Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

WB has a talent for bastardizing good games with terrible marketing

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:09 AM

Yeahhh, several states won't have to donate anything, and the entire world bar the US won't donate anything. So most of the profits won't go to the family, but to WB's pockets.

At this point, it would have been better to have made the DLC free, and then the company would donate some money to help the family. As it is, even if unintentionally, it simply looks extremely greedy.

Man WB can go eat a bag of dicks.

• Richard Power Colt likes this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:44 AM

If they really wanted to honor him, they would sell it and donate the profits to his family. Are they? Go ahead, check it out, read the article. Oh, I can't wait, I'll just tell you. Yes they are. They are donating the profits to his family.

Stop trying to be outraged by everything.

Actually, they are donating SOME of the profits to the family. Not ALL of the profits. Which means WB is keeping some profits. Just look at the dislikes and some of the comments, other people are upset with this BS as well. This is taken from the description of the announcement video:

"WB Games will donate to the Forgey family $3.50 from every purchase of the Forthog Orcslayer made from any 1 of the 50 United States or D.C. (but, excluding purchases made from AL, HI, IL, MA, MS and SC) through December 31, 2019. Void where prohibited by law. Your purchase is not tax deductible."

https://www.youtube....h?v=-15muasKW58

Profit is the money left over after any overhead costs are paid. My guess is that they predict $1.50 per purchase is enough to cover any overhead on the production and distribution. So maybe it is the profits, maybe it isn't. But I bet it's closer than you think.

fashion
  • fashion

f*ck you microtransactions

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:07 AM

http://www.thewolfha...hog-orc-slayer/

Now they're claiming they won't profit on the dlc at all. I don't know what to believe anymore.
I don't think I'll buy the dlc, if I'm gonna buy the game at all. I don't like the smell of this whole thing.

I can't give it an october purchase and will probably wait until next year before buying. If the microtransactions are pay2win and the grind without them is a chore then no thanks.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:58 AM

So, if you'd still like to purchase this game, up until the 25th you can grab it for 40% off at GMG (activated on steam)

Listing is here, use coupon 35SOW

As for me, I'll be waiting for a GOTY version or a bigger Steam sale next year.

• El Diablo likes this

OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick
  • OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick

Playa

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:49 PM

Looks like the backlash for that DLC dedicated to the dev that passed away worked. The DLC is now free to everyone and the studio willl make a donation to the family instead. More details in the description box.

• El Diablo and Tchuck like this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:15 AM

Like, why not do this in the first place? If they're doing it now, it means they could have done before.

But no, greedy f*ckers gotta try and scam everyone out of their money as much as they can. Frankly ridiculous.

There's an interview with the creative director about the whole microtransaction stuff. Of course, nothing gets answered. But some concerns do get raised.

They said all testing was done with the microtransactions turned off. So... Why have them? And also, they haven't balanced at all their impact on gameplay? I know he was trying to be reassuring, but this just shows how little care they have for the players if even the microtransaction implementation is half assed.

And then say that "microtransactions are a player's choice!" bullsh*t. It's not, when it's shoved down our throats. If I never see any mention of it during my playthrough when this is on the discount bin, then I'll believe him. But I know it will be advertised everywhere in game.

And the dude can't even stand behind his own practices. When asked if he'd use these loot boxes, he said he'd rather just get the resources naturally through playthrough. f*ck you. Stand up for what you're doing. I'd respect him if he had gone ahead and stood by it and said yeah, they're great, I'll definitely get a couple. But no.

It just shows how this was a retarded decision, with very little thought put into it, and likely imposed by the greedy f*ckers at WB.

Oh well, what a game it could have been.

• El Diablo, Cosmic Gypsy and fashion like this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:16 PM

people are seriously overreacting to a bunch of loot crates

• darthYENIK likes this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:04 AM

If you're happy with microtransactions on your $60 game, then brother that is on you. Don't complain later on when games get more nickel and dimed because people will put up with it.

• Cosmic Gypsy likes this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:18 PM

It's very obvious that they're completely unnecessary and the game was not balanced with them in mind [a good thing] and a publisher move. Won't stop me from enjoying what will very likely be an amazing game.

fashion
  • fashion

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:30 PM Edited by fashion, 29 September 2017 - 03:32 PM.

