Ordering a graphics card from US to UK

13 replies to this topic
Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:33 PM

Is this possible - and if so, viable or not advisable?

I've never really given it much thought - unsure if there would be some power supply compatibility problems or whether US online companies would ship to other markets.

Background for the question - I've been thinking about splashing out on a GTX 1080, but they are obviously not cheap. However, prices seem much better in the US than in the UK, even if you factor in the £'s crap exchange rate since 52% of my country men voted for Brexit.

For example, looking around some US sites you can find plenty for $600, which is ~£480 right now. A similar time spent searching UK sites struggles to find anything less than £600 ($750), so there's quite a saving to be had in theory.

My main concern would be if it arrives faulty/damaged it may be more difficult to deal with.

In any event, I will probably wait until the GTX 1080 Ti launches in the hope that pushes the price down a bit.

Any thoughts/advice welcomed.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Technology / Programming] 2016
    Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:57 PM

It's not unheard of, and even if nobody ships directly, you can certainly use a shipping proxy. They are companies all around the world that you can specify as recipient and they'll ship internationally. I'm sure there are some that specialize in electronics, given the price difference. So they'd probably know how to ship with low risk of damage in transit.

I don't know how that works in regards to UK law. There is probably an allowance for amount of goods you can ship in without an import tax, but you should verify that.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:10 PM

You'd be liable for 20% import tax. That plus shipping means you won't save anything at all really. Your warranty would also not be the same, European warranties are longer and you probably would have to RMA to the US as well.

When the exchange rate is as crap as it currently is it really isn't worth doing.
  • Azazel likes this

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

Expensive shipping, limited or no warranty and also tax for importing to the UK and maybe tax for buying in the US. It's almost never worth importing from the US to the EU.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:19 PM

i never ordered anything that expensive from the US, some small parts for my bike, they always came in express Ups and never gotten hold at customs. but yeah probably not worth the risk in a product that expensive.

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:32 PM

You're better off waiting a couple of weeks and buying it within the UK.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:19 PM

You'd be liable for 20% import tax. That plus shipping means you won't save anything at all really. Your warranty would also not be the same, European warranties are longer and you probably would have to RMA to the US as well.

When the exchange rate is as crap as it currently is it really isn't worth doing.

Expensive shipping, limited or no warranty and also tax for importing to the UK and maybe tax for buying in the US. It's almost never worth importing from the US to the EU.

Yeah I expect so. Annoying how much more expensive they are this side of the pond, if there were not catches I guess everyone would be doing it until it forced price parity

You're better off waiting a couple of weeks and buying it within the UK.

That's what I'll probably do - actually not in too much of a rush so may wait a bit longer and hope the prices drop a bit more.

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:43 PM

I've considered buying stuff in the US before but it's not practical. The cheapest way I ever found was buying stuff when I was over there on holiday since I was planning on being there anyways. That and now I have relatives there who've mailed me some stuff over before which is handy!

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:14 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 20 March 2017 - 05:15 PM.

I've considered buying stuff in the US before but it's not practical. The cheapest way I ever found was buying stuff when I was over there on holiday since I was planning on being there anyways. That and now I have relatives there who've mailed me some stuff over before which is handy!

idk if this can happen, but cant they just send it as a gift so you dont need to pay import taxes? or taxes need to be paid no matter what?

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:13 AM

idk if this can happen, but cant they just send it as a gift so you dont need to pay import taxes? or taxes need to be paid no matter what?
This is true! However I would assume if it was a regular thing then HMRC might flag it I guess!

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:07 AM

If it's sent as a gift, you often won't get the same level of insurance cover, though that does depend on the service you use.
  • Natasha likes this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:20 PM

Just FYI it doesn't matter if something is marked as gift. If the package is opened (which it can be no matter if marked as gift or not) and evaluated as something above the import tax threshold, you need to pay up.

Also people and certainly companies in the US generally refuse to send actual goods as gifts since it's against the law and all that. A business could get in trouble for that since the accounting records wouldn't match.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:52 AM

I wasnt talking in general,i can understand that no company would do that. just his case, since he got relatives there that can buy and ship the product. How would costums tax a 2nd hand product?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

Same, flat 20% plus handling fee. Based on "fair market value" of the goods.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users