Leslie Benzies Talks New Game + New Studio w/ R* Staff

258 replies to this topic
RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:40 PM

My grammar sucks when it comes to tenses. What I mean is that if in an alternate timeline Benz has left before GTAO started, than we could've gotten a better SP game.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

Rockstar is done. I'm sure the Housers will rush out one last GTA before Benz' masterpiece hits the market, then it's game over for them.

Your absolutely blind devotion is hilarious, especially when you read the part of the interview that suggests that the thing everyone has blamed the Housers for, the expansion of and focus on Online, appears to actually have been all the fault of the Benz. 

• Matty, LevelDockSix, UltraGizmo64 and 5 others like this

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Administrator 2016
    Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:44 PM

The main curiousity for me here is not hype for the game itself (yet at least), but interest in what he is capable of. Basically, I want to know if The Benz is great, or whether Rockstar made him great.

Before all of this even happened, he was known for his talents in developing and organising Rockstar's catalogue, his CV is rich with producer credits, as are the two ex-R* guys that have come with him who were leads in programming and audio. It's always been said how Leslie saved Red Dead Redemption's very bad code right up before it released. But behind them they had a major selling brand, a big budget and multiple studios.

None of this takes away from Rockstar, nor is it ultimately going to change what happens in the future. The Housers have always been famed on good writing as well, and something as big as GTA isn't a one-man game. The question of who was "responsible" for the direction of GTA Online isn't going to be answered explicitly, you're going to keep milking a cash cow if you've got publishers over your head, but it obviously must have been some major directional disagreements that fuelled the original fallout since they had created great things for so long together. So I think that's why we're interested in this studio at the end of the day, not because "omg R* are dead" but because maybe it will reveal what "could have" or "should have" been if he didn't leave.

• Fuzzknuckles, Mister Pink, Spider-Vice and 12 others like this

Darth Absentis
  • Darth Absentis

here is wondering how long a member title actually could be

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:23 PM

GTA 5 might have been my first game, but i do found his interview a really interesting read.

I hope he does well, there is indeed a lack of quality in a lot of complicated games lately i feel(not reffering only to gta 5/online)

• Mister Pink likes this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

Alter Ego

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:50 PM

It's possible that this may have something to do with the title "Everywhere"...I've been waiting for this day for a long time now. (2013 CvG interview)

OdQkhnw.png

• Mister Pink, AndyGanteks, Shaundi. and 4 others like this

FATMANYOU2
  • FATMANYOU2

Keep It 100

• Members

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:04 PM

So I wonder if this new series will actually allow you to live your life as you want? Does that mean choose your career? :monocle:  This is going to be interesting and the hype is going to begin! GET READY! :panic:

• MightyMax and Ivan1997GTA like this

Ivan1997GTA
  • Ivan1997GTA

Proud to Be Loud

• Facade Corporation
  • Russia

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:02 PM Edited by Ivan1997GTA, 27 January 2017 - 06:03 PM.

So I wonder if this new series will actually allow you to live your life as you want? Does that mean choose your career? :monocle:  This is going to be interesting and the hype is going to begin! GET READY! :panic:

I think that would make "Everywhere" (or whatever other game title that the team chooses) the spiritual successor to the Sims games by EA and Maxis. The first 2 games are classics, along with their expansions, and the Sims 3 to a certain degree, the Sims 4... not so much.
  • FATMANYOU2 and UltraGizmo64 like this

quxxo
  • quxxo

Gangsta

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

Rockstar is done. I'm sure the Housers will rush out one last GTA before Benz' masterpiece hits the market, then it's game over for them.

You are retarded. Yes 30 people are going to create a game better than GTA, which is made by multiple huge studios with 300~ people in each one.

mute!
  • mute!

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:23 PM

You are retarded. Yes 30 people are going to create a game better than GTA, which is made by multiple huge studios with 300~ people in each one.

I see what you're saying but take a look at the team that made the epic game that is Witcher 3. Doesn't come close to how many people Rockstar employs to make a game. These 30 people can be heavily talented and can produce a GTA killer. It's not impossible. I don't think it'll happen though, at least with their first major game.

• Mister Pink, UltraGizmo64, Ivan1997GTA and 2 others like this

Rucke
  • Rucke

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:32 PM Edited by Rucke, 27 January 2017 - 10:49 PM.

Very cool! I look forward to read more about this. 

• boyy likes this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:45 PM

In regards to GTAOnline, the original plans for GTAOnline were MUCH different from what we got and have now, the original version was going to be faction based and focus more on the gangs and the police fighting off each other in the city and countryside. But later on Online became much more about what it is now and focused on pushing content and keeping players active and buying.
  • Spider-Vice, Luna Lovegood, D T and 10 others like this

Legomanarthur
  • Legomanarthur

We all want peace! But my peace, not their f*cking peace

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:30 PM

This is pretty exciting, we still have a long way to go before seeing what kind of game this will be, I wonder if Everywhere and GTA will be in conflict with each other, unless Rockstar decides to go back to what GTA is all about, both games could coexist without one trying to best the other, though I don't think this won't be the case unfortunately.

Who knows, this might become the start of a new era for the video game industry.

• FATMANYOU2 and Ivan1997GTA like this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:05 AM Edited by Zello, 28 January 2017 - 12:09 AM.

I wonder where he's going to set the first city for the new game in maybe he tries a version of Vice City in modern day Miami that many people have been asking for if he does people will go crazy.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:17 AM

Maybe it's going to be set... everywhere. :p

• robban and RogerWho like this

Roger Cheeto
  • Roger Cheeto

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:30 AM

Cool concept and all but I wouldn't like GTA to turn out like this.

• Pastry, Payne Killer and Ivan1997GTA like this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:04 AM

30 is just the current size, they're hiring pretty aggressively so there's no telling just how big they're expecting to go.
  • BlackScout and Pastry like this

SchizNitz
  • SchizNitz

yo

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:01 AM Edited by Ollie23, 28 January 2017 - 06:02 AM.

I think that would make "Everywhere" (or whatever other game title that the team chooses) the spiritual successor to the Sims games by EA and Maxis. The first 2 games are classics, along with their expansions, and the Sims 3 to a certain degree, the Sims 4... not so much.
I've always been interested to see another companies take on a life simulator game akin to The Sims, particularly after 4 pretty much sh*t all over one of my most beloved series.
If Everywhere is anything similar to what I'm picturing in my mind, they may already have competition with another game in the works, Identity. https://www.identityrpg.com
  • FATMANYOU2, UltraGizmo64, Pastry and 1 other like this

D T
  • D T

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:39 AM

Your absolutely blind devotion is hilarious, especially when you read the part of the interview that suggests that the thing everyone has blamed the Housers for, the expansion of and focus on Online, appears to actually have been all the fault of the Benz.

Nobody had a problem with GTA Online until the Housers turned it into a microtransaction simulator, around the same time the Benz had left.

Relax Sam, you still have another 5 years or so before you need to start packing up.
  • UltraGizmo64, JesusFR33K and Ivan1997GTA like this

FATