Quantcast

» «
Photo

PS4 Pro's BOOST MODE - GTAV performance gain!

56 replies to this topic
Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:10 PM

The consoles are locked at 30 with drops to around 25 during heavy loads, under pros boost Mode the game maintains a locked 30. It can't go higher because that's what this game was capped at.

In games without a framelock the boost Mode has been able to move games around 15 - 20 extra frames per second compared to regular PS4, developers can choose to either boost framerate further with a patch or increase resolution, and, well we know how people prefer resolution sadly. So many patched games go for locked 30fps but running at 3200x1800 and upscale to 4k or supersample to 1080p.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:58 PM

So wait.

You're saying that consoles can't even keep up with stable 30 fps?

My computer rig costs less than a PS4 or Xbox One, and it guarantees nothing below 45 fps even on the highest settings (60 fps+ is the average, 45 fps under big load like many explosions and objects).

I say that's rather pathetic performance for 2017.

I would expect the pro mode to make it stable at 60 fps, but instead, it makes it stable at 30 fps - something that honestly a normal PS4 should've been able to do on its own by now.

Nah. I'll stick to PC. Customizable, cost-effective, better performance and tweaking (unless it is a bad console port onto PC).

That was exactly the point I made earlier bro. If a Pro can't even get 60fps in Boots Mode, then really what it is the point of getting it for GTA V ? It's just not worth it at all, and if you're a decent gaming PC owner you'd better just stick to V on there.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

I like the way you guys are still blaming the consoles for ROCKSTAR locking their games framerate. It's the same reason why GTA3/VC/SA run at 30fps on the emulator too whilst other PS2 games are running at 60fps. Rockstar always choose to cap their framerates on consoles except for a few exceptions, I believe GTA IV on Xbox 360 and Max Payne 3 are them.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:31 PM

I like the way you guys are still blaming the consoles for ROCKSTAR locking their games framerate. It's the same reason why GTA3/VC/SA run at 30fps on the emulator too whilst other PS2 games are running at 60fps. Rockstar always choose to cap their framerates on consoles except for a few exceptions, I believe GTA IV on Xbox 360 and Max Payne 3 are them.

I'm blaming anyone or anything. I'm just saying it's not worth getting a PS4 Pro just for GTA V, based on the fact that it cannot boost the framerate over 30fps. That literally is it.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:35 PM

I bought a PRO for other reasons but V on boost mode is a nice bonus. Many of those PS exclusive games look and run great on the pro even on 1080p tv.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:28 PM

WTF are you talking about? Its not Rockstar that wants it locked at 30fps, its not Rockstar fault if PlayStation again chose a sh*t* jaguar Cpu that is bottlenecking the gpu.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

WTF are you talking about? Its not Rockstar that wants it locked at 30fps, its not Rockstar fault if PlayStation again chose a sh*t* jaguar Cpu that is bottlenecking the gpu.

OK, seems you don't know a thing then.

You are aware games can be locked or unlocked framerate wise right? Even Double Buffered and Triple Buffered. And you are aware of the benefits of locking compared to leaving things unlocked too right? Let's take an example, Grand Theft Auto IV on Xbox 360, that game runs at an unlocked framerate, it varies between 24 and 34 fps in normal play, that's literally the game pushing the best it can out of the hardware so when it can, it will go over 30 frame. However, this introduces screen tearing and framepacing issues, which is crucial for inputs and one of the many complaints about GTA IV's character handling.

Now, after that, Rockstar chose a locked 30 cap, meaning even if the game could go over, it won't, it will stay at a solid 30, this means it can then be vsynced to eliminate screen tearing and also try and normalize the framepacing so controller input is even and only becomes an issue during drops.

