CodeWalker 3D Map Viewer for GTAV

V Released V WIP
143 replies to this topic
Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

God Save the Penis

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago Edited by Mr.Arrow, A week ago.

I'm hoping it's all just some big crazy misunderstanding...

While Take Two's action is completely unacceptable, I think OpenIV closed modding policy is partly the problem here. Almost everyone is depending on one tool don't you think? We don't have enough documentation about the files and resources because OpenIV don't seem to bother sharing with us.

I think NTAuthority is right, closed source modding is not helping the community at all.

Let us serve this as a reminder, and we hope that in the future modders will not repeat this mistake : DCfPSzqWAAAOPHA.jpg
  • thehambone and ArthurLopes like this

dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

I made sure to include full source code with CW in recent releases, in case this sort of thing would happen. But I also completely understand their concerns about releasing source code. I was hesitant to release CW code initially, probably for the same reason as OpenIV.

dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

Maybe I missed something, but from what I found in source code, it seems you are not loading DLCs with overwrites from \update.rpf\dlc_patch\*. So map does not have to match 100% with in-game map.

It should be loading from update.rpf\dlc_patch ... If you are looking in the source code for how that happens, it's in GameFileCache.GetDlcPatchedPath() method.

dav90
  • dav90

Player Hater

• Members

Posted A week ago Edited by dav90, A week ago.

Maybe I missed something, but from what I found in source code, it seems you are not loading DLCs with overwrites from \update.rpf\dlc_patch\*. So map does not have to match 100% with in-game map.

It should be loading from update.rpf\dlc_patch ... If you are looking in the source code for how that happens, it's in GameFileCache.GetDlcPatchedPath() method.

Yeah you are right, sorry! ... code was too big to search it line by line and I just searched for "dlc_patch" string, which I see was dumb thing to do. Of course load real path from .meta is much better and I should think of it since I use the same approach in my modding tool :D.

Anyway I really hope you are not about to stop developing this awesome tool just because of some rich company bullying. As long as you are not sharing complete decryption key, you are not doing anything illegal and you should not get that feeling just because someone uses cheap and immoral way to convince you that you do.

• dexyfex likes this

Mysterdogg
  • Mysterdogg

The Original

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 6 days ago

Just found this tool today and is incredible, thank you very much for making this; I can finally know the names of some objects I was trying to find folder by folder with OpenIV. I will definitely mention you in the credits of my current project.

• dexyfex likes this

mockba.the.borg
  • mockba.the.borg

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 5 days ago

Awesome tool ... maybe make a GitHub repository so we can submit suggestions/patches.

Thanks,

Mockba the Borg.

• dexyfex likes this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 2 days ago Edited by Ash_735, 2 days ago.

Uh Oh

According to mystery hunters, these images were obtained via a tool known as Codewalker, which allows users to load up the GTA map. Through Codewalker, players can explore GTA to a degree they normally can’t in-game, and it also allows them to peer into the game’s code. Using both the code viewer and the model viewer in Codewalker, Team Guru members Tom and Gramz and Codewalker creator Dexyfexy identified a group of new, never-before-seen props.

Take-Two:
  • Tomasak, Mr.Arrow and dexyfex like this

Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

God Save the Penis

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 days ago

I heard this from reddit several days ago, pretty neat that they found something new about those easter eggs.

And back to Kotaku, this seems like a good way to get unwanted attention.... *looks at Take Two*
  • dexyfex likes this

dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 days ago Edited by dexyfex, 2 days ago.

Out now:

• Gforce, Ash_735, Tomasak and 8 others like this

mockba.the.borg
  • mockba.the.borg

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago

Damn ... now I won't be able to sleep until v23 is released ... :)

• dexyfex likes this

HeySlickThatsMe
  • HeySlickThatsMe

Aiden penirse gives Jordi chink a T-Boner

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 2 days ago

Holy f*cking sh*t :O

• dexyfex likes this

dr0yed
  • dr0yed

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago

My gosh! Vice city with traffic! I can't believe traffic has finally been cracked
  • dexyfex likes this

Gforce
  • Gforce

Loose Cannon

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 days ago

Looks like I picked a good time to return to doing some GTA modding, this tool is amazing, thank you :)

• dexyfex likes this

Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

God Save the Penis

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 days ago Edited by Mr.Arrow, 2 days ago.

lol I thought the new version will came out next week.

You never cease to amaze me, dexyfex. I will spread this wonderful news to the map modders!  Make map modding great again!

• dexyfex likes this

Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

God Save the Penis

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A day ago Edited by Mr.Arrow, A day ago.

Seems like Rockstar's statement is quite vague. Map modding seems to be restricted ( if the statement is clear, then any custom map may be forbidden depending on Take Two's action)

Not sure whether we can create map from scratch. It looks like mapping is in the grey zone *sigh*

dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted A day ago

Well R* said they want to support original creators, so I guess creating a map from scratch should be fine... As far as I can tell, their primary concerns seem to be the IP issues and online hackers.

• BlackScout and dr0yed like this

dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted A day ago

Here's some more gameplay footage with the traffic mod, it's good for a bit of a laugh:

• Mr.Arrow likes this

P2FX
  • P2FX

I ain't no hipster.

• Members
  • None

Posted A day ago Edited by P2FX, A day ago.

This is awesome. And what's the status of entity extension editing? Can't wait to be able to change color of lights and make boomboxes play music.

• dexyfex likes this

Neos7
  • Neos7

mammamia,pizza,pasta,maccheroni

• Members
  • Italy

Posted A day ago

instancedgrass painting next!

• dexyfex likes this

dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted A day ago

These things will hopefully be added sometime soon! Entity extensions and grass are both stored in .ymap files, which are already being created by CodeWalker, so I really just need to add the editing UI for them (although the editing interface for grass will need to be more complex).

• P2FX likes this

dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted A day ago

Another video, this time showing some slightly more advanced path editing. Also gives some other possibly helpful information about editing paths:

• P2FX, Mr.Arrow, Fun De Panda and 1 other like this

dr0yed
  • dr0yed

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A day ago

I'm as inexperienced as ever with these things but those videos look pretty straightforward for people who want to learn--thank you. I'm currently trying to put traffic on MrVicho13's Liberty City map (though he'll probably have it finished and more polished, I'm just doing this to learn and hopefully do the same for other maps). 

In your first path editing video, @1:48, how did you get that node in Hyrule Castle? I'd like to do the same with Liberty City so that I can keep extending it, etc but the liberty city map doesn't have a single node on it..this is probably the simplest thing ever, I'll do more tinkering with it tonight.

Thanks again for your work

dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 hours ago

Thanks! :)

how did you get that node in Hyrule Castle?

After creating the new .ynd file and setting the AreaID, I used the New Node option from the Ynd menu in the project window. Set the flags etc on the new node, then extend that out to a 2nd node. Then set the flags on the forward link and the back link that were just created. After that, you can continue like in the video :)

Also, a second option for creating the first node(s) is to select an existing node in the world that you'd like to copy, and press Ctrl-C. Then in the project window, select the new .ynd file you want the new node in. Switch back to the world view, and press Ctrl-V. This will create a new node in the new .ynd file, that is linked to the node that was copied. If you extend that newly pasted node now (while it's still connected to the copied node), the flags on the copied node's links will also be copied. After you've created the first segment, you can then go and remove the erroneous link that was created when Ctrl-V was used.

• dr0yed likes this

Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

God Save the Penis

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 hours ago

You have to copy a node from vanilla map.
  • dr0yed likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users