Quantcast

» «
Photo

Are You Tired of Re-Used Cities?

135 replies to this topic
TheOneLibertonian
  • TheOneLibertonian

Only those who die get closure, the living do not.

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:33 AM

but it would lose the charm of the other cities shown previously. 

I kinda misinterpreted that. What do I mean is that these cities have their own unique quirkiness, and charm. But not the impact, or appeal to the masses. Honestly, I'd still love a GTA set in other cities rather than the ones we've been in. I'd love a GTA in Boston, with involvment from the Irish Mob in the MA area. Also the homage to films will be there too. Boston is no stranger to mass media. Like most US cities are. I am not completely against the idea of re-using cities, in fact I do support it. Exploring new territory for Rockstar can prove that they can characterize, and do these never visited cities justice. A non US GTA might be too far-fetched, and would stray away from the themes, and messages that most GTA games have. But I loved exploring new worlds, new places that I have not seen in various forms of media that much. One of the reasons why I liked Sleeping Dogs' Hong Kong is that it has that distinct Asian, and Oriental feel to it. The Night Market was a highlight in that game, it was an environment I never usually see in video games, but it felt alive, full of people, it was amazing just walking at Night with all the neon lighting that Hong Kong has to offer. It felt vastly different to the US cities we see in GTA. Rockstar knows how to make a city justice, even Max Payne 3's Sau Paulo is full of character considering it is a 20+ hour shooter, and Rockstar did an amazing job with the world building.

But like I have said before, IV's Liberty City, and V's Los Santos might be rehashed from the 3D era, but in some way it did not really bother me. IV's LC is different in character to III's LC. Both renditions have their own uniqueness, and distinction that seperates the latter from the former. Sure, the landmarks are similar, the architecture are similar, but the time periods that these games are set in are completely/somewhat different. III, and IV are set in the same decade. 2001, and 2008 respectively. But despite the small gap in between the setting of the two games. Their approach to characterizing a modern-day New York are very different, III's society has that paranoia of the spread of the internet. The Y2K boom that started at the millenium, while IV sees people coming into grips with it, and dealing with the war on terror. Each rendition have their own effects to the boom of society in their respective universe, as well as real life problems too. There are similarities too, with Niko, and Claude being freelance hitmen hired by numerous respective criminal organizations, and follows their journey into a city they are stranger to. GTA III was basically Rockstar experimenting with a idea that has not been done before commercially, while IV was them refining, and almost perfected the formula of a sprawling, giant open world that the genre that they dominate. Essentially, they have their own similarities, but each with their own distinction to separate one rendition to another. I think that kinda proves my point.  :)

• Mister Pink, Algonquin Assassin, Official General and 1 other like this

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:51 AM Edited by TheHumanIsland, 26 February 2017 - 12:33 AM.

deleted

GrudgefromSanAndreas
  • GrudgefromSanAndreas

Straight outta Pluton's Ass

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:56 AM

but ehmm Seattle? that would please mostly Americans.

Could Bill Gates play a big role?

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade
  • Poland

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:22 PM Edited by Phnx., 25 February 2017 - 12:22 PM.

Am I tired of reused cities? Definetly. As much as Liberty City in GTA IV was a pretty cool rebuild of the previously used rendition, and GTA V southern San Andreas was OK too (I wish Los Santos was bigger and Blaine County was a bit more varied though), I don't want to see Vice City/Las Venturas/San Fierro/any pre-existing location in the next GTA. C'mon Rockstar, the United States ain't limited to California, New York, Florida and Nevada...
  • Algonquin Assassin likes this

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

Never! I want to see the new version of Liberty City!

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:58 PM

I'd say that a lot of GTA fans are nostalgia-blinded [ .. ] it seems like since the HD universe started with IV, whatever Rockstar does isn't good enough for some fans

Its so convenient to say these criticisms are largely just pure and simple nostalgia, but my friend, Rockstar is the one playing with the nostalgia card here to make us think of the old days by re-using the same cities which offered some of the great experiences in the past. It feels closer in spirit to the original cities, and less of a complete reimagining. Its more rehashing of the old ones with a modern spin that'll still invoke a feeling of nostalgia for the 3D era long gone.

