Photo

Which lappy I should buy?

33 replies to this topic
Quinn_flower
  • Quinn_flower

S.T.A.R.S Unit/The Dear R* Girl

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:03 AM Edited by Quinn_flower, 15 February 2017 - 01:04 AM.

so i'm stuck in between these three laptops and its like buying a car at this point. which is better for the value? any help thank you!
never knew pc gaming can be so confusing lol. Also if any of these features I can buy on a later date and install them taking it to a pc shop let me know so I don't have to pay for extra for no reason. I'm buying this ASAP before the transfer window closes.

I looked in the rog but it seems gimicky with that bright orange color scheme. I like a bit subtle

option 1 https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/B01MR67XG4
option 2 https://www.amazon.c...p/dp/B01M129LLX
option 3 https://www.amazon.c...p/dp/B01MUAML2B
this one i heard has a nicer display

FourFingersOfFun
  • FourFingersOfFun

Homie

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:26 AM

so i'm stuck in between these three laptops and its like buying a car at this point. which is better for the value? any help thank you!
never knew pc gaming can be so confusing lol. Also if any of these features I can buy on a later date and install them taking it to a pc shop let me know so I don't have to pay for extra for no reason. I'm buying this ASAP before the transfer window closes.

I looked in the rog but it seems gimicky with that bright orange color scheme. I like a bit subtle

I'd say the second laptop, although you would be much better off with a desktop honestly.
Only things you can upgrade in a laptop is maybe the RAM and definitely any HDD's/SSDs
  • LaBombaRomba likes this

Quinn_flower
  • Quinn_flower

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:42 AM

I'd say the second laptop, although you would be much better off with a desktop honestly.
Only things you can upgrade in a laptop is maybe the RAM and definitely any HDD's/SSDs

I travel a lot because my job so I'm rarely at home so it would be nice to game while away or on a flight.

Crystal3lf
  • Crystal3lf

( ͡ ͜°ʖ͡°)

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:32 AM

I would not recommend any of these. You are much better off going with a brand like MSI, Razer or ASUS. Even if it means you spend slightly more, you will get better value in the long run.

If you're looking to spend that much money then I would look at something like this instead: https://www.amazon.c...QNHBE9DHBG04MBN

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:08 AM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 15 February 2017 - 11:09 AM.

I would not recommend any of these. You are much better off going with a brand like MSI, Razer or ASUS. Even if it means you spend slightly more, you will get better value in the long run.

If you're looking to spend that much money then I would look at something like this instead: https://www.amazon.c...QNHBE9DHBG04MBN

it was already suggested to her in the other topic. (same style w/ different config)

@op if you dont like the design of the ROG its fine, but at least try to stick with reliable brands. Asus, Msi, Razer etc..i  personally wouldnt spend money on Eluktronic simply cuz i never heard of it before and it seems kind of shady

Quinn_flower
  • Quinn_flower

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:12 PM

it was already suggested to her in the other topic. (same style w/ different config)

@op if you dont like the design of the ROG its fine, but at least try to stick with reliable brands. Asus, Msi, Razer etc..i  personally wouldnt spend money on Eluktronic simply cuz i never heard of it before and it seems kind of shady

Ok which one from those brands do you recommend? It's just I travel a lot and I don't want to be a target to robbery if I need to go to coffee shop to use the net from work. So that's why I like a but subtle.

Crystal3lf
  • Crystal3lf

( ͡ ͜°ʖ͡°)

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:19 PM Edited by Crystal3lf, 15 February 2017 - 09:22 PM.

Ok which one from those brands do you recommend? It's just I travel a lot and I don't want to be a target to robbery if I need to go to coffee shop to use the net from work. So that's why I like a but subtle.

If anyone is looking to steal a laptop in a coffee shop, they'll go for the stupid $2,000+ Macbooks first. Anyway; out of these, the Razer Blade is probably the most "subtle" and I've heard very good things about it. The ASUS ROG linked below is slightly more expensive than the previous I posted, but has more up-to-date specs, and is the most powerful of the three.

If you're looking to play decent games, you're going to have a hard time finding one that doesn't look gamer-y.

ASUS - https://www.amazon.c...1_t1_B01FFRD1NU

Razer - https://www.amazon.c...rds=razer blade

MSI - https://www.amazon.c...7193223&sr=1-36
  • Quinn_flower likes this

LevelDockSix
  • LevelDockSix

Sure Shot

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • India

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:55 AM

I have the Blade, its pretty fantastic. My model (the older one with a 970M) gets heated up quite quick though, plus noisy fans at high load. For productuvutity its fine however, battery lasts decent enough. Plus it looks professional (as professional black and RGB goes anyway lol).

