What happened to Vice City?

36 replies to this topic
Giantsgiants
  • Giantsgiants

Boss

• Members
  • Mauritius

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:11 AM

If you look at GTA's "Big 3" cities (Liberty City, Los Santos, and Vice City), you'll notice that Vice City has yet to make an appearance in the HD Universe. Why do you think Vice City has been neglected so far? Do you expect the city to make an HD appearance? Discuss.

My theory is that it has to do with Miami's history in real life. During the 1980's, drug activity was huge, and it caused an economic boom for the city of Miami. Luxury car dealerships, hotels, nightclubs, etc were popping up overnight. As a result, Miami was at the front line when it came to world class. But by the 2000's, the United States government was cracking down on drug imports/exports, causing Miami's economy to slow. By then, Miami lost its relevance as a well-known world class city.

The GTA franchise most likely followed this history during the transition from the 3D Universe to the HD Universe. In terms of contemporary culture, Miami was falling behind rival GTA-inspiration cities New York and Los Angeles, and Rockstar was focusing their eyes on those two cities instead. If GTA IV and GTA V (especially Online) are any indication, Rockstar is going to want the franchise to stay modern. Another Vice City game could mean going back to the 1980's which would limit the types of vehicles Rockstar could put into the game as part of any future updates.

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:20 PM Edited by GTA-Biker, 11 February 2017 - 12:20 PM.

I think it's still too early to say R* ditched Vice City,since so far there have been only two major games in HD universe.I think we'll probably see VC in some future game (same with Las Venturas and San Fierro).

Also,it's not impossible for R* to decide to make GTA games set in some of the past decades again.Not having any modern cars and bikes wouldn't make the game any less good,look at VC or SA (and R* could still add new vehicles in DLCs,but they would all be classic cars and bikes).

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

Mojave Courier
  • Mojave Courier

gregg rulz ok

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:08 PM

GTA VI will most likely be in Vice City, I hope they will make it a HD universe prequel set in the 80s, so it could give more backstory on characters from GTA IV and V.

• FilipCRO and Ivan1997GTA like this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:28 PM

Basically what you said. All cities inspiring 3D era games had things going on for them: Miami had drug cartels and night life, Los Angeles had gang warfares, New York Mafias, etc. Nowadays most of these things are gone or toned down a lot. Miami nowadays is basically Los Angeles, but without the rich millenials and with rich retired old people, it wouldn't fit a GTA anymore. Sure, it's Rockstar, and they could make another gang warfare there. I also hope the next GTA will be on Vice City, I want to explore the city and see how it changed, if Tommy's mansion is still standing, if the Malibu Club is still in business, etc, but I think Rockstar would go to another grunge-y location, like Carcer or back to Liberty City.

• Mister Pink likes this

Sharp_shooter
  • Sharp_shooter

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:55 PM

Basically what you said. All cities inspiring 3D era games had things going on for them: Miami had drug cartels and night life, Los Angeles had gang warfares, New York Mafias, etc. Nowadays most of these things are gone or toned down a lot. Miami nowadays is basically Los Angeles, but without the rich millenials and with rich retired old people, it wouldn't fit a GTA anymore. Sure, it's Rockstar, and they could make another gang warfare there. I also hope the next GTA will be on Vice City, I want to explore the city and see how it changed, if Tommy's mansion is still standing, if the Malibu Club is still in business, etc, but I think Rockstar would go to another grunge-y location, like Carcer or back to Liberty City.

Yeah but its Florida which means lots of rednecks doing the craziest crimes, and there are lots of young rich people who go to Miami to party and do drugs, drugs are still a pretty big thing in Miami. Also they could do a story about a criminal who tries to put crime back into Vice City.

Crime rate in Miami

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Moonraker.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:20 AM

I think a modern day Vice City could easily work. It's an easily recognisable, unique city with an interesting culture. There's plenty of places Rockstar could go with the map, mashing up the Miami Metro area, the everglades, redneck towns, maybe a couple small islands. It's got a sun drenched beaches, alligator infested swamps, terrible ghettos, ecstasy fuelled clubs, rich resorts. Miami still has a thriving underworld; Black and Latino street gangs, Haitians, Jamaicans, Cartels, Mafioso, Israeli Mobs, Russians. Also, Florida is still culturally relevant as a hot bed for craziness, just look at this article:

https://www.vice.com...ica-florida-man

Just watch these videos and tell me you can't see a GTA set here:

• Mr. Fartenhate, Pastry and The Deadite like this

Jacek_K
  • Jacek_K

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:24 PM

GTA VI will most likely be in Vice City, I hope they will make it a HD universe prequel set in the 80s, so it could give more backstory on characters from GTA IV and V.