Those who have either never touched any of the old games because they are so engulfed into the MMO crap they just don't care about SP, or its been way too long since they last played them that they generally tend to accept whatever R* throws at them in the name of "single player" and wouldn't mind a rehash, can't see how much of LC and LS looks like a complete rip-off.

When I analyse the modern LC and LS and compare them with the old ones, then it becomes immediately obvious to me that there's too much reuse of the same stories, characters, features, dialogues, mission types, etc.

Sure the world looks really stunning with lots of details in them, but at the same time the formula these modern cities follow is just overcooked by this point. They do not greatly improve to differentiate them from the old ones which is why this topic exists.
How many more years should we tolerate without much freedom nor interesting ways to interact with the world, but just watch them play out in motion captured cutscenes?

Liberty city and Los Santos are pretty much repeating the same things we have been experiencing for over many years now.

The way Liberty city in GTA IV has been created is more like playing GTA III using a new engine. Rockstar's attempt to recreate the city that's photorealistic and feels like a modern New York urban environment is admirable.

But its not so much of "returning to Liberty city to originate and innovate for keeping things fresh" as it is "reusing Liberty city and then turning it into a more living, breathing city" that players can appreciate for all the details, and landmarks, but the city itself doesn't contain enough to interest me from content, and gameplay standpoint.
If they simply wanted to deliver a photorealistic copy of New York city to immerse myself with the overall architecture, and physics, then they could have simply released a remaster of same GTA III.

You can't expect me to be more "grateful" for even having a GTA game, if in terms of world building there's so much potential wasted in modern Liberty city, which they have simply created to make it "look" like a real city, but still suffers from many of the same design 'flaws' that completely break the realism and immersion the moment I try to interact in a meaningful way, and become more creative inside the world. They're hardly original even after re-using Liberty city for what? 4 games or so?

Similarly Los Santos looks great, but that's all there's to it. As a SP, there's not much to talk about the city that I didn't experience back in 2004.

I am not trying to downplay LC or LS, but want to highlight that these modern cities are poorly executed to match that level of improvements and additions in making them worth returning to stay interested in playing them longer than how much I still enjoy the old ones for months without any need for SP DLC and/or Online.

Just reusing old cities for fancy graphics with an excruciating amount of details, and better physics, does not make them effective, bevause they don't bother to expand upon the overall structure and gameplay design for giving more reasons to enjoy these cities. They have no depth and do not evolve the way Online has evolved over the past titles.

The challenge lies in when you consider a new city, and work hard in terms of creating something that "feels" better than their past offerings for us to analyse and judge their maturty and growth as a developer after spending so many years in the industry.

There's not so much of the baggage of past experiences in the players mind with a new city when it comes to its history, politics, organised criminal culture, people and general gaming knowledge, etc that comes from having already experienced a city before.

Osho, you will not get an argument out of me when it comes to Rockstar using the old nostalgia card like you said to attempt vainly to appeal back to the fans who greatly adored the 3D games.

I guess maybe I too am frustrated with how it seems like nothing original has come out of this current time in age. And you're hitting the nail on the head when it comes to how video game developers

see more green and moolah in MMOs and riding the coattails of players who have bucks to spend (i.e. Online and Shark Cards).

I still think however, that perhaps looking at the HD games with a more open mind would be my advice at this point. I'm just as critical of Rockstar and other video game developers as I am praising of

the same folks who make these games.

- snip -

zzzzzz

IF you read this post, you see an enemy to what is the only game series ever to even stand up against this kind of nonsense. This guy claims to come late, but he didn't. And he was wrong then, and he is wrong now. He plays the story as if he knows it from a gameplay perspective, but he doesn't. He knwos what to SAY but he doesn't know how to play. Then end - you, the fans, will decide the next GTA.

But I implore you to embrace GTA IV and to shun GTA V. To let them meet in the middle, but to let the lore mature and teach you something that you have not yet seen in games, but have seen in film. Even if you didn't see it for yourself in film, know that rockstar have made rock and roll moves in film from games.

I really don't comprehend what you're trying to say here. Who's the enemy? Who's claiming to know everything about the game but doesn't know how to play?

