Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA5 PC laptop to buy? (i7-6700HQ; 16GB RAM; GXT1060 6GB; 128 or 256GB

20 replies to this topic

Poll: Which laptop for 1080p60 medium/high online? (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Chassis

1. Asus GL702 (4 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Asus G753 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. HP Omen 17 (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Something else (please reply with it!) (2 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Processor

1. i5-6300HQ (0 votes [0.00%])

2. i7-6700HQ (1 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. i7-7700HQ (5 votes [71.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

4. Something else (please reply with it!) (1 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote
BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:48 PM Edited by BenMillard, 13 February 2017 - 06:53 PM.

Deadline to transfer to PC is 6 March 2017. That includes PS4 and Xbox 1 to PC!

I'm targeting rock-solid 1080p 60fps online with many players at medium to visual effects. I'd like good shadows and no pop-in. (Fibre optic broadband via PlusNet, 40mbps down 2mbps up, South-East London in the UK.) Anything around £1,500 is fine. I'm OM with opening the case to upgrade SSD if the 'double purchase' provides a decent performance bump - SATA3 to NVMe for example.

Laptop Shortlist by Review

Spoiler

Laptops in Online Shops

Spoiler

Background

Spoiler

Ruled Out but open to new information

Spoiler

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★☆★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:08 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 13 February 2017 - 07:11 PM.

i guess you only want a laptop?

if so it was already answered in a similar thread a couple of days, for 1500 your best deal is to grab a I7-6700hq / gtx 1070.

http://gtaforums.com...get-for-gaming/

https://www.amazon.c...1&keywords=1070
  • BenMillard likes this

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:26 PM

Interesting thread but I need 17" for 1920x1080 at 31 years old. (That one is 15".)

I'm in the UK and that's in the USA. Transfer window ends in 3 short weeks. Customs charges can be a killer, too.

However...this says free deliver 17-20 February 2017 in the checkout phase which would be OK:

£1,537.54 Asus [ROG Strix] GL702 i7-6700; 16GB RAM; GTX 1060 6GB; 512GB SSD (upgraded by reseller)

Not sure exactly what SSD it has. GL702s SKUs often have SATA AHCI not NVMe even though it's M.2 on a PCIe x4 connector.

MechanicMammal
  • MechanicMammal

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:03 PM Edited by MechanicMammal, 13 February 2017 - 11:05 PM.

One option is to use any PC to purchase the game and transfer your profile so it is ready for the bargain laptop to come along,

All the laptops you mention should do the job not sure if a ssd is needed as when online you are waiting for other peoples systems to load anyway,

GTA is not that hardware intensive a 3 year old laptop like mine will play the game as well if not better than a xbone or PS4 and would look amazing if I had been playing it on the 360 or ps3.

• BenMillard likes this

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:30 PM Edited by BenMillard, 15 February 2017 - 06:43 PM.

You're right, all of these will pwn the experience on original gen consoles. That's a worthwhile reminder; perhaps I'm getting a bit bogged down in details which don't matter.

Do you think the i5-6300HQ would be powerful enough for 20-30 player game modes or the more intense moments in Heists?

Just found a beautiful GL702 "Titanium Gold" version with a silver case. "Be still, my beating heart!" The two-tone G752 was the prettiest I found but it's heavy with a big footprint. This is about £200 more for the same spec but i7-7700HQ and PCIe SSD instead of the standard SATA 3 SKUs. Very tempted...

£1,600 Asus [ROG Strix] GL702VM (Kaby Lake): i7-7700HQ; 16GB RAM (2400Mhz because HM175 chipset); GTX 1060 6GB; 256GB PCIe SSD; still just 2.7kg. (£1,700 with 512GB upgrade.)
71b48x7uSRL._SL1500_.jpg

It's just so pretty...but it might not get here until 4 March 2017. :panic:

MechanicMammal
  • MechanicMammal

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:34 PM

I think that the i5 will work fine, it is about on par with my older i7 and my CPU runs the whole game fine, My bottleneck is with my GPU which is a GT635M 2 gig which restricts my settings (mostly high at 1080p) and Frame rate (30-35fps with no drops some would turn there nose up at this but both the PS4 and Xbone run at under 30) but you will not have that issue with the cards you are looking at I am sure.

The 4th of March is not far away now it does look pretty cool. :)

• BenMillard likes this

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:46 PM Edited by BenMillard, 15 February 2017 - 11:29 PM.

Good to know. 30fps is way more than PS3 when things get busy. Most reviewers say i7 for chaotic online moments locked in at 60fps.

