The College/University Thread

31 replies to this topic
infectedG636
  • infectedG636

Red Dead Redemption 2 Prediction Release date: 05/08/2018

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:15 AM

Who's in college and is trying to keep up with Gtafourms?  :D Or are you still keeping up?

Other topic had a misspelling error for the title of the thread

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:13 AM

Y'know you can just report it if you want the title changes ;)
  • Femme Fatale, Darth Absentis and Ivan1997GTA like this

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:19 AM Edited by Andreaz1, 29 January 2017 - 01:20 AM.

What is college even? What is the difference between college and university? This has baffled me for ages.

Synthol
  • Synthol

uWu

• Members
  • Namibia

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:41 AM

What is college even? What is the difference between college and university? This has baffled me for ages.

A university is made up of colleges, but in this case they're sometimes they're called school (i.e: med school).

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

we live as we dream--alone

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None
  • Not Very Punk 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Bloody Ungrateful 2016

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:50 AM

burn down your school

• mr quick, RedDagger, Alexander and 7 others like this

mr quick
  • mr quick

VŚr tid er forbi - Europa brenner!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:51 PM

høyskole my man 

Darth Absentis
  • Darth Absentis

here is wondering how long a member title actually could be

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:54 PM

School ?

Oh...that thing :p

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2016
    Most Corrupt Staff 2014

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

I updated the title. Now if we're going to have a thread for this, stay on topic an cut the spam.

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:56 PM Edited by Arrow, 29 January 2017 - 06:57 PM.

I'm in sophomore year of my Engineering College at NIT. I'm pursuing a Degree in Mechanical Engineering. I don't get to be in an Uni for atleast 2 more years. Planning on doing a Masters Degree before settling down with a good job.
  • Rejeckted likes this

Professor SmackaDabbah
  • Professor SmackaDabbah

Dananananananana she really loves to break

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:10 PM

Interesting timing for this topic to be made considering that today and yesterday for me was spent moving towns to get further education.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:18 PM

Third year I.T student majoring in digital media and entertainment. :)

University Of Newcastle represent.

• Mister Pink, Rejeckted and UshaB like this

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Technology / Programming] 2016
    Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

Usage is a bit different from country to country. In United States, Universities are large institution with research programs in many areas, and offering both undergraduate and graduate degrees in many subjects. Colleges are smaller schools, usually focusing only on undergraduate education, and frequently narrow it to just a few subjects.

On broader topic, technically, I'm still a Ph.D. student, ABD. But my odds of eventually defending are growing slimmer by the day. Long story.
  • Rejeckted likes this

Gummy 
  • Gummy 

F*ck thyself

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:37 PM Edited by Gummy , 30 January 2017 - 01:42 PM.

Well this sucks. I don't know how the system works anywhere else in the world so this can get a bit confusing with the translation.

My father is a graduate of a very high-classed university in my country. My brothers both did not follow in his steps and now he's leaving it up to me to apply for that same university. It is very very hard to get into and thousands of students from all over the country fight to get into that same university. The thing is, I know I'm not going to be able to get in there and I don't want to. I am academically behind and is not a great learner. Either that or he asks me to go to another high classed university and study economics (a subject I did not take in high school not have any interests of, NONE). All I want is to apply at an easier, yet good college and study media/arts but my father isn't supportive about it. He forces me to go to that university just so one of his children can follow his steps and bring a good name to the family, that's it. Even though he knows of my disabilities he still forces me to do so.
  • Rejeckted likes this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:07 PM Edited by Leftist Bastard, 30 January 2017 - 02:08 PM.

Well this sucks. I don't know how the system works anywhere else in the world so this can get a bit confusing with the translation.

My father is a graduate of a very high-classed university in my country. My brothers both did not follow in his steps and now he's leaving it up to me to apply for that same university. It is very very hard to get into and thousands of students from all over the country fight to get into that same university. The thing is, I know I'm not going to be able to get in there and I don't want to. I am academically behind and is not a great learner. Either that or he asks me to go to another high classed university and study economics (a subject I did not take in high school not have any interests of, NONE). All I want is to apply at an easier, yet good college and study media/arts but my father isn't supportive about it. He forces me to go to that university just so one of his children can follow his steps and bring a good name to the family, that's it. Even though he knows of my disabilities he still forces me to do so.

tumblr_mvjnm54xHR1rq17jno1_500.jpg

I know it seems tough now and i'v been in a situation similar to yours before; you may feel pressured to betray your dreams and ambitions for the sake of compromise but you shouldn't. Try to convince your father of supporting your passions to the tooth and nail and if that doesn't work just do what you want to. It may seem hard at first but parents are parents; they'll eventually come around to it and accept your ambition.