And believe me, I've embraced both IV and V long before I came here,

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:19 PM Edited by Neon_Dreaming, 25 February 2017 - 07:24 PM.

Not just yet but I can see myself getting tired of the same locations sooner rather than later. I'd like to see a HD Las Venturas though as it's my favourite city in San Andreas, I think the difference between locations in the 3d era and what they could potentially be now would be so different that they would seem fresh, they could get people interested and invested with nostalgia but be new and exciting at the same time.

Although I think it's about time Rockstar do introduce or at least reference new locations, the only location referenced in the Gta Universe that I can recall which hasn't been used for a Gta map is Carcer City. It would be nice to see something fresh.
  • Mister Pink and Good Hombre like this

Efreet
  • Efreet

Has your mother finished mourning your father?

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:10 PM Edited by Jabalous, 25 February 2017 - 09:12 PM.

I wonder if R* will revisit Liberty City and Los Santos since they made a rendition of both that's realistic enough and advanced from a technical point of view. Of course if they visit LC again, it would be more advanced given the more processing power at hand, but when will they stop? It will be a never-ending cycle as each new gaming platform will allow them to render cities in a way that was never possible before. I don't agree with the hypothesis that basing a GTA game on a city that's not as iconic as NY and its ilk will undermine its ability to sell as usual and to resonate with players by providing them with an atmospheric urban experience.

• Mister Pink and assCRACK_98 like this

TheHolyNZF
  • TheHolyNZF

Thug

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:59 PM

What about the idea of building a city that's inspired by several real life US cities located in one large area? Rather than building an entire setting based on New York (Liberty City), make one that is based on New York, Chicago, Boston and maybe Washington DC. This approach might be not popular and I can see that particular setting losing its charm since it wouldn't be associated with one exact city/area, but who knows. Think of Mafia's Lost Heaven and Empire Bay, both of which don't resemble one real city only. 

That city could be called Anywhere City.

• DimitriFaustin and Yinepi like this

Celr0809
  • Celr0809

Bearded Killer

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:19 AM

Personally I would hate to see another gta that has a city or cities based on the California/Nevada and New York area. If they choose to go back to Vice City area, I would be happy with an HD version of it. But if they decide to go with a new city or cities, I think it would be cool if they did the upper midwestern cities that included Detroit and Chicago but also have the Great Lakes and some Canadian areas.
  • Mister Pink likes this

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

☭ rip sven ☭

• Members
  • GoSquared
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:26 AM

its less about 'originality' or 'being iconic' and more about 'potential'. i dont mind if the location has been retreaded or if its original, i just want a good map. a place that resembles it's location, captures the feel and the idea.

vice city, chicago. las venturas, philadelphia. san fierro, atlanta. it doesnt matter, they all have great potential no matter if they've never been visited or been visited many times before
  • Algonquin Assassin, Official General, Curtis and 2 others like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:22 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 27 February 2017 - 03:24 AM.

What about the idea of building a city that's inspired by several real life US cities located in one large area? Rather than building an entire setting based on New York (Liberty City), make one that is based on New York, Chicago, Boston and maybe Washington DC. This approach might be not popular and I can see that particular setting losing its charm since it wouldn't be associated with one exact city/area, but who knows. Think of Mafia's Lost Heaven and Empire Bay, both of which don't resemble one real city only. 

I used to disagree with this idea until I changed my mind recently playing a game and realizing that you can just adjust the city to include anything you want and is not conformed to having to replicate a pre-existing city. You can take all the best things from all major cities and put them. I love it. 

• Algonquin Assassin, DimitriFaustin, Yinepi and 1 other like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

its less about 'originality' or 'being iconic' and more about 'potential'. i dont mind if the location has been retreaded or if its original, i just want a good map. a place that resembles it's location, captures the feel and the idea.

vice city, chicago. las venturas, philadelphia. san fierro, atlanta. it doesnt matter, they all have great potential no matter if they've never been visited or been visited many times before

Ultimately this is what matters to me, this what I care about most. As long as it stays in the USA.