Dell has the XPS 15 however with a GTX 1060, while I haven't looked into much I hear it fantastic.

Quinn_flower
  • Quinn_flower

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:34 PM Edited by Quinn_flower, 18 February 2017 - 05:35 PM.

I have the Blade, its pretty fantastic. My model (the older one with a 970M) gets heated up quite quick though, plus noisy fans at high load. For productuvutity its fine however, battery lasts decent enough. Plus it looks professional (as professional black and RGB goes anyway lol).

Dell has the XPS 15 however with a GTX 1060, while I haven't looked into much I hear it fantastic.

Hmmm if I'm dropping 1k on something might as well get the latest thing like a 1070 heard that is good and future proof for a while.

also bigger screen or better resolution?

One lap top comes in a 17 inch but 60hz but another comes in 15 inch but 120hz. which would be better to get?

LevelDockSix
  • LevelDockSix

Sure Shot

• India

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:15 AM Edited by LevelDockSix, 19 February 2017 - 07:26 AM.

I'd like to think a 15" screen (like on the Blade) is more portable for a laptop (my best bud has an 18" behemoth of an MSi, 100% not easy to carry around as we found out lol; it weighs like 5 kilos too), plus a higher refresh rate is always more beneficial for a smoother experience.

So IMHO, opt against a bigger screen. A better resolution is always good if you have the horsepower to run it (which a GTX1060/70 has plenty of), just be wary that windows scaling is a bit trash :p

Also I realized how badly I butchered the word "productivity" there lol, thanks phone.

Crystal3lf
  • Crystal3lf

( ͡ ͜°ʖ͡°)

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:38 AM Edited by Crystal3lf, 19 February 2017 - 10:43 AM.

Better resolution will always make the picture look better, however it will reduce performance. You have to ask yourself what you are using it for, if it's a 1440p screen, can it run GTA V @60FPS? Probably not as well as a 1080p screen.

One lap top comes in a 17 inch but 60hz but another comes in 15 inch but 120hz. which would be better to get?

120hz will show you actual rendered frames up to 120FPS, so it is better, but it depends on the game/laptop specs if it can reach those FPS. Personally; FPS is more important to me than graphics, I would take [email protected] over [email protected] for example.

Are you coming from console? Have you ever experienced [email protected] before, just wondering.

Quinn_flower
  • Quinn_flower

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:19 PM Edited by Quinn_flower, 19 February 2017 - 06:23 PM.

Better resolution will always make the picture look better, however it will reduce performance. You have to ask yourself what you are using it for, if it's a 1440p screen, can it run GTA V @60FPS? Probably not as well as a 1080p screen.

120hz will show you actual rendered frames up to 120FPS, so it is better, but it depends on the game/laptop specs if it can reach those FPS. Personally; FPS is more important to me than graphics, I would take [email protected] over [email protected] for example.

Are you coming from console? Have you ever experienced [email protected] before, just wondering.
I am coming from console so this is all new to me. I been watching YouTube reviews.

Say for example fallout 4 or skyrim se which is one of the reasons I'm getting a lappy for mods. Will those look good in 120hz? As well gta?

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:20 AM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 20 February 2017 - 01:33 AM.

it all depends on the games. probably 60Hz are enough for those, at least to me only games with fast moving images (racing, player vs player games like cod etc) are worth more then 60.

you are now suffering from pc fever :p decisions decisions... when you played in console you were stucked with what you had :p

true, but at 1080p you will need at least 4xMsaa to make the game look good and on 1440p you only need x2, if its needed at all

@op if you can you should go to a pc store and see it for yourself 60hz vs 120hz 1080p vs 1440p. you can see all reviews but in the end its personal preference. some will go with fast refresh for smooth gaming, others with better res for better looking games

Spoiler

Crystal3lf
  • Crystal3lf

( ͡ ͜°ʖ͡°)

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:24 AM

Say for example fallout 4 or skyrim se which is one of the reasons I'm getting a lappy for mods. Will those look good in 120hz? As well gta?

Everything will look good in 120hz, but most laptops won't be able to run med-high settings at 120FPS anyway unless you're playing something like Rocket League or CS:GO. It will look far better than consoles though, any of the laptops I linked before will hit a stable 60FPS with high settings.

Quinn_flower
  • Quinn_flower

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:34 PM Edited by Quinn_flower, 20 February 2017 - 09:38 PM.