Both have pros and cons, but the cons for the locked side are that it can't take advantage of newer hardware, instead, the lower drops will be eliminated but the high cap is still there, so instead you end up with a perfect locked 30. That's the issue here, the console CAN go over 30fps, most games that are unlocked show a 15 to 20 fps increase in boost mode between Regular PS4 and Pro (Games like Project Cars, BioShock, etc). But since Rockstar Games have used a frame cap at 30, it doesn't matter HOW powerful the hardware is, it won't go over on consoles. See Red Dead Redemption ox Xbox One too, the lows are eliminated and it now retains a locked 30, but doesn't go over.

So yes, the issue here is, Rockstar, because they locked the game to 30 and haven't done a patch for it to even make use of the extra power. It'd be great if Rockstar DID allow what Tomb Raider does and have an option for 1080p60 with no graphical enhancements and a 30fps mode running at 1800p downsampled, but there's no real benefit to GTA Online for that. The most I'm hoping for is HDR Support as that would help BOTH SP and Online with colour banding issues in the skybox, etc.
  • Gummy  likes this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:08 PM Edited by Official General, 15 March 2017 - 07:09 PM.

I bought a PRO for other reasons but V on boost mode is a nice bonus. Many of those PS exclusive games look and run great on the pro even on 1080p tv.

The only reason I'm may get a Pro is if RDR 2 does not come out on the PC. If that's the case I'm gonna get it for RDR 2, which by then should be optimised for 60fps. If RDR 2 comes out for PC, then I'm not gonna bother get a Pro.

V looks more than good enough on the PS4 as it is, the Boost Mode won't do much for me if it's not 60fps, so I'm not gonna bother with the Pro for now.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:19 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 15 March 2017 - 07:24 PM.

You are aware games can be locked or unlocked framerate wise right? Even Double Buffered and Triple Buffered. And you are aware of the benefits of locking compared to leaving things unlocked too right? Let's take an example, Grand Theft Auto IV on Xbox 360, that game runs at an unlocked framerate, it varies between 24 and 34 fps in normal play, that's literally the game pushing the best it can out of the hardware so when it can, it will go over 30 frame. However, this introduces screen tearing and framepacing issues, which is crucial for inputs and one of the many complaints about GTA IV's character handling.

Now, after that, Rockstar chose a locked 30 cap, meaning even if the game could go over, it won't, it will stay at a solid 30, this means it can then be vsynced to eliminate screen tearing and also try and normalize the framepacing so controller input is even and only becomes an issue during drops.

Both have pros and cons, but the cons for the locked side are that it can't take advantage of newer hardware, instead, the lower drops will be eliminated but the high cap is still there, so instead you end up with a perfect locked 30. That's the issue here, the console CAN go over 30fps, most games that are unlocked show a 15 to 20 fps increase in boost mode between Regular PS4 and Pro (Games like Project Cars, BioShock, etc). But since Rockstar Games have used a frame cap at 30, it doesn't matter HOW powerful the hardware is, it won't go over on consoles. See Red Dead Redemption ox Xbox One too, the lows are eliminated and it now retains a locked 30, but doesn't go over.

So yes, the issue here is, Rockstar, because they locked the game to 30 and haven't done a patch for it to even make use of the extra power. It'd be great if Rockstar DID allow what Tomb Raider does and have an option for 1080p60 with no graphical enhancements and a 30fps mode running at 1800p downsampled, but there's no real benefit to GTA Online for that. The most I'm hoping for is HDR Support as that would help BOTH SP and Online with colour banding issues in the skybox, etc.

you can write your texts as mutch as you want it doesnt change the fact that its the console that cant keep up with the game and not the other way around... or do you really believe that any developer wants they're game to run like sh*t?  you have the proof of the pc version , where the user chooses how they want to run the game more fps vs more details

its the console that is locked, not he game. period

Inb4 pc player, i have a ps4 and a pc, Im a gamer and in this last decade consoles are so far behind its not worth it (money wise)

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

you can write your texts as mutch as you want it doesnt change the fact that its the console that cant keep up with the game and not the other way around... or do you really believe that any developer wants they're game to run like sh*t?  you have the proof of the pc version , where the user chooses how they want to run the game more fps vs more details

Inb4 pc player, i have a ps4 and a pc, Im a gamer and in this last decade consoles are so far behind its not worth it (money wise)

I literally just explained to you in detail about how this stuff works, you claim you're a PC Gamer and yet you still can't grasp this?
  • Gummy  likes this

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:34 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 15 March 2017 - 07:39 PM.

some educated reading for those that say that its Rockstar that cant push more then 30fps

"According to Sony, developers make very little effort to enable enhancements like 1080p 60FPS or super-sampled graphics in old PS4 games on the new PlayStation 4 Pro."

