103 replies to this topic
Rockstar Vienna
  • Rockstar Vienna

Sir Love-A-Lot

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:16 PM

http://www.telegraph...ron-presidency/

France election results: Macron has reportedly won with more than 60% of the vote.

Good!

• Sunrise Driver and Darth Absentis like this

Baked English Beans
  • Baked English Beans

[Insert cheeky line here]

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:15 PM Edited by Baked English Beans, 07 May 2017 - 07:20 PM.

Phew. So much for "Frexit". So much for the "imminent collapse of the EU" that the UK narrowly escaped. So much for the "Alt-Right domino effect".

• Typhus and Sunrise Driver like this

Donatello
  • Donatello

Anyone for stickball? I've got a stick. You be the ball.

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:20 PM

Now to watch the Kremlin rats turn their attention to Germany.

And when that also fails, let's hope that they turn on Putin himself, finally demonstrating some of the courage of their fellow countrymen in opposing.
  • Sunrise Driver likes this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:59 PM

Holy sh*t, yes

So glad things panned out this way. Britain might be in a bender and the US is an international orange dumpster fire but i'm glad France saw reason and didn't cave in. 

• Android likes this

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:05 PM

Holy sh*t, yes

So glad things panned out this way. Britain might be in a bender and the US is an international orange dumpster fire but i'm glad France saw reason and didn't cave in. 

That's the problem with populist movements, isn't it? They fizzle out quickly. For all the hysteria of how Brexit and Trump's ascendancy were somehow "revolutionary", in practice nothing much has happened. It's all been a damp squib.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

In fact Macron beat the most recent polling by significantly more than the margin of error. 65.5% of the exit polls are to be believed.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:21 PM

I'm just relieved that it's over. Won't be long before Americans realize that Trump is a fraud. And hopefully the good people of the UK will realize what a mistake they've made with Brexit.

Sunrise Driver
  • Sunrise Driver

The Infidel

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:45 PM Edited by Street Mix, 07 May 2017 - 08:46 PM.

I still don't understand why do they need to push this brexit. 52-48 is a very close call and shouldn't be enough for a definite important historical decision like this one.

P.S. Viva La France!

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:39 PM

Reading r/The_Donald after Le Pen lost is hilarious. A gift that keeps on giving. Those morons really believed that they could make a difference with their sh*tposts. And they seem convinced that they're responsible for Trump's victory. They're so hilariously misinformed and ignorant, they had no idea (still don't actually) that France has election silence laws. They thought that it was censorship aimed at helping Macron.

• Tchuck and Typhus like this

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

we live as we dream--alone

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None
  • Not Very Punk 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Bloody Ungrateful 2016

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:12 PM

Nationalism BTFO

• El Diablo, Tchuck and slimeball supreme like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:58 AM

props to France on voting for common sense.

RollsReus1959
  • RollsReus1959

Homie

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:05 AM Edited by RollsReus1959, 08 May 2017 - 03:09 AM.

Le Pen is far from a right wing.

She was basically Bernie Sanders with borders.

I suggest people learn her platform.

Eiffel Tower is closed indefinitely and will open on a later date due to worries of terrorism. Says a lot about what is going on there.

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None
  • Not Very Punk 2016
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Bloody Ungrateful 2016

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:51 AM

Nah, Le Pen is basically as far-right as it gets without openly embracing neo-Nazi ideology.

Well, both are weak-ass populists and opportunists, but I don't think that's what you're getting at.

What's this supposed to mean?

Eiffel Tower is closed indefinitely and will open on a later date due to worries of terrorism. Says a lot about what is going on there.

That capitalism, even in the form of liberal democracy, is inherently authoritarian? That liberal democracy is an invisible dictatorship ruled mercilessly by capital?

• Tchuck, Alexander, slimeball supreme and 1 other like this

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None
  • Not Very Punk 2016
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Bloody Ungrateful 2016

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:09 AM

props to France on voting for common sense.

Props to France for simply not voting

"Turnout was the lowest in more than 40 years. Almost one-third of voters chose neither Macron nor Le Pen, with 12 million abstaining and 4.2 million spoiling ballot papers."

https://www.theguard...y-marine-le-pen

• El Diablo and Tchuck like this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:18 AM Edited by The Yokel, 08 May 2017 - 09:19 AM.