Would you say Steam is the best way to get GTA5? Half price to £20 at the moment! Should I start downloading it on the old laptop as it's 65GB + many GB of DLC? (40Mbps fibre broadband as measured.)

You're right, all of these will pwn the experience on original gen consoles. That's a worthwhile reminder; perhaps I'm getting a bit bogged down in details which don't matter.

But then I see GTA5 dropping to 40fps in a review on Asus's website:
perf-gtav.gif
Without seeing the settings they used I can't tell how relevant this is. The sudden drop about 6 ticks from the left looks like something started running in the background.

HIDevolution have great customer support: Customising a GL702 "Titanium Pro" with a Samsung 960 Evo 500GB NVMe SSD would have to be done in their USA centre. There's a queue and then shipping time, express options would get it here in time. But the big hit is taxes: it would end up about £1,900! But I got straight answers from relaxed staff when I called their UK proxy number.

£1,711 (+£80 express delivery) GL702 "Titanium Pro" from Amazon UK as above but with 512GB "HIDevolution approved" NVMe could be in my possession next week. There's just a slight lottery about which drive it would have:

We use various SSD models from major OEM manufacturers like Samsung, Toshiba, Kingston, etc. Unfortunately we would not be able to confirm publicly which specific model of SSD is being used. You can be assured that the SSD is a M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 type SSD and will be very fast.

Compared to my SATA2 SSD in the Dell 17R N7010 and the upgraded PS3, it's going to be on another level. And it will get here in time, from an honest seller with a UK support number.

Sold!

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★☆★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:37 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 16 February 2017 - 03:39 PM.

you are fine with any of those processors, ive said it in another thread but maybe you got confused about it, the i6-6600k (desktop version)  can hit 90% load and more (and ill provide pictures if needed) but its for a few seconds and quickly gets back down, also it is keeping up with a gtx1080 running on Ultra-wide QHD (3440x1440) with everything on very high and all advance settings On, and it still rocking solid 70-80 Fps in the city. if it was a consern i would just use v-sync and set it to run at max 60fps and tone down on settings.

I never get any stutter bcuz of it but ill not garantee they do not happen, it may be the G-sync that dont let them be seen.

i personally wouldnt game on a laptop i already spend my day in front of one working and like something a bit better to game during the evening but  i undestrand that for some people that is the only option.

i would try to get a gtx1070 if i could get it in my budget, but at 1080p in a 15" or 17" screen maybe it doesnt need that many AA's so a gtx 1060 may be more then enough.

• BenMillard likes this

MechanicMammal
  • MechanicMammal

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:16 PM

I have the steam version and can not complain about it, works fine and if it is cheaper then cool I got mine during a sale.

TBH I do not think you will notice a drop to 40 fps for a few tenths of a second occasionally shame the graph you posted does not show the time divisions on the bottom row but I guess each line is a minute maybe.

• BenMillard likes this

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:18 AM Edited by BenMillard, 17 February 2017 - 03:20 AM.

Good info from you both, cheers.

@Hardstyle_83, do you mean the desktop i5-6600K? To keep up with [email protected] on an i5 is quite awesome. Is it overclocked - I read they equal i7 for single core performance if cooled well? It ranks a little higher and has and twice the TDP (91W vs 45W) than laptop i7-6700HQ.

Laptop i7-7700HQ actually ranks a little higher than the i5-6600K even with the TDP staying at 45W. It seems a strong choice! GTA5 seems to like more cores; mixed reviews about whether hyper-threading helps it that much. (The ranking is the other way around for single core.) Maybe background tasks will keep out of the way better with 8 virtual cores? I'd like to run GTA Online windowed while waiting for friends and events.

Yes, everyone seems to think GTX 1060 is the sweet spot for 1080p with medium/high details and solid 60fps. I even thought of Asus GL753 with GTX 1050 or 1050 Ti. It has the small footprint. But the DVD drive makes it thicker and I want to escape from the optical disk noise of the PS3. DVD on the right means hotter components move left, nearer the keyboard hand. Fans work harder or surface temperature get noticeable. All spinning storage looks obsolete compared to NVMe.

Medium details is fine and slight jaggies are OK. But I would appreciate good shadows. I read that can be tough but GTX 1070 didn't seem value for money. Really lush grass and vegetation might have to wait for my gaming tower, in 2018 or beyond?

@MechanicMammal, thanks for the recommendation. I've just bought the Steam version of GTA5 as it's half price (£20 in UK) until 21 February 2017. The site looks so 1990s but is very slick and comprehensive in its feature set. R* Social Club could learn from lessons from it.

