GTA 3 is the new Vice City!

4 replies to this topic
Dingleman
  • Dingleman

Big Mouthed Prick

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:51 AM

I looked for a "nostalgia" or "feeling old yet?" type topic to post this in but found nothing that wouldn't have needed a drastic bump, plus I thought this was a cool fact to discuss on its own.

Has anyone yet noticed that game year settings considered, playing GTA 3 (Set in 2001) in 2017 is going as far back in time as playing GTA Vice City (set in 1986) in 2002 (release date)? Almost 16 years it has been!

Post GTA3 games in the 3D era really focused on tapping into nostalgia and american culture throughout history. GTA3 however really had an unbiased view of its timeline as it was developed in parallel of its time setting.

Do you feel that GTA 3 represents the year in which it is set better, equally, or worse Vice City (Or San Andreas) did? And why do you think that?

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:28 PM

I don't think GTA 3 represents the early 2000s as much as Vice City represented the mid 1980s. Maybe because at the time, it just took place in the here and now and didn't need to reflect much on that (other than the Maibatsu SUV parodying all the big SUVs of the time), whereas Vice City constantly had to remind you that it took place in the 1980s. I'm not saying they did a bad job at it, I'm just saying they did it a lot more than III did. You could easily forget which year GTA 3 took place in if it wasn't for the music and a couple of the car designs. 

Now flash forward to GTA 5. You can't ignore any mention of the era it takes place in because it's all thrown in front of you. Not just in passing dialogue from pedestrians, but also in missions and almost everything else and it felt very hammy. So to answer your question, GTA 3 doesn't represent the year it's set in, but does that harm it? Of course not.

• Dingleman and ViceBoy69 like this

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Peon

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:51 PM

I agree there is nothing in GTA3 to make you think of the year its set in , ViceCity is in your face with 1980s culture. GTA IV goes someway to letting you know the year its set but not exactly. GTA5 as already says lets you know exactly what year your in.

I dont think Rockstar set out to have a defining year in GTA3 it was there first 3d GTA and they where still learning at that point, well to me anyway.

• universetwisters likes this

DragonpokeZ
  • DragonpokeZ

Special Vehicle Hoarder

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:40 AM

SA does have a moderate-high amount of 'this is 1992 right now boy' as well. Crack epidemic, a flow of rappers, trappers and hip-hop music, the gangbanging scene, hippies leftover from the 60s, cars, shady government agencies dying down but trying to pull themselves back up... If you think about it right now it's been 22 years since that

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:29 AM

It is a hard question to answer since Vice City and San Andreas depicted their eras really well. Since I don't live in the US (and especially New York) it is hard to me to think about it. Anyway I know that New York is a huge city with a lot of people and there isn't that much traffic and people on the streets of Liberty City but I guess this is due to the PS2 and PC limitations at the time. Another thing that I'm not sure if it is correct is the MSX FM radio. I'm not from the US and I'm not sure if it used to have developed a strong DnB culture back in 2001 (at least in New York) because I think that DnB was still most popular in UK. Probably this radio station exists because the creators of GTA3 are from the UK, who knows? And another thing about the soundtrack that comes to my mind is how they didn't depict that nu metal flow that the US had in the beginning of the century with the rise of so many nu metal bands like Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park.

But if we talk about the city and the people from the game I should say that GTA3 represents its era and place equally well

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users