It still sucks if they're gonna throw loot crate ads at you every time you pause the game, go to upgrade screens and whatnot. It doesn't sound like a big deal but I can imagine it getting on my nerves.

I doubt the microtransactions will be hidden lol. They simply don't belong in a SP game.

I've decided not to buy the game this year. I will probably get it for half the price, just like I did with the first game. It looks great indeed but I have my eyes on other games too for this year.

If NFS Payback is going to suck, maybe I'll get this instead.
  • Tchuck likes this

Stormingz
  • Stormingz

Menace to society.

• Members

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:00 AM Edited by Stormingz, 15 October 2017 - 03:04 AM.

Didnt realise there was a topic for this, its been lost in the pages lol.

Anyway, I picked this game up two nights ago, and I must say its a huge improvement from the first one, Im still only on the first fortress (after Minas Ithil) because I only get two maybe three hours a night gaming, but Im loving the game.

The nemesis system is still great, with the addition of building your own army this time and the overload ranks and fortress you have to conquer, I love all the different personalities the orcs have, and some of their one liners and speeches are brilliant, including your allies, Bruz springs to mind.

The combat is more or less the same, a few new skills and powers you can unlock, Id say about 60-70% of the skills have been brought back, and in some ways revamped from the old game, but thats not bad imo, they're still great fun to use, and you can now unlock, what Im going to call traits for these skills and powers, which makes it that much sweeter.

The maps a bit cluttered I must admit, and theres a LOT to do, some of it a bit pointless (Gondorian artifact) others, once all collected in the region, lead to legendary loot, which is much better, I dont mind collecting when theres a payoff at the end.

Now, these loot crates, personally it hasnt affected me, but Ive seen my younger brother play, who has a lot more spare time on his hands and has conquered around three fortressses now, I can see how it might become a problem, its quite expensive to build high defenses for your fortresses, and the fact you can get raided by other players? Might be an issue too.

fashion
  • fashion

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:59 AM Edited by fashion, 15 October 2017 - 09:06 AM.

Regarding lootboxes, just play offline. Problem solved. Nobody's going to attack you so you can build your army in peace. I'm not far enough in the game to judge but all you get are orcs or gear. Basically, these are tickets to shorten your playtime. I don't understand why anyone would want to shorten the game with real money. Simply play the game. The system still annoys me and was my major number one concern of the game but if I can earn my way up without them, fine by me.

Loving it so far aswell. The combat feels very polished and the orcs have better physics than the last game. Some of my killing blows send them flying now. It seems like the perfect sequel. Everything is bigger and better, especially the nemesis system has been overhauled. I still have to find out what building an army means but it's the feature I'm looking the most foward to. Can't wait. I'm taking it very slowly though. In no rush at all to finish this game. I barely even progressed in the main story.

I already met a crazy orc that pretended to be a pig. Oink oink.

Edit: regarding the flying thing, it only happened once so far.
  • Stormingz likes this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

Regarding lootboxes, just play offline. Problem solved. Nobody's going to attack you so you can build your army in peace. I'm not far enough in the game to judge but all you get are orcs or gear. Basically, these are tickets to shorten your playtime. I don't understand why anyone would want to shorten the game with real money. Simply play the game. The system still annoys me and was my major number one concern of the game but if I can earn my way up without them, fine by me.

It matters because the whole endgame was built with them in mind. You will need to go through many, many, many Orcs if you wish to beat the game and get the true ending without grinding insanely for it. It matters because these sorts of inclusions and cutting up of game and content begin like that; oh, you can just play offline, and it's ok! You give them an inch, they'll take a mile.

Mass acceptance of this sort of garbage in a 60 bucks game will only lead to more good content being cut from games, and more retarded garbage systems built for getting as much money as publishers can from you.

• ClaudeSpeed1911, Stormingz and Thugazi like this

Stormingz
  • Stormingz

Menace to society.

• Members

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:45 PM Edited by Stormingz, 15 October 2017 - 04:10 PM.

It matters because the whole endgame was built with them in mind. You will need to go through many, many, many Orcs if you wish to beat the game and get the true ending without grinding insanely for it. It matters because these sorts of inclusions and cutting up of game and content begin like that; oh, you can just play offline, and it's ok! You give them an inch, they'll take a mile.

