Leslie Benzies Talks New Game + New Studio w/ R* Staff

199 replies to this topic
Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:56 PM

I'm not the only one getting Molyneux vibes from this? It sounds ludicrously ambitious. 

Yea, it's very Molyneux. No doubt The Benz and his team are massively talented, but titles that promise the world generally end up delivering something that's massive in scope but very shallow in depth.

The fact he's using Amazon Lumberyard is telling on what type of experience it will be. That engine has basically been designed for online gaming, sharing, and streaming. It was pretty clear from his interviews before GTA V's release that he was very passionate about GTA as an online experience, so I'm expecting some sort of open world multiplayer sandbox game with mission/level creators which they hinted at in the interview.

I do wonder if the reason he left (or was outed) was due to a complete and total disagreement over the future of where Rockstar was heading. The Benz was clearly putting his chips on online experiences, where as the Housers always came off as more traditionalists who valued single player and viewed MP as an extra.

• Kirsty, UltraGizmo64 and Mr. Fartenhate like this

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:02 PM Edited by Spider-Vice, 29 January 2017 - 08:02 PM.

RDR was never directed by Benzies and RDR2 is promising a brand new online multiplayer experience. Not sure it's only on him.

• UltraGizmo64 and BLOOD like this

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:08 PM

RDR was never directed by Benzies and RDR2 is promising a brand new online multiplayer experience. Not sure it's only on him.

You're not wrong. But GTA Online's rise as a money making machine was around or after The Benz left if I recall? And at the end of the day, they are a business and if they can make a few extra hundred million by putting some effort into the online mode then so be it. Though, clearly something more went on behind the scenes, given how close The Benz and the Housers were if the emails are anything to go by.

• Spider-Vice and UltraGizmo64 like this

BlackScout
  • BlackScout

What you want done to your melon?

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:20 PM Edited by BlackScout, 29 January 2017 - 08:22 PM.

RDR was never directed by The Benz.

I wonder if the mess done by the Housers compromised the final product in a way or another... (Since Leslie had to spare some development time to fix the f*ck storm H's were doing).

For example: Final extra additions or ideas that didn't make out in the final game because they had no time. If they were to add anything new they'd need to delay it for some extra months... (The game was delayed anyway but lmao)

streetx1xracer
  • streetx1xracer

F*kn magnets, how do they work?

• Members

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:18 PM

Ex-developers tried to make a gta rival before. Remember the joke of apb reloaded?

BlackScout
  • BlackScout

What you want done to your melon?

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:39 PM Edited by BlackScout, 29 January 2017 - 11:42 PM.

Worst comparison that could have ever been done. It's The Benz we're talking about here. aka main producer of GTA ever since GTA 3.

Not saying that it's impossible to flop but he's done great things...

• JesusFR33K, Ivan1997GTA and AUScowboy like this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:27 AM

^ Well, APB was designed by the guy who made the original GTA (as well as Lemmings) so the comparison is actually very apt.

Anyway, I'm curious which publisher are they gonna go with. Self-publishing such a monster game is unlikely. Squenix is probably the best candidate, especially after they let go of the Sleeping Dogs franchise/studio.

• UltraGizmo64, Mr. Fartenhate and Ivan1997GTA like this

LevelDockSix
  • LevelDockSix

Urban Legend

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • India

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:29 AM

EVERYWHEREForums.com when

• gajrajgchouhan likes this

Jabalous
  • Jabalous

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:42 AM Edited by Jabalous, 30 January 2017 - 07:43 AM.

I don't see The Benz starting a new studio and developing a game based on his name to compete with a franchise as solid as GTA. I doubt that such a thought is crossing his mind, but I'm sure that he knows some people would think that way. He was talking about his 'Everywhere' vision since his earliest interviews about GTA v/Online, and this new move is nothing but a practical translation to that vision, which the Housers might not have believed in. It's an interesting theory that part of the disagreement between them was started because of different visions to how GTA and Rockstar should progress in the future.
  • BLOOD likes this

meson1
  • meson1

Soldier

• Members
  • England

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

This just sounds like a technical concept.  But there doesn't seem to be an indication of what this game is from creative standpoint.  What is the theme?  What is the genre?  Is it space/sci-fi? Is it set in a contemporary setting? is it a GTA clone?  Is it a western?  Basically, he's said almost nothing about it, so it's impossible to visualise and imagine what it is and get 'excited' about it.

• Pastry and BLOOD like this

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:36 PM Edited by Noclue_42, 31 January 2017 - 12:36 PM.

I guess that means I won't have to crowd-fund the Benz and co... Okay then

Whatever comes of this project If it is made For devices other than a PC/PS5 Or something, I'm out. Because f*ck yooouuuu, stupid Phones!
  • UltraGizmo64 and Ivan1997GTA like this

AUScowboy
  • AUScowboy

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:47 PM

^ Well, APB was designed by the guy who made the original GTA (as well as Lemmings) so the comparison is actually very apt.