So you think that Le Pen is a leftist? She is practically a Nazi for f*ck sake.

I suggest you learn the difference between right-wing and left-wing politics in Europe.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:40 AM

She's leader of a nationalist-populist, anti-immigration party that supports zero tolerance law and order policies, protectionist neoliberal economic principles and has religious policies that border in Christian identity. Her daddy, who basically founded the party we see today, is a holocaust denier and antisemite and half the party is made up from cryptofascists and football hooligans.

It's about as right wing as you can get.

F*cking lol. Coming from someone so woefully ignorant of the history and ideology of the party she represents, and who has demonstrated an almost unceasing tendency to post utter drivel cribbed from right wing bloggers as if it were his own opinion without even doing the most cursory fact-checking, over and over again, this is mighty ironic.

Physician, heal thyself.
  • Tchuck, Raavi, make total destroy and 1 other like this

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

Everyone's favorite Uncle, but not Grandpa.

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:51 AM Edited by Uncle Sikee Atric, 08 May 2017 - 07:53 AM.

Le Pen makes your Great Orange Groper look like Obama!

She is about as right wing as Europe gets, with her party a key member of Farages' far right group in the EU Parliament.

Go back to reading your jaded Facebook blogs, I look forward to them being blocked for posting fake news....
  • Tchuck and Sunrise Driver like this

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:56 AM Edited by Matrelith, 08 May 2017 - 09:57 AM.

> Trump is the least popular president of the US of all time

> UKIP has become the least popular political party in Britain

> Wilders' party didn't become the biggest party and won't be part of our Dutch government

> Le Pen loses the election

Meanwhile on /r/the_donald people are upset that democracy did its job

Spoiler

Populists eunt domus

• Tchuck, Eutyphro, Sunrise Driver and 3 others like this

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

• United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:20 AM Edited by Uncle Sikee Atric, 08 May 2017 - 11:52 AM.

> Trump is the least popular president of the US of all time
> UKIP has become the least popular political party in Britain
> Wilders' party didn't become the biggest party and won't be part of our Dutch government
> Le Pen loses the election

It is beginning to look like 2016 will be the latest 'blip year'.

Every now and again, politics creates a short period where the extremist views become mainstream, before these views quickly fade again. It was one of these blip years that caused the rise of Nazism in Germany, after the views and complacancy of other parties in Germany created a backlash among the population that the Nazis created over a political campaign that lasted about a decade.

The Groper, UKIP and the rise of other right wing views around the world seems to have created another blip year and now the major political decisions of 2016 are beginning to be realized as mistakes.  If the views were expected to continue, Le Pen and Wilders' would have polled at a much larger share.  They might not have won, but a larger share should have been expected. (Le Pen should have been closer to 45%, not 35%.)

In the UK, Brexit is beginning to look like a mistake, according to the polls (link).  So although Eeyore is expected to win a healthy majority, Brexit isn't likely to be the reason for that majority, plus if she pushes for a deal that looks as terrible as it could well be, the backlash could cause irrepairable damage to her reputation.  Doubly so if Scotland and NI win possible Independence Votes, she could become the PM of just England and Wales in under 5 years, a terrible humiliation she would never recover from.

The mistakes of blip years tend to be overturned in due course.  Hopefully these latest blips will be forgotten before any major damage is done. (Unlike the 1930's)

RollsReus1959
  • RollsReus1959

Homie

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:22 PM Edited by RollsReus1959, 08 May 2017 - 12:20 PM.

So Macron is some guy that was a nobody just a few years ago and catapulted himself to the Presidency.

When he was introduced the EU anthem played. I find it strange that the France anthem wasn't played.

Strange times in France.

Trump just sent special forces to Afghanistan and killed ISIS biggest leader there. Great job.

She is about as right wing as Europe gets, with her party a key member of Farages' far right group in the EU Parliament.

Go back to reading your jaded Facebook blogs, I look forward to them being blocked for posting fake news....

More assumptions as usual.

I don't have Facebook because of fake news.

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

• United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:54 PM Edited by Uncle Sikee Atric, 08 May 2017 - 12:56 PM.

Trump just sent special forces to Afghanistan and killed ISIS biggest leader there. Great job.

Ignoring the fact Afghanistan supplied the bulk of the troops involved, only US troops are worthy of mention.

