VBDec

RW Released
96 replies to this topic
Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:22 AM Edited by ΣΓ, 12 February 2017 - 09:24 AM.

That's your opinion, and really, with this, you can do your mod even easier as you can change what audio extension is loaded, no more having to mess with hardcoded values. For me, PS2 "MUSIC" folder is higher quality than MP3 on PC, especially on Vice City, not to mention the obvious note of having the full soundtrack in the most complete form by Rockstar.

One thing people seem to be attacking us about over this is how we set up the ini's but you know why we did that? To give you guys the damn choice! With these INI's you can have the game use whatever audio format you want, from the newly added VB, to full WAV mixes you make yourself, etc.

Thanks for the answer. I did some testing on some average speakers and high quality in ear headphones and most of the time I could not tell the difference or whichever version had the higher sampling rate sounded better but only slightly (of course, I could be biased). This is frustrating because I do want to have the best quality audio in my game.

Yeah. Exe editing kinda made me nervous. If you remove one space or dot by accident the executable becomes an invalid Win32 application. It happened to me but thankfully I managed to modify everything I needed and the game runs fine (no crashes or anything).

Marsi4eg
  • Marsi4eg

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:58 PM

Do I need to put audio_samples.asi to the root only or it will work from inside of 'scripts' folder?

Can't detect a difference in sound, what ps2 audio files sound really different from pc ones? (GTA3)

I'll reply to myself.

1) It does work from 'mss' folder too and doesn't work from 'scripts' folder

2) The possible way to understand is it working or no - create ini for any radio and change frequency, if it will be faster/slower ingame then it's working

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:19 PM

VBDec.asi is an ACTUAL ASI, so it needs to be in the mss folder. Audio_samples.asi pref should be in root with audio_samples.ini being in the audio folder.

It should be obvious if it's working or not with a quicker method, move the file the game is originally looking for out of the audio folder, if the game asks for a cd then it's not working.

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Spam Commando 2017
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:28 PM

May i ask how to extract each sfx from the sfx.raw on PS2?

The Hero
  • The Hero

Into TheGame!!!

• Feroci
  • Germany
  • Most Helpful Modding 2016 [Honorable mention]
    Best Script or Plugin 2016 [SkyGfx]
    Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:40 PM

This thread is proof that using the asi extension for non-mss plugins is stupid as f*ck. Please let's get rid of the stupidity and just use asi for mods like this one.
  • dkluin likes this

Claude_Lib
  • Claude_Lib

Talkative like never before

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:05 PM Edited by Claude_Lib, 13 February 2017 - 07:10 PM.

Why not use one single INI file that describes parameters for all files instead of having them pile up in /audio/ folder?

It's just easier this way for people to keep track which settings go for which file, this isn't JUST from the audio folder but also for the custom tracks folder (and possibly ModLoader).

Honestly, I can't say that I share the same thought, which probably means that my suggestion will never be considered, but still, can't it be optional to use one single INI which can be overridden by the individual ones if needed? Not everyone uses Custom Tracks, let alone plays VBs with it.

P.S. Or I guess I can simply skip creating INIs for the majority of VB files because they match the default settings anyway.

Marsi4eg
  • Marsi4eg

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:22 PM Edited by Marsi4eg, 13 February 2017 - 07:25 PM.

VBDec.asi is an ACTUAL ASI, so it needs to be in the mss folder. Audio_samples.asi pref should be in root with audio_samples.ini being in the audio folder.

It should be obvious if it's working or not with a quicker method, move the file the game is originally looking for out of the audio folder, if the game asks for a cd then it's not working.

Though, as I said - audio_samples.asi does work from 'mss' too and perfectly sees contents of 'audio' folder. I don't like garbage in root folders.

ThirteenAG
  • ThirteenAG

Gangsta

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:22 PM

This thread is proof that using the asi extension for non-mss plugins is stupid as f*ck. Please let's get rid of the stupidity and just use asi for mods like this one.

