CodeWalker 3D Map Viewer for GTAV

V Released V WIP
167 replies to this topic
dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:11 AM Edited by dexyfex, 13 May 2017 - 08:56 PM.

Hi everyone,
I've been working on a 3D map for PC version of GTAV. It's at:

https://www.gta5-mod...eractive-3d-map

It now allows entities to be placed and moved, also new and modified ymap files can be be saved. This feature is still in experimental stages, but I would love to hear any feedback on it!

99b39e-cw35.png

99b39e-cw33.jpg

Enjoy!

[Edit: Updated screenshots and description]

• Gforce, Jestic, gamerzworld and 33 others like this

MrGTAmodsgerman
  • MrGTAmodsgerman

Inventor

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:10 PM

Like i told you, awesome! Keep please working on it

• dexyfex likes this

ArthurLopes
  • ArthurLopes

OpenIV Is Back YEAH BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

This is Amazing af
Keep The good work
  • dexyfex likes this

Jestic
  • Jestic

Chris

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Netherlands
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Conversion 2014 [ViIV for GTANY Contribution]
    Best Map 2011 [IVSA]
    Modding Milestone [IVSA/Ped Paths]
    Best Map 2013 [ViceCityStories PC Edition][Contribution]

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:34 PM

Awesome.

One thing though: I believe the 2nd vertex color channel is being ignored, typically utilzied with terrain shaders to blend between 4 layers (on top of the blend masks)

• dexyfex likes this

dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:15 PM

Thanks! :)

There is still some work to do on the texture blending, I only have it working for some of the terrain shaders at the moment. Also there are still some issues with colour tinting, eg the golf course should be tinted terrain, and parts of the beach have some different masking, but I haven't figured out the algorithms yet. If you know of any details that might help, would be great to hear it!

I added a tool to disassemble the shaders, but I find it quite time-consuming to read the shader assembly code...

• MrGTAmodsgerman and kalleKompura like this

sgtsev3n
  • sgtsev3n

Player Hater

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:19 PM

take a look at this: https://www.gta5-mod...aps/custom-prop

maybe you can do the same, then we basically have an V version of MED.

• MrGTAmodsgerman and dexyfex like this

Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

God Save the Penis

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:21 AM

Splendid!

Is this open source?
  • dexyfex likes this

BlackScout
  • BlackScout

A Ninja

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:51 AM Edited by BlackScout, 05 March 2017 - 04:51 AM.

Wonderful job! That's the start of something great. Good luck with the tool!

• dexyfex likes this

Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

God Save the Penis

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:44 AM

Neodymium has taught you a lot of things , do you OP?

g2zSYBG.jpg
  • dexyfex likes this

dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

Haha, indeed, Mr.Arrow (I love that movie btw heh)

I'll make it open source when I've stopped making such frequent changes. Also large parts of it need tidying/fixing up. I had to rewrite quite a few of the important bits in Neodymium's toolkit to make the performance acceptable, which led to things becoming messy in places.

• Mr.Arrow likes this

Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

God Save the Penis

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:57 PM

It looks like it doesn't seem to render the Alamo seabed?Props like light poles and traffic lights seems to be missing too.

dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:32 PM

It's possible to render most of the missing parts, by specifying the ymaps to load in the ymaps textbox (see the end of the readme for some more info on that). Really it's only rendering the LODs by default at the moment, because I'm still working on a technique to load all the highest details correctly :)

• BlackScout likes this

Jestic
  • Jestic

Chris

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Netherlands
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Conversion 2014 [ViIV for GTANY Contribution]
    Best Map 2011 [IVSA]
    Best Map 2013 [ViceCityStories PC Edition][Contribution]

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:04 AM Edited by Jestic, 06 March 2017 - 01:05 AM.

Thanks! :)

There is still some work to do on the texture blending, I only have it working for some of the terrain shaders at the moment. Also there are still some issues with colour tinting, eg the golf course should be tinted terrain, and parts of the beach have some different masking, but I haven't figured out the algorithms yet. If you know of any details that might help, would be great to hear it!

