No Nu-Metal in GTA III

20 replies to this topic
GrudgefromSanAndreas
  • GrudgefromSanAndreas

Straight outta Pluton's Ass

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:04 AM

Why is there no nu-metal radio station in GTA 3? It's been bugging me ever since the first time i played it and i always thought it'd fit pretty well to the atmosphere, especially songs like My Way and Rollin by Limp Bizkit or even One Step Closer by Linkin Park and others. Besides, nu-metal was popular around 2001 and maybe it was the golden era around that time so what was the problem?

unopieceo
  • unopieceo

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:19 AM Edited by unopieceo, 28 February 2017 - 10:29 AM.

III used underground or made their own songs just to save on licencing fees so its no surprise that Limp Bizkit of RHCP or Metallica didn't feature. I really feel like most of the tracks were chosen out of personal preference by a few guys on the team but I don't have any evidence of it.

Its really nothing like San Andreas where they said "alright what were some hit songs in 1992 and what can we afford"  III was a real small operation in comparison, even though they had already released a couple of hits in the series they were still small time.

• universetwisters likes this

GrudgefromSanAndreas
  • GrudgefromSanAndreas

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

The same thing happened in GTA2, but in SA for instance you have RATM and Depeche Mode. I guess they could afford that. So it's kinda confusing. But i realise they probably chose less famous songs to become more famous

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:32 PM

I mentioned this in another topic because I also wonder why the game which was released during the dawn of the nu metal doesn't feature such radio station. It was probably licensing issues, who knows what their budget was at the time...
  • GrudgefromSanAndreas likes this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:51 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 28 February 2017 - 08:51 PM.

I can't imagine what GTA 3 would be like with music like that. I don't think it fits the atmosphere of the game.
  • B Dawg, vnus_dmlo and Jeansowaty like this

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:52 PM

Probably licensing issues; MSX FM, Rise FM and Game Radio all use tracks from their real life counterparts - MSX is Moving Shadow and the mix in game is a shortened version of Timecode's Moving Shadow 01.1 mix with Codebreaker MC'ing over it, Rise FM is all tracks from the short lived Chicago label Generation Recordings and Game Radio is mostly from Game Recordings plus the host Stretch Armstrong is actually Stretch from WCKR where he used to host the Stretch Armstrong & Bobbito Radio Show which showcased a sh*tload of hip hop during the 90s/early 2000s. If I remember correctly everything on K-Jah is from the same dub artist (Scientist) and (don't quote me on this) but Double Clef FM is all public domain/covers/free music. With the majority of the radio being from relatively unknown/underground or even free labels it's no shock they don't have Limp Bizkit or any other nu-metal from that generation.

Praise the lord it isn't because I could not f*cking handle Fred Durst in GTA3.

• universetwisters, vnus_dmlo and Ivan1997GTA like this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:26 PM

Well, all old classical songs are public domain but the recordings (especially fairly modern ones) are not.

unopieceo
  • unopieceo

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:21 AM Edited by unopieceo, 01 March 2017 - 10:32 AM.

Yeah that's why O mio babbino caro was removed from double clef it was too recent a recording. So to elaborate on what blaze said

Head Radio    -    Songs made in house
Lips 106         -    Songs made in house / Stuff they had from past GTAs
MSX 101.1         -    Moving Shadow miX (1)01.1 (there's some connection here to R* or reason to promote that label, midnight club 1 and GTA2 also used their tracks)
Rise               -     Fairly obscure trance, only 4 different artists all from Chicago label Generation Recordings
Double Clef    -    Classic music with expired licenses
Game             -    Not sure what the go is here, royce da 5'9'' was semi famous. Maybe these tracks were chosen specifically by Stretch Armstrong and Lord Sear? (btw watch stretch and bobbito on netflix good doco)
K-Jah             -     All from one record by one artist (Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires)
Flashback      -     All from the Scarface OST

So there you go pretty simple when you break it all down, III was definitely done on a budget, just look how small and low key the office they made it in looks in those production shots.

EDIT: Found this about Moving Shadow. Question answered.