I really hope this does not come across as patronizing in anyways, that is not at all what I want it come across as; merely that compromising your future for the sake of another is an often fatal error. What you're the most comfortable doing is what matters.

• Mister Pink likes this

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:10 PM Edited by Fireman, 05 February 2017 - 08:10 PM.

I'm in my master year of Statistics and Methodology (in Psychology) at the University of Leiden.

'S alright, I finally found something that I like doing and that agrees with me, so I'm sticking with it, in the meanwhile I see classmate after classmate drop out as they only chose this master for job opportunities without having any interest in methodology or statistics (or being good at it). Got two more courses to go and one 2-month internship and one master thesis. Should be done by the end of this year... hopefully.

I also never understand how other countries do things. Here you usually do a three-year program for a bachelor's degree and then a one-year program for a master's degree (or two years if you do a research master), that is at university. We also have college (HBO), but here it is considered a completely different level of education and until recently (around 2 years ago) you would get a "Applied" bachelor degree in four years from this college, rather than a "normal" bachelor's degree.

• Switch and Rejeckted like this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:13 PM

I still don't get student loans. That just doesn't happen here.

• Mister Pink likes this

Small Moist
  • Small Moist

you can call me... SUPERLIGHTDUSKMASTER99

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:38 PM

Going to community college and planning on transferring to a 4 year, but just so I can make a decent wage

jrl51592
  • jrl51592

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:05 PM

Been thinking about going back to school and get into either a trade school or a community college once I have a steady-income job.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:35 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 12 February 2017 - 01:36 PM.

Im taking "time off" in between jobs. Been working flat out for last few years. I originally studied media production but will be doing some continued online education either bolster my CV a bit. I did a wee bit of digital marketting but I'll focus my attention to what Im good at get certs for Photoshop, Lightroom and also take further graphic design course.

Aim is to be always continue and develop being a better photographer but also get my foot in the door with graphic design and maybe, mobile app design. I want to keep my skills as mobile as possible, being able to work remotely too if I can or around the world.
  • Algonquin Assassin and Rejeckted like this

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

"It can't be that difficult"

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 12 February 2017 - 04:02 PM Edited by Zombified Andy, 12 February 2017 - 04:05 PM.

My second home... of boredom.

Spoiler

On my second year studying Laws. While the professors are great and gotta say I've been learning a lot not only about laws but also about how the society works and become more aware of things around me and made a couple friends already - yet let's say it's not what I find the most interesting, and it feels weird to see other colleagues that totally love the course and work a lot to get good grades and you see they have fun studying and that's what they like to do, yet I'm more like mehh. Plus, the idea I've been receiving from working as a lawyer seems to be what I'd despise the most to do, I wish I'll eventually either continue my studies to become a judge or candidate myself to enter Polícia Judiciária (the investigation department of police).

Thing is, I'm quite lucky in being on this college. It required quite decent grades to enter and it's quality is very recognized, as long as I put some effort on the studies it'll pay off when I finish it. You might ask why am I on a course I seem not to have much fun on, but well, I don't see anything else I'd like that much either; and I also appreciate the idea of doing justice (that's why I don't want to become a lawyer).

Finally, if you're curious to know how university works in Portugal, in most courses you study for 4 years to get your degree, but you can later then continue your studies on a specific area to get an higher degree. It also took me some time to understand the foreign difference of college/university, but turns out it's just like in Portugal - college = faculdade, which is a singular center related to only one specific area; university = universidade which is a group of colleges/faculdades. There's also the difference between public (like mine) and private universities, where in most cases public ones are not only better but are more recognized, because in a public one you enter on a national-level selection, based on your grades, while in most private schools you just have to pay your loans.

EDIT: forgot to say I actually don't have any trouble keeping my hobby activities and personal life with my studies - I actually have plenty of free time, to be honest. My course is basically investigate the subjects, read and understand (well, tbh most of the stuff is actually memorizing) and I've always been quite good doing that.
  • Rejeckted likes this

Rejeckted
  • Rejeckted

cd00137

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Contribution Award [GFX]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:06 PM Edited by Rejeckted, 12 February 2017 - 08:15 PM.

