What happened to Vice City?

36 replies to this topic
Osric
  • Osric

White Trash Weeb

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:22 PM

Personally, I'd like to see a new city like Chicago or Detroit. Especially Chicago, or as it's known as in this day and age, Chiraq.

I'm working on rough drafts for a Carcer City concept based on Chicago.

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:37 PM

gta needs a new location how about Hawaii. one major city based on Honolulu a chain of smaller inhabitable island for safehouses a smaller city exotic animals and volcanoes. instead of 3 protags make it two one male two female for a bonnie and clyde type storie. this time no character switch they are a live in couple and the gameplay will be co op switch like in Arkham knight when nightwing or catwoman joins in. a friend or random online player can join and play as the second character anytime like in saints row 3. beautiful environment , sunsets , parasailing , surfing etc.

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:24 PM Edited by Queen Elizabeth II, 01 April 2017 - 07:24 PM.

Go play Just Cause.

• Oldsport likes this

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

Go play Just Cause.

no just cause is too over the top I played sleeping dogs before wasn't that made by the same publisher also doesn't just cause take place in south America? I don't think Hawaii was used before that's why I brought it up

Oldsport
  • Oldsport

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:48 AM

Go play Just Cause.

no just cause is too over the top I played sleeping dogs before wasn't that made by the same publisher also doesn't just cause take place in south America? I don't think Hawaii was used before that's why I brought it up

I dont think theres much crime in hawaii but i may be wrong?? And other than its beauty and volcanoes , i dont think hawaii is that interesting. Id rather see a gta set in jamaica or the virgin islands

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

If you look at GTA's "Big 3" cities (Liberty City, Los Santos, and Vice City), you'll notice that Vice City has yet to make an appearance in the HD Universe. Why do you think Vice City has been neglected so far? Do you expect the city to make an HD appearance? Discuss.

My theory is that it has to do with Miami's history in real life. During the 1980's, drug activity was huge, and it caused an economic boom for the city of Miami. Luxury car dealerships, hotels, nightclubs, etc were popping up overnight. As a result, Miami was at the front line when it came to world class. But by the 2000's, the United States government was cracking down on drug imports/exports, causing Miami's economy to slow. By then, Miami lost its relevance as a well-known world class city.

The GTA franchise most likely followed this history during the transition from the 3D Universe to the HD Universe. In terms of contemporary culture, Miami was falling behind rival GTA-inspiration cities New York and Los Angeles, and Rockstar was focusing their eyes on those two cities instead. If GTA IV and GTA V (especially Online) are any indication, Rockstar is going to want the franchise to stay modern. Another Vice City game could mean going back to the 1980's which would limit the types of vehicles Rockstar could put into the game as part of any future updates.

The same can be said for Los Angeles gang culture in the early 90s. Rockstar covered that era to great effect with San Andreas and then went on to make a game based on glitz and glamour in Los Santos in GTA V. Miami is even more glamorous now than is was in the 1980s while still having an abundance of ghettos where gang crime is still very much a real thing. Therefore there would be more of a case for a modern Miami than there is/was for a modern day Los Santos. Is essence nothing has really changed.. drug cartels are still at large and the Miami PD are still fighting a losing battle against them despite being more equipped. To be honest though I don't think Rockstar can do the area justice now if their last offering is anything to go by. A modern day Miami would give them ample oppertunities to copy The Fast and Furious in Online though so who knows it may still be on the cards.

Vice Beach
  • Vice Beach

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:26 PM

I wish GTA V would have taken place in Vice City, and saved San Andreas for the next gen. There's really no reason it couldn't have, all three protagonists from V would have fit seamlessly into a Miami/Everglades location. Franklin could have still been a young uprising gang member, Michael could still be a rich Miami ex-criminal living in witness protection, Trevor could have been from some swampy country region, the story would have been the exact same. A map the size of V would have better suited a south Florida region imo, and saved a huge city like LS and the sprawling country side and desert would have been almost double the size if they had saved it for PS4/XB1 gen.

The next GTA will most likely be placed in VC as it's the only one left. I'm all for that as it's my favorite GTA city. Though I wouldn't put it past R* to surprise us with a brand new location we've yet to see in a GTA game, like Carcer City, or something completely brand new.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users