Photo

Thoughts on Vice City

23 replies to this topic
Kuchar1992
  • Kuchar1992

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

I played this when I was younger but never completed it because I could never get past "Demolition Man". I'm writing this post mere minutes after completing the game and for me I feel like the campaign excluding the asset missions seems a bit short. GTA III's campaign seemed to be longer. Don't get me wrong, Vice City is a great game but I feel it was a letdown because of its short campaign.

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

A short campaign is a sign of an expansion. I guess you didn't know that Vice City was originally intended as an expansion pack to GTA III. I didn't find the story that short compared to GTA III. The length seems perfect with a tighter, no-nonsense script. I'd have definitely loved more side missions, but I'm still satisfied with the game. Overall, VC is brilliant as a standalone title, and better than GTA III as well. It still continues to remain a cult favorite for many fans.
Here's an interesting read ( taken from archive.org ) on the The Making Of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, which will further put light on the key reasons.
  • Official General likes this

Crashbandicoot2
  • Crashbandicoot2

Strange and exotic sailor

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:00 PM

I never felt Vice city's story was short. It's still my favourite gta game to this day. I still remember playing gta 3 for the first time and being amazed at being able to be roaming around a(realistic at the time) living breathing city and having the freedom to do pretty much whatever you want and spending hours just exploring and finding hidden packages along the way. When vice city came out it improved on everything gta 3 had and the atmosphere, story, characters etc.. everything was just perfect. San andreas was amazing and i spent hours upon hours playing it but it narrowly looses first place to vice city. Anyways VC was and still is my favourite gta of all time and i hope gta 6 returns to vice city either in modern times with a heavy 80s influence or in the 80s again.

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:04 PM

When you are as old as me im 48 now you tend to appreciate older games more and see them for what they are or where, most people only started getting home computers in the late 90s in 94 for when the PS1 came out people where still using windows 3.11/95, there where games but not like now, closest thing to GTA was probably something like DukeNukem.

I remember buying a PS2 just to play GTA3 and being blown away the first time i was transported to the road with the burning car, getting into the car and hearing HEAD radio for the first time. Just the freedom of GTA3 was unheard of until that point. I also remember buying ViceCity for PS2 ( still have my original copies) and then later realising it was on PC as well, i remember going to PC WORLD and buying a new PC i ended up paying for it monthly. It had XP Home 256mb ram 160gb hd an intel 1.9 ghz p4 and an Nvidia MX series graphics card. Vice City looked stunning on a PC back then, the game has a lot of good memorys for me and its a must have game for any GTA collector.

• universetwisters, anthony and CaptainMental like this

Terrc87
  • Terrc87

Player Hater

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

apart from the small size of the 2 island, GTA Vice City is still the best explaination what is 80s like, the city atmostphere just like define the golden era of the 80s especially the soundtrack.
  • anthony and YocIedecic like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:04 PM

Well going back to when I first played it back in 2003, which I can clearly still remember I'd say no it did not feel short to me. To be honest with you it felt longer than III's story to me personally, probably because Vice City just felt like a much more action-packed game, with more going on outside the main story, and finding the main storey itself a much more engrossing and entertaining experience than I found III's. VC's story for it's time was long enough, it just perfect in length, especially when you consider there were a ton of other fun and interesting things to do outside of it like odd jobs, store robberies, business/empire building and management, side missions etc. The whole package and length for what it was at the time was near-perfect.

Still my favourite GTA to this day.

• DeathAngel666 likes this

DeathAngel666
  • DeathAngel666

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:34 AM

I thought Vice City had the right length getting a great balance without being too short or too long. Just right.

YocIedecic
  • YocIedecic

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

apart from the small size of the 2 island, GTA Vice City is still the best explaination what is 80s like, the city atmostphere just like define the golden era of the 80s especially the soundtrack.

Yeah dude. Absolutely agree :r*:

FriendlyFireOFF
  • FriendlyFireOFF

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:07 PM Edited by FriendlyFireOFF, 11 March 2017 - 02:07 PM.

Finished this again and one thing that surprised me was the leap from GTA 3 when being released only a year apart.

• CaptainMental likes this

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:55 AM

ViceCity was supposed to be an expansion for GTA3 and ive always wondered how they would have made it work along side GTA3, as both games like all GTA's are set in different years.

I wonder what made them decide it was to be a seperate game?

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:22 PM Edited by Official General, 18 March 2017 - 03:27 PM.

ViceCity was supposed to be an expansion for GTA3 and ive always wondered how they would have made it work along side GTA3, as both games like all GTA's are set in different years.

I wonder what made them decide it was to be a seperate game?