Nah, I think the new GTA's will always be set in present times

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:44 PM Edited by Yinepi, 18 February 2017 - 03:45 PM.

If you look at GTA's "Big 3" cities (Liberty City, Los Santos, and Vice City), you'll notice that Vice City has yet to make an appearance in the HD Universe. Why do you think Vice City has been neglected so far? Do you expect the city to make an HD appearance? Discuss.

The only thing modern Miami has going for it is the nightlife and "springbreak" party scene. The city is boring and uninteresting without the 1980s feel.

But regardless of that, it seem with HD era Rockstar is doing same pattern they do with GTA1 (LC, SA then VC) where as 3-Era VC was reversed.

• SmokesWithCigs likes this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:31 PM

So, every city has to appear in every universe? What about Las Venturas? San Fierro? The dozens of small towns in San Andreas? And Anywhere, London and Manchester, that haven't had another appearance since the 2D era? I personally don't expect Vice to appear in the HD era, but who knows for sure? it's Rockstar we're talking about. We'll probably only know that when (if) they release the first trailer.

Donatello
  • Donatello

Anyone for stickball? I've got a stick. You be the ball.

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:40 PM

I'm honestly hoping they don't bring back Vice anytime soon. I want a new city in a new state.
  • Cluckin' Bell and AUScowboy like this

CarnageRacing00
  • CarnageRacing00

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:29 PM

Most of Vice City's charm was the 80's aesthetic. Modern day Miami, other than being a beautiful city, isn't really a major cornerstone of modern American society the way it was in the 80's. Los Angeles and New York still are, for sure, but Miami not so much. 

If you look at Liberty City, there's an immigration story as old as time. NY has always been the welcome mat of the United States, and remains so to this day. NY is such a dense and culturally diverse place that you can tell mafia stories, gang stories, immigrant stories, and they all fit in just about any era.

California has the overarching theme of Hollywood excess abutted to gangland poverty that is many decades old. The LA riots that San Andreas was mostly based on may be an early 90's thing specifically, but not much has really changed.

Miami's big distinction was the Columbian drug trade that led to the city's deadliest year ever, 1981. Since then, things have tapered down significantly and while there's still some ongoing immigration problems, Miami isn't distinct in its strife anymore. Vice City was the perfect culmination of time and place, I just don't think a modern day Vice City would offer anything more than yet another sunny, palm tree laden landscape. It would be visually beautiful and that's about where its offerings end.

Not saying I wouldn't WANT to see Vice City again, but I'd rather see a different location at this point than retread old ground that's been stripped of what made it special - the 80's aesthetic. 

I'd rather see Carcer City/Detroit. There's PLENTY of story to tell there, and Michigan is a perfect little slice of land that can be amalgamated into a GTA-sized landscape easily enough. You can have the Urban Decay and crime of Detroit, the sunny beaches and sand dunes of the western shore, the hills, trees, vineyards and clear water of Northern Michigan and all the farm land in between. This would also be a great time for Rockstar to tinker with REAL snowfall/accumulation which would have an effect on gameplay.

• Jabalous and ROCKSTAR MANIC like this

Gunnalingus
  • Gunnalingus

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:59 PM

You don't need to go back to the 80s. Miami is still a f*cked up place when it comes to crime. I am hoping that they would do something similar with Vice City to what they did with Los Santos back in 2004. They should create a full Florida state with 3 big cities and Florida/Georgia/Southern US  countryside. GTAV always felt like half assed version of San Andreas to me. Original San Andreas felt twice as big and it featured more realistic Los Angeles.

CarnageRacing00
  • CarnageRacing00

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

You don't need to go back to the 80s. Miami is still a f*cked up place when it comes to crime. I am hoping that they would do something similar with Vice City to what they did with Los Santos back in 2004. They should create a full Florida state with 3 big cities and Florida/Georgia/Southern US  countryside. GTAV always felt like half assed version of San Andreas to me. Original San Andreas felt twice as big and it featured more realistic Los Angeles.

But what does modern day Miami offer in terms of crime that you can't find in just about any other major city in the country? What is unique to Miami? Is there a unique story that can be told there? Maybe there is, I'm asking.

Also not sure how you figure SA featured a more realistic Los Angeles... GTA V is damned near a photo perfect recreation, just shrunk down.

