Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is Vercetti Estate the worst interior in the series?

37 replies to this topic
Bamboozle
  • Bamboozle

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:06 AM

When I first played Vice City, the fact that Vercetti Estate lacks any true sort of furnishing and there's only two functional rooms bothered me a whole lot. Is this the least detailed and worst interior or at least safe house interior in the entire franchise?

• CarlsonRe and Platybus like this

Craig
  • Craig

Hostage Stamp

• None
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:20 AM

I don't know, I quite liked it, but you're right - other than the bar and the room where you save, there's little else going on. I suppose it's a nice homage to Scarface but there's little else. To me, the surroundings and features make up for it. There's a helicopter landing pad, a maze, a good sized garage and a boat mooring dock. Whilst the interior may not offer much, I'm drawn to save there simply because of what's on offer, second only to Hyman Condo.

It's not the worst for me though. Believe it or not, I couldn't stand the hotel room you use on the first island, Ocean View is it? It felt too cluttered. There's a lot of references to the game and your progression is marked tastefully but I couldn't wait to use something else. Maybe it's because it felt like it took such a long time to get up there. I know you don't technically save there but I hardly had any reason to visit.

If we're talking shoddy interiors, the shack above the biker pub is so bad you don't even get a loading sequence!

• Mister Pink, universetwisters, ROCKSTAR MANIC and 4 others like this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:24 AM

Where does Tommy take a dump?

• ΣΓ, NaTaLiiA513 and Platybus like this

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Peon

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:19 PM

Limitations of hardware  available at the time, ViceCity and GTA3 where supposed to be PS2 releases ONLY, If you read up on the games both are not loaded into PS2 memory but stream from the disk. I guess they just did what was viable at the time, when you look at both games as a whole nothing is really that detailed, San Andreas corrects this a little bit but not by much.

• NaTaLiiA513, CarlsonRe and SprunkieMonkey like this

Craig
  • Craig

Hostage Stamp

• None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:23 PM

I don't think they did too badly when it came to limitations - all interiors were well designed all things considered. Having pizza boxes and bottles gather up over time was a nice touch. They didn't have to do that, and I don't think any instance of it occurred in SA.

• CarlsonRe likes this

Bamboozle
  • Bamboozle

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:40 AM

Limitations of hardware  available at the time, ViceCity and GTA3 where supposed to be PS2 releases ONLY, If you read up on the games both are not loaded into PS2 memory but stream from the disk. I guess they just did what was viable at the time, when you look at both games as a whole nothing is really that detailed, San Andreas corrects this a little bit but not by much.

No, hardware limitation isn't the case. The interior of the mansion is simply not well thought-out and it's very obvious.
  • CarlsonRe likes this

A.Nothingman
  • A.Nothingman

Ex-President

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:01 PM

That mansion was a whole new level for me back in the days. I was the happiest guy in the world after getting rid of Diaz and taking his 'palace'. Never cared about furniture or whatever. Vance's white infernus at the door and the other vehicles in there were fckn A. At least it seemed to have the proportions right, not like the nowadays stilt houses in gta v online where a clearly small and ugly house, looking almost like a trailer house at the side of the road, transforms into a huge thing with a ten car garage in the interior. And hey, it had an interior pool ffs!
  • Mister Pink, Official General, Mr.ClaudeFan and 2 others like this

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • Macau
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:59 PM

No, hardware limitation isn't the case. The interior of the mansion is simply not well thought-out and it's very obvious.

I'd say it's in part due to the hardware limitations, I mean the game was designed for the PS2 running 8MB of RAM hence why if you see a car even 10ft away driving, look away and then look back it'll disappear. The mansion is an obvious homage to Scarface and I'd say it works pretty well as an integral part of the plot; from first seeing it and knowing Diaz is f*cking loaded, to storming the place and taking over the mansion to the final shootout with Sonny it all works pretty well as a central point for the game. It's bang in the middle of the map, big garage with an Infernus spawn regardless, multiple weapons in the building (M4/shotty/health/armor) and a sniper in the maze, Seasparrow at the back and a Maverick on the roof, bodyguards in the lounge plus going through a fair few cosmetic changes based on storyline progression. I like how the Vercetti gang always seem to be in swarms around the area too so it makes it feel like it's an actual base of operations as opposed to the other interiors. Could they have added more rooms to the mansion to give it more detail? Maybe, but what would they add a bathroom? A bedroom? How many people can honestly say they actually used the Hotel Room in Ocean Beach outside of weapon pickups/viewing the changes based on unlocks?