Silent
  • Silent

Chief Vision™ Alterer

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [Modding] 2016
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Script/Plugin 2014 [SilentPatch]
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2014
    Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 [ViceCityStories PC Edition]
    Best Vehicle 2013 [III Aircraft]
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:35 PM Edited by Silent, 15 March 2017 - 07:41 PM.

If the game is running at stable 30FPS then the console does keep up with the game perfectly. Seems like you think devs are all like "AHH we'd love for this game to run at 1440p@144FPS all the time but dem sh*tty consolez don't allow us to do it" which is obviously bullsh*t.

EDIT:
Edited, I apparently skipped a word.
  • Ash_735 likes this

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:44 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 15 March 2017 - 07:47 PM.

If the game is running at stable 30FPS then the console does keep up with the game perfectly. Seems like you think devs are all like "AHH we'd love for this game to run at 1440p@144FPS all the time but dem sh*tty consolez don't allow us to do it" which is obviously bullsh*t.

EDIT:
Edited, I apparently skipped a word.

it can keep up with 30, you got it right, but if it was unlocked could it go mutch higher? with a cpu bottlenecking??

so in your oppinion it's Rockstar that say " aahh lets make this game look like crap, even if the Ps4 can runs it at 4k 144h ultrawide"

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:47 PM

The game itself is set to cap at 30 fps. The console (regular ps4) handles it well, except in some cases, it can slow to around 25. If it were not capped, it would hit 60 easiler in interiors and some places around the map, specifically places where the ocean is ahead of you with not a lot of land in the way, and the city and main areas behind you/off screen,

It is not the console which is locked, it is the game, which is capped. Because 30fps is better than any variable FPS, any day. 

You can cap it on PC using half vsync if you have a 60hz monitor. If you have 120hz monitor, you can cap to 60 with the same setting.

Do note, however, that 30fps on TV looks a lot better than 30fps on PC, it just does. Anyone who has both, and who is not biased (like myself) can tell you that 30fps on TV is fine and barely noticed, but noticeable on PC.

"period"

• Official General likes this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:47 PM

for those that say that its Rockstar that cant push more then 30fps

It's not that they CAN'T they just WON'T, how do you explain all the other games out there running in either unlocked mode or get patched for Pro Support running at a better framerate?

I mean, watch:
Tomb Raider [Example of Patched Game]
Project Cars [Example of Unlocked Framerate in Boost Mode]

Silent
  • Silent

Chief Vision™ Alterer

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Poland
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2014
    Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:48 PM Edited by Silent, 15 March 2017 - 07:49 PM.

Bottleneck points depend heavily on games' architecture, so while the CPU could be objectively considered "less powerful" than the coupled GPU it doesn't mean it affects all games in the same way. Some games may be GPU bound enough for the lower CPU performance not to be noticeable.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:52 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 15 March 2017 - 07:57 PM.

It is not the console which is locked, it is the game, which is capped. Because 30fps is better than any variable FPS, any day. 