Everything will look good in 120hz, but most laptops won't be able to run med-high settings at 120FPS anyway unless you're playing something like Rocket League or CS:GO. It will look far better than consoles though, any of the laptops I linked before will hit a stable 60FPS with high settings.
Oki! One more question are these good

i went to bb.com and saw this alienware laptop that i liked and but as i was doing research the model i saw in store in Akihabara doesn't have g-sync but the one on the net has it.

so my question is a deal breaker at that price? i always heard get gsnyc for games.

also anyone bought from best buy using the open box thing? if its good i would get it and save a few cash.

ty!

with gsync

http://www.bestbuy.c...p?skuId=5623238
without gsync
http://www.bestbuy.c...p?skuId=5623233

Crystal3lf
  • Crystal3lf

( ͡ ͜°ʖ͡°)

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:15 PM Edited by Crystal3lf, 20 February 2017 - 10:23 PM.

i went to bb.com and saw this alienware laptop that i liked

I thought this would come up eventually. Alienware isn't terrible, but are generally not as good as competitors, and are overpriced. PCMR like to think of them as the Apple of the PC market.

The ASUS ROG has an identical CPU/GPU + larger and even better PCIE SSD, and is $100 - $300 cheaper. The only big difference is screen size/resolution.

As for G-Sync, I have not had an opportunity to see the difference from a normal display vs G-Sync so I couldn't really tell you if it's worth it. I know I get screen tearing on the monitors I'm using now, but I can hardly tell unless I'm focusing on it.

Honestly, if you are getting 60FPS in game on a 60hz display, then it's best to turn V-Sync on in your game settings. This would eliminate most; if not all tearing issues on the screen. This is why I don't care too much about these new G-Sync/Free-Sync whatever else they have these days until I get a higher refresh rate on my monitors.

Quinn_flower
  • Quinn_flower

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:49 AM

i went to bb.com and saw this alienware laptop that i liked

I thought this would come up eventually. Alienware isn't terrible, but are generally not as good as competitors, and are overpriced. PCMR like to think of them as the Apple of the PC market.

The ASUS ROG has an identical CPU/GPU + larger and even better PCIE SSD, and is $100 - $300 cheaper. The only big difference is screen size/resolution.

As for G-Sync, I have not had an opportunity to see the difference from a normal display vs G-Sync so I couldn't really tell you if it's worth it. I know I get screen tearing on the monitors I'm using now, but I can hardly tell unless I'm focusing on it.

Honestly, if you are getting 60FPS in game on a 60hz display, then it's best to turn V-Sync on in your game settings. This would eliminate most; if not all tearing issues on the screen. This is why I don't care too much about these new G-Sync/Free-Sync whatever else they have these days until I get a higher refresh rate on my monitors.

hey thanks for the advice. i was wondering my alienware get a bad rep. i do own a iphone 6s though lol.

LevelDockSix
  • LevelDockSix

Sure Shot

• India

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:00 AM Edited by LevelDockSix, 22 February 2017 - 07:01 AM.

The new Alienware's are pretty nice tbh, they dropped the whole edgy look and look genuinely nice. They might still be a tad overpriced though :p

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:40 AM Edited by TheHumanIsland, 24 February 2017 - 10:49 AM.

If it absolutely must be a laptop, then the second one has the best display, but it also is severely lacking in storage.

I probably wouldn't pick any of these, to be honest. I have never even heard of the company. However, that's not to say it's not a bad ass regional brand in your area and just not mine.

If it does not absolutely have to be a laptop (e.g., you don't NEED the mobility it provides and most don't with smartphones and especially through remote desktop and high speed internet these days, including through phone), then I would HIGHLY suggest you spend about 1/3 or even 1/4 that price on something that will mop the floor with and murder those laptops. 

Laptops, even labeled for gaming, even now in 2017, will NOT last the time a desktop equivalent will, and if you are putting this on credit of some kind, it will definitely be junk before you pay it off assuming minimum payments are made.

You could literally build a beast murderous PC that destroys those laptops "mobile" hardware AND a cheaper laptop to use to remote into it and even stream your games from for less than half that. About half would probably get you the same with a prebuilt, but building is also highly recommended and we can help you with that, as well.

My old buddy back home bought a laptop for about 1900 dollars. 6 months later architectures and API's updated just enough and new games came out and it was pretty slow, and what it used to run good even was running slower. Dropped it once - in it's snazzy protected, padded case - spent 2 years paying for a broken laptop after that that would have cost more to fix than it would just to pay it off. Think very hard about that.