I also think the reason so many people think SA felt "bigger" is for two reasons:

1. Everything was shrouded in fog so you had no perception of distance. You could stand at one end of the street and the other end would not be visible due to draw distance/fog, and that plays a trick on the mind, making the space seem larger. 

2. The map was unlocked piece by piece over the course of the game, not all at once, so as you played through the story you reached these moments where an entire new area was revealed to you, and you began the whole exploration phase all over again. Since the entirety of GTA V's map is open from the start, I can bet that most players probably ditched the story and explored the entire map as soon as they could, so then what happens is you're left with about 30ish hours of gameplay in a map that you've already seen every square inch of. In San Andreas, you had a 30ish hour campaign where new areas were unlocked every so often, keeping the exploration fresh. 

Jabalous
  • Jabalous

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:41 PM

GTA Vice City was inspired by the 80s, movies and popular culture of that time, so if there was no reason to go back to the city, then don't expect it to be featured in VI or any upcoming GTA game. Even if  Miami (Vice City) is filled with crime today, it doesn't mean that R* should revisit the setting again, because there are many other factors that play a role in the selection of the next setting. I'm not judging here, but I assume that the fans calling for a revisit to VC are mostly blinded by nostalgia and don't have the foresight to realize that a VC setting would look visually too similar to V's Los Santos, something that I wouldn't wish for since we will not be getting a new game for a long time. We have to go to setting with the least similarities to LS.

The quote below, which is taken from an Asked&Answered post on R*'s website, is related to this topic.

“Rockstar, can I assume that ONE of the reasons that led you to choose São Paulo as a setting for Max Payne 3 is because of your continuous attempt to set your games in different parts of the world, hence re-creating different cultures and scenery in your games rather than sticking to re-created versions of USA cities?” – CDTOE-1809

The reason we did is we thought the city was interesting, both visually and socially, and a logical place for Max to end up, as you can see when you play the game. We are happy making games set in versions of New York or  L.A., or in Timbuktu. There is no agenda or master plan in this regard. Just what we believe works well for the proposed gameplay and story and will be visually interesting.

• Payne Killer likes this

ROCKSTAR MANIC
  • ROCKSTAR MANIC

The Vice City Coke Baron

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:40 PM

Like I have said, When we go back to VIce city. It will be based on the drug trade, and the story of a young latino man. The rise to power will be ferocious with rival cartels wanting the take of the drug trade. Excess and Corruption with fill the street with everyone and anyone wanting a take of the action. Drug dealing with be implemented like Chinatown wars. Thats what I hope.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:49 AM Edited by Zello, 27 February 2017 - 07:59 AM.

I'm more surprised that another developer hasn't swooped in and set an open world game in Miami aside from that Scarface game and parts of Driver 3 both came out a long time ago. Imagine if Volition set a Saints Row game in a version of Miami or when True Crime and Luxoflux were still around and Activision was still interested in making open world games a True Crime game in Miami.

• LincolnClay likes this

LincolnClay
  • LincolnClay

F*ck Take Two Interactive...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:36 AM

I'm more surprised that another developer hasn't swooped in and set an open world game in Miami aside from that Scarface game and parts of Driver 3 both came out a long time ago. Imagine if Volition set a Saints Row game in a version of Miami or when True Crime and Luxoflux were still around and Activision was still interested in making open world games a True Crime game in Miami.

Yeah, just noticed that. Sh*t is crazy, dawg.

I'm really hoping the next GTA game is in Vice City. I don't care if it's modern or back in the past, I just need Vice City either way. It's been far too long.

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:11 PM

I think it's because Miami isn't as relevant as it was in the 80s, crime isn't as huge as it once was and other than that, it's basically a less interesting Los Angeles, with rich people, nightlife and expensive hotels while a few blocks down the city is ruled by crime and poverty. I'd personally love another game set in Vice because of the nostalgic value, maybe we can see what happened to Vice's points of interest. Tommy's businesses and safehouses, etc. But Rockstar tries to vary the theme of its games very often, so the Tropical millionare's place and gang infested city for this decade was Los Santos, I'm expecting either something more grunge-y like Carcer or a slim possibility of Liberty again (maybe in another time period) or more focused on Gangs like San Andreas' begining and ending. But then again, It's Rockstar we're talking about, let's see where all that Shark Cards money is going into.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:19 AM

I think it's because Miami isn't as relevant as it was in the 80s, crime isn't as huge as it once was and other than that, it's basically a less interesting Los Angeles, with rich people, nightlife and expensive hotels while a few blocks down the city is ruled by crime and poverty. I'd personally love another game set in Vice because of the nostalgic value, maybe we can see what happened to Vice's points of interest. Tommy's businesses and safehouses, etc. But Rockstar tries to vary the theme of its games very often, so the Tropical millionare's place and gang infested city for this decade was Los Santos, I'm expecting either something more grunge-y like Carcer or a slim possibility of Liberty again (maybe in another time period) or more focused on Gangs like San Andreas' begining and ending. But then again, It's Rockstar we're talking about, let's see where all that Shark Cards money is going into.