• MojoGamer and Good Hombre like this

assCRACK_98
  • assCRACK_98

RIP AGP

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:27 AM

I wonder if R* will revisit Liberty City and Los Santos since they made a rendition of both that's realistic enough and advanced from a technical point of view. Of course if they visit LC again, it would be more advanced given the more processing power at hand, but when will they stop? It will be a never-ending cycle as each new gaming platform will allow them to render cities in a way that was never possible before. I don't agree with the hypothesis that basing a GTA game on a city that's not as iconic as NY and its ilk will undermine its ability to sell as usual and to resonate with players by providing them with an atmospheric urban experience.

If they do, don't dump the HD era. The cities are accurate enough for characters to still be there.

MojoGamer
  • MojoGamer

Ultra Instinct

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:09 AM

If they do, don't dump the HD era. The cities are accurate enough for characters to still be there.

Hopefully they end the HD era with Las Venturas and Vice City. I am kind of dissappointed that San Fierro, didn't make it to GTA 5. However, I anticipate a 2020 Rockstargames Movie. Imagine a New York based movie. How bout that, cash em ousside. :cool: 

TheHolyNZF
  • TheHolyNZF

Thug

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:26 PM

Hopefully they end the HD era with Las Venturas and Vice City. I am kind of dissappointed that San Fierro, didn't make it to GTA 5. However, I anticipate a 2020 Rockstargames Movie. Imagine a New York based movie. How bout that, cash em ousside. :cool:

Will GTA 6 be a game based on a movie which is based on the game series of the game o.O would be kewl!

• assCRACK_98 likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:40 PM

I think both IV and V are great games that did their cities justice but a completely new location would allow them a clean slate without constantly being compared to older games. If the next GTA is a set in modern day VC people will constantly complain that it isn't like the PS2 VC and it doesn't have the same kind of feel which would be impossible since the 80s vibe was a big part of that feel but if they did that people would complain they are repeating themselves. They are pretty much in a no win situation with fans if they do VC as the next location. If they do a completely new location then it puts the past behind them and there is no previous game to live up to.

• DimitriFaustin likes this

Good Hombre
  • Good Hombre

I'm done with this sh*t

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

No, I still want to see Vice City, San Fierro and Las Venturas in the HD Universe. After that happen, Rockstar has to create new cities.

• assCRACK_98 likes this

MojoGamer
  • MojoGamer

Ultra Instinct

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:02 PM

I wont complain about Vice City in modern times. Im not gay or unreasonable, so GTA 6 has to be a modern time setting in Vice City and Las Venturas. A completely new location will Suck and ruin the HD Era. People are not weaklings, so Vice City will be a Win Win Situation if they included Las Venturas. As for San Fierro, it wouldn't make sense. Since its apart of GTA 5 world as California and mostly cut out due its competition Watch Dog already settled.

• DimitriFaustin likes this

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

All I'd like is a GTA based in Washington D.C. So much political humor could be brought out with a game set there.

assCRACK_98
  • assCRACK_98

RIP AGP

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:17 PM

I wont complain about Vice City in modern times. Im not gay or unreasonable, so GTA 6 has to be a modern time setting in Vice City and Las Venturas. A completely new location will Suck and ruin the HD Era. People are not weaklings, so Vice City will be a Win Win Situation if they included Las Venturas. As for San Fierro, it wouldn't make sense. Since its apart of GTA 5 world as California and mostly cut out due its competition Watch Dog already settled.

I don't understand why you think San Fierro wouldn't make sense, the GTAV map is only a part of San Andreas, Southern San Andreas. San Fierro still exists and can be done, it should be just north of Los Santos & Blaine County.

OT: I would like to see a new location at some point but at the very least give us Vice or Las Venturas first. Maybe they'll do SF and LV in one game then VC in the next, I would be totally fine with that. But I'm not really tired of reused cities as they are a lot different in the HD era.
  • Payne Killer, Pink Pineapple and DimitriFaustin like this

MojoGamer
  • MojoGamer

Ultra Instinct

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:27 AM

I don't understand why you think San Fierro wouldn't make sense, the GTAV map is only a part of San Andreas, Southern San Andreas. San Fierro still exists and can be done, it should be just north of Los Santos & Blaine County.

OT: I would like to see a new location at some point but at the very least give us Vice or Las Venturas first. Maybe they'll do SF and LV in one game then VC in the next, I would be totally fine with that. But I'm not really tired of reused cities as they are a lot different in the HD era.

