Help regarding PC Build

20 replies to this topic
LevelDockSix
  • LevelDockSix

Urban Legend

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • India

Posted A week ago

Hi, I'm building a PC and I could use some assistance with part selection and such; keep in mind I haven't personally built a PC since 2001-2 (with my father when I was a small kid), our family just switched to laptops since then but I can finally build one now!

Goal: Gaming (me), Photo editing (father)

Current parts list draft:

Case: Fractal Design Define XL Titanium Grey R2  (suggested by blaze, and quite frankly I'm in love with it!)

Monitor – 1: Asus PA328Q, ViewSonic VP2780-4K, Dell UltraSharp UP2715K (got any other alternatives?)

(and maybe)

Monitor – 2: Dell S2417DG gaming monitor 24 "LCD 1ms/IPS/DP/HDMI/USB/3RNBD/Black

Processor: INTEL Core i7-7700K (4.2GHz, 8M, LGA1151, VGA)

alternate: INTEL i7 6800K, Ryzen 1800x perhaps?

Motherboard: ASUS STRIX Z270E GAMING

RAM: not sure on capacity, bandwidth, brand. I've been looking at some 32GB HyperX and Corsair kits for now.

GPU: a GTX 1080 Ti, probably ASUS or MSi (need to check out the benchmarks and such but I'm more than likely sticking with this)

SSD: M.2 1,000 GB Samsung 960 EVO

HDD: Black 2TB HDD WD2003FZEX 64 MB SATAIII/600 7200rpm

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 650W

Cooler: be quiet! CPU cooler Dark Rock PRO 3

Any advice on the above list + further recommendations on parts, peripherals, etc. would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• 2281 and Audi like this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Tämän Maailman Ruhtinaan Hovi

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted A week ago

I'd not bother with a standard HDD at all. Given the cost of the build the expense of a couple of 1TB SATA SSDs is pretty trivial.

The 7700k makes more sense than the 6800k for most users, unless you're doing lots of rendering or want an SLI build.

If you aren't overclocking, you don't need a K series processor at all.

Previously I'd have agreed with an ASUS Strix board, but they've had some real BIOS QC issues recently including one which resulted in their X99 boards trying to dump 2v through a colleague's brand new 6800k and frying it. Can't fault MSI personally.

Massive variance in price of monitors you've posted there, I'd be inclined towards a single "catch all" solution in the form of a fast, IPS G-Sync 2K monitor. That's still the "sweet spot" in the high end for me. You could go ROG Swift, but they're a little on the steep side when something like an AOC Agon will do pretty much everything they do at a much lower price.
  • LevelDockSix likes this

Arrow
  • Arrow

Let's end this!

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted A week ago Edited by Arrow, A week ago.

I've previously used Dell UltraSharp for College presentations and I can say that it'll give you better performance over ASUS. Go for it, if price isn't an issue. For your storage, with all the powerful equipments you're adding in, I'd recommend getting a SSD instead of HDD. They're gaining more popularity and offer additional performance.

LevelDockSix
  • LevelDockSix

Urban Legend

• India

Posted A week ago

I'm leaving the monitor front to my father since he's fronting that end especially; he says he needs a 4K panel for his editing. I'll look around for my own monitor some more (that AOC looks good!).

Storage wise you're right, maybe I'll ditch the HDD and go for another SSD, especially since we have plenty of external disks we use frequently already.

I'm not sure where I stand on the overclocking front, but we certainly won't be doing anything for a while so I'll take your advice and drop it to a 7700.

Do you have any suggestions for an alternate motherboard then? Do I stick with a Z270 or do I go for something else altogether? And will I need some external components like WiFi controllers etc. for the same?

Also, any preference to GPU partners? Zotac, EVGA, MSi, etc.? Thanks again :^:

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• European-Union

Posted A week ago

I would possibly move away from Z270 if you aren't overclocking, but to be honest given the build cost it's a fairly trivial amount of money. If you need WiFi I'd just get a USB3.0 one, I've got an ASUS USB-AC55 which I paid about £35 for and which has been absolutely flawless for the last 18 months.

I'm a big fan of Zotac for GPUs. 5 year warranty and UK RMA centre.

LevelDockSix
  • LevelDockSix

Urban Legend

• India

Posted A week ago Edited by LevelDockSix, A week ago.

Many thanks once again, sivis :^: you've been a great help!

edit: do you have any advice regarding air coolers for my case? I've checked online and I've seen a install using two Noctua fans as an intake and exhaust to form a vacuum through the system in addition to the included fans with the case. I live in a literal desert and I'm worried whether under high loads, even with air conditioning on, if ill have sufficient cooling available.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• European-Union

Posted A week ago

Something like a Cooler Master Hyper212 EVO (cheap) or Noctua NH-D15 (expensive) is all the cooler you're likely to need.

On or two intake fans at the from, one exhaust at the rear, and you'll be fine.