Anyway, I'm curious which publisher are they gonna go with. Self-publishing such a monster game is unlikely. Squenix is probably the best candidate, especially after they let go of the Sleeping Dogs franchise/studio.

The leap in innovation between 2d and 3d GTA says it isn't so apt IMO..
  • BLOOD and Ivan1997GTA like this

éX-Driver
  • éX-Driver

Hustler

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:57 PM

Going off what's been said about his game, I don't think I'm much interested in it, dunno about the rest of you. I'm not smitten with the idea of 'the story is what you want/everything game for everybody'. Just not my cuppa.
The Benz is a great game designer, and I'm excited to see what he comes up with. I just have no desire to play a game with no point, I quite like single player story-driven/character-driven games. They're like experiencing a novel or a film, like you're the main character. 'Pointless' games are just that, pointless. You spend a lot of time doing nothing. It's a bit like real life. And at that point, why would I spend hours making money in a game to buy something neat when I could be doing that in reality?
I dunno about the rest of you, but working 40 hours a week in a video game sounds really bloody boring.
  • Jabalous, UltraGizmo64, Mr. Fartenhate and 3 others like this

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:45 AM Edited by BLOOD-MOND, 02 February 2017 - 01:46 AM.

Plot twist: Take-Two Interactive acquires The Benz studios (maybe not).

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:56 AM

Given that Take-Two is also directly involved in this dispute, that's 99,9% unlikely.

• UltraGizmo64 and BlackScout like this

Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

🔺

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:51 PM Edited by Mr. Fartenhate, 02 February 2017 - 01:06 PM.

This game is gonna be really super cool and really good.

You can tell because of how many empty spots there are on the hiring list.
And how they're using a free engine.
And how it sounds like the idea for GTA Online, or an early access survival game.
And how it's online only with no story or structure.
And how the pitch is basically vague, meaningless ideas or buzzwords with nothing to show for it.

But no, it'll be a super great game. I mean, The Benz is on it! The guy who invented Shark Cards!
And look at how cool this photo is.

Spoiler

These are some cool guys making a cool video game. Rockstar must be flipping out right now, right guys? Because they've lost themselves what could be a great concept. Because, like, every idea is better when our lord and saviour Lez Benz does it.
  • M0rk, UltraGizmo64 and Bender like this

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:41 PM

I smell another No Man's Sky here and afterward he sell his companies.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:07 PM

Well, if you were more informed you'd know that pretty much most developers these days use a "free" engine, Unreal 4, Unity, etc, if anything I've been told that CryEngine and Lumberyard are the closest ion style to RAGE to work with so if anything he's sticking with what he's worked with for years, well, closest to.
  • Deadly Target, UltraGizmo64, Pastry and 1 other like this

Deadly Target
  • Deadly Target

Rat

• Members

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:07 AM Edited by Deadly Target, 03 February 2017 - 01:13 AM.

This game is gonna be really super cool and really good.

You can tell because of how many empty spots there are on the hiring list.
And how it sounds like the idea for GTA Online, or an early access survival game.
And how it's online only with no story or structure.
And how the pitch is basically vague, meaningless ideas or buzzwords with nothing to show for it.

But no, it'll be a super great game. I mean, The Benz is on it! The guy who invented Shark Cards!
And look at how cool this photo is.

Spoiler

These are some cool guys making a cool video game. Rockstar must be flipping out right now, right guys?

I didn't know Dan Houser had an account on here.
  • Ollie23, UltraGizmo64, Payne Killer and 3 others like this

Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

🔺

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:06 AM Edited by Mr. Fartenhate, 03 February 2017 - 09:21 AM.

Hold on, Dan? Wouldn't Sam be more appropriate? Dan just writes the games, he isn't really involved in the actual business end of stuff. Meanwhile the dispute was mainly with Sam and a few others. Im pretty sure Dan just wouldn't make sense in this case.

And even if I was Sam Houser, I probably wouldn't be wasting my time talking about The Benz's new early access survival game.
  • UltraGizmo64, Bender and BLOOD like this

BillGates
  • BillGates

Boot me up.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:08 PM Edited by BillGates, 03 February 2017 - 08:08 PM.

Hold on, Dan? Wouldn't Sam be more appropriate? Dan just writes the games, he isn't really involved in the actual business end of stuff. Meanwhile the dispute was mainly with Sam and a few others. Im pretty sure Dan just wouldn't make sense in this case.

And even if I was Sam Houser, I probably wouldn't be wasting my time talking about The Benz's new early access survival game.

Cut the crap L3slie. We all know it's you, acting as Dan acting as Sam.

Do they actually have a website or something? Where are the vacancies?

• Titania likes this

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:20 PM

Cut the crap L3slie. We all know it's you, acting as Dan acting as Sam.

