Photo

GTAO Unpopular Opinions

637 replies to this topic
Milesinho
  • Milesinho

Playa

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:43 PM Edited by RedDagger, 01 February 2017 - 07:56 PM.

There are quite a few opinions that are frequently bandied around these boards as fact but which are, IMO, simply not the case. Ill start with a couple. Any others?

Myth: The homing launcher has turned LS into a no fly zone.

IMO False: Ive been using helis quite a lot lately to get about and not once have I been shot down except when I was actually going looking for trouble in a Buzzard. You can see where people are and avoid them with ease.

Myth: You need to buy Shark cards to get the most out of the game.

IMO False: Ive been playing this game since day one and never remotely felt the need fill my garages with butt-ugly super cars that I presume are what everybody is blowing all their money on.
  • Lc gta, Dburger, gizmonomono and 8 others like this

Rockstar_Fanboy
  • Rockstar_Fanboy

Homeboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:48 PM Edited by Rockstar_Fanboy, 01 February 2017 - 05:50 PM.

Myth: if you don't buy shark cards, the only way to get things is to "grind."

IMO: False.  Grinding neither objectively exists or does not exist.  It is a state of mind.  Ever hear the phrase, "if you enjoy what you do for a living, you will never work a day in your life?"  Those of us that actually enjoy the game have never grinded, because when we get bored of an activity, we do something else or take a break.  Truth is there are so many ways to make money, that there is no reason to do the same thing over and over again, just because it is 12% more efficient at earning money. 

• junior731657, hotrats773, BumpyJohnson and 21 others like this

REXX
  • REXX

REXX | ALEXA - Content Creator & GTA Photographer

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:53 PM

I reckon the biggest myth is the Karin Snipe :p
  • hugh750, Voit Turyv, Shaundi. and 9 others like this

CaptainMarvel
  • CaptainMarvel

MSpaintophiliac

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:00 PM

Realistic steak
  • DarrenC1888, dorcy, gtafan26 and 8 others like this

Skycam
  • Skycam

Unfriendly Random

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:00 PM Edited by Skycam, 01 February 2017 - 09:31 PM.

Here's a popular/unpopular one.

Popular opinion: jets are such a big problem, one must avoid public freeroam at all costs to get anything done.

My unpopular opinion: they are out there, but not nearly as much as some make it sound. Generally it seems the biggest complainers talk about avoiding public freeroam at all costs.. so what do they even know if they aren't there. I personally haven't been pinned down/forced to leave/even killed by a jet in quite awhile. Again they are out there, but they don't seem to be as prevalent as some would have you believe.

(Not saying anything about how OP the jet is. Not saying jet griefing doesn't exist. I'm saying it's not as common as some make it sound.)
  • slimeball supreme, askinnywhitedildo, hei3enberg and 16 others like this

dieseltech20
  • dieseltech20

Prankster

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:10 PM

Myth: jets are such a big problem, one must avoid public freeroam at all costs to get anything done.
IMO false: they are out there, but not nearly as much as some make it sound. Generally it seems the biggest complainers talk about avoiding public freeroam at all costs.. so what do they even know if they aren't there. I personally haven't been pinned down/forced to leave/even killed by a jet in quite awhile. Again they are out there, but they don't seem to be as prevalent as some would have you believe.
(Not saying anything about how OP the jet is. Not saying jet griefing doesn't exist. I'm saying it's not as common as some make it sound.)

Agreed. I have almost zero encounters with jets. If I do its normally because I have a bounty on my headesk or I'm winning a free roam challenge.
  • AboveAndBeyoncé, Ya Boy Punk Fan and Skycam like this

SiIky Johnson
  • SiIky Johnson

Meth Men Inc.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:16 PM

Myth: jets are such a big problem, one must avoid public freeroam at all costs to get anything done.

IMO false: they are out there, but not nearly as much as some make it sound. Generally it seems the biggest complainers talk about avoiding public freeroam at all costs.. so what do they even know if they aren't there. I personally haven't been pinned down/forced to leave/even killed by a jet in quite awhile. Again they are out there, but they don't seem to be as prevalent as some would have you believe.

this. if you can't take out a jet from the ground in 2017 you should probably stick to invite only or the sims. 

Lay
  • Lay

ToothpickShaker

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

Myth: Public lobbies are a hell hole filled with people killing you at every corner.

False: You can easily avoid players, I've not been griefed since 2015. Secondly, session skipped to join crazy sessions has resulted in me finding out most lobbies have only a small group of players fighting.

• JuniorChubb, R3CON, dieseltech20 and 2 others like this

BlackMilk
  • BlackMilk

A Forgettable Killer

• Members
  • Netherlands
  • Contribution Award [GTA Online]

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:26 PM

There are quite a few opinions that are frequently bandied around these boards as fact but which are, IMO, simply not the case. I’ll start with a couple. Any others?