One minute per x axis sample seems reasonable. But that would mean 40fps average over 1 minute to spike the graph? It might be per second during a 5-10 minute benchmarking run, with momentary drops like you suggest. Either way, the review is a bit vague so I'm pretty confident this system will rock.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★☆★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:11 AM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 17 February 2017 - 11:13 AM.

Good info from you both, cheers.

@Hardstyle_83, do you mean the desktop i5-6600K? To keep up with [email protected] on an i5 is quite awesome. Is it overclocked - I read they equal i7 for single core performance if cooled well? It ranks a little higher and has and twice the TDP (91W vs 45W) than laptop i7-6700HQ.

its not 4k its 1440p in ultrawide (21:9) not nearly as heavy as 4k  but more pixels them 1440p (4.9M pixels vs 3.6M pixels) i might get a 4k monitor in the future but i want to buy a second gtx1080 first

YWEikgs.jpg

i though about switching to the new kaby lake i7-7700k but i dont think it would be that mutch of an improvement, at least not 400$ worth. im happy with it, its running with a simple overclock at 4.5Ghz (by just switching the multiplier, no extra voltage) and its watercooled (just for the looks to be honest, i dont like huge fans in it).

also, for gaming any of those processors are good, what really makes the difference is the Gpu.

• BenMillard likes this

LevelDockSix
  • LevelDockSix

Sure Shot

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • India

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:11 AM

There's nothing wrong with having a gaming laptop, especially if you travel a lot. If you plan on just keeping it at home then yes, I highly advise you just opt for building a PC.

Also, my now outdated 970M (which is equivalent to a GTX 760) runs the game nearly maxed out at 1080p (apart from Advanced Graphics, its only mildly turned up there) at 70+ frames, so a GTX1060 enabled laptop should be just fine for your requirements.

aligolnabi
  • aligolnabi

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:32 PM

lenovo y500 is pretty good

oh that looks nice

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:19 PM Edited by ~Tiger~, 20 February 2017 - 04:25 PM.

My new laptop arrived today! Plugged it in, started the system, see normal activity on the status lights...but...screen stays blank.

Saw one or two people report this for Asus systems but can't believe this is the state of my system. HIDevolution customise the spec of this and their automated e-mails tell me the system underwent full testing before it is sent out.

Their support line opens about an hour from now. I'll keep you informed what they say. Will keep searching to see how other cases got resolved. With the deadline just 2 weeks away I'm really worried I'll miss the transfer and will explain that on the call.

There's no point having a gaming laptop if I can't transfer my years of PS3 progress.

MechanicMammal
  • MechanicMammal

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:56 PM

That is a bit rubbish and must be very disappointing for you :(

Just download it on something else to transfer your profile and then transfer all of steam over when you finally get a replacement, lots of downloading but may be the only option.

But I expect/hope that they will sort it before 2 weeks.

I am not that keen on purchasing online for delivery for that reason (and I worked briefly in a delivery firm depot and saw things that put me off sending anything), and I am also impatient I want it as soon as it is paid for lol.

I once did buy a Dell online and because I wanted a upgraded spec it took ages to come and when it arrived it worked mostly lol but things like the Web cam never did! but that did not bother me so I did not send it back, 3 years later it got a fault with the on/off switch due to wear as it was out of warranty and I am quite practical and good with electronics I decided to pull it apart to fix and clean it out and discovered that the webcam had never been plugged in :) I just laughed.

• BenMillard likes this

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:13 PM Edited by BenMillard, 20 February 2017 - 11:15 PM.

After a couple of calls with the competent technical staff at HIDevolution, we spent an hour taking it apart and re-seating components. No change. Always black screen, it just glows.

A lot of IPS glow and definite region backlight bleed in lower right corner. Disappointing. Hopefully this one got dropped or mis-handled during their upgrade, to explain the fact it doesn't work. The replacement shouldn't have this bleed.

While I had it open I saw the 512GB SSD they upgraded to was the Samsung SM951. AWESOME! Hopefully I will 'win' again in their SSD supply situation, getting an SM951 in the replacement. That would remove the only reservation I had ordering this particular spec.

They've told me to order another one, which is now done, with the same express shipping. That should arrive between Wednesday and Friday this week so still plenty of time before the GTA5 transfer deadline. If it works!

The first one is being collected by DHL tomorrow. Return label is paid for by HIDevolution and printed out. I get the refund for the first one when they receive it. (We've confirmed it's a serious fault after all the steps taken over the phone.)

