Liberty City Differences In 1987

6 replies to this topic
Atari-Dude
  • Atari-Dude

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:45 AM

If Liberty City from the 3D universe was shown in 1987, when Carl Johnson moved from Los Santos to Liberty City, what would be different about it? Obviously the ferries would still be thriving as the Callahan Bridge and tunnels had yet to be created at the time. But what else would have changed? I haven't played much of GTA III or Liberty City Stories, but I want to make a fan games based on CJ's stories from the East Coast. That would actually be the name of it - Grand Theft Auto: Episodes of the East Coast. Any suggestions would help.

Craig
  • Craig

Umbilical World

• None
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:30 AM

Not a great deal I would imagine. The first thing that came to mind was traffic - not only would the car makes and models be different, but there'd be less motorists in general perhaps. Some of the major highways and roads may be absent, though the bridges may still exist. Shoreside Vale would be drastically different I would assume - the estates and affluent neighbourhoods look fairly new though I'm not sure what would have been there prior. Perhaps woodland and greenery, owing to what we can see of the environment in 2001?

When it comes to Portland and Stanton, again, not too much. The odd skyscraper here and there. You could take some artistic liberties, displaying the stadium as being renovated or under construction. I don't know much about how old many of the landmarks are supposed to be so I may be wildly inaccurate in my guesses.
  • universetwisters and Atari-Dude like this

Atari-Dude
  • Atari-Dude

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:35 AM

Not a great deal I would imagine. The first thing that came to mind was traffic - not only would the car makes and models be different, but there'd be less motorists in general perhaps. Some of the major highways and roads may be absent, though the bridges may still exist. Shoreside Vale would be drastically different I would assume - the estates and affluent neighbourhoods look fairly new though I'm not sure what would have been there prior. Perhaps woodland and greenery, owing to what we can see of the environment in 2001?

When it comes to Portland and Stanton, again, not too much. The odd skyscraper here and there. You could take some artistic liberties, displaying the stadium as being renovated or under construction. I don't know much about how old many of the landmarks are supposed to be so I may be wildly inaccurate in my guesses.

Okay, thanks. I haven't thought about that :) I also want to add the Upstate to this, so do you have any ideas on what might be up there? I'm thinking docks, a school, a prison, etc.

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:17 PM Edited by reform, 04 March 2017 - 01:20 PM.

The projects where the Jacks & 9's reside seems like it would have been pretty much the same in the 80's IMO. The main change being they may have been yet to split into 2 gangs and still been unified as the Southside Hoods, quite possibly feuding mostly with the Cartel to the north.

The most significant changes would probably be on Staunton, where (for starters) the constuction site would likely have been a residential area with a few small local shops and no high-rises. The same would probably apply for some of the other newer buildings at the northern end of Staunton, while at the southern end of the island, one or more smaller commercial buildings would have stood where the newer high-rises stand in III.

Portland wouldn't have been all that different overall. I'd say that the Car Showroom near 8-Balls wouldn't have been there. I imagine that area would have been related to the dead rail line which passes through the tunnel to the docks, which in the 80's might still have been active and instrumental in moving goods from the nearby ferry terminal to the docks and vice versa.

• Mister Pink likes this

DragonpokeZ
  • DragonpokeZ

Special Vehicle Hoarder

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:29 AM

Or maybe the Hoods and the Cartel were allied. That could be a possibility, as with the Yardies. I think the Cartel would have way more power, given the time period, but would be starting to decline in comparison with the Mafia and street gangs

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:02 AM

Thinking about it, maybe at the end of the 70's/start of the 80's,  Northern Shoreside Vale was still Mafia turf (possibly/probably another family) and the mid-80's might have seen the Cartel clash with the local mafia as they attempt to take over the area.

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:01 PM

The map would be almost like the one in LCS but with the difference that the tunnel and the Callahan Bridge projects didn't even exist.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users