1dxet4.jpg#ActualImage
  • Jinx. likes this

Silent
  • Silent

Chief Vision™ Alterer

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [Modding] 2016
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Script/Plugin 2014 [SilentPatch]
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2014
    Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 [ViceCityStories PC Edition]
    Best Vehicle 2013 [III Aircraft]
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:34 PM Edited by Silent, 13 February 2017 - 10:34 PM.

P.S. Or I guess I can simply skip creating INIs for the majority of VB files because they match the default settings anyway.

Yes that's the point, creating files for vbs with stock preferences is pointless. That's why you're supposed to be OK with three or so ini files in audio dir.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:45 PM Edited by Ash_735, 13 February 2017 - 10:45 PM.

Yeah, defaults to 32000Hz and Stereo so you DON'T need an ini for those, if you're making an INI for those you're just applying the same settings back, you should only need an INI to denote NON-DEFAULTS, such as Chatterbox, VCPR, K-Chat, etc.

Rachel Amber
  • Rachel Amber

Hell Is Empty!

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:52 PM

Nice!

Kurropt Antagonist
  • Kurropt Antagonist

Playa

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:53 PM

In the VC audio-samples.ini why is miscom.mp3 listed 5 different times? Should all five be changed?

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:48 PM

In the VC audio-samples.ini why is miscom.mp3 listed 5 different times? Should all five be changed?

Ask Rockstar and yes, probably, just to be safe.
  • Silent likes this

Marsi4eg
  • Marsi4eg

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:00 PM

Wonder if something similar could be done for ps2 pss videos playback, to be able to put intro with blue police cars from pal v1.40 to pc gta3 without recompressing

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:06 PM Edited by Ash_735, 24 February 2017 - 06:07 PM.

Ehh, something CAN be done like it, we did it for BINK videos on San Andreas but it literally requires rewriting a new player because the default one is outdated ass, even by the time GTA3 came out, using old MPEG-1 was a weird choice. But seeing as it's such a small thing and most people skip or blank out the videos anyway (or use fastloader to get into game faster) it's not worth the time to work on.

edit: And just to clarify, PSS is MPEG-2 Video with LPCM Audio streams with a custom header, so the file format itself isn't a mystery.
  • Blackbird88 likes this

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:35 PM

Nope. It does not require a new player at all. Hold on a minute, I will do a lossless conversion for you guys to test in a moment (provided that I can convert PSS files).

For some reason intro videos don't play for me (it's all black) in III and VC but I know they work because I can hear the sound. It might be a Windows 10 issue.
  • Jsonic3000 likes this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:53 PM

For some reason intro videos don't play for me (it's all black) in III and VC but I know they work because I can hear the sound. It might be a Windows 10 issue.

This is why it requires a new player, thanks for playing. :p :D

Seriously though, the player on these is so unstable that most players just have the black screen bug and the weirdest stuff triggers it and at the same time, doesn't trigger it. I have working videos on San Andreas, I don't know why, GTA3 works too, but Vice City doesn't, it's not a Windows 10 thing as it's been happening since Vista.

Blackbird88
  • Blackbird88

DualShock 3 Buttons EVERYWHERE

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:55 PM Edited by Blackbird88, 24 February 2017 - 09:56 PM.

They only work properly in windowed mode. I am not 100% sure on this but I think I've heard somewhere they're rendered by DirectDraw which is broken as f*ck in fullscreen on W8+

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:10 PM

This is why it requires a new player, thanks for playing. :p :D

Seriously though, the player on these is so unstable that most players just have the black screen bug and the weirdest stuff triggers it and at the same time, doesn't trigger it. I have working videos on San Andreas, I don't know why, GTA3 works too, but Vice City doesn't, it's not a Windows 10 thing as it's been happening since Vista.

I wasn't talking about that. I just assumed there was a fix for the black screen and clearly not everyone gets this bug.

