Quantcast

» «
Photo

PS4 Pro's BOOST MODE - GTAV performance gain!

55 replies to this topic
lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:06 AM Edited by lazloisdavrock, 04 February 2017 - 12:06 AM.

If you're a PS4 Pro user and currently in the BETA 4.5 firmware, there is a new feature called Boost mode which lets the Pro run at full power for games that don't have a Pro Patch.   Running GTAV now.  Very nice performance gains with this. check it out and have fun!

https://abload.de/im...164607tesfs.jpg

• BLOOD, TheHumanIsland and Nossirag like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:29 AM

Are you getting 60fps ?

• Lamborghini1335 likes this

Deadly Target
  • Deadly Target

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:37 AM

Blow up 20 cars at the same time and see if the framerate dips bro.
  • Lamborghini1335 likes this

lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:42 AM Edited by lazloisdavrock, 04 February 2017 - 12:44 AM.

The game is capped at 30 but it never goes under 30. overall runs much better than OG Ps4. 

edit: load times seem to have improved too 

• TheHumanIsland likes this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:57 AM Edited by Official General, 04 February 2017 - 01:53 AM.

The game is capped at 30 but it never goes under 30. overall runs much better than OG Ps4. 

You want 60fps at least for the best experience. I was hoping for better than that for console players of V. Sorry, but not really impressed.

• Yinepi likes this

oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:01 AM

Really no point when the framerate is capped at 30.

• Official General, Ivan1997GTA, Dust and 1 other like this

lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:55 AM

You want 60fps at least for the best experience. I was hoping for better than that for console players of V. Sorry, but not really impressed.

It's just how the game is coded. It could handle 60 frames if it was uncapped.
  • Deadly Target, stjimmy3, Ivan1997GTA and 1 other like this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:05 AM

Well the PC version runs V at 60fps as standard performance, there is no capping to 30 frames there, so I don't understand what you're saying. The Pro should be able to boost V to 60fps, since it says it will improve performance and framerates - that's the whole point of the 'boost'. If can only still manage 30fps then the Pro is not of much use to improving the experience while playing V.

• Yinepi likes this

GTAFanClub
  • GTAFanClub

Adversary Mode Advocate

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:49 AM

Well the PC version runs V at 60fps as standard performance, there is no capping to 30 frames there, so I don't understand what you're saying. The Pro should be able to boost V to 60fps, since it says it will improve performance and framerates - that's the whole point of the 'boost'. If can only still manage 30fps then the Pro is not of much use to improving the experience while playing V.

Rockstar would have to update their game to make it 60 FPS (If that's even possible).

lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:21 AM Edited by lazloisdavrock, 04 February 2017 - 04:25 AM.

Why are we talking about the pc version anyway? Lol
The console version is capped at 30 because it was rockstars choice. Probably because there would be too much fluctuation without a cap. The PRO in boost most isn't going to magically remove a limitation that was made at a game-code level

The point is, it's solid steady performance now even with lots going on. Load times are better as well. People will love the new performance boost in unpatched ps4 games!
  • gajrajgchouhan, Veroder, TheHumanIsland and 1 other like this

oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:27 AM Edited by oCrapaCreeper, 04 February 2017 - 04:35 AM.

Rockstar would have to update their game to make it 60 FPS (If that's even possible).

Of course it'd be possible, it would take no more than a few minutes toying with the vsync for them to uncap it.

They wouldn't do it not because it's hard, but simply that the console versions however were never designed to go above 30, therefore uncapping the frame rate leaves the game subject to a messy inconsistent framerate. Even if the Pro has capable hardware similar to a high end PC, the console versions of the game most likely are not optimized the same way the PC version is (which is designed to take varying hardware into account), so uncapping the framerate is still sketchy.

Either way, this "boost" mode is a waste when most modern games on console that push for graphical fidelity (bar fast paced FPS games that NEED to run at 60, DOOM, Call of Duty, etc) have a locked framerate.