I don't know exactly what you're talking about or what you mean here.

Vice City was an expansion of GTA III. Not directly of the III story itself, but an expansion of it's universe and saga. And they were never intended to be part of the same game, I really don't know where you got that information from. VC was always going to be a completely separate game with a completely separate protagonist, set of characters, different time period and theme. The Houser brothers had stated several times in interviews that they had always wanted to make a distinct GTA game in a 1980s South Florida setting, being heavily inspired by Miami Vice - of which they were huge fans, as it had been one of their most favourite crime action shows. They also stated that they held great fascination for the Cocaine Cowboy era of Miami's violent 1980s drug trade and scene, which also served as more inspiration for their idea of creating VC. They never ever stated ​that VC was supposed to be a part of III. Sounds you're just making this up.

You've lost me bro.

Arrow
  • Arrow

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:20 PM

Can't say about you OP, but I always felt that Vice City is more longer than GTA III. The Asset missions take way too much time.

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:09 AM

Sorry i was being a bit stupid, i was considering it an expansion in the same way GTA4 had  TLAD and TBOGT, using same place setting, just forget i said anything

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:25 PM Edited by Official General, 19 March 2017 - 01:25 PM.

Sorry i was being a bit stupid, i was considering it an expansion in the same way GTA4 had  TLAD and TBOGT, using same place setting, just forget i said anything

Don't worry man, we all get things wrong at some point, I'm just correcting you with the facts that's all.

VC is indeed linked to III via certain characters, making both games part of the same GTA universe, so in a sense it can be considered an expansion of some kind, theoretically speaking, but as a direct expansion of III, it is nothing of the sort. EFLC is a direct expansion of IV in contrast.

Crashbandicoot2
  • Crashbandicoot2

Strange and exotic sailor

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:30 PM Edited by Crashbandicoot2, 02 April 2017 - 08:34 PM.

I think what viceboy was trying to say is that vice city was meant to be an expansion to 3 in the same way as Gta London 61 and 69 were to the original Gta unless he thought it more of TLAD and TBOGT as his comment says above in which case just ignore what i said.

Evil-Empire
  • Evil-Empire

Thug

• Members
  • France

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:15 PM

Vice City has a good length of life, a good choice of activites to keep having fun when you finished the scenario and a better dosed difficulty than GTA 3 and San Andreas.

Toreno6901
  • Toreno6901

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:44 AM Edited by Toreno6901, 18 April 2017 - 09:45 AM.

VC was another alternative to
GTA 3 many think that VC beat
San Andreas.

Adam1987
  • Adam1987

Player Hater

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted A week ago

Why does not Tommy swim?

Evil-Empire
  • Evil-Empire

Thug

• Members
  • France

Posted A week ago

Why does not Tommy swim?

He does with a mod.

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

Ive often thought about that myself, why couldnt Claude or Tommy swim, it wasnt until ViceCity stories you could swim and even then you could only swim so long and you would die. In the first 2 games peds couldnt swim either, i used to laugh at peds in Vicecity when i pushed or punched them into water. Maybe it was a limitation of hardware and software at the time and they had to draw the line? but that doesnt explain VCS as that was written for PSP and then transfered to PS2.  maybe we will never know.

kaetsyth
  • kaetsyth

Snow Dog

• Members
  • France

Posted A week ago

You could swim in SA. And you could have unlimited swimming in VCS with the beach patrol missions which were easy as pie.

Evil-Empire
  • Evil-Empire

Thug

• Members
  • France

Posted A week ago Edited by Evil-Empire, A week ago.

Ive often thought about that myself, why couldnt Claude or Tommy swim, it wasnt until ViceCity stories you could swim and even then you could only swim so long and you would die. In the first 2 games peds couldnt swim either, i used to laugh at peds in Vicecity when i pushed or punched them into water. Maybe it was a limitation of hardware and software at the time and they had to draw the line? but that doesnt explain VCS as that was written for PSP and then transfered to PS2.  maybe we will never know.

Swimming is essentially a matter of scripting.

The authors probably didn't consider essential having a character who swims.

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted A week ago Edited by Queen Elizabeth II, A week ago.

Vice City?

Awful city.

Beautiful cars.

Great plot.

Great characters.

Great humor.

Apart from "Awful City" That's what GTA should be. (See also: Grand Theft Auto IV)

Evil-Empire
  • Evil-Empire

Thug

• Members
  • France

Posted A week ago

Vice City?

Awful city.

Beautiful cars.

Great plot.

Great characters.

Great humor.

Apart from "Awful City" That's what GTA should be. (See also: Grand Theft Auto IV)

What do you find awful in the city?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users