TL;DR: Laptops are NOT for gaming, even now. They can do good for a year maybe at mid to mid-high settings on AAA games, but it's not going to last. A desktop will murder those with half or less budget. Plenty leftover for good display, keys, mouse, and games. Get a laptop cheap for mobile uses - internet, school, etc, and remote into your real PC that will not die as fast in terms of how viable it is to run new games. Not only are laptops with the "same hardware" (e.g. GPUxxx vs GPUxxxM <-- m for mobile) slower than their desktop counterparts, they are not up-gradable, and they are built for battery life, not for battery consumption, and gaming is the most power intensive thing you can do on a PC.

If it MUST be a laptop, consider getting a cheaper laptop for whatever it "must" do (your travels and your job - I understand), and build yourself a good gaming rig instead. You can remote into it and stream games, just like PSNow only you own them and no monthly fees.

Ranna
  • Ranna

Strawberry Popsicle

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:43 AM

-snip-

I've been using a crappy laptop with intel hd 4000, 8 gb of ram, and i5 for 2 years and it is doing just fine surprisingly. 

Heres a link to my vidya games I play using it http://steamcommunit.../games/?tab=all

When I turn shadows off and put everything on low, I get 25-30 fps on online in a full lobby, honestly not bad. Don't sh*t on laptops man, they have their uses other than videogames.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:35 PM

-snip-

I've been using a crappy laptop with intel hd 4000, 8 gb of ram, and i5 for 2 years and it is doing just fine surprisingly. 

Heres a link to my vidya games I play using it http://steamcommunit.../games/?tab=all

holly f*ck, do you play all those games in that laptop ??

When I turn shadows off and put everything on low, I get 25-30 fps on online in a full lobby, honestly not bad. Don't sh*t on laptops man, they have their uses other than videogames.

i almost shed a tear for you :p almost....

• TheHumanIsland likes this

Quinn_flower
  • Quinn_flower

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:50 AM Edited by Quinn_flower, 26 February 2017 - 03:54 AM.

So I bought the Alienware 17 with 120hz and g sync with 1070.

It's so beautiful lol.

I didn't buy it new I bought it open box from Best Buy saved 300 usd from it. And still has warranty from manufacturer since previous owner bought the extended one so it transfered to mine. Lol

Love it because of the lighting options. But it's heavy lol. But I love it regardless.

Now to find a cheap version of gta v.

lOgINKE.jpg
  • LevelDockSix likes this

Crystal3lf
  • Crystal3lf

( ͡ ͜°ʖ͡°)

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:16 PM Edited by Crystal3lf, 26 February 2017 - 12:17 PM.

So I bought the Alienware 17 with 120hz and g sync with 1070.

Congrats on your purchase :)

Now to find a cheap version of gta v.

I would not recommend saving a few bucks and buying a key from anywhere but Steam, or a re-seller that provides an actual Steam key for the game. Most 3rd party sellers will sell you a RSSC key, which means you have to download GTA V through the Rockstar servers, and they are awful.

GTA V was just on sale the other day, so you just missed it :( If you don't care about having the non-Steam version, you can get it for $37.5 here, be quick it's only on for 8 more hours as of posting.

Be sure to check https://www.humblebundle.com every week for some really cheap and usually awesome games, some of it even goes towards charity. Humble Bundle also has a monthly bundle, you can pay $12/m similar to PS+, XBL, but you actually get to keep the games permanently.

Steam has weekly sales and then the famous Steam sales usually quarterly throughout the year.
http://store.steampo...ecials=1&os=win

Get this :p

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:20 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 26 February 2017 - 12:23 PM.

usually goes on steam sale once every two months

right now it's on sale on humble bundle for 29.99$

edit: ninja'd :)

Quinn_flower
  • Quinn_flower

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:07 PM

hey thanks for the did the humble bundle least it goes to charity not r* pockets.

any advices for owning a gaming pc? never owned one so i know it different from console. 

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:27 AM Edited by Pat, 01 March 2017 - 01:44 AM.

-snip-

25 to 30 fps... on all low... case in point.

With a dedicated graphics processor in there, it would do better, but what you have there is unacceptable performance. :p

Crystal3lf
  • Crystal3lf

( ͡ ͜°ʖ͡°)

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:56 AM Edited by Crystal3lf, 28 February 2017 - 07:13 AM.

GTA V cheaper than 50 percent sale on G2A

G2A is known to sell stolen keys, and has shady business practices. Do not use G2A.

any advices for owning a gaming pc? never owned one so i know it different from console.

Don't click any links that look suspicious. If you still want to click it, hover over it first and check if it's the same URL in the left corner of your browser. For example http://www.legitwebsitenotavirus.com

Stick to authorised Steam resellers:
Humble Bundle
Bundle Stars
Indie Gala
Green Man Gaming
There are a few others, but are lesser known.