The chassis is darker than I expected, much darker than MacBook and much heavier pattern. After the initial surprise it really grew on me. After opening it up several times and seeing how neat and compact the internals are, really loving this. Sure beats a generic black plastic chassis. (For £150-200 more than same spec, though.)

• LevelDockSix likes this

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:50 PM Edited by BenMillard, 28 February 2017 - 09:18 PM.

The replacement arrived last Thursday and works great. GTA Online with 20 players, Freemode Events, combat, dogfights, it just walks through everything.

Only 2 or 3 times in 10+ hours of gaming I've seen FPS drop for a couple of seconds, probably a background process starting up. My old N7010 had years of tweaking; I got the free Windows 10 upgrade this time last year. It passive cools with 100 tabs open, until a web page with bloated rotating adverts or embedded video starts up.

The GL702 fans shift massive amounts of air when gaming and the screen is locked to 75Hz. Internal temperatures barely get over 50°C and I'm playing with nearly default PC settings. I can probably turn down some of the visual effects and retain the amazing texture clarity. The user is shielded from much of the noise, like a driver shielded from engine noise. If you move your head behind the screen it's about twice as noisy! Great chassis design.

http://images.akamai...10E256365411A9/

The upward facing speakers work brilliantly for music. You really get a stereo effect since the sound isn't bounced off the table, below your arms, like so many laptops. Left side can be covered by typing hand, if you start hunching too much.

Text looks amazing, I was so worried 1920x1080 would be hard even on 17" with correct sitting position. The contrast and fidelity between neighbouring pixels is sublime. 1600x900 on my N7010 looks big but the edges aren't as good. (ClearType defaults or sub-pixel grid or 1st gen i5 integrated graphics versus nVidia GTX I guess? Different DirectX version, maybe.)

BenMillard on Steam is me. Loving the new content in GTA5! Simple Freemode Events like longest wheelie are surprisingly fun. Did a couple of Import/Export as an Associate for a laid-back player I met by chance. Did all the Special Vehicle missions as Associate, too. Joined a couple of Lamar Lowrider DLC missions. Most of these were hard enough to be exciting but don't suffer to weirdly strict completion criteria of Heists. My screenshots from GTA5 on Steam.

http://images.akamai...9E0EBA040F9710/

Combat was something I hated on PS3 and mouse aiming is the biggest difference I wanted to try. It works great! Really, really happy to skip the pointless x86 console generation and get my twitch aiming back like Unreal Tournament from 1999. :D

http://images.akamai...41FBDF5668ED38/

Using earphones for now so the sound can be heard clearly over the fans. It's the air movement, not so much the motors, which my mind soon filters out like natural wind or rain noise. Letting the temperatures go higher and bringing some graphics features down is OK to make it quieter.

• LevelDockSix and MechanicMammal like this

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★☆★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:22 PM

congrats on your ascencion :^:

• BenMillard likes this

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:42 AM

Only 2 or 3 times in 10+ hours of gaming I've seen FPS drop for a couple of seconds, probably a background process starting up. 

Probably throttling and quickly throwing out some heat - all-in-one's do this, too. No big deal, glad you got it sorted and are happy with the purchase, fingers crossed it lasts a couple years too :^:

• BenMillard likes this

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:41 AM Edited by BenMillard, 05 March 2017 - 01:42 AM.

In GTA5 I've changed V-Sync to Half which, as you'd expect, gives 37fps or 38fps instead of 75fps. About half the noise and still smoother than any console. :tup:

Not quite as buttery dreamy smooth as 75fps but about half the noise! Can use the speakers and it's all quite civilised in the study.

Would raise some eyebrows and British "tuts" in a library but I'm not expecting 1080p open world 3D gaming to passive cool. :D

@TheHumanIsland it might be my e-mail program grabbing e-mails on the 15 minute timer. Also have a calendar with multiple subscriptions (for motorsport) and the People hub thing. Also sometimes leave OneNote open (garage management, cars to buy, apartments to take a look around) and so on. I sign into Windows with my Microsoft account, so it might sync many things at any time.

There's also Windows Update, Windows Defender and some annoying background tasks like SleepStudy that I haven't tried to squash yet. (Old laptop had a year of tracing and tweaking stuff like that.)

• LevelDockSix likes this

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:34 AM

rip :tup:

I am genuinely confused as well. Did I miss something? anyway, greets cerbw, <3 Miss you and everyone else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users