d Noodles figure?”
“Everyone figured.” He half-smiled, eyes front, studying the road as Latrell searched the parking lot for a place to stop.

“Look, man,” Latrell said from the front. “Can y’all be easy? Big sh*t comin’ up, can’t let this sh*t f*ck it.”
“What sh*t?” Xavier asked.
“F*ck, pressin’ DB, that’s what. Y’all gonna argue all the way to the f*ckin’ spot.”
“Yeah, X,” DB added. “It’s private sh*t, man, let’s just… cut it.”
“We needa talk ‘bout this sh*t tho-”
“No.” DB said, matter of factly, trying to sound as authoritative as he could. “We don’t. Not now, not ever.”
“Ever? We finna organise, finna get sh*t straight. How we gon’ do that if we ain’t even know if you stayin’?”
“Holy sh*t, X.” Latrell was raising his voice now. “Shut the f*ck up, for real.”
“Since when was you the boss, L?”
“Since motherf*ckin’ right now, dog. Shut the f*ck up.”
“Oh, well excuse me, Mr. Palmer. Mister f*ckin’ bossman. I apologise for defaming a big shot nigga who runnin’ the whole gig, mast-”
“Please, man. We makin’ mooga, ain’t time to f*ck sh*t. Needa chill, be easy, calm the f*ck down.”
“When the f*ck we makin’ them notes, then? Takin’ long en-”

With that, the driver side door swung open, unexpected. Nobody heard the pounding footsteps or the clinking in the duffle bag wrapped over the man’s shoulder - the man now on the other side of the door.

Long faced, small nose, a grey LC Rampage hoodie, and a little pattern shaved into the left side of his head. Kavon Nelson, otherwise known as Knot. “Yo,” he began. “Move over, we gotta go.”

So, Latrell moved. Shuffled himself into the passenger seat and said; “What the f*ck happened to your bitch at the self storage spot? Runnin’ the reception.”
“Dog, she talk the guard outta goin’ further. She a life saver, swear.”
“Damn,” DB said from the back. “God bless.”
“Lucky I still got a favour, black. Otherwise, finna be held up by bars down on Precinct 60. Them boys, nah?”
“You got anymore favours to spare, bruva?” X said.
“Nah, used up.” With that, Knot flashed a quick grin putting his hands up on the wheel. “We gotta jet, for real. Don’t want no BG cops gettin’ sus over the whole ‘delivery truck’ joint.”
“Son, I told you,” X said. “Sh*t foolproof.”
“Who the f*ck orders Chinese at 2 am?”

A quick pause followed before Xavier finally replied, smug, just before Knot started the engine.

“This nigga.”

The Gloss'
Chapter 4: Glare

Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted A week ago Edited by Mr. Fartenhate, 5 days ago.

hQPppyf.png

Glare

It was 2 AM.

Streetlights and the occasional car illuminated the dark thoroughfare as Abbot hastened his pace, boots pounding the pavement, eyes darting, jumping from building to building. Beat down signs and newly painted apartment blocks, old sedans with rusty paint and graffitied walls.

14th Avenue, District Park. The heat pelted against the skin, if Abbot’s rolled up sleeves were any indication as he sprinted down the street. All Abbot could think, as he ran past the religious goods store on Old New Bunnik Road, or the kosher place on 38th Street, was the regret.

The train ran about 50 minutes, got delayed at the stop on Settler Hill after some guy puked on the train platform. No big deal, he would've usually thought. It's Friday night, same old. Some dumb schmuck overdid it at the bar, accidents happen.

But.

This was sort of a different situation. Time seemed to be ticking slower, every second, every millisecond counting as Abbot’s mind flashed between all random scenarios and horrible situations he could be walking into a while from now. What he could've missed. According to Duplex Maps, he could've reached his father’s carpet store in around 23 or 25 minutes if he drove. Should he have taken a cab? It would've been surge pricing on Zurst right now, a taxi might've been cheap if he just called them. Apparently, it was the same with taking a bike or something. He would've had to rent a LomBike, sure, but he still would've gotten there within 40 minutes at best. That would've been something, better than this.

But no, he continued to think, racing down the street as the familiar blue sign above his father’s store got closer and closer. He had to take the f*cking train.

Speaking of, the store. Cute little place, cooped up between a synagogue and some unlabelled café, aged walls and chipping paint on the window frames. Right on top, the aforementioned blue sign, ‘Cohen Family Carpets’ written above in white Cooper Black. The establishment, of which felt like it was miles away only minutes ago, was right up close now, Abbot himself only 20 feet away and getting closer and closer, Hinterlands pounding, eyes darting, mind racing as his feet did the same.

And there he was. It probably only took around 6, 7 minutes to get to the store after he got out of the train. But to Abbot, the time had been on fast forward, every single jiffy seemed like an opportunity he missed. But here he was, he thought, staring down the sign like it was staring back at him.