Personally I would've enjoyed a few more safehouses with interiors as imo there are plenty of cool places around the map/buildings that would work well as a safehouse.

• Mr.ClaudeFan and CarlsonRe like this

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 11 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

To be honest, it wasn't a bad interior either. It was completely OK for a game that old. It's true that there aren't many enterable rooms like San Andreas interiors, but it has all the needed ones. The Bar and the TV Room is a mess. I think the room upstairs where you save should have a bit more larger. I dislike how the front stairs directly lead to an important room. Other than all these, there's the armory and the helipad on the roof. These are way more than what GTA III didn't even have to offer back then.
  • Official General and CarlsonRe like this

Bamboozle
  • Bamboozle

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 February 2017 - 02:07 PM

What about other interiors in the same game? The ocean view hotel, the north point mall, the washington mall, the washington police department, the malibu club, pole position and so on. These interiors had thought put into them like there's a blueprint drawn beforehand. 

The interior of the mansion overall doesn't feel like a functional building at all, let alone a mansion, it's like Rockstar thought about a giant staircase in the middle of the room and that's the only thing they got going for it. The entire mansion seems to be bigger than the mansion its based off of yet it feels completely empty. They could've just added some unopenable doors and at least that would made the mansion feel like a house.

• CarlsonRe likes this

Craig
  • Craig

Hostage Stamp

• None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:54 PM

Don't forget, it solely serves as a nod towards Scarface, which is why the staircase and the office have had the most detail put in. All save interiors serve the same job. It doesn't need to look like a mansion and I'm certainly not sore they didn't put more work into it.
  • Mister Pink and CarlsonRe like this

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:02 PM

Personally I think they could have put more rooms in place. Some more detail etc. Or else only allow us to enter a small portion of the house but have more detail in that way.
  • CarlsonRe likes this

SMACKED!
  • SMACKED!

You've been sent to the nearest hospital.

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:57 PM

Too many questions but not enough answers, unfortunely.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:32 PM

No way is it the worst interior in the whole series. The generic, copy & paste safe house interiors in San Andreas that are completely disproportional to their exteriors are far worse.

The mansion served its purpose well by being a central hub of Tonmy's operations and an obvious Scarface nod. I don't care about not being able to go into random rooms that would likely serve no need to be there, but that's just me.
  • Tomasak, Tycek, Nico and 5 others like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:04 PM

Do you think the brown stuff on the ground is just dirt?

@MiamiViceCity - The safe house interiors in San Andreas were fine, it was just sh*tty how often they were repeated, regardless of the exterior. With that, I do kinda think Tommy's mansion is the worst interior in the series. You only have three proper rooms and the rest is just hallways. Unless it's supposed to be like the Winchester house where only 10% of it is livable, it's a bit of a mockery to go from the hotel to this mansion, only to realize that there's not really anything that makes it feel like a mansion. If anything, I feel like I'm living on a movie set. But I guess that's what you get with 3D-era Rockstar, alright-ish interiors that don't match up with the exterior.

Colonel _Cortez
  • Colonel _Cortez

Crackhead

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:11 PM

I also found it strange that such a big ass mansion got less rooms than the apartment of my parents. Lots of space seems to be wasted for stairs only.

But in the end it didn't really matter. Like some of you already noticed, the the surroundings made the savehouse so enjoyable.

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:17 PM

Do you think the brown stuff on the ground is just dirt?

@MiamiViceCity - The safe house interiors in San Andreas were fine, it was just sh*tty how often they were repeated, regardless of the exterior. With that, I do kinda think Tommy's mansion is the worst interior in the series. You only have three proper rooms and the rest is just hallways. Unless it's supposed to be like the Winchester house where only 10% of it is livable, it's a bit of a mockery to go from the hotel to this mansion, only to realize that there's not really anything that makes it feel like a mansion. If anything, I feel like I'm living on a movie set. But I guess that's what you get with 3D-era Rockstar, alright-ish interiors that don't match up with the exterior.