It was a joint operation....

More assumptions as usual.

I don't have Facebook because of fake news.

In your case it is Alt-Right news, manipulated to stretch the truth.

Ray's Occult Books
  • Ray's Occult Books

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:01 PM Edited by Ray's Occult Books, 08 May 2017 - 01:06 PM.

Politicians answer to the banking system and big business and not to the people, It's about time people realise that. Resurgence of Nationalism is a danger to the European Union and the world as a whole.
Nationalism is the only thing challenging the system that we are facing today that's why they seek to repress it,
branding people racists and neo nazis, because they want pride and independents in their countries and control of its own affairs. Nobody seems to have a problem with Communism or the on going cultural Marxism and political correctness to suit refugees.
A certain Austrian Gentleman successfully removed his country from the international banking system in the 1930s.
That was the real reason behind World War 2.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

Politicians answer to the banking system and big business and not to the people, It's about time people realise that.

Let's gloss over the fact that most right-wing populist political figures are closely associated with the financial world and big business and therefore are, if anything, a closer representation of the ideals of "banking and big business" than other politicians. Trump was a billionaire property developer who inherited an $800m empire from his father. Farage was a commodities trader and son of an investment banker.

The darlings of the nationalist right are often the embodiment of the institutions they claim subvert the political order for their benefit.

Resurgence of Nationalism is a danger to...the world as a whole.

You've got that right.

branding people racists and neo nazis

Normally because they are . I mean, you're acting all indigent about this then, little more than a few lines down, go into fully fledged Nazi apologism and historical revisionism so it's pretty laughable you seem to be offended by being labelled a fascist.

A certain Austrian Gentleman successfully removed his country from the international banking system in the 1930s.That was the real reason behind World War 2.

This is, quite simply, drivel.
  • Tchuck and Uncle Sikee Atric like this

Ray's Occult Books
  • Ray's Occult Books

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:58 PM

I never said I liked or supported Donald Trump or Nigel Farage, both are clearly puppets as far as I'm concerned.
Why is Nationalism so bad yet Communism isn't answer my question? You are deluded if you think politicians answer to the people who votes them in.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:08 PM

I never said I liked or supported Donald Trump or Nigel Farage, both are clearly puppets as far as I'm concerned.
Why is Nationalism so bad yet Communism isn't answer my question? You are deluded if you think politicians answer to the people who votes them in.

Where is sivis, or anyone that points out the glaring flaws and issues caused by nationalism, saying that communism is the answer and/or is perfect?

RollsReus1959
  • RollsReus1959

Homie

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:21 PM

You're labeled as a Trump supporter or Farage supporter if you disagree with the narrative.

Just a lot if assumptions being made towards thise that disagree with 'popular' opinion.

Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

• United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:52 PM Edited by Uncle Sikee Atric, 08 May 2017 - 03:52 PM.

You're labeled as a Trump supporter or Farage supporter if you disagree with the narrative.

We all have political labels for each other, Left, Right, Center, or in the case of Reus, Incompetent.

The discussion just flows and we all either agree or disagree with each other. I wouldn't stop a person on the far right supplying a comment as I have no right to do that, I don't have to agree with it either. It's just when that comment is discussed and countered, the supplier has a tendency to get a little salty with the feedback, usually, very salty!

Just a lot if assumptions being made towards thise that disagree with 'popular' opinion.

I'm confused by this comment, it almost looks like it is a failed run through Google Translate.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

I never said I liked or supported Donald Trump or Nigel Farage

I never said, nor suggested, you did. They were simply used as examples of nationalist right wingers. You should probably learn to actually respond to things people say rather than imaginary interpretations of what you'd like to think they mean.

Why is Nationalism so bad yet Communism isn't

You're not really in any position to be demanding I answer questions of yours given you ignored almost my entire post. The reason this comment got ignored is because it's a complete non sequitur. I've not defended Communism nor suggested that it "isn't bad"; ideology isn't a binary choice between far left and far right. You're almost as bad at debating as you are at reading.
  • Tchuck and The Yokel like this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:49 PM

Man, direct democracy is a bitch: https://i.redditmedi...9e3022597c634e2

Rockstar Vienna
  • Rockstar Vienna

Sir Love-A-Lot

• Members