• Official General likes this

lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:36 AM

There's actually a large number of games that have benefited from the boost mode. Digital foundry will soon have comparison videos up detailing some of the more popular titles. For instance there was some screen tearing in Yakuza 0 in base mode and boost mode has eliminated it! If anything the Pro's self worth has went up even more today. Already great performance to dollar ratio.

oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:38 AM Edited by oCrapaCreeper, 04 February 2017 - 04:40 AM.

There's actually a large number of games that have benefited from the boost mode. Digital foundry will soon have comparison videos up detailing some of the more popular titles. For instance there was some screen tearing in Yakuza 0 in base mode and boost mode has eliminated it! If anything the Pro's self worth has went up even more today. Already great performance to dollar ratio.

Boost mode may help maintain the framerate (for whatever shoddy reason developers can't even maintain 30 on their games in 2017), but it certainly can't increase the potential performance of a game that has a locked framerate. If a game ran at <30 on normal PS4, it is still going to run at <30 on the pro no matter the hardware. 

lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:42 AM

A more stable 30.

On another note games with uncapped framerate are seeing upwards of 30-50fps boosts. (Rainbow six siege)
  • TheHumanIsland likes this

oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:44 AM Edited by oCrapaCreeper, 04 February 2017 - 04:45 AM.

A more stable 30.

On another note games with uncapped framerate are seeing upwards of 30-50fps boosts. (Rainbow six siege)

Do those games maintain 50? Because if the frame rates jumps around, then you have a problem even worse than a low framerate, which is why games have their FPS locked in the first place. Capped 30 FPS is better than a framerate that constantly jumps somewhere between 30-60 and doesn't stay the same.

• lydianduck likes this

mybones121
  • mybones121

Rat

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:08 PM

While I'm glad the framerate is still capped at 30fps in boost mode in online, but they should at least have allowed a higher framerate boost in singleplayer.

Rufkutz
  • Rufkutz

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:30 AM

Might be a stupid question but if I have a ps4 pro and a sony ultra hd 4k tv, should I be using that game picture setting on tv when i have new boost mode turned on?  Playing GTA V Online.  I use vivid but seems too look better than game mode.  small details take milliseconds extra to render in game it seems.  is this normal or am I being too picky?  LMK thanks

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:02 AM

I tried it and it does run very smooth. It doesn't run 60 FPS but it holds a very steady 30 even when there is a lot of action. I am too engrossed in another game though so I only played it for about a half an hour.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:07 AM Edited by Official General, 12 March 2017 - 09:06 PM.

I tried it and it does run very smooth. It doesn't run 60 FPS but it holds a very steady 30 even when there is a lot of action. I am too engrossed in another game though so I only played it for about a half an hour.

That's thing bro, anything less than 60fps is not worth getting excited about. I was really hoping V would somehow be optimized to do 60fps on the Pro, but I don't think they can do it, they'd have to release it again and re-optimize it to do 60fps, which they wont do. All my GTA gaming is PC-based only now.

I think I'm gonna get a Pro later for RDR 2 though, not 100 percent certain though.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:54 PM

Rockstar haven't done jack for PS4 Pro mainly cause it'd improve Single Player and we all know how they feel about that.

Boost Mode is just running the original game at higher power but Rockstar have a capped 30fps lock so now that's where it maxes out as the game won't allow itself to go over that.

As for the comment above, it's literally just a lock, the engine is the same as the pc one, if Rockstar allowed a toggle for framelock in single player then it would be interesting to see how hardware alone can push it, it'd be estimated at 40-50 FPS variable if no changes were made, but of course that would introduce screen tearing and uneven frame pacing on controls.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:20 PM Edited by Spider-Vice, 12 March 2017 - 02:20 PM.

An artificial 60 FPS cap would probably fix the tearing, but not the input issues.

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:36 AM Edited by TheHumanIsland, 13 March 2017 - 06:38 AM.

Are you getting 60fps ?

Do we need it? 30fps steady with NO drops on tv is BETTER than 60fps with drops to 40 and 45 on small screen - fact. You can't match ps4 visuals on PC unless you have the top 15% of highest PC specs, let alone max GTA V on the top 2% of PC specs per steam hardware survey anyway - so yes, your post is useless, and 30 fps in a good tv looks better anyway. Bigger. Prettier. f*ck you.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★☆★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:14 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 13 March 2017 - 02:26 PM.