Mass acceptance of this sort of garbage in a 60 bucks game will only lead to more good content being cut from games, and more retarded garbage systems built for getting as much money as publishers can from you.
Ive read about the endgame being ridiculous, youll literally need an all legendary orc army to even considering completing the true ending, which does worry me, and youre right in the fact that this is unacceptable for a £60 game, and this best not happen again. I get the feeling it will.

Negativity aside, this game really is great. Agree with fashion, massive upgrade from the first.

P.S sorry for lack of grammar, using a phone that doesnt like to cooperate.
  • Tchuck likes this

fashion
  • fashion

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:02 PM Edited by fashion, 15 October 2017 - 02:47 PM.

I entirely understand this viewpoint and I think that the lootbox system is a massive bitch move I'd never like to see again. I've been very critical about it before the game released.

However, lootboxes aside, I do like the sound of a long endgame. I spend a lot of hours on the last game building up my army post game. Basically, you just need to play (a long time) with the nemesis system. It's a massive improvement from the last game. Sure, even without the "true ending" crap I could've maxed up my army in freeroam but this way there's also an end goal.

It's a game I want to occassionally jump back into to kill and enslave some orcs. With that in mind, I don't need lootboxes and can enjoy a long living postgame.

I did inform myself before buying, a lot in fact. I decided that for me, personally, the game feels great and I don't mind playing it longer than the usual 15-20 hour action game.

Normally speaking it would be a grind but the nemesis system is truly unique, all these random custom scenarios that can happen - it won't get repetitive.

If I ever would want to see the true ending, I can just look it up online and continue building up my legendary army.

That does not mean I support the whole tactic though. It sucks. It's a shame because the game feels really good.

If I ever grow tired of it before reaching the true ending, so be it - I'm just very happy to be able to slaughter me some orcs again.

Lol I must sound like the hypocrite of the year now.
  • Tchuck likes this

Stormingz
  • Stormingz

Menace to society.

• Members

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:29 PM Edited by Stormingz, 16 October 2017 - 12:51 AM.

To be fair, in a sense that it increases longevity of the game, the endgame they have in place isnt bad.

Just conquered the first fortress, and I must say, the initial assuault gave me goosebumps, which I havent felt from a game in a long time, so kudos for that. Id also like to add the soundtrack to this game is brilliant too, playing with headphones in while attacking the fortress was really a great moment.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:25 AM

To be fair, in a sense that it increases longevity of the game, the endgame they have in place isnt bad.

Just conquered the first fortress, and I must say, the initial assuault gave me goosebumps, which I havent felt from a game in a long time, so kudos for that. Id also like to add the soundtrack to this game is brilliant too, playing with headphones in while attacking the fortress was really a great moment.

same here, first fortress taken, so far i haven't seen any reason to buy loot boxes, been buying the silver ones with ingame coins and im with 3 legendary orcs.

people complain about not having anything to do after the game ends and now that they do they complain about it aswell

fashion
  • fashion

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:05 AM Edited by fashion, 16 October 2017 - 10:17 AM.

Are you guys playing on normal or nemesis? I informed myself a bit and on Normal you get overpowered pretty fast when you have some good gear. I started on Nemesis and it isn't THAT hard, it's a fair challenge. I remember in the first game, I used to slaughter orcs with ease later on even without knowing their weaknesses.

In SoW on nemesis, knowing weaknesses, having good gear and carefully planning your attack is more critical. You can't just walk in and expect to come out victorious in every battle. It gets chaotic when unexpected orc captains join the party.

I had two playsessions so far, maybe around 5 hours in and I barely touched the story. Yes, I'm having that much fun with the nemesis system. Dying is part of the fun here. You kinda form rivals with the orcs who kill you and want to make sure you take those bastards down, carefully planning your strike.

Dying never felt so rewarding. I understand when players have doubts because of the lootboxes, just like myself before release. I purchased the game and could've traded it back after 24 hours, but no way. Loving it.