LevelDockSix
  • LevelDockSix

Urban Legend

• India

Posted A week ago

Sorry to be a bother once again, but any recommendation on RAM, please? Both vendors and size, thanks!

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• European-Union

Posted A week ago

I'm using Corsair Vengeance LPX. Mine's quad channel DDR4-2400 because of (X99) motherboard limitations/preferences, but in your situation I'd look at dual channel 3200MHz stuff.

2x8GB is "enough" for most users. For lots of photo editing, I'd recommend 2x16GB. You really don't need more than 32GB.

LevelDockSix
  • LevelDockSix

Urban Legend

• India

Posted A week ago Edited by LevelDockSix, A week ago.

I was eyeing a similar Corsair kit, 2x16 3200MHz (plenty of photo editing is going to take place). So I guess that settles that :)

I guess that about does it for my queries for now; I went through PCPartPicker to check for any outright compatibility issues and found none. I just have to wait some time for a Zotac or MSi 1080 Ti to release plus decide on peripherals and I'll have my build underway.

Appreciated the help, sivis!

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted A week ago Edited by Andreaz1, A week ago.

I'd bump it back up to a 7700K. Overclocking isn't the only advantage, it also has quite a frequency increase. Saving money by going to the 7700 makes no sense unless you also drop the Z270 motherboard and aftermarket coolers in my opinion. Not to mention that overclocking is what is keeping the 5 generation old Sandy Bridges alive and well these days. It'll benefit you in the long run.

Ideally if your gaming is going to take place in 4K where GPU is the bottleneck I'd go Ryzen 1700 with an overclock which will match the 7700K in gaming and kick its ass everywhere else.

Audi
  • Audi

Scheiße

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Germany

Posted A week ago

Corsair Vengeance LPX is great 

• LevelDockSix and Arrow like this

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Technology / Programming] 2016
    Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted A week ago

7700K is definitely the best option mentioned so far. It's worth the price tag, and yes, even without OC.

Also, I'm very happy with modern closed-circuit water coolers. I'm running a Corsair cooler on my machine, and couldn't be happier with it. It is way, way quieter than any air cooler would be.

Arrow
  • Arrow

Let's end this!

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted A week ago Edited by Arrow, A week ago.

I would suggest using Corsair H100i V2 for an AIO Cooler. It has a larger surface area and diameter. Tt comes with thermal paste pre-applied and has a 5-Year Warranty. It can easily handle all the heat if you throw a GTX 1080 and i7-7k series. Also for GPU brands, I'd suggest going with Zotak. They've a great customer support.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• European-Union

Posted A week ago

If you're looking at an AIO, I'd probably err towards a NZXT Kracken X52 at the moment.

LevelDockSix
  • LevelDockSix

Urban Legend

• India

Posted A week ago

Thanks for the inputs, all. I'm still looking around and researching what I can before I take the "plunge".

If you're looking at an AIO, I'd probably err towards a NZXT Kracken X52 at the moment.

The Kraken looks unbelievably good! I'm actually pretty tempted to opt for one now; anything I should know about or change in my build if I do go that route? I've looked at some build videos (including one by PCPP) and it seems simple enough to install.

Also, I'm now wondering whether I should change my choice of case; the Fractal XL R2 is great but I'm questioning if I really need such a large case now. I'm all for space inside the case but if a better alternative is available I may as well opt for that to be honest. Any recommendations considering the parts in mind?

To recap, this is the current parts list:

• i7 7700K
  • ASUS Strix Z270-E (I'm still on the fence regarding this, might change it to an MSi)
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8)
  • Zotac GTX 1080 Ti (probably the AMP! Extreme depending on regional prices)
  • Samsung 960 1TB
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 650W

Wowser!

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

Have you considered their "standard" ATX cases, such as the Define R5?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• European-Union

Posted A week ago

Define R5 is a lovely case. I'd also look at the Cooler Master MasterCase Maker 5 and Corsair Crystal 460X.

LevelDockSix
  • LevelDockSix

Urban Legend

• India

Posted A week ago

The 460X looks amazing, and it's around QAR 300+ cheaper too ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ should go nicely with the Kraken's RGB lighting. Unless something comes up I think I'm sold on it!

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Technology / Programming] 2016
    Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted A week ago

Corsair cases tend to be great for cable management. I have a good inch of space between the chassis and the back panel on mine. I wouldn't call it the main factor in deciding on a case, but it really does help with the build. And 460X is all in all a well-built case. Some great options for cooling there, whether you go with air or liquid. If you go with that Kraken, it should fit in nicely at the top, making installation a breeze. So 460X gets my vote as well, for what it's worth.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★☆★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted A week ago

idk why but i always liked the Nzxt S340 elite, maybe its the clean look, now if only it it had space for a top radiator :/

xlarge_70b4fdc51f7a7fcc.png

• sivispacem and LevelDockSix like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users