Since when does unrealism = bad?

26 replies to this topic
Paul72
  • Paul72

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:30 AM

I mean it seems like the older GTA games, especially San Andreas, gains a lot of backlash for being unrealistic, and I'm asking what's wrong with that? Isn't it supposed to be the whole point of the video game? Just to have fun and a lot of cool action? Seriously, were you people really complaining about that realism sh*t before GTA 4 came out? I guess the older GTA games are just suffering that "Seinfeld Is Unfunny" complex these days. Like I got no problem with realism, but why these days, people are all of a sudden disliking a video game just because it's unrealistic when in reality, video games were meant to be fun?

• Ub-Oh, Light Syde Riandy, ten-a-penny and 7 others like this

TedBundyPonyTail
  • TedBundyPonyTail

Nice Feet Girl.

• BUSTED!
  • Northern-Mariana-Islands

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:17 AM

San Andreas is more or less universally loved to the point where it's quite annoying & obnoxious if anything the game has got put on such a pedestal that it's overrated.

To answer your question it's subjective, some people like the more cartoonish older games others like the more not so much realistic but more cinematic experiences that the new games offer, but backlash? please IV & V which I PERSONALLY think are both better games than San Andreas have been subject to far more criticism.
  • Meekail, SergeantGnome, Al3x_XXI and 2 others like this

Alihunter
  • Alihunter

Well, that's embrassing.

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:06 AM

Well i guess god ain't made all people with same ideas.
Therfore, anyone got their own ideas/complaints.
I personally like SA more than any GTA ever made.
The best balance between fun, and reality.
Rest are nice too, though.
  • Dream-_-Traveler likes this

LincolnClay
  • LincolnClay

Olive Green Angel of Death

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:24 AM

If it's unrealistic to the point of laziness, yes. It's bad.

But as for limitations and that, it's ok to make certain things unrealistic. Besides, when has a game ever been so accurate in portraying REAL life. I'm not talking graphics either.

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Playa

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:20 AM

Since never, there was never a "realistic" GTA. The more realistic was GTA IV, and still a Hotdog could heal explosion damage. Immagine if GTA was 100% realistic, where you'd have to pay taxes, food to eat, basic needs (water, electricity, etc), sleep, etc. And by the first missions you'd be a wanted criminal and would probably get arrested as soon as you walked out of your appartment.

Sure, I love roleplaying sometimes and realistic features help a lot, but calling any GTA realistic is like saying Battlefield is a "war simulator".

• Mega, ten-a-penny, Al3x_XXI and 5 others like this

0cta
  • 0cta

No "O"? No Problem!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:25 AM

San Andreas is more or less universally loved to the point where it's quite annoying & obnoxious if anything the game has got put on such a pedestal that it's overrated.

To answer your question it's subjective, some people like the more cartoonish older games others like the more not so much realistic but more cinematic experiences that the new games offer, but backlash? please IV & V which I PERSONALLY think are both better games than San Andreas have been subject to far more criticism.

Seems that the uncanny valley applies to games as well. Move GTA slightly away from a cartoonish setting towards realism and the expectations sky-rocket.

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:02 PM

Honestly,I don't really see how is GTA SA any less realistic and less serious than other 3D GTA games,with the exception of a few missions for Truth and Toreno (stealing a prototype jetpack from a military base, using it to attack a military train, stealing a Hydra from an aircraft carrier, and maybe a few more).All the other unrealistic stuff,like bigfoot, aliens or zombies are just unconfirmed myths.Other 3D games also had some unrealistic and silly stuff,such as junkie suicide bombers in GTA 3, tank theft in VC, Slash TV sidemission and yakuzas with a tank in LCS, a robot, a neonazi gay biker gang and a Hunter theft in VCS...

• Sir Michael and Payne Killer like this

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

the 3d games vice city and san andreas were fun because they were filled with over the top action. video games are fantasy and should never be considered realistic. rockstar strayed from the formula a little with gta 4 and received backlash for it but they redeemed themselves with episode from liberty city dlc games. gta v returned to the old formula of goofy comedy and over the top missions but they fell short and failed to capture the magic that san andreas and vice city had. I still love gta v but after playing san andreas theres no comparison as pretty as gta v is it doesn't come close. one last thing, any body that refers to video games as realistic either lives in his moms basement or doesn't have a life and lives vicariously through gaming.
  • Osho likes this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Osho, 3 weeks ago.

There's a crowd that just dislikes GTA SA, plain and simple. The reasons are not clear to me, other than the obvious controversial ones, but the reason why this "unrealistic" thing gets raised is because GTA 4 was receiving a lot of backlash upon release. So, the moment you criticize GTA 4 for being realistic, for instance, then you know someone is going to list hundreds of things that are unrealistic about GTA SA in comparison to GTA 4.
That's all there's to it. I don't think there are many people who complain about the old games being unrealistic, except of course those who have grown up playing modern games and are not interested in playing old games.