Gamespot May 9 2000
Rockstar Games, a division of Take-Two Interactive, announced Wednesday that it has entered into a licensing agreement with Moving Shadow Records to include music tracks and an eight-minute promotional film in Grand Theft Auto 2, developed by DMA Design. Conversely, Moving Shadow Records will publish a compilation CD featuring music tracks from GTA2, as well as a digital version of the promotional film. "Moving Shadow Records is the premier drum and bass label in the world, and we feel that it is a huge opportunity to cooperate with a label that is so on the cutting edge," said Sam Houser, president of Rockstar Games. "Rockstar Games takes the audio content for its games extremely seriously, and having such accomplished producers as Rob and Flytronix working closely with the award-winning audio team at DMA guarantees both quality and credibility." GTA2 is due out for the PC and Sony PlayStation on October 22.

• universetwisters and Ivan1997GTA like this

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:57 AM Edited by stef_92, 03 March 2017 - 04:27 PM.

Even that small - the soundtrack was legendary. Especially for such an old game. I just wish that some day all tracks from Generation Recordings would be released digitally. I've had enough of these vinyl rips
  • ΣΓ likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Come ride with me!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:31 PM

Why would you want Nu-Metal in a GTA game? Wouldn't having real metal be better instead? :p

• ΣΓ, GTA-Biker, Achlys and 1 other like this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:10 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 02 March 2017 - 05:10 PM.

Even that small - the soundtrack was legendary. Especially for such an old game. I just wish that some day all tracks from Generation Recordings would be released digitally. I've had enough of these vynil rips

Speaking of which, I recently had a crack at "mixing" the songs on Rise FM: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BzXfzGgxI3o8S0NBNzVlOENxYzg 

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:50 AM

I tried to mix them before but it was a s***ty mix. Most of these vynil rips have tempo variations which is not good.. :(
  • ΣΓ likes this

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

The Golden Void speaks to me...

• Facade Corporation
  • Poland

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

Nu metal was indeed popular back in the late 1990s-early 2000s, but I think there's no such music because either Rockstar thought nu metal wouldn't fit GTA III or they couldn't create some nu metal stuff on their own.
  • GrudgefromSanAndreas likes this

Arrow
  • Arrow

Void Walker

• Members
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:51 AM

Some might disagree but I believe that the songs in GTA III really fit the setting. It was a small game unlike San Andreas which had a larger budget ofcourse. If Rockstar wanted to cut down on that, it's totally understandable.

GrudgefromSanAndreas
  • GrudgefromSanAndreas

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:32 AM

Even the music of the beta trailer for III reminded me of Linkin Park and Dr. House: https://www.youtube....h?v=bkMcUa9S0qs

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:36 PM

While nu metal isn't among my favorite subgenres of metal,I think it would fit well in the late 90s and early 2000s setting (from what I know,it was very popular at the time),but it doesn't appear in neither GTA 3 nor LCS.I know R* mostly used underground music instead of currently popular songs in GTA 3,but I don't know why they didn't include it in LCS,maybe it still wasn't very popular by 1998 or something.

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:28 PM

GTA 3 was really Rockstar's breakout game that brought them into superstar status, so the budget during the making of the game was much smaller than that of GTA VC or any of the GTA games thereafter, so if you want to see Fred Durst in video game form, you're going to have to settle for WWF SmackDown: Just Bring It.

SpooferJahk
  • SpooferJahk

*insert title here*

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best WIP Mod 2014 [Grand Theft Auto 3D]

Posted 4 weeks ago

Hate to be that guy but Limp Bizkit in GTA III?

No, just no.

• ΣΓ and GrudgefromSanAndreas like this

GrudgefromSanAndreas
  • GrudgefromSanAndreas

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by GrudgefromSanAndreas, 4 weeks ago.

Hate to be that guy but Limp Bizkit in GTA III?

No, just no.

Well, i was just thinking bout the songs "My Way" and maybe "Rollin" to fit but you're probably right

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by stef_92, 4 weeks ago.

Maybe that's because we're used to the way the game is. Probably if there was a radio station that plays Linking Park and Limp Bizkit in the original game we would have got used to it too and feel weird without it, who knows

Toreno6901
  • Toreno6901

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 5 days ago

I can't imagine what GTA 3 would be like with music like that. I don't think it fits the atmosphere of the game.

Radio station with nu- metal playlist support that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users