Why are we talking about the pc version anyway? Lol
The console version is capped at 30 because it was rockstars choice. Probably because there would be too much fluctuation without a cap. The PRO in boost most isn't going to magically remove a limitation that was made at a game-code level

The point is, it's solid steady performance now even with lots going on. Load times are better as well. People will love the new performance boost in unpatched ps4 games!

Wrong, the game is capped at 30 bcuz its PlayStation/ Xbox choice. Making the game run higher and it could cause stutters or details not rendering fast enough, the same goes in PC if you set the details to high for your cpu/GPU, its a hardware problem.
The Pro is a decent console and it could be so mutch better if, again, they used a better "CPU" that didnt bottlenecked "gpu"

Lol @thehumanisland, what a troll.. Any gtx970 will run the game far better then any console and they are selling for less then 80, also, you know you can connect your PC to any TV the same way you do with the ps4 right?

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:50 PM

Are you getting 60fps ?

Do we need it? 30fps steady with NO drops on tv is BETTER than 60fps with drops to 40 and 45 on small screen - fact. You can't match ps4 visuals on PC unless you have the top 15% of highest PC specs, let alone max GTA V on the top 2% of PC specs per steam hardware survey anyway - so yes, your post is useless, and 30 fps in a good tv looks better anyway. Bigger. Prettier. f*ck you.

Well, if you're trying to get a much better visual experience with GTA, then yes you do, it's the defining factor in achieving it. If not, then the original PS4 version of V is good enough. Therefore my point is that getting a PS4 for Pro for a better visual experience for V is simply not worth it.

Sorry, but 60fps is what delivers the supreme visual experience in play GTA, it really adds a surreal feeling to the game. If you're happy with 30fps, then great, but no need to get aggressive with those who are not. If you swear at me again, considered your posts ignored.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:05 PM

Even if running it at 60fps might cause some issues they should still unlock it and give people a choice like they did in The Last of Us remaster. It looks slightly and I mean slightly better in 30 fps but to me it is still worth it to play in 60 fps because to me I don't notice any difference and it makes it that much more fun to play. I am still not switching to PC because I like my gaming machines pre built.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:16 PM

Even if running it at 60fps might cause some issues they should still unlock it and give people a choice like they did in The Last of Us remaster. It looks slightly and I mean slightly better in 30 fps but to me it is still worth it to play in 60 fps because to me I don't notice any difference and it makes it that much more fun to play. I am still not switching to PC because I like my gaming machines pre built.

I was really hoping the PS4 Pro boost would play V in 60fps, because it gives console owners the chance to experience such advanced levels of visual quality and effects just like us PC owners. It's a shame that they didn't do that. V just looks incredible at 60fps, exploring the map feels a great deal more satisfying as the graphics and movement are stunning. I'm still a console gamer mostly, but for GTA, it's a PC thing for me.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:31 PM

Rockstar should release a pro patch. It would increase sales. If IV and RDR had a sales boost because of backward compatibility on X Box One then V which is still a very popular and played game can get a definite boost from a pro patch.

oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Soldier

• Members

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:23 AM

They should just make a pro patch to add an option for turning off the framecap with a giant warning disclaimer saying it may cause framerate instability etc. Shouldn't be that hard.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

Or at least enable HDR output, the way GTAV handles colours would actually make it one of the games to see a decent benefit.

Hgrunt_Murphy
  • Hgrunt_Murphy

You got nothing.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:00 AM Edited by Hgrunt_Murphy, 15 March 2017 - 06:01 AM.

So wait.

You're saying that consoles can't even keep up with stable 30 fps?

My computer rig costs less than a PS4 or Xbox One, and it guarantees nothing below 45 fps even on the highest settings (60 fps+ is the average, 45 fps under big load like many explosions and objects).

I say that's rather pathetic performance for 2017.

I would expect the pro mode to make it stable at 60 fps, but instead, it makes it stable at 30 fps - something that honestly a normal PS4 should've been able to do on its own by now.

Nah. I'll stick to PC. Customizable, cost-effective, better performance and tweaking (unless it is a bad console port onto PC).

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users