I find the old GTA's to be more believable and quite realistic actually, esp. storyline, than the new ones.
  • Yinepi likes this

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

The Golden Void speaks to me...

• Facade Corporation
  • Poland

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Phnx., 3 weeks ago.

I don't mind an "unrealistic" GTA video game, because... all the GTA games are actually unrealistic. There's no a realistic GTA, just more/less unrealistic ones. Even GTA IV, a GTA video game that's considered by many people "a realism oasis", has some lack of realism. Well, do you have to clean your clothes? How about washing the dishes? Are you able to vacuum the carpet? No, no and no. Using everday houseworks as examples may sound a bit dull, but the point is proper.
  • MiamiViceCity, SmokesWithCigs, DimitriFaustin and 1 other like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I don't agree that there's a significant push for GTA games to be realistic. Those people are really a vocal minority. I know a lot of people associate GTA IV with being the "boring, realistic" game in the series, but in some ways V actually added realism in areas that made the game more annoying, depending on how you view it.

For instance: Taking damage from vehicle crashes, Taking damage or dying from falling into water, high aircraft turbulence, armor that barely protects you, low health, in general it's a lot easier to die than it was in older games.

Also, who's to say realism can't be fun? Personally, I like to do a little bit of roleplaying in GTA games, so I usually like to be given activities that make sense for the character I'm playing. That doesn't mean wacky sh*t can't be in the game, but there's always gotta be a balance between the two, and I guess for a lot of people, neither IV nor V got that balance right.
  • MiamiViceCity, B Dawg, Payne Killer and 1 other like this

Still Madd
  • Still Madd

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 3 weeks ago

I think there's a huge confusion between what you people call unrealism and unseriousness.

• MiamiViceCity, theGTAking101, ten-a-penny and 2 others like this

LincolnClay
  • LincolnClay

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

I miss when GTA didn't take itself seriously. It still doesn't, but I mean in terms of gameplay, like flying mini RC vehicles around and blowing sh*t up. Now, the only unseriousness we get is an unfunny representation of modern day USA.

I love the wackiness of the 3D Univerese. Why'd it have to end? :(
  • Payne Killer, SmokesWithCigs, Still Madd and 1 other like this

Happy Hunter
  • Happy Hunter

Huntèr civil rights activist

• Members
  • None
  • Governor of San Andreas 2017
    Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 3 weeks ago

I love San Andreas and all the old GTAs. I miss them actually.

• LincolnClay and GrudgefromSanAndreas like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 3 weeks ago

I've always found it's the complete opposite. Mentioning "realism" and video games in the same sentence seems to be pure blasphemy among modern gamers because they tend to think video game have to be "unrealistic" to be "fun".

In saying that the term is thrown around too much IMO. Even the most realistic video games will never be truly "realiistic" because it's impossible to replicate the real world in the form of a video game. This is why I prefer "believability" as some games can easily come across as believable, but they still conform to the constraints of a video game.

Regarding the GTA series itself even long before GTA IV's release I was never a big fan of the direction San Andreas was heading with RPG elements I didn't care about, silly side missions like valet, quarry, freight missions etc with barely any context, gimmicks like the jet pack...

However being "unrealistic" wasn't the problem as GTA III and Vice City were unrealistic games in their own right, but I still enjoyed them. San Andreas is a lot like GTA V that's it's an unfocused mess to me.

But like anything one man's trash is another man's treasure.
  • Tycek, RedDagger, theGTAking101 and 6 others like this

Still Madd
  • Still Madd

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Still Madd, 3 weeks ago.

I miss when GTA didn't take itself seriously. It still doesn't, but I mean in terms of gameplay, like flying mini RC vehicles around and blowing sh*t up. Now, the only unseriousness we get is an unfunny representation of modern day USA.

That's EXACTLY what I meant.

• LincolnClay likes this

LincolnClay
  • LincolnClay

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by LincolnClay, 3 weeks ago.

That's EXACTLY what I meant.
Lol, hell yeah man :)
There is one exception. GTA IV was pretty good...

But GTA V nearly derailed the good thing they had going on. It was ok, but it's now nearly nonexistent thanks to its ugly twin. You know what I'm talking about. The reason we never got another game in like three years. ONLINE. The "lets dump whatever BS we come up with into this thing" of the GTA series.