Myth: The homing launcher has turned LS into a no fly zone.

IMO False: I’ve been using helis quite a lot lately to get about and not once have I been shot down except when I was actually going looking for trouble in a Buzzard. You can see where people are and avoid them with ease.

Myth: You need to buy Shark cards to get the most out of the game.

IMO False: I’ve been playing this game since day one and never remotely felt the need fill my garages with butt-ugly super cars that I presume are what everybody is blowing all their money on.

These aren't exactly myths. They're opinions. You even say "IMO".

The first "myth" you mention is a statement that can be true or false depending on who is in the session. If the pilots are all terrible then the homing launcher CAN turn the whole place into a so-called no fly zone. If they're not terrible, this is different.

The second thing is also just an opinion. You don't need to purchase shark cards to be able to buy stuff in the game because nothing is locked behind a paid content gate or whatever it would be called. However, some people lack the time necessary to keep up with the content updates and aren't making enough money to be able to buy them all. If they're collectors and their idea of getting the most out of the game is simply having a complete collection then they would need shark cards.

Point is that in both of these subjects, people are pretty divided. I wouldn't say it's a 50/50 split, but it's all opinion.

You want a proper mythbusting thread? Name possible myths like (just randomly thinking of stuff here) "you cannot steal and store law enforcement vehicles without exploits or mods".

That's something one might say that can be confirmed true or proven to be false. It would apply to all players and have little to do with opinion.

If you say "IMO false", that already says that it can also be "IMO true". Kind of defeats the purpose. If you want to go that way, just start a discussion the normal way.

• gtafan26 and truffleshuffle03 like this

AboveAndBeyoncé
  • AboveAndBeyoncé

Yonce Fan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:28 PM

Myth: Public lobbies are a hell hole filled with people killing you at every corner.

False: You can easily avoid players, I've not been griefed since 2015. Secondly, session skipped to join crazy sessions has resulted in me finding out most lobbies have only a small group of players fighting.

Right most players are doing CEO Work or MC contracts the past few months I know i always go importing and exporting cars when I get into public sessions

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud
  • DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

here is wondering how long a member title actually could be

• BUSTED!
  • Belgium

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:36 PM Edited by Darth Absentis, 01 February 2017 - 06:37 PM.

myths & fairy tales in GTAO.

-heists are hard.

-you need to cheat or to buy cash cards to enjoy the game.

-things are not overpriced in general since 2016.

-rockstar cares a lot about their fan base.

-using the armored kuruma in general is a sign of being a pro in this game.

-it pays well being an associate in freeroam.

-the tank is currently underpowered.

-the armed jets are balanced.

-if one considers the jets being overpowered the most logical thing to do is to buff everything else.

-implementing an overpowered helicopter is gonna solve most, if not all problems in freeroam.

PS: i do not see this thread end well to be honest.

• CaliMeatWagon, Zader, DEADLY-BREED and 1 other like this

Rockstar_Fanboy
  • Rockstar_Fanboy

Homeboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:10 PM

Spot on.  I was killed by a jet 4 or 5 months ago.  It genuinely took me by surprise, because best I can remember, it was a year or more since that happened, and I am always in FM and not in passive mode.  Jets are truly OP only for the small percentage of people highly skilled to utilize them, and you rarely run into these people.  I have a blast toying with jet people--running them into buildings and getting them to crash.  The irony is that I am good at dong this by taking the time to learn to grief with one in the first place--it taught me their limitations and and how to beat them.  Honestly, if you are getting killed by jets alot, that's on you. 

• Skycam likes this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:13 PM

Wait, so this isn't a myths thread, but an unpopular opinions thread?
  • Tomasak, gtafan26, DarkSavageDeathlyCloud and 2 others like this

BlackMilk
  • BlackMilk

A Forgettable Killer

• Members
  • Netherlands
  • Contribution Award [GTA Online]

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:17 PM

Yes. Another misleading thread title.

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud
  • DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

here is wondering how long a member title actually could be

• BUSTED!
  • Belgium

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

Well, there is a fine line between myths and opinions....and maybe even facts  :sarcasm:

cipher656
  • cipher656

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:50 PM

K/D

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:52 PM

Most of these I wouldn't call myths. In my opinion myths are things like Chilliad mystery and the jetpack.

• LL Cool L likes this

em1b16a2
  • em1b16a2

Post Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:54 PM

Biggest myth online: literally everything rockstar does to the game they do so to boost shark card sales.

It's easily the dumbest thing I read on the forums. Do people think it's cool or something to just say "blame it on shark cards" ?
  • brose_sfr, LL Cool L, update_lsc and 3 others like this

Mach1bud
  • Mach1bud

Gearhead

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Best GTA Photographer 2016
    Coolest Member 2016
    Best Character [Snap] 2016
    Mister Los Santos 2016 Winner
    [Snapmatic Awards 2015] Best Male Character

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:58 PM

Myth: You need a Kuruma or Insurgent or a Super Car or a sport Bike for any activity.