My main issue, besides the lootbox system, are the cutscenes. In a game where collecting armor and gear pieces is a major part of the game, being stuck to seeing your standard gear is unacceptable. Why? It's f*cking bullsh*t. Your standard gear is too weak to wear throughout the whole game. This is just too lazy. There's no excuse.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:19 AM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 16 October 2017 - 10:21 AM.

i always do my first playthrough in normal, but i dont know if nemesis will make it so mutch harder, after you unlock the multiple executions and the perfect parry = execution you can get rid of a crowd very fast no matter the difficulty.

i just want to unlock the power to summon the drake now :)

need to inform myself about the online attacks, read some message ingame you can atack other players fortresses but i skip it

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:15 AM

That's what pisses me off the most, though. The way they went about it. I'm sure I would love this game, just like I loved the first one. And WB knows that, that's why they went full retarded with the loot boxes. They know people will love it and want to play it regardless, so they'll do all they can to squeeze out more money cause they are greedy f*ckers.

I'll still play this, but only when it's on a massive sale on Steam. I'm never paying full price for an incomplete game.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:26 AM

That's what pisses me off the most, though. The way they went about it. I'm sure I would love this game, just like I loved the first one. And WB knows that, that's why they went full retarded with the loot boxes. They know people will love it and want to play it regardless, so they'll do all they can to squeeze out more money cause they are greedy f*ckers.

I'll still play this, but only when it's on a massive sale on Steam. I'm never paying full price for an incomplete game.

the way they went about it its not has bad as battlefront 2 that prevents you from leveleing up, its not forced upon you, at least not until you finish the game and only if you want to have the alternate ending.

why do you say the game is incomplete? been playing for around 20 hours and it seems complete to me... at least more then shadows of mordor

• Tchuck likes this

Stormingz
  • Stormingz

Menace to society.

• Members

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:36 AM

the way they went about it its not has bad as battlefront 2 that prevents you from leveleing up, its not forced upon you, at least not until you finish the game and only if you want to have the alternate ending.

why do you say the game is incomplete? been playing for around 20 hours and it seems complete to me... at least more then shadows of mordor

I think he means the game has a bit of a half-assed ending, or alternative ending, which is fair enough. I havent completed the story yet, so I dont know personally.
  • Tchuck likes this

fashion
  • fashion

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:50 AM

It's fine if you can wait until it's discounted. I wanted to wait as well but here I am. I've waited on sale for many, many games with greedy developer tactics or skipped them entirely. There's a good reason to not want to support the developer.

The game works fine without lootboxes but it's still annoying they want to squeeze cash out of you. I've heard good things about the game too and decided for myself that I do enjoy the sound of the endgame so I took the bait earlier than I first intended.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:56 AM

Well i dont really know the story how much hours it take to finish, i always get lost doing other things in this game.

Stormingz
  • Stormingz

Menace to society.

• Members

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

Oh, Im also playing on normal difficulty, I find the game challenging enough, and like I said I dont get much gaming time these days, so Id rather enjoy the game than die over and over, although dying isnt exactly a bad thing with this nemesis system, you build bonds etc.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:54 PM

OMG i overlooked the online part at all and it seems that this will extend the gamplay for many many hours

• Stormingz likes this

fashion
  • fashion

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:01 PM

It's not dark souls mode, neither a bullet sponge/sword sponge mode. All I noticed is that hits can take quite a bit of health and that orc captains are quite high leveled in the beggining area, but I don't know if it's also on normal mode like this. There are many lvl15 captains early in the game.
It really isn't as hardcore as it sounds. It's very fun and I manage fine with a few deaths here and there but I haven't been frustrated even once so far.

So I finished collecting everything in the first area, did those bright lord challenges. I still have a nemesis in this area, one that escaped death three times. Half his face and body is covered in metal to fix his mortal wounds. He also learned how to ride a dire cadagor now.
Think I'll try to recruit him later on. Guy really hates my guts.

I just entered the second area. Seems a bit more open than the first. Not that I didn't like the first city, but looking at the world map it looked like each area is a small city/fortress. Glad this isn't the case.

Stormingz
  • Stormingz

Menace to society.

• Members

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:16 PM

It also seems like once you capture your first fortress, the whole map pretty much opens up, correct me if Im wrong, does that mean I can basically tackle the hardest fortress whenever I like? Also, not quite sure where the story continues now, WB could of made it a bit clearer which are story missions and which arent.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:21 PM

orc captains are quite high leveled in the beggining area, but I don't know if it's also on normal mode like this. There are many lvl15 captains early in the game.

the captain levels seem to be the same on normal mode and upon wathching some movies of the online part, they seem to go higher then shadows of mordor, level 60 if im not mistaken

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users