Do they actually have a website or something? Where are the vacancies?

http://everywhere.game/

http://everywhere.game/work/

• UltraGizmo64, BillGates, BlackScout and 2 others like this

Rucke
  • Rucke

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:42 PM

I think it's weird that they claim to have over 30 employees when their LinkedIn page only has one employee attached to it.

• BLOOD likes this

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:05 PM

I think it's weird that they claim to have over 30 employees when their LinkedIn page only has one employee attached to it.

Good thing no key talents from Rockstar family of studios (mainly North) did not go with him. And the fact they cannot build an engine only to license a third party is just laughable and sad. God knows if the game will even be released. Long Live Rockstar Games! Long Live Take-Two Interactive!

Note:A prove that North/Rockstar is not a "one-man" group.

BillGates
  • BillGates

Boot me up.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:40 AM Edited by BillGates, 05 February 2017 - 02:10 PM.

@SpiderVince, thank you for the links.

And the fact they cannot build an engine only to license a third party is just laughable and sad.

Developing a powerful game engine from scratch costs millions of dollars and requires lots of more employees. It literally requires A LOT of effort to make a good engine, maintain it (e.g. cross platform) while at the same time maximize its performance. Look at other non-major studios (some even major). Licensing an existing engine is definitely a smart move. Heck, even R* New England, the core folks who maintain the core of the RAGE engine, consists of a good 30-50 people who work full-time on the engine (they of course get help from other R* studios).

That being said, I would agree that by the look of the current R* employees, R* is indeed fine and will remain delivering quality work. 

As much as respect as I have for both The Benz and the Housers bro's, I really don't think The Benz alone with some other team will deliver high quality with a lot less money and resources available for the expectations of the current gaming generation. (late edit: to clarify, I mean open-worldish games, of course other types of games are possible)

Rockstar is the only developer who actually pushes the envelope. It is really like an eye opener for other studios to see what the capabilities are of the current hardware.

• Jabalous, UltraGizmo64 and BLOOD like this

killdrivetheftvehicle
  • killdrivetheftvehicle

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:13 PM

Judging by the website of the company it's going to be a space rpg (like destiny and no man's sky mixed). But that's just the first impression based on the capabilities of the engine.

We have nothing concrete about the game. Maybe it's going to be rpg with the whole world in it.

They said in an interview that there is going to be satire. That would not be possible without a connection to Earth and it's people. Or maybe they're talking about the space as depicted in Hollywood films and shows like Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, Alien, 2001 Space Odyssey, etc and other fiction, like games. There are of course parodies made out of Star Trek (Star Wreck), Star Wars (Space Balls), but I think there is no satire of these in games other than gta.

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:27 PM

@SpiderVince, thank you for the links.

And the fact they cannot build an engine only to license a third party is just laughable and sad.

Developing a powerful game engine from scratch costs millions of dollars and requires lots of more employees. It literally requires A LOT of effort to make a good engine, maintain it (e.g. cross platform) while at the same time maximize its performance. Look at other non-major studios (some even major). Licensing an existing engine is definitely a smart move. Heck, even R* New England, the core folks who maintain the core of the RAGE engine, consists of a good 30-50 people who work full-time on the engine (they of course get help from other R* studios).

That being said, I would agree that by the look of the current R* employees, R* is indeed fine and will remain delivering quality work. 
As much as respect as I have for both The Benz and the Housers bro's, I really don't think The Benz alone with some other team will deliver high quality with a lot less money and resources available for the expectations of the current gaming generation.

Rockstar is the only developer who actually pushes the envelope. It is really like an eye opener for other studios to see what the capabilities are of the current hardware.

Great comment, and tbh i did not know Rockstar New England were the studio maintaining the engine i thought it was RAGE Technology Group (thanks to Wikipedia).
  • BillGates likes this

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:08 PM Edited by Spider-Vice, 05 February 2017 - 02:10 PM.

It's San Diego, not New England! RAGE is even based off Angel Studios' (pre-R*) engine!

+info: https://en.wikipedia...ced_Game_Engine / http://archive.is/WI4j

• UltraGizmo64, BlackScout, Lowi and 1 other like this

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:50 PM

It's San Diego, not New England! RAGE is even based off Angel Studios' (pre-R*) engine!

+info: https://en.wikipedia...ced_Game_Engine / http://archive.is/WI4j

True That. And it evolved into the Top 5 most powerful game engine in the World (#5 on Watchmojo's list and #3 on Machinima's list).
  • UltraGizmo64 likes this

MightyMax
  • MightyMax

Playa

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:43 PM

i hope everywhere be GTA alternative world real with cities real names (Los Angeles.San Francisco,Las Vegas,San Diego,Miami,New York,Detroit, etc.....). I hope they add many home and mansions with interiors and windows not textured.

I hope They give possibly to eat and be fat,slim,fit,muscle . I hope they give opportunity play basket, soccer,golf, surf,etc...

I hope they add skateboard,roller,bike,bicycle. i hope they add many wildlife animals. i hope the weather be best real extrasunny,sunny,clouds, sunrise, sunset :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users