:) you just made my day

Do note, however, that 30fps on TV looks a lot better than 30fps on PC, it just does. Anyone who has both, and who is not biased (like myself) can tell you that 30fps on TV is fine and barely noticed, but noticeable on PC.

depends on how good your tv is, and how good your monitor is, its also not the same thing sitting 2mt aways on your tv against sitting at 40cm in front of your monitor, ofc you are going to see more jags on the monitor since you are close to it

connect your pc to the same tv you play ps4 and if it doesnt run better/looks better then you have a 20yo pc

Silent
  • Silent

Chief Vision™ Alterer

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Poland
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2014
    Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:04 PM Edited by Silent, 15 March 2017 - 08:07 PM.

so in your oppinion it's Rockstar that say " aahh lets make this game look like crap, even if the Ps4 can runs it at 4k 144h ultrawide"

No, why? GTA V objectively isn't looking like 'crap' on any platform so why do you keep bringing that up?

As for "making your day" with a 30FPS lock - do you really think variable 30-50fps with noticeable frame tear is more pleasing than stable 30FPS with no tearing? In my experience you get accustomed to fixed FPS fairly quickly even if it's pretty low, but when the framerates fluctuate you keep "noticing" that.

AliK16
  • AliK16

Player Hater

• Members
  • Pakistan

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:40 AM

yeah, smoother frame-rate is more pleasing to the eye than constantly changing frame-rate. No-one can disagree with it.

BronxBombers79
  • BronxBombers79

Prankster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:36 PM Edited by BronxBombers79, 20 April 2017 - 05:38 PM.

Might be a stupid question but if I have a ps4 pro and a sony ultra hd 4k tv, should I be using that game picture setting on tv when i have new boost mode turned on?  Playing GTA V Online.  I use vivid but seems too look better than game mode.  small details take milliseconds extra to render in game it seems.  is this normal or am I being too picky?  LMK thanks

I prefer the "animation" scene select for gaming. I own two top of the line Sony HDTVs (one is 4K, the 2016 65X930D, and the other is a 2011 55HX820). One thing I definitely recommend is using a 4K/HDR enabled a/v receiver like the Yamaha Aventage series RX-A760. It boosts signals to 4K/60fps with high-speed HDMI cables. Proud owner. Signal is amazing. Also, make sure the PS4 Pro is outputting full RGB 2160p and not YUV420 at 2K, and of course enable "boost mode" in the Pro's system settings. And enable the "enhanced input" setting on the HDMI input where the Pro is hooked up in your tv settings so it can receive an HDR signal which will allow it to display the best colors and light.

We Are Ninja
  • We Are Ninja

Told Y'all That Liberty City DLC Would Never Happen... -_-

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:32 AM

Just stumbled across this Boost mode while messing around with PlayStation settings. The framerate stability is nice, but the UHD HDR performance is outstanding. I used to have to run GTA in Game mode (with all my TVs post-production turned off). Now, I can play the game with it all turned on, and it's still smooth AF. I'm impressed.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:32 PM

...but the PS4 can't change your TV settings, it won't magically make your TV have less input lag, etc. And GTAV hasn't been patched for HDR colour.

Turan
  • Turan

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:55 PM Edited by Turan, 10 May 2017 - 04:56 PM.

Kind of odd they still haven't released a Pro patch for this game. Maybe they are waiting for the Scorpio? 

GTA VI won't be out anytime soon and GTA V is still selling like crazy, so why not make your go-to GTA game even better on those platforms? I think Rockstar could only benefit from it.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:35 AM

They're likely leaving any modifications to RAGE to support the Pro/Scorpio for RDR2.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:39 AM

Maybe they don't want to do a console exclusive patch. Anyway boost mode works good enough for me.

Bonus Bertie
  • Bonus Bertie

Peon

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:04 PM

Exactly what discussing boost mode on PS4 has to do with the hack ridden PC version of GTA V is beyond me.

mobe
  • mobe

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:36 AM

Maybe they don't want to do a console exclusive patch. Anyway boost mode works good enough for me.

A surprising amount of work has to go into doing a Pro patch to optimise the game. Its possible Rockstar may do it one day but considering the resources that have to go into it there's not enough pay back, or indeed any payback. Thats the thinking from a lot of third party studios. 

Its a similar story to CD Projekt Red saying they aren't currently planning on doing a Pro patch for Witcher 3. Just too much work when these studios are busy making new games. 

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users