I'll tell you my secret. I use the Lagarith codec wrapped in an AVI container which is disguised as an MPG file (I just renamed the extension). The result is that you get lossless video at a decent size (Lagarith actually does some compression at no quality loss). You need to install the codec on your machine of course. BTW, which PSS file are we talking about? The PS2 version I have doesn't have blue police cars in the intro.

Claude_Lib
  • Claude_Lib

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:45 AM

BTW, which PSS file are we talking about? The PS2 version I have doesn't have blue police cars in the intro.

The very first PAL release was not fully patched to remove all NY and 9/11 references, it still had old intro with blue LCPD vehicles and some other stuff. More info here: https://youtu.be/SdiCBLiGkaA?t=4m38s

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:53 AM

Yeah, but does anyone have the file? I'd like to convert it.

Claude_Lib
  • Claude_Lib

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:28 AM

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

• Dealux likes this

Marsi4eg
  • Marsi4eg

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:32 AM

In Windows 10 I used to enable XP SP2 compatibility mode to make intros play in fullscreen. The only side-effect is Steam overlay doesn't work in that mode.

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Spam Commando 2017
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

In Windows 10 I used to enable XP SP2 compatibility mode to make intros play in fullscreen. The only side-effect is Steam overlay doesn't work in that mode.

or play with widescreen fix and set DXMaximizedWindowedMode shim to 1 in global.ini in scripts folder. Or use windowed borderless mode.

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:27 AM Edited by ΣΓ, 25 February 2017 - 01:40 PM.

After some trial an error with Sony Vegas which really sucks at interpreting\converting between color spaces, I managed to convert both intro videos to AVI (Lagarith) and I disguised them as MPG files. They technically work if you install the codec except that III doesn't seem to want to display video (just sound). Still, I did a test in SA to confirm that they work (aspect ratio looks weird due to the widescreen fix; it may be worth re-encoding them to a 16:9 aspect ratio).

Edit: See follow up posts.
  • Marsi4eg likes this

Marsi4eg
  • Marsi4eg

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:36 PM Edited by Marsi4eg, 25 February 2017 - 12:44 PM.

Nice. Your videos are really lossless but 3x heavier than original pc ones (46mb to 141mb)

I've also tried to convert those (but intropal.pss in my case). They're not lossless but I used the same codec as original pc files have (mpeg 1) and mpeg2 audio :lol:

GTAtitles: https://drive.google...UFVVMUV6a00wMFE

Logo: https://drive.google...c2g2dlVhNmNBYTg

Files have almost the same size as pss ones

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:38 PM

Hey dude, if you want to push this whole lossless thing, wouldn't it just be easier and saner to just remux the m2v and wav to become a full MPEG-2 stream. No need to convert, all these suggestions arnt a fix, merely a side step to the issue.

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:38 PM

The lossless idea wasn't mine. Marsi4eg brought up the idea of converting the original intro without re-compressing. Also, again, I wasn't at any point talking about any sort of fix. I was merely talking about being able to swap the intro videos with something else, namely with video files based on another codec. Intro videos do work for some people so I just assumed there was a fix somewhere.

As for your suggestion, yeah, that would make the most sense. I just didn't look into it. If you want to have the vids in the proper 16:9 aspect ratio then you kinda have to reconvert the videos, in which case lossless is the only way to go (because you need to adjust the resolution and add pillarboxing). Speaking of which, I have successfully re-rendered the intros with a 16:9 aspect ratio and the windowed script makes them play properly again (sadly, whatever player is used degrades the video quality somewhat, as if the video was played at a much lower resolution).

GTAtitles: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing
Logo: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Jsonic3000
  • Jsonic3000

Public Security Section 9

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:05 AM

yea the GTA Players do need to be redone. I dislike not being able to see the intro videos 

• Wakka387 likes this

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:07 AM

Widescreen fix plus wndmode.ini (blank file) in main directory makes the intros work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users