Still nothing is stopping a company like EA, or Ubisoft or any other company out there to make an open world game set in 1980's Miami

Johnny Spaz
  • Johnny Spaz

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:32 AM

If R* could make a story in LS (LA) which has nothing really going on for it (gangs are losing relevance, drugs aren't as present) they can do it in Vice City (Miami).
  • RegistaG likes this

Oldsport
  • Oldsport

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:54 PM

Vice City could still work. Miami, The haitians from the original game would most likely be evolved into a zoe pound type game. They are basically running miami right now. Further in the more florida parts there could be rednecks and stuff. They could have biker gangs also. Dominican gangs have mostly took the latin cartel spot. Idk what the game would be about but it can work

CarnageRacing00
  • CarnageRacing00

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:05 PM

If R* could make a story in LS (LA) which has nothing really going on for it (gangs are losing relevance, drugs aren't as present) they can do it in Vice City (Miami).

That's why GTA V's story wasn't about those things.

It was about Franklin trying to leave the dying ways of gang life behind for something bigger, but never really finding his place where he fits in.

It was about Michael suffering a mid-life crisis and looking for adventure, despite having millions of dollars and a family that, if not for his own failures, would be ideal.

It was about Trevor trying to make his name in the drug trade, which has degenerated into a hopeless, aimless mess of addicts scrambling for their claim of territory with no real long term goal in mind.

GTA V is about the aimless nature of life for many people in this era, always searching for a purpose but coming up short- because our society is aimless and lost, with no purpose. We have no clear enemies to fight, no faith in an eternal reward, no desire to put in hours to work hard and earn luxuries because we can just buy it all on credit and hope we die before they come to collect.

And where else to establish home base for your story about superficial, spoiled, aimless, hopeless and desperate citizens of a brooding nation that the very epicenter of it all - Los Angeles?
  • Osric and Loosestring like this

jaljax
  • jaljax

Vice Squad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:49 AM Edited by jaljax, 23 March 2017 - 02:50 AM.

Gta VI will most likely be in Vice City, but hopefully they make it really good because The Benz is no longer with Rockstar... i'm just trying to say that hopefully it will be great. It is going to be very different without The Benz making the next installment to the series.

Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

bummed

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:21 AM

gangs are losing relevance, drugs aren't as present

neither of these things are true

Oldsport
  • Oldsport

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:33 AM

Gta v would have fit miami/vice city better than Ls. Trevor could have been a redneck in the everglades swamp, michael could have been a retiree living with his family in a mansion and franklin could have been a zoe pound member. The story could have played out exactly the same , and they could have done a next gen los santos more justice

Arrow
  • Arrow

Bohemian Rhapsody

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:57 AM

Rockstar's probably working on a modern day theme for Vice City if it is to make an appearance in next GTA. San Andreas and Vice City featuring their respective cities are set in 90 and 80s respectively, making it easier to dwell on some post themes. Vice City had Miami vice references and San Andreas had a few queues from 90s Los Santos based riots. In GTA V, they adopted a more present day approach to Los Santos based on the present day LA. I'm sure they're planning to do it for Vice City by trying to base it on Miami.

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:11 PM

The only thing modern Miami has going for it is the nightlife and "springbreak" party scene. The city is boring and uninteresting without the 1980s feel.

But regardless of that, it seem with HD era Rockstar is doing same pattern they do with GTA1 (LC, SA then VC) where as 3-Era VC was reversed.

Miami nightlife is overated

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

I just hope that an HD remake of Vice City also takes place in the 1980s, like Tyla's Vice City concept. Not only crime was much more rampant during the 1980s in Miami, but also Miami in the present day would just be Los Santos on the other side of the country. A modern Vice City has literally nothing new to offer from V other than replacing the desert & mountains with the Everglades.

T. someone who lives in Florida

• ClaudeSpeed1911, Zello and Payne Killer like this

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

I'm sure it's drowned.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members