Was there anything out of the usual, anything that could've caught your eye, made you think ‘my father is now dead’? No. Nothing of the sort, just cars lined up and down the street, just empty road and dark windows - the only light apart from the lamps and apartment windows being a dim yellow spark radiating from the inside of the store. His father’s car, a black Pinnacle with a little air freshener dangling from the mirror, was untouched, no broken windows or dents from bats. At least it wasn't a car thief.

Abbot looked in, surveyed, studying the interior, the shabby carpets lined up on the walls and piled up on the floors. The dried, off-white wall paint. The little chip in the wall near the rear exit. But, shadows among the store’s light, two talking heads moving around the back room. The possibilities, while they still seemed to be ever present, ever dangerous, only seemed to shrink as he came closer and closer to the light.

Thus, he pushed through the unlocked door, half crouching as he came nearer and nearer to the back room door, trying as hard as he could not to make a sound. In lieu of a knife, he pulled out an aged pen he had stuffed into his back pocket as a sort of makeshift weapon, something to thrust into the neck if the other guy was a crook. He winced at the thought. Was he gonna be on the news?

He didn’t wanna be on the news.

And so, back to the wall, eyes on the door, he waited for noise. For any indication, anything that he hoped, nay, prayed would show this was all for nothing. He heard chatter, sure, but what was the intent? Was this some loan shark, some weird gun-to-head talk? He'd watched gangster movies before, he’d lived through 2008, and even though he couldn't make anything out; his mind was going a million miles a second.

All these thoughts, all those questions, culminated in one action. Hunched over, ready to pounce, he gripped the door and pushed it open.

But, no. There was no thief, no mobster, no crook. No guy with a gun or some weird cartoon character in a mask holding a money sack. His father, grinning, almost shocked in his joy, was in no danger. But what stood in front of him was worse than that.

There was a guy. Tall, gaunt looking, shaved head and more recently shaved beard. He seemed almost relaxed, calm. Unbranded work boots, grey cargos, white shirt, and a beat up green-and-yellow Mambas cap.

“Abbot?” He said. “Hey, man!”

His father, the same tired, frail man with the beige sweater and patchy beard, he looked towards the two with warmth, with a smiling, surprised happiness that radiated the room, a feeling that hurt. Achban was back. His brother was back.

Abbot couldn’t help but glare.

“What took you so long?”

He continued to glare as he drove, knuckles white on the steering wheel as the car lurched through familiar neighborhoods, old apartments passing by and blurring together as Abbot focused on the thick black line in front of him. The car, a rental. Little yellow Escalera sticker slapped onto the dashboard and a couple scattered bits of paperwork in random spots, mostly the backseat. Abbot looked at his phone in the cup holder, the one currently telling him to ‘turn left on Dartford Neck Rd.’, and then at the figure to his side.

The man, Achban, who seemed more and more foreign every time he caught a glance, was more than happy to kick back in shotgun and admire the scenery, the townhouses and little corner stores. To him, he was home, chewing the scenery and admiring his old stomping grounds. His mind going back to the little things, the newsstand on Goatherd where he used to work part-time as a clerk, the basketball courts at Sunrise where he'd meet with his friends, so on. If his brother knew what he was thinking, he would've puked.

“Huh?” Abbot asked.

“You took, like, an hour to get to the store. What happened?”

“Train ran slow. What can I say?”

“Yeah… y- you’re right.” Achban scratched his neck, sighed, and turned his attention toward Abbot. “Look, I don't want to get off on the wrong foot.”

“Wrong foot?”

“Yeah. Like, dad’s happy. Dad’s very happy. But… you don't seem to be. Is something wrong, dude?”

“I don't know, Achban.” Abbot’s grip only tightened. “I don't know.”

“C’mon, dude. You do.” He smirked. “Is it… is it a relationship thing? A work problem? I mean, I don't mean any offence, but, like, when I'm down it's usually beca-”

“Don't talk to me like that,” Abbot said.

“Like how?” Achban’s smirk faltered. “Dude, we can always talk. Always come to each other, right? That's what family is. I mean, you're my brother, man.”

“Are you?”

Red light, couple of cars in front. Traffic crossing, Abbot noted.

“What's that supposed to mean?”

“What's what? Like, what the f*ck do you think, Achban? What the f*ck is this?”

“I- I don't know, man. I missed you guys! I missed you, I missed dad.”

“No you f*cking didn't. If you missed us, you would've called. Would've Gryped, would've emailed, would've… I don’t know.”

“I was busy, man.”

“Busy? For a couple f*cking years, for this huge period, you were just constantly, endlessly busy?”

“Look, man, I get you're bitter, and you have every ri-”

And that’s when the nuke dropped inside Abbot’s head, the thin ropes snapped, patience wore thin, so on.