All False: You need none of those things for anything, aside from the Bike and Super car races.
  • Dburger and dieseltech20 like this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:58 PM

Aight, I've changed the title to better suit the content - Milesinho, if you'd prefer a different title just ask or report the post.

Everyone else, play nice ;)
  • Mach1bud, Mangled Crow and PwnageSoldier like this

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

CHECK YO SELF

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:19 PM Edited by ragedandcaged, 01 February 2017 - 08:20 PM.

That GTAO is fun. That we don't need more helicopters. That 8 friends ghosted at once vs a wiggling strafe sniper is an unfair advantage.

That the Insurgent is awesome and I drive it daily.
  • elfoam, xxi and Skycam like this

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:34 PM Edited by DangerZ0neX, 01 February 2017 - 08:35 PM.

This thread in a nutshell.

Myth: Other people's opinions.
Fact: My opinion.
  • Tomasak, FlacidJack, Shaundi. and 10 others like this

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

Get down on it!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:56 PM Edited by pedinhuh, 01 February 2017 - 08:57 PM.

-The Comet Retro is beautiful;
-The Proto X80 is attrocious;
-Highest top speed does NOT equal fastest car in a track, case in point: Pfister 811;
-SMGs are useless;
-Heists are overrated, I still do them but they awful with their stupid requirements of always having 4 players and nobody can die, the payouts should be higher and should have MUCH MORE freedom to execute them, in their current state they are more railroaded than story mode missions;
-Contact missions are still a good way to make money;
-The game is much better now than it was back when it was released.
  • kstowe, Actlikeyouknow and Skycam like this

Rockstar_Fanboy
  • Rockstar_Fanboy

Homeboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:04 PM Edited by Rockstar_Fanboy, 01 February 2017 - 09:05 PM.

That GTAO is fun. That we don't need more helicopters. That 8 friends ghosted at once vs a wiggling strafe sniper is an unfair advantage.

If you don't think it's fun, wouldn't just not play it?  I don't like liver, so I don't eat it.  Why take the time to troll a forum for hardcore fans of a game you think isn't fun?  I am confused.

• Actlikeyouknow, dieseltech20 and Skycam like this

FlacidJack
  • FlacidJack

Gangsta

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:05 PM

Biggest GTAO myth imo... We need to kill to have fun.
  • Lc gta, Dburger, psymin and 4 others like this

Mach1bud
  • Mach1bud

Gearhead

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Best GTA Photographer 2016
    Coolest Member 2016
    Best Character [Snap] 2016
    Mister Los Santos 2016 Winner
    [Snapmatic Awards 2015] Best Male Character

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:09 PM Edited by Mach1bud, 01 February 2017 - 09:09 PM.

If you don't think it's fun, wouldn't just not play it?  I don't like liver, so I don't eat it.  Why take the time to troll a forum for hardcore fans of a game you think isn't fun?  I am confused.
There are a large amount of players and forum members that say they hate the game yet they still play it often.
  • Unruly, Mangled Crow, CaptainMarvel and 4 others like this

Skycam
  • Skycam

Unfriendly Random

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:11 PM

That's why the title was changed to unpopular opinions. I see my mistake now that others have pointed it out. My Post works better now with the new title.

Do you have any unpopular opinions about GTAO that you would like to share?
  • Actlikeyouknow likes this

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:20 PM

That's why the title was changed to unpopular opinions. I see my mistake now that others have pointed it out. My Post works better now with the new title.

Do you have any unpopular opinions about GTAO that you would like to share?
People shouldn't make a big deal and throw tantrums over other players using Kurumas in heists and missions. It may seem like common sense, letting people play the way they want to play as long as they don't ruin your time, but I got downvoted a lot on reddit just for not joining the "kuroomba ruinz mai fun!!!1!!!" circlejerk.
  • hei3enberg, Cackling Jack, Actlikeyouknow and 3 others like this

Rockstar_Fanboy
  • Rockstar_Fanboy

Homeboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:24 PM

There are a large amount of players and forum members that say they hate the game yet they still play it often

This just boggles my mind. 

• Mach1bud and dieseltech20 like this

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:31 PM

There are a large amount of players and forum members that say they hate the game yet they still play it often

This just boggles my mind. 
Here we go again, the common assumption that anyone criticizing bad parts of the game and not enjoying other parts suddenly makes them hate it in its entirety.

If it truly boggles your mind, it shouldn't, the "large" amounts of players "hating" the game is an unnecessary exaggeration.
  • Ghoffman9, DarkSavageDeathlyCloud, Actlikeyouknow and 2 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users