I study at a University(Electrical Engineering) and tbh I like it more in Uni more than my home most of the times (Morning 9am to 6:15pm), because the environment and weather around there is much inspiring to me. We have like Law, MBA, Science, Pharmacy and Technology. After 5:30 PM when most of students have left, its just a treat to may be visit the cricket ground or just take a walk or how about reading some books while enjoying the nature. 

Spoiler

Btw, now I am in my last semester and I wonder how bad I am going to miss the campus, friends and studies. I don't regret it even a little as some of guys do; as I utilized most of my time to enjoy to the fullest in every way possible when it lasted. 

But now, let me not get much nostalgic and get GTAF into the topic. So I joined back in 2014 when I was in Ist Year of college and the ride of forums along with my college has been no less than an awesome tale. I have always tried to manage time allotted to forums and studies. You shouldn't blame forums if you don't succeed in your task, rather its just you who did the miscalculations. Forum is better than games, wasting time and a wonderful place to relax once you arrive home after attending University. 

As far as exams are concerned I believe that being attentive in lectures would do the trick. Study with friends during exam if you want more discussions. Around 2 weeks before exams, I usually stop visiting forums because I don't find must time and it has always fetched me good marks. Once the exam is done you can be back to forums, cause forums ain't going no where and it is you who has to prioritize and plan stuff. 

So yeah balancing between forums and RL is no tough task, if I have done it for years and so have everybody else; than surely you could do it. Now that I am looking forward to pursue Masters, I am going to enjoy it with forums... I will enjoy while I can as "Nothing is true, Everything is permitted".

• Gummy  likes this

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

"It can't be that difficult"

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:31 PM

After 5:30 PM when most of students have left, its just a treat to may be visit the cricket ground or just take a walk or how about reading some books while enjoying the nature.

That does definitely sound awesome. University of Lisbon (where my college is located) is all crossed by roads, which while it makes it much more convenient to go into, also leaves few open areas and creates a lot of noise (those roads are main city roads, so there's always a lot of movement going on) - and speaking of noise, the airport of Lisbon is relatively close to the area, so planes fly over low enough to make a lot of it.

I gueeeeeess some of the other colleges might benefit more from open areas but I never felt too confident to walk all the way into a place I'm not familiar with just to check that out. Mine's more closed appart some small open gardens and the cafeteria area, but everywhere is always too loud or filled with people.
  • Rejeckted likes this

Adam1987
  • Adam1987

Player Hater

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

I'm currently studying in college. Always happens to me: I plan to do all my tasks in time. But when I force myself to play the game, for example, in GTA, I forget about everything. And I can not do everything in advance. Then there is no time for me, then there is no mood. As a result, at the last moment, I order essays at https://essayshark.com They do everything quickly. But there is a result. And I'm feeling good and my marks are excellent))

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:42 PM

That definitely sounds like a completely legit story Adam.

I just wrapped up my internship, creating a short form of a questionnaire using IRT methods and post hoc CAT-simulations, hopefully it went well, I thought it did.

Now it's just writing my thesis. zurgh, not looking forward to that.

Skeever
  • Skeever

Shall Not Be Infringed

• Members
  • United-States
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:09 AM

I've decided to go to college this Fall. Being the genius I am, I've ultimately chosen to pursue Criminal Justice rather than, say, one of those pesky S.T.E.M. fields that'd actually help me secure a well-paying job.

Ah well, though. It's not like there's any cushy, six-figure jobs up in my neck of the woods to begin with, and I don't plan on moving out-of-state. Munching on donuts and waving my baton at disenfranchised minorities will suit me just fine.

UshaB
  • UshaB

Nacho Libre - "I wanna weeeeeen!"

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:26 AM

Oh f*ck......................

My Mod goes to the same place as me................HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:30 AM

Oh f*ck......................

My Mod goes to the same place as me................HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol. Really?

It's a pretty small world. Which campus do you go to? I'm at Callaghan.:)
  • UshaB likes this

UshaB
  • UshaB

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:35 AM

Lol. Really?

It's a pretty small world. Which campus do you go to? I'm at Callaghan. :)

Callaghan. That is all the information I will give you.

Somebody help me pleaaaaaaaaase!!!! VOODOO SAVE ME!!!

• Algonquin Assassin and Scaglietti like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:37 AM

It would be pretty freaky if we've taken the same classes before and sat next to eachother without knowing.:p
  • Scaglietti and UshaB like this

UshaB
  • UshaB

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:39 AM

It would be pretty freaky if we've taken the same classes before and sat next to eachother without knowing. :p

I am scared for my life. I shall move to Sydney.

• Algonquin Assassin and Scaglietti like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users