The RGB craze

17 replies to this topic
Kingbing
  • Kingbing

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:51 PM

Am I the only one here who doesn't see the taste in putting RGB lighting all over your setup?

Like stuff like this:

728x0-best-gaming-setup-desk-setup-tour-

I just wouldn't be able to stand sitting there.  Not to mention having three hats in a row just to use some of the excess space...  But that's another discussion.

I'd much prefer something more like this.  Subtle RGB to compliment the desktop wallpaper, add a little bit of contrast to the white of the desk and walls.  And it's not so in your face.  And from what you see, the cable management is miles better than the first picture.

13437388_1014553141915486_827090900_n.jp

I'm not so against RGB as a whole, but this whole fad of throwing it on everything without any thought just can totally ruin a setup in my opinion. 

I'm much more for keeping it clean, cable managed, and fluid setup.  It just seems more professional to me.  But that's just my opinion on the subject.  Let's hear some others.

• 2281, Android and Audi like this

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:04 PM

If you turn my monitor off, my setup looks like this.

blackscreen-16-9.png

• 2281, Android and HaRdSTyLe_83 like this

SLUMPUSSY
  • SLUMPUSSY

the streets is cold dawg like it says in the book

• The Yardies
  • Macau
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:24 PM

cathodes and uv reactive sh*te 10 years on. it can be cool up to a certain point but eh having a whole bunch of RGB lights and strips all over my rig/desk isn't something id be keen on. maybe some white/yellow ones for neutral lighting behind the desk but other than that no. that being said id take the first setup over the second because im not big on the  whole SUPER CLEAN SUPER SLEEK NO CABLES NO CLUTTER style that looks like it's straight out of an ikea catalogue.

Kingbing
  • Kingbing

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:06 PM

cathodes and uv reactive sh*te 10 years on. it can be cool up to a certain point but eh having a whole bunch of RGB lights and strips all over my rig/desk isn't something id be keen on. maybe some white/yellow ones for neutral lighting behind the desk but other than that no. that being said id take the first setup over the second because im not big on the  whole SUPER CLEAN SUPER SLEEK NO CABLES NO CLUTTER style that looks like it's straight out of an ikea catalogue.

I do agree with you there where the second one seems to lack some personality.  Though, if I had that one, I would have my microphone, and my drawing tablet on it  and maybe some drawings on the walls or something.

SLUMPUSSY
  • SLUMPUSSY

the streets is cold dawg like it says in the book

• The Yardies
  • Macau
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:20 PM

I mean if I did have the first one I'd strip it of the sh*te Razer theme and atleast have the rig itself on the table instead of 3 hats :p

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Nškyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:24 PM

Impressive, themed system build and largely neutral surroundings > lots of pointless glowing sh*t.
  • Android likes this

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:28 PM

at first i bought the NZXT Hue+ and placed some led stripes in the desk etc, but i almost never turn them on, i even turned off all the leds inside the case (gpu and water pump)
from time to time i still turn the desk leds on

f6qfwB0.jpg

• Mister Pink, Girish, LevelDockSix and 3 others like this

JuniorChubb
  • JuniorChubb

Aqualish Spy

• Van Society
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Certified Crew 2016 [Van Society]
    GTAF Time Trials Most Improved Driver 2016
    Best Event 2015 [Van Society Meetups]

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:41 PM Edited by JuniorChubb, 17 February 2017 - 12:42 PM.

Like any aesthetic additions there is no right or wrong, just your personal taste. 

Personally I think moderation is key, a small LED strip can improve the look of a gaming set up if in the right place and the right intensity. Like many things in life though some people just can't help gorging and going way over the top just like they do in LSC.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:21 PM

Impressive, themed system build and largely neutral surroundings > lots of pointless glowing sh*t.

It's all about bragging and stuff in the end. I like simplicity in general but I also like glowing stuff for some reason (maybe early Christmas memories or something).

None of the stuff posted here looks overdone to me.

iSaint9
  • iSaint9

Lewd | #Remodlution

• Van Society
  • Spain

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:42 AM

Meh, I only like RGB because my OCD won't let me use a green wallpaper with red LEDs. Nothing too tacky ATM. I plan on getting a white LED strip for my PC soon, just so I can see what's inside it. Nothing too tacky, though.

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:54 PM Edited by Niobium, 24 February 2017 - 07:54 PM.

yeah, RGB is usually tasteless. the only RGB thing i have is my M65, and i bought that mouse in spite of it being RGB.

Presidential
  • Presidential

lol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:47 AM Edited by Presidential, 02 March 2017 - 02:47 AM.

at first i bought the NZXT Hue+ and placed some led stripes in the desk etc, but i almost never turn them on, i even turned off all the leds inside the case (gpu and water pump)
from time to time i still turn the desk leds on

What monitor is that bro? Would love that sitting on my desk.

OT: I like RGB cause it goes with the side of me that loves lamps, lava lamps, blacklights and all that as part of my room decorating.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

its the Asus PG348Q but without the stand, it was just to big for my desk

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:44 AM

this RGB craze is getting more annoying. they are starting to put RGB on RAM now. fu*king RAM. what's next, RGB storage? RGB PSU? ugh. noctua's brown fans look better than this sh*t

yojc
  • yojc

2A03

• Members
  • Poland
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:48 AM

There are RGB PSUs already actually ;)

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:55 PM

There are RGB PSUs already actually ;)

kill me

• Azazel likes this

Blondie
  • Blondie

God I wish I believed you when you told me this was my home.

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:42 PM

I like simplicity, I don't want to put any extra weird colored stuff in my room, or if I had a room with my computers, a whole room filled with that light. I just prefer normal lights. If people really like it, then it's their own choice and they can customize their computers and rooms how they want but I personally wouldn't even think of getting that near my house.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:52 PM

A long time ago I bought some UV-glowing IDE cables when it was all the rage, blue-light glowing fan for the front of the case and the case itself had a gigantic 14" fan on the side.

I don't use it anymore. Not that I grew up out of having silly fluff, but it's immensely impractical to have sh*t glow into your face.

My mouse has blue backlight but that's also disabled.

As for surrounding light, I'm not entirely sure one way or another. I generally use very warm light for ambience, like 1400 K or something, very orange-yellow as I find it's easy on the eyes. But so is green color actually - not the kind of neon green like on the OP image but slight green is healthy. If you read ebooks on a phone/tablet with a traditional LCD, try switching to a green background (Kindle has that option) and you'll see.

• Mister Pink likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users