“Then why the f*ck didn't you come to the synagogue?” Abbot spat. “When mom died, when the stroke happened? Where the f*ck were you? When dad and I were both low on cash, when I had to pay a share of his f*cking rent so he didn’t get kicked onto the goddamn street, where were you? If you missed us - if you really were f*cking sorry, wouldn’t you have said something?! Wouldn’t you have done something? Helped us?

“I- I know, dude. I know. I just didn’t want you to get mad.”

“Mad? Mad?!” Abbot seethed. “Too f*cking late. I’m mad. You usually get pretty f*cking mad when some dumb f*ck decides to come back home after 3 or 4 or however many years of f*cking around in Florida, in some sh*thole in Vice City, and just… nothing! Saying, telling us, telling me, nothing. And here he f*cking is! Sitting there, and staring, and… it’s like I don’t even f*cking know you!”

“I know, I know, I know! I’m…” Achban sobbed, his voice light. “I’m sorry. I know I haven’t been here for you guys and… f*ck. I know.”

“Oh, man,” Abbot spat, brows angled, eyes focused on the road. “You don’t know. You don’t know anything.”

"I'm trying to! I'm trying to get it," Achban was pleading.

"Oh f*ck off. f*ck off. You should have tried. Don't you f*cking get it?" Abbot was red in the face, eyes watery, on the verge of explosion. "Time is up. Game over. No more chances. You had however many f*cking years worth and you wasted it, threw it away. It's over. I'm driving you to the f*cking spot, and then it's ov-"

“I’m begging you, dude. I am. I really am. I just… I don’t want it to be like this.”

“You should’ve thought.”

“Dude, dude - please. Please! I know I should’ve thought, I know. This all looks… it looks bad. It is bad! But I just want us to be friends, you know? To be good with each other. I missed that and I miss it now. I missed dad, I missed BK… I missed everything. I want to help now, help dad, help pay fees, do whatever. And I’m sorry I haven’t, and I’m sorry I haven’t been here, and you don’t know how sh*t I feel right now. I… we need to-”

“We’re here,” Abbot grunted, cutting him off, like he wasn't even here before. Like he wasn't shouting a minute or so ago.

“What? We’re here?”

“We’re at the spot.”

Achban looked outside the window. He was right. The car was parked, right where Achban wanted; a little apartment building on Pathway Court in Goatherd, nice little brick facades and a pink potted plant next to the stoop, alongside one or two 5 gallon water bottles perched on a little brick wall. Homely.

With that, Achban sighed again, looking back at Abbot and trying as hard as he could to pull off a ‘please don’t hate me’ look. Whatever that is. “I think I need to explain things. Everything.”

“Sure,” Abbot replied, monotone.

“It’s Saturday, right? Look, how about we meet somewhere tomorrow, around 3 or something. A coffee shop or something.”

“Fine.”

“Uh… are there any Bean Machine’s around or-”

“No,” Abbot said. “Like… I’m pretty sure there’s, like, an Uzbeki place or something on Firefly Avenue.”

“Oh. Really?”

“Yeah. On the maps app or whatever. Probably cheap.”

“Oh, is that the Claypan?”

“Uh…” Quick glance, right name. “Yeah.”

“I know the place,” Achban replied. Abbot mulled over this for a moment, but left it. He didn't want this to go much longer. “Look, are we going to be okay?” Achban continued.

“How am I getting home? I obviously can’t take the car, Achban.”

“Uh…” In turn, Achban, surprised, pondered for a few seconds before reaching into his pockets and pulling out a little brown wallet, from that a couple $10 notes. “Here, I guess. I’m sorry.”

Abbot stared for a little while. “Nice,” he replied.

“Look, I’d drive you but-”

“No.” Abbot stopped him, yet again. “It's fine, Achban.”

“Look, you can text or whatever when you're ready to go."

“You still have my number?” Abbot asked.

“Oh sh*t, right,” Achban said, almost surprised. Suddenly, another reach into the wallet. This time, the fingers pulled out another note; not a bill, but a little piece of paper torn out of a book, his digits scrawled on the blank side in blue pen. The other side was a torn out page from a newspaper, the words making no sense without context.

“Wow, Achban.” Abbot continued to stare, stare at the paper, stare at Achban, just stare. Things seemed to be colliding into themselves, the world spinning, everything happening at once. He felt funny. “You continue to amaze me.”

“What can I say?” Achban joked, half heartedly. “I’m a classy guy. I’ll call you, okay?”

“Yeah, Achban, okay.” Abbot sighed, “I’ll see you.”

The door opened and shut, the two leaving on their respective sides. Achban, a couple feet away, waved and smiled, sort of closed lip, and an unsure glance as he walked away. Abbot just kept glaring as his brother walked into his place... 'his' place.

The Gloss'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users