Photo

Quake Champions [2017]

27 replies to this topic
quxxo
  • quxxo

Gangsta

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:25 AM Edited by quxxo, 10 March 2017 - 10:27 AM.

quake-logo--colored-a277cd4f9b.png

Open Beta Trailer: 

Latest Trailer:

Weapons Showcase Playlist: https://youtu.be/SPc...GRfFwDcXuU7DhTm

The fast, skill-based arena-style competition that turned the original Quake games into multiplayer legends is making a triumphant return with Quake Champions. Running at an impressive 120hz with unlocked framerates, id Software’s new multiplayer shooter is getting ready to take PC gaming by storm once more. 

Official Site

NSQs8cq.jpg

• WHAT!?, Street Mix and Ivan1997GTA like this

Presidential
  • Presidential

lol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:47 AM

I play a lot of Xonotic which has a lot of Quake maps on it. Never got a chance to play any of the Quakes but all the dudes on Xonotic talk about like it's the game of all games so I'll have to check this out.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:53 AM

Quake 3 Arena was the best arena multiplayer experience I've ever had. Tons of hours spent on it back in the day, really enjoyed it. This was the time before loadout and classes. It was all about skill and map control. 

Glad to see they are taking a similar approach on this one, but cautious about the whole "hero skills" thing they have announced.

Still wish to see a Quake reboot similar to the Doom one. Quake 1 was an awesome experience.

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:45 PM

Looks too much like Doom and I'm bummed that there is no single player (I don't have the patience for multiplayer games). In my opinion, Quake > Doom.
  • Tchuck likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

Quake always bored me.

should've rebooted Unreal Tournament, instead.

UT is the definitive arena/competitive shooter.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:23 PM

Speaking of UT, it's been awhile since I last checked up on the progress of UT4. 

I've honestly never tried Quake before, but if it's free then why the hell not?

Gummy 
  • Gummy 

F*ck thyself

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:09 AM Edited by Gummy , 19 March 2017 - 06:09 AM.

Wish there was a single player campaign like the first Quake, with Lovecraftian and dark fantasy elements. The maps look pretty rad though. I'm still pretty skeptical with the hero stuff.
  • ClaudeSpeed1911 likes this

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • Contribution Award [Chain Game]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:22 AM

I'm still pretty skeptical with the hero stuff.

The game will have a vanilla mode - no heroes, just classic arena shooter.

• WHAT!?, Tchuck and ClaudeSpeed1911 like this

WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

chkn butt

• The Precinct
  • United-States
  • Best Member Named after a Stone Cold Steve Austin Catchphrase

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

Quake always bored me.

should've rebooted Unreal Tournament, instead.

UT is the definitive arena/competitive shooter.

Heh I've always had the completely opposite opinion. I never cared for Unreal. Played it a few times, didn't like how it felt, went back to Quake.

• El Diablo, ΣΓ and ClaudeSpeed1911 like this

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:22 PM Edited by ClaudeSpeed1911, 20 March 2017 - 06:23 PM.

I wish they would have made a true Quake II. A lovecraftian setting is too overlooked and unique as hell. A Quake like DOOM 2016 with a creepy atomsphere and rocket jumping would be awesome, though I would like it if they don't use arenas as much, keep them since they are fun but make maps that are more like the originals.

• Travedge likes this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:30 PM Edited by The Yokel, 20 March 2017 - 09:34 PM.

This can work if they include dedicated servers and mod support. Otherwise I don't see myself going anywhere near it. Especially since it's going to be free to play. It will attract a lot of cheaters, like every f2p shooter, and you need a way to deal with them in a fast and efficient way that only a dedicated server can provide.

• WHAT!? and Tchuck like this

Presidential
  • Presidential

lol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:35 PM

This can work if they include dedicated servers and mod support. Otherwise I don't see myself going anywhere near it.

Gotta have LAN, though.

• WHAT!? likes this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:35 PM

Gotta have LAN, though.

But can we dream that big?

WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

chkn butt

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:26 PM

This can work if they include dedicated servers and mod support. Otherwise I don't see myself going anywhere near it. Especially since it's going to be free to play. It will attract a lot of cheaters, like every f2p shooter, and you need a way to deal with them in a fast and efficient way that only a dedicated server can provide.

LAN support and mods, then I could care less what they do with the servers.(But you're right about the severs).  

I hate how they handled modding for DOOM. Everything has to come from the developer. Every map has to be snapped together with pre-made pieces... which actually is innovative for consoles but crippling for PC. If they force that pre-made cookie cutter crap with Quake Champions on PC the scene is going to be incredibly stale very quickly. We need a new equivalent for the Q3Radiant editor. The community needs to be free to lead itself again when it comes to level design. 

I f*cking hope it happens.

• Tchuck and The Yokel like this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:28 PM

Well it's a PC exclusive, so there's some hope.

• WHAT!? likes this

WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

chkn butt

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:48 PM

Well it's a PC exclusive, so there's some hope.

I actually missed that bit. I'm so used to everything making a release across the board I just assumed. That is good news.

• Street Mix likes this

WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

chkn butt

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and double post. I stumbled on some early game play footage. It's been recorded over someones shoulder as they are playing and it's super early stuff but it gives a decent impression of team deathmatch. I think it might be from PAX East?

Apparently loot boxes will be a thing.

• Tchuck likes this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:20 PM Edited by The Yokel, 21 March 2017 - 02:21 PM.