That is cause you can't read and feel butt-hurt over San Fierro!  OP: San Fierro would be considered a Re-Used HD Era location, since it didn't make it to GTA 5. There is plenty of Las Venturas and Vice City indications in GTA 4. Highly Logical and Literal.

MojoGamer
  • MojoGamer

Ultra Instinct

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:32 AM

San Fierro could be the introducing "Prologue" to Gta 6. Have the 2 male protagonists break out of Alcatraz Prison and eventually meet the female protagonist in Vice City. But the 2 male protagonist get separated and introduce themselves separately in Las Venturas and Vice City.

assCRACK_98
  • assCRACK_98

RIP AGP

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:51 AM

That is cause you can't read and feel butt-hurt over San Fierro!  OP: San Fierro would be considered a Re-Used HD Era location, since it didn't make it to GTA 5. There is plenty of Las Venturas and Vice City indications in GTA 4. Highly Logical and Literal.

Nah I'm pretty sure you said it wouldn't make sense because it's part of the GTA5 world. But ok dude.

Efreet
  • Efreet

Has your mother finished mourning your father?

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:10 PM

I've a feeling that we will probably not visit LC and LS again, at least not in one of the next few GTA games. The reason is that both cities were finally made in a recognizable form that people who experienced New York City and Los Angeles expressed how R* nailed the atmosphere and the overall architecture of both cities. LC and LS of the III era were barely resembling their real-life counterparts, so remaking them in the HD era was justified. They can't go any further in rebuilding them again without us feeling that we've been there before. As much as I want a new setting to breath more life into the franchise's world, I would find a rebuild of San Fierro, Vice City and Las Venturas justified because their III-era form was as primitive as LC and LS.

• Mister Pink, Official General and Pink Pineapple like this

VictorVince1239
  • VictorVince1239

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:12 PM

The same cities and the long ass waits between games. At this rate ill be 50 before I ever see a GTA based on my hometown Washington DC smh..but of course ill still be a gamer.

• Efreet, Official General and Pink Pineapple like this

PaddsterG2k3
  • PaddsterG2k3

The Bee's Knees

• Members

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

Is it not possible to have both say VC and a new city?

Seeing as though two cities is the next logical step (and Rockstar can justify it as progression), this would a way of pleasing both sides.

• Mister Pink, Official General and The Deadite like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:43 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 09 March 2017 - 03:45 PM.

I've a feeling that we will probably not visit LC and LS again, at least not in one of the next few GTA games. The reason is that both cities were finally made in a recognizable form that people who experienced New York City and Los Angeles expressed how R* nailed the atmosphere and the overall architecture of both cities. LC and LS of the III era were barely resembling their real-life counterparts, so remaking them in the HD era was justified. They can't go any further in rebuilding them again without us feeling that we've been there before. As much as I want a new setting to breath more life into the franchise's world, I would find a rebuild of San Fierro, Vice City and Las Venturas justified because their III-era form was as primitive as LC and LS.

Yes, great points. III era Liberty City wasnt a fully realized city and I think Rockstar made an achievement with IV to ammend that.

I think they will rest that city for a while and it will be nice to come back to in a few years.

I would love a HD Las Venturas or San Fierro, I guess Im precious about Vice City because a remade in Vice City wont focus on the things I loved about the original VC. It wont be pastel suits, fast cars and 1980s glam.

While Im glad Rockstar will do something new with it, I may not like the new.

A bit like Rockstat doing modern LA. Modern L.A. isnt really interesting to me like and early 90s South Central with a wealth of films from then to draw from. Same with Vice City... We all know what the 80s were for Miami.

What is the modern equivalant for that? Those games were so unique and set in a time that was unique and almost historic, particularly in pop culture.

I hope Rockstar focusess their attention on that special time and place rather than generically HD rebuilding of cities in modern form. Like theyre forgetting about the art and doing someting outside the box.
  • Algonquin Assassin, Efreet and Official General like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:06 PM Edited by Official General, 12 March 2017 - 08:39 AM.