This is true actually, I found myself wasting as much time navigating that place cause when I was in, I just wanted to save and leave. There was nothing of much interest in any of the interiors though. I would even suffice to say it's not changed much even by V's standards, they may seem like an afterthought, but I guess it's called GTA, and you're not driving if you're inside a building let's be fair.

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Homeboy

• Members
  • France

Posted 03 April 2017 - 03:55 PM

The author never visited the scumhole shack.

• Natasha likes this

ROCKSTAR MANIC
  • ROCKSTAR MANIC

The Vice City Coke Baron

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:06 PM

I felt that Vercetti estate was just  a big box with little to no rooms at all. Apart from the Office and the lower level halls with the pick ups and the inside pool which I thought is a neat idea. The Roof and the helipad is alright, the lounge bar is kinda cool for the henchmen. But after that its just dull on the aspect of making it a "mansion" should at least of been two bedrooms.

• Natasha likes this

=OG4life=
  • =OG4life=

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:44 AM

To be honest, it must have more rooms. The interior does feel kind of incomplete, and from outside the mansion you can see all kinds of windows. There's even a room that's present in GTA VCS when you take missions from Diaz that's totally absent in VC. Can anyone make an educated guess where this one should be located inside the mansion?

• ROCKSTAR MANIC, Roger Cheeto, Pastry and 2 others like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:59 AM

Come on are you serious ? The game is practically 15 years old - back then very few games even had such features like the Vercetti Mansion that were interactive and on that scale. I don't about others but when I first saw it I was totally blown away by it. The luxury main office, the indoor pool, the lounge, the gardens, the hallways, I loved it.
  • MiamiViceCity, Roger Cheeto, Maibatsu545 and 1 other like this

Toreno6901
  • Toreno6901

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:17 AM Edited by Toreno6901, 13 April 2017 - 11:17 AM.

When I first played Vice City, the fact that Vercetti Estate lacks any true sort of furnishing and there's only two functional rooms bothered me a whole lot. Is this the least detailed and worst interior or at least safe house interior in the entire franchise?

The Vercetti estate is well furnished? I always thought
Minecraft gamers
have the worst interior design ever.

Rocket Man FI
  • Rocket Man FI

Toni Cruise

• Members
  • Unknown
  • Best USB citizen 2016

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

Vercetti estate is kindly an old place and biggest mansion in Vice City.Background looks old but inside interior it is like heaven.I love this place for having a helipad.

Platybus
  • Platybus

Crackhead

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:22 PM

I agree. It'd actually be very weird to live in there, I mean, what will your guests think about you if your entire house has almost none furnishing?

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Homeboy

• Members
  • France

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:32 AM

None would make this mansion a home IRL but since this place wasn't meant to look like a place to live it's not a problem.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:34 AM

I agree. It'd actually be very weird to live in there, I mean, what will your guests think about you if your entire house has almost none furnishing?

Yeah sure, criticize the severe technical limitations of a game that's FIFTEEN years old and optimized for the PS2, which is like THREE gaming generations ago. Just seeing posts like this beggars utter belief :blink:  :sarcasm: 

Toreno6901
  • Toreno6901

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:56 PM

Vercetti estate is kindly an old place and biggest mansion in Vice City.Background looks old but inside interior it is like heaven.I love this place for having a helipad.

Vercetti Estate is similar to the MCPE Woodlands Mansion , except for the polished interior
Vercetti Estate seems medieval renaissance architecture in my opinion.

gts.
  • gts.

Please do not walk on the grass

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:09 PM

Yeah sure, criticize the severe technical limitations of a game that's FIFTEEN years old and optimized for the PS2, which is like THREE gaming generations ago. Just seeing posts like this beggars utter belief
Also, it is only a video game! Isn't a game breaking issue or a real life subject, only a video game lol.
  • Official General likes this

GTAUrbanCamping
  • GTAUrbanCamping

Urban Camper

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:55 PM

Ive seen worse.

piko
  • piko

100% or nothing

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:59 PM

I guess Tommy isn't one for decoration and stuff, I mean, he sleeps in Skumole shack after all..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users