Looks like Quake alright. It also seems to feel like Quake. There's a lot to be excited about.

• Tchuck likes this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

Interesting. One thing is sure, nobody does weapons, especially the rocket launcher and shotgun, as well as id. At least they used to; I've not played the latest Doom so can't say.

Also nobody does movement controls as well as id and their engine. Rage still has the best shooter controls for a console controller, as well as for kbm. And no game comes close to combining both control schemes together.

So I'm still kinda bummed that we don't get to see much of id engines anymore. And, I'm even more bummed we don't get a single player Quake. Yea yea yea, everyone kept saying Quake is for MP only but screw that. Both Quake and Quake 2 were great single player games in their own right.

Q2 in particular had a lot of features and design elements that were praised in HL and everyone forgot Q2 did them earlier, sometimes better. Great games, perfect soundtracks too. The late 90's was such a cool time for shooters.

WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

chkn butt

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:02 PM

It would be cool to see something that was written in the vein of the original Quake, but I'd honestly just be happy with bot play on the single player side. I'm just as much a fan of Q3:A as I am the original game. If you haven't given the new Doom game a go yet you really should. Worth the buy.

New arena video dropped.

• Tchuck and The Yokel like this

WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

chkn butt

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:35 PM

Well since I have been playing the BETA I'm going to go ahead and bump this with some thoughts. The Bethesda BETA forums have a lot of activity at the moment and they are getting a ton of feedback. A lot of it is very constructive and I hope they are seriously listening.

My personal gripe is that I don't like where they moved the HUD to. It's not really usable over at the side of the screen. I'm always focused on combat and aiming which all more than less take place at the center of the screen, so when information is placed off to the sides I'm just not going to notice it. In Q3A players would also let out a scream that increased in severity the closer they got to death. Even if you were not paying attention to your HUD in that situation the game was still giving you another form of feedback to keep you up to date on what is happening with HP.

This is compounded by the fact that so far the health system isn't very consistent from player model to player model. Since there are elements of Overwatch here each "hero" has different strengths and rather than a point based health system where everyone gets the same amount we seem to instead have a health system that rounds up by a percentage based on the size of the powerup you get. It's not always a consistent amount of health.

Through the BETA that was my biggest hit for the whole thing. HUD needs to be re-worked/customizable. Audio feedback needs work, and... not sure what to make of the health system.

Some people were complaining about the netcode citing issues with movement, but I didn't experience any of those. I will say that the Rocket Launcher isn't quite right yet. Rocket Jumps really don't happen with the strength that they should. I noticed the Lightning Gun was a bit inconsistent as well. Some oddities with physics surrounding that weapon.

I miss the server browser, but I understand what they are trying to do in keeping the player base together. They want a free to play e-sports title.

Overall I had a positive experience though. Even with the shortcomings I plan keep the game, possibly even throw some money at it. The movement and combat is generally pretty great. The three levels that I have seen look amazing. There is a lot to get on board with, I just hope they put the right polish on it and figure out what they f*ck they are doing with player health. Also something to keep in mind. It is possible to turn the hero elements off and have a classic Quake experience as well... which is something I will be doing.
  • The Yokel and ClaudeSpeed1911 like this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:27 PM

Open Beta is up for the weekend. I just played two matches and I can safely say that I suck at this game. I'm not sure that I can even get better at it. It's a good game. But it's also a young man's game and I'm 28. Jesus, I was barely a teenager when Quake 3 was a thing. I no longer have the time nor the reflexes to get better :(

dot.Error
  • dot.Error

Antagonist

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:41 AM Edited by dot.Error, 13 May 2017 - 08:41 AM.

Hopefully they will release Quake Champions on Steam. It would gain massive popularity this way.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

It would be cool to see something that was written in the vein of the original Quake, but I'd honestly just be happy with bot play on the single player side. I'm just as much a fan of Q3:A as I am the original game.

Is there going to be any single player stuff? It's marketed as a multiplayer game so I doubt it. I'll just stick to the older Quake games with graphics mods.

WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

chkn butt

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

It would be cool to see something that was written in the vein of the original Quake, but I'd honestly just be happy with bot play on the single player side. I'm just as much a fan of Q3:A as I am the original game.

Is there going to be any single player stuff? It's marketed as a multiplayer game so I doubt it. I'll just stick to the older Quake games with graphics mods.

From what I have seen of it, this game will be strictly multiplayer. It's basically Quake Live meets Overwatch.

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

Godfather

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Ireland

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:31 AM Edited by EmSixTeen, 12 June 2017 - 08:32 AM.

So, they've announced a tournament at the upcoming QuakeCon with a $1,000,000 prize pool. That's some good sh*t right there! They need to throw money at the game and scene in order to compete with the other titles that are hogging the limelight - Quake needs a serious return to prominence. It's the Daddy.

Along with announcing this they've also shown off a new champion, yer man from Wolfenstein.

Open beta at the moment, no excuse not to give it a go. If anyone in the EU wants games, gimme a shout.

• WHAT!? likes this

WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

chkn butt

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:41 PM

Just heard about this through the vid I am posting below. id and Bethesda are really throwing some weight into the game. To my surprise, Quake Champions also now supports custom servers!

• EmSixTeen likes this

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

Godfather

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Ireland

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

Can't wait to hop on the update, haven't had the chance but looks like I'll be able to today. Gonna have to share time between this and the MvC:I demo though.

• WHAT!? likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users