Seriously don't use G2A, even if it saves you a couple of dollars. Can't state it enough.

Get any sort of anti-virus. I used Avast(free version) for at least 5 years and it was pretty decent, but it started false flagging some sites I visit. I switched to Avira(also free version) and it has been pretty good so far. It pops up some advertisements to buy the full version every now and then, but I don't mind too much. You could technically go without it, but it's there just as a fail-safe.

If you do get a virus or some sort of malware, Malwarebytes has saved me quite a few times. But as long as you are careful where you go, and what you click, it's not really much to worry about.
  • HaRdSTyLe_83 likes this

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:49 AM Edited by TheHumanIsland, 28 February 2017 - 09:53 AM.

I never had a problem with G2A, and they changed a lot since those scandals/claims I never myself saw proof of and didn't come across and was already a customer for a while. They have official developer sale section, they have crackdown practices on bad keys now, I can't confirm how good it is for consumers, because with like 25 to 30 game purchases at this point, and including MMO's like ESO, and CoD games for 7 dollars instead of 60, and many games that are 10 to 25 on steam for like 2 to 7 on there, I have never had any issue whatsoever.

G2A is a marketplace where other users sell keys with ratings for sellers like Amazon and Ebay has... if you read reviews and are make sure you buy from a good buyer, it's not a problem as far as I can tell. I get the best deals there. Every steam sale is crap now, and whenever I see a game on sale on steam, I just go buy it cheaper on G2A =)

G2A has been great for me... For the price of one game, I get 10... Without issues. Without G2A shield. I just don't buy "premium steam keys 5 packs" and such anymore, because I didn't like what I got from them the time I tried it.

Not all browsers will give the status/link reveal, in those cases, people just right clight and copy url and paste it before you hit enter.

Crystal3lf
  • Crystal3lf

( ͡ ͜°ʖ͡°)

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:53 AM Edited by Crystal3lf, 01 March 2017 - 12:54 AM.

I never had a problem with G2A, and they changed a lot since those scandals/claims I never myself saw proof of and didn't come across and was already a customer for a while.

https://twitter.com/...577590606520320

Devolver Digital games purchased on @G2A_com are not legitimate, not guaranteed, and not supported. We are actively canceling those keys.

G2A, Piracy, and the Four Currencies

G2A’s CEO on fraud, money laundering and the future of his online marketplace

How Steam key reselling is killing the little guys

Unsubscribing from G2A Shield. 20-minute process to disable

Indie Dev's experiences with G2A

Over 7,000 stolen Sniper Elite 3 Steam keys revoked

'Fraudulent' Elder Scrolls Online Steam keys revoked

30,000 Blackwell Deception keys revoked after giveaway exploit

Retailer Scam Re-Sells Humble Bundle Games, Reaps Profit Off Charity

G2A Scammer Explains How He Profited Off Stolen Indie Game Keys

Past user experiences.
https://www.reddit.c...d_never_use_it/

https://www.reddit.c...iness_with_g2a/

https://www.reddit.c..._well_be_aware/

Stop.

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:52 AM Edited by TheHumanIsland, 01 March 2017 - 06:03 AM.

Again, I myself have never had a problem with G2A. 

They typically have the absolute best prices, even during sales on other places, G2A's prices usually can't be beat.

Again, out of 20-30 games over the last couple of years, I've never had one revoked or disabled or got the wrong key or couldn't enter it.

I don't care what people post on the internet because (especially at reddit) for all I know, they are just competitors or people who are paid to attack competitors (again, especially on reddit).

People scam on eBay and Amazon, selling counterfeit stuff - and just like those places, G2A cleans it up when it happens. IF you buy G2A Shield, you have a guarantee. Otherwise, terms clearly explain that it's at your own risk - I take the risk, and Again, I have not had any issues with all the triple AAA titles I buy from there for 1/6th or less of what they are asked for elsewhere.

You do not tell me to stop when you are the one who started! Not cool. You tell people not to buy from a site that I mentioned when the guy was asking where he can find a good price - well, the best price happens to be on G2A. You are not the boss of me, and you're not as smart as you think you are, because of the other stuff you said about AV and such.

You stop. =)

Or, at the very least, let people have their opinions. Even if there were issues with G2A, it's no different than the small percentage of issues people have with eBay and Amazon from time to time. I myself, one last time, have never had an issue and fully recommend G2A.

And you are completely outdated on your facts. G2A pays royalties to devs now, too.

https://www.engadget...ents-game-keys/

https://www.pcgamesn...ng-up-their-act

They are working on it like any other good upstanding company would. I guess you don't know that though? Well, now you do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users