But yeah, what I was gonna say was the term unrealistic doesn't mean bad. I appreciate a good game with realistic graphics, plot etc...but I also love silly, wacky things that make no sense at all, but you're too busy causing chaos to give a sh*t about it.
  • MiamiViceCity and theGTAking101 like this

GrudgefromSanAndreas
  • GrudgefromSanAndreas

Straight outta Pluton's Ass

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 3 weeks ago

GTA IV is closest to being realistic but still has some bugs and glitches both fun and annoying. Speaking of realism, i often wonder why should i go bowling with Roman or play basketball in SA if i can do this in reality. It's not the same as playing NBA cause there you control each player and in SA CJ plays alone. 

Dream-_-Traveler
  • Dream-_-Traveler

Thanks4TheMemoriesGTAIV <3 ILY ALL.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

GTA IV was the turn away point when it came to the story. The multiplayer is why I stuck around for so many years. The story wasnt bad but my fn gawd compared to GTA SA ,GTA IV was depressing, dark, and at times too real. I found that the fun I had was breaking up with kiki and having her tell me how she's so upset that she has been masterbating all night. Hmmm that doesnt seem so GTAish.

CJs first gf allowed you to do DRIVE BYS with her. That seems GTAish. I mean I could go on but nah. GTAV TRIED to bring back the more goofy less serious side of the universe but it still doesn't have that feel the old games had.
  • Osho and SmokesWithCigs like this

VictorVince1239
  • VictorVince1239

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by VictorVince1239, 3 weeks ago.

Yeah I wish the online could atleast be a mix of both like I wouldn't mind having a flying motorcycle. or ability to strap on jetpack while on a motorcycle.

• Dream-_-Traveler likes this

VictorVince1239
  • VictorVince1239

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

They keep porting San Andreas but never add online to it for those old school fans. They could easily make a lot of money if they did that.

• LincolnClay and Happy Hunter like this

LincolnClay
  • LincolnClay

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

They keep porting San Andreas but never add online to it for those old school fans. They could easily make a lot of money if they did that.

They should remaster it with MULTIPLAYER...no GTA Online BS. Add current gen graphics, bring the cut content back in, add more missions and activities and stuff like that. Same goes for previous games.

But what I was going to say was that sometimes having everything be SUPER realistic ruins the game. We want GTA, not The Sims.
  • GrudgefromSanAndreas likes this

VictorVince1239
  • VictorVince1239

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

What exactly in GTA is like the Sims?

• ten-a-penny, LincolnClay and GrudgefromSanAndreas like this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 3 weeks ago

Equating realism to The Sims seems like a common thought-terminating cliche tbh, using the comparison to what's deemed as a more "boring" game in a completely different genre to negate large swathes of criticism or suggestions is pretty lame. Especially since most of the time it's a comparison that doesn't make sense in the first place, as well as sims being pretty unrealistic itself...I can see the comparison being made in fairness when people are demanding comprehensive house decoration, jobs and general things which are directly reminiscent of The Sims but chucking any calls for realism in doesn't make any sense.

As to the topic itself, I'd say the apparent increase in a want for "realism" is due to the increased ability for games to be realistic - in the days of SA and VC games just couldn't really be realistic, not to the levels we have now, due to computational constraints. Complex physics, animations, even just complex models themselves were physically impossible to the levels we have now so it'd be pretty pointless to ask for realism when developers were still trying to get to now seemingly basic things. As for why people would ask for it in the first place, I'd say MVC has the right idea with believability; the more realistic it is, the more it feels like you're taking part in some cool action sequence instead of clicking a button to change the state of some abstracted video game object, which obviously would be seen by many people as not as enjoyable as the former. For a lot of people, with certain games like GTA increased realism is more fun.

It's for this same reason that I find the circlejerk about how "graphics don't ever matter" to flatly be utter bullsh*t and that the push for photorealism has its place. That's for another topic, though.
  • MiamiViceCity, killdrivetheftvehicle, Rodger Cheeto and 3 others like this

LincolnClay
  • LincolnClay

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

Basically, I don't want to have to worry about a lot of things that feel out of place, and just cut straight to the action.

Oh, and yeah, I forgot...we're talking about realism here, that made no sense when I think about it, lol. But you get what I'm saying, right? Boring af...

VictorVince1239
  • VictorVince1239

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

Well I think it should have the best of both that way people can decide for themselves how they're going to play their game. Make it so whoever hosts the free mode session can set it one way or another and go from there.

• LincolnClay likes this

crooky369
  • crooky369

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

Unrealistic is absolutely fine as long as you as the player are the most ridiculous element of the game. If the whole game is wacky and you're just another wacky element to it, well then you're just normal in that world. It's what Saints Row got wrong and GTA has had the right balance of all along. It's an absolutely crucial aspect that the GTA series gets right.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users