I would love a HD Las Venturas or San Fierro, I guess I'm precarious about Vice City because a remade in Vice City wont focus on the things I loved about the original VC. It wont be pastel suits, fast cars and 1980s glam. While I'm glad Rockstar will do something new with it, I may not like the new.A bit like Rockstar doing modern LA. Modern L.A. isn't really interesting to me like and early 90s South Central with a wealth of films from then to draw from. Same with Vice City... We all know what the 80s were for Miami. What is the modern equivalent for that? Those games were so unique and set in a time that was unique and almost historic, particularly in pop culture.I hope Rockstar focuses their attention on that special time and place rather than generically HD rebuilding of cities in modern form. Like they're forgetting about the art and doing something outside the box.

@ MisterPink

I too will admit that I was not very excited about a modern-day LS in V on first discovering the location, namely because it didn't have much to offer in terms of exciting and interesting real-life material based on what happens in modern-day LA. Modern day LA has nothing exceptional or fascinating about it, the whole LA mystique and magic has all been seen and done before and it's played out now. LA still has a lot of gang life/culture, hoods, drugs, gun crime, and all that, but it's no longer sensationalised in the media like it used to be and the most fascinating period for that stuff was the 90s, which SA so brilliantly portrayed.

But modern-day Miami, to me still wealth of references and material to draw from. Miami has blossomed more than ever into a world-renowned, world-famous, supreme, tropical paradise, a metropolis that's the ultimate playground for the rich and wealthy, the famous, the glamorous, party revellers, its a sprawling urban center that acts as the main gateway to Latin America, there is the Miami beachfront, nightlife, it's hip hop scene and it's money-flashin' blingin' rappers and strip club sub-culture a la Rick Ross etc, then....the dark side with it's still ever-present drug trade, the extremely violent and high rates of gun crime in it's ghettos, the Hispanic drug traffickers and street gangs, the Haitian gangs and the usual African American gangs. The tons of fast, sports and flashy cars cruising around the city, it's got it all. A HD version of VC would do it great justice.

• Mister Pink, MojoGamer, Maibatsu545 and 1 other like this

MojoGamer
  • MojoGamer

Ultra Instinct

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:36 PM

I would love a HD Las Venturas or San Fierro, I guess I'm precarious about Vice City because a remade in Vice City wont focus on the things I loved about the original VC. It wont be pastel suits, fast cars and 1980s glam. While I'm glad Rockstar will do something new with it, I may not like the new.A bit like Rockstar doing modern LA. Modern L.A. isn't really interesting to me like and early 90s South Central with a wealth of films from then to draw from. Same with Vice City... We all know what the 80s were for Miami. What is the modern equivalent for that? Those games were so unique and set in a time that was unique and almost historic, particularly in pop culture.I hope Rockstar focuses their attention on that special time and place rather than generically HD rebuilding of cities in modern form. Like they're forgetting about the art and doing something outside the box.

@ MisterPink

I too will admit that I was not very excited about a modern-day LS in V on first discovering the location, namely because it didn't have much to offer in terms of exciting and interesting real-life material based on what happens in modern-day LA. Modern day LA has nothing exceptional or fascinating about it, the whole LA mystique and magic has all been seen and done before and it's played out now. LA still has a lot of gang life/culture, hoods, drugs, gun crime, and all that, but it's no longer sensationalised in the media like it used to be and the most fascinating period for that stuff was the 90s, which SA so brilliantly portrayed.

But modern-day Miami, to me still wealth of references and material to draw from. Miami has blossomed more than ever into a world-renowned, world-famous, supreme tropical paradise that's the ultimate playground for the rich and wealthy, the famous, the glamorous, party revellers, its a sprawling metropolis that acts as the main gateway to Latin America, there is the Miami hip hop scene and it's rich rappers and strip club sub-culture a la Rick Ross etc, then....the dark side with it's still ever-present drug trade, the extremely violent and high rates of gun crime in it's ghettos, the Hispanic drug traffickers and street gangs, the Haitian gangs and the usual African American gangs, it's got it all. A HD version of VC would do it great justice.

I agree with General and not Pink. Vice City will have alot to offer in a modern-day Miami. Another 80's Vice City will be awful.  Super cars and a possible 2 City map including Las Venturas. Will be Amazing as long as the protags. Are not old and boring with no satisfaction like in GTA 5.

• Official General likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users