I added a tool to disassemble the shaders, but I find it quite time-consuming to read the shader assembly code...

On second thought, I think the 2nd vertex color channel is working fine, it's probably just some decals missing that puts me off.

Speaking of vertex colors, I have a request: Would it be possible to add an option to instead of showing textures, to just show vertex colors? Both for the 1st and 2nd channel, separately? I noticed you can see the vertex colors just before loading the textures. I realize this sounds like a useless feature to you\ most people, but it's useful for me.

As for '_tnt' shaders, I believe it works fairly simply: You feed it with a lookup sampler, typically recognized by the '_pal' suffix and appears to be always 256x4 pixels. In the shader you have a parameter called 'TintPaletteSelector' which contains an 'X' and 'Y' value, which selects the color from said texture sampler and then multiplies(?) it by the diffuse color.

Wouldn't know about the beach masking, i'll look at it one of thse days.

dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:23 AM

Ah yes, a lot of the highest details including decals aren't loading in by default at the moment. They can usually be loaded in manually by specifying the _long and/or _strm ymaps for the area in question though.

That's a pretty good idea about showing the vertex colours, I had thought previously about making it an option. But I think it would work well as you described, with a number to select the vertex colour index. Only problem would be if the vertex data only contains one colour channel for example, but I guess it could just show gray or black. Also I'm planning to add an option to display the normalmaps, and/or other texture channels. Might also add something to select which texture coords to use since a lot of vertex types have more than one set...

As for '_tnt' shaders, I believe it works fairly simply: You feed it with a lookup sampler, typically recognized by the '_pal' suffix and appears to be always 256x4 pixels. In the shader you have a parameter called 'TintPaletteSelector' which contains an 'X' and 'Y' value, which selects the color from said texture sampler and then multiplies(?) it by the diffuse color.

I did mostly get the colour tinting working, and it's pretty much just as you described, but something interesting I found is that there is a value that can be specified in the CEntityDef in the ymaps that specifies the Y coordinate for the palette texture... The containers on the docks are a good example, without using that value from the entity they all came out the wrong colours. But it seems that I'm still missing something with tinting because some of the trees are blue up close, and some other random objects are pink. Perhaps it has something extra to do with the TintPaletteSelector as you say, because at the moment it's just using a vertex colour channel to select the X coord for the palette texture, it seems to work most of the time.

dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:58 AM

Just added v.14, it can now draw vertex normals, colours and texture coords, as well as selecting different texture samplers. Also added shadows and a few other options.

• Jestic, Ash_735 and Mr.Arrow like this

Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

God Save the Penis

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:57 PM Edited by Mr.Arrow, 07 March 2017 - 01:45 PM.

Just added v.14, it can now draw vertex normals, colours and texture coords, as well as selecting different texture samplers. Also added shadows and a few other options.

I like this update, I can see the usefulness for this tool (especially the lazy ones like me)  :breadfish: . 

NjXkKR1.jpg

JoURWSG.jpg

SXT901O.jpg

yisTsdC.jpg
  • Ash_735, The_GTA, kalleKompura and 1 other like this

GTARandom
  • GTARandom

Rockin' this place since 2009

• Feroci
  • Croatia
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Map 2011 [IVSA]

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:50 PM

Here's my Vice City conversion rendered within your tool :)

DFtEWum.png

• Mr.Arrow, Mega, MrGTAmodsgerman and 5 others like this

dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:25 AM

Awesome! :D
Were you able to do it just by specifying the ymaps?

GTARandom
  • GTARandom

Rockin' this place since 2009

• Feroci
  • Croatia
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Map 2011 [IVSA]

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:44 PM

Awesome! :D
Were you able to do it just by specifying the ymaps?

Yep, i did :D

• dexyfex likes this

dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:14 PM

V.15 is now available. New things include:

- Display collision meshes (static YBNs only at this stage)

- Configurable folder exclusion, Mods folder will now be excluded by default (see the .config file).

- Light direction control

- Rendering improvements
Enjoy :)

• _CP_, Mr.Arrow, MrGTAmodsgerman and 1 other like this

_CP_
  • _CP_

Boss

• Feroci
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful Modding 2016 [Runner-up]
    Best Vehicle 2016 [IVPack]
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:17 PM Edited by _CP_, 16 March 2017 - 03:18 PM.

Great! Custom map mods still cannot be loaded? I've tried with my test map, CodeWalker says that models were loaded but they are not visible.

dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:33 PM

I haven't really tested it with any map mods yet, but if they are file replacements then I guess they should be visible... It's possible that things may not be loading in the correct order - I haven't figured out a reliable way to determine which are the "newest" versions of everything yet.

There's also the matter of loading the "level" in the way it's supposed to. At the moment it just loads the ymaps that are specified, so if the mods you are trying are additional ymaps, then you'll have to add those additional ymaps in the textbox.

If you know of any info regarding the "entry point" of the map (for a lack of a better term), like where to start reading files to load the map - I'd really like to know... Because I think this will be necessary for map mods, especially total conversions and additions.

_CP_
  • _CP_

Boss

• Feroci
  • Poland

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:49 PM Edited by _CP_, 16 March 2017 - 03:59 PM.

Looks like my drawable resources aren't correct, because your tool cannot load them.
I'm happy that new version works a bit faster, what are your plans for the next version?

dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:49 PM

Ah, perhaps the error console might show problems loading drawables. It needs more work though because not all errors are logged there currently.

As for next version plans... I really want to get the orphan HD entities to render, because at the moment not all of the details get loaded in by default. Also I want to improve the memory usage (it is getting too high at the moment). And I want to start playing with some basic editing tools (eg move/rotate/scale selected entity), and work on exporting custom map files, maybe Map Builder format - any suggestions on this are welcomed because I know nothing of how GTA5 map editing currently works...

• MrGTAmodsgerman likes this

_CP_
  • _CP_

Boss

• Feroci
  • Poland

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:35 PM

Drawables exported by OpenIV openformats are crashing your tool, I can't enable console that fast, so I cannot post a log.

dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:23 AM

Hmm, well at least it shouldn't crash when it has a problem reading files... I thought I made the error handling for that more robust, but I guess I will need to investigate further.

• _CP_ likes this

Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

God Save the Penis

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:22 AM

If you want to know how map editing works, then Neodymium's tool will be feasible for you.

The current map editor is quite misleading (I'm referring to this one https://www.gta5-mod...ts/map-editor).Its not really map editing but rather an object spawner that allows you to spawn props at any location.

dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:06 AM

Ah yes, I had guessed the current map editor probably worked just by spawning the objects at run-time. But I think it might be a good place to start with map editing formats to load/save the format that it uses (I think it's XML or something?)... I assume it just has the entity placement info similar to what's in ymaps. Eventually I think it might be able to export ytyp and ymap files as well (based off Neodymium's code).

Mr.Arrow
  • Mr.Arrow

God Save the Penis

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:18 PM Edited by Mr.Arrow, 17 March 2017 - 07:30 PM.

Yep, it use XML to save its position.

On the other hand, I would suggest looking for this one https://www.gta5-mod...ools/addonprops. It's pretty close to the native since it generates .ytyp instead of XML.

dexyfex
  • dexyfex

CodeWalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:48 AM Edited by dexyfex, 29 March 2017 - 12:49 AM.

CodeWalker v.16 is now available. New features include:
- World mode - Now loads orphan entities and uses entity lodDist 
- Rendering improvements 
- Cables now rendered 
- Improved support for custom models (eg openformats) 
- Bug fixes and performance improvements 
- Now scans only root game folder - updates/DLC not scanned in this version as it was causing problems. 

This is quite a big update as it brings a new rendering mode that will load in all the ymaps specified in the gta5_cache_y.dat file, which means that all the little details will load in now. Also, start/end destruction ymaps are all shown at once, but I'll work to toggle these in future. Taking this approach, I've had to limit the file scan to just the game's root folder for now, until the app can process the DLC file lists properly.

• _CP_, Tomasak, Mr.Arrow and 5 others like this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users