Quantcast

» «
Photo

Car customisation - what makes the most difference?

5 replies to this topic
AmyStone
  • AmyStone

Amy Stone

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

Having recently figuring out I can do quite well in races if I only play non-contact, I've been more interested in buying cars and customising them. What I haven't been able to figure out is the things that actually make a difference to performance. Once you have done all the major upgrades (engine, turbo and brakes) what other things will make any noticeable difference? Do the front and rear bumpers affect anything or are they just for a different appearance? Do tyres make any difference? If they do, for pure speed, which tyres are best?

Hazzardtohimself
  • Hazzardtohimself

Terrible driver

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

For most cars you should investigate the spoiler option - some selections are cosmetic, but others increase traction (just watch for a blue increase in the statistics meters in LSC). Some vehicles have less obvious 'spoilers' like the rear (spare) tyres on things like the Stirling GT, Dubsta etc., so just watch to see if the meters change as you tinker. Some motorcycles also have 'random' unofficial spoilers, like the front bars on the Faggio Mod or the chain cover on some of the Bikers selections, which also increase the traction meter.

Speaking of tyres, the style of rim you pick doesn't really matter. Most 'hardcore' racers swear by offroad selections as the thickness of the tyre wall masks out bumps on the road - your mileage may vary, so I'd recommend picking whatever you want to.

Apparently lowering the ride height reduces the centre of gravity and therefore lowers the chance of your vehicle spinning out, but again this might be psychological rather than official!

Armour doesn't hurt to invest in as well. It won't reduce your acceleration or speed (it doesn't increase weight), but it's useful to reduce the damage your vehicle receives from impacts during races / stunts. Oh, and carbon fibre panels don't reduce weight either - that's false advertising from LSC.

So armour, brakes, engine, spoiler, transmission, and turbo are recommended. But you'll win most races by smooth driving technique and (daft but relevant) curb boosting.

• AmyStone and DedSoolp55 like this

AmyStone
  • AmyStone

Amy Stone

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the great reply and lots to think about. I'll just have to play around a bit I think.

One question though. What's curb boosting?

Hazzardtohimself
  • Hazzardtohimself

Terrible driver

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

One question though. What's curb boosting?

It's how GTA physics work with wheels / suspension (i.e.: not true to real life!). Also it has something to do with FPS, with higher framerates increasing its effectiveness.

When the tyres and/or springs are compressed and released in game, your vehicle (be it a car, truck, bike, aircraft [seriously!]) gets a marginal speed boost.

So if you drive up and down curbs / kerbs, potholes etc. you will reach a higher straight line speed than if you follow the road smoothly. Repeatedly doing this by weaving along the side of the road or stunt track without​ skidding yields better speed.

Broughy1322 has a few videos going over the finer points of racing lines, curb boosting etc. if you get serious about things!

smartergaming
  • smartergaming

PS4 (and PS3) YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrExmnqtB

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago Edited by smartergaming, A week ago.

The only problem is that Broughy1322 likes short, slow, curb boosting, go-kart tracks... and so his lap testing is not valid on medium to high speed courses... and his top speed videos are not accurate on most vehicles as he is testing on a downhill slope, on terrain and curved roads....  For example in most videos he claims off road tires are faster... then he admits in another of his videos that is only on 5 or 6 cars that "tire clipping" is on....  and in that video says on higher speed course off road tires have slower top speed.... ????  He contradicts himself...????   He states the top speed of the Bati 801 is 131.5 mph and is the fastest in the game but I have tested on level, straight stunt tracks and found much different results... here are a few examples: 

Testing the Bati 801 on a flat, straight and level stunt track. 
Maximum top speed in any quarter mile segment 137.61 mph!!!
Average top speed over one mile 137.25 mph.
Best quarter mile time 10.41 seconds.
Best one mile time 30.89 seconds. 
Best two mile time 57.189 seconds.

Testing the BF400 on a flat, straight and level stunt track. 
Maximum top speed in any quarter mile segment 139.77 mph. (but not as easy or consistent as the Bati)
Average top speed over one mile 139.76 mph.
Best quarter mile time 10.47 seconds.
Best one mile time 30.03 seconds. 
Best two mile time 56.789 seconds.

Testing the Rat Bike on a flat, straight and level stunt track. (very slow to start and glitchy, inconsistent)
Maximum top speed in any quarter mile segment 145.16 mph.
Average top speed over one mile 144.02 mph.
Best quarter mile time 12.07 seconds.
Best one mile time 32.63 seconds. 
Best two mile time 58.023 seconds.

smartergaming
  • smartergaming

PS4 (and PS3) YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrExmnqtB

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

on different vehicles (cars, motorcycles, etc) different things may increase performance... so my recommendation is do all the mechanical and body upgrades... armor, brakes, engine, spoilers, suspension, roll cage, turbo, transmission, I use high end or sports wheels, bullet proof tires and custom tires on everything (except my off road vehicles used for off road races). 

The absolute must have are the brakes, spoilers (sometimes rear mounted tire), engine, transmission, turbo, any roll cage, armor. suspension (on most) ...   then go racing.... 

Just so you know that curb boosting does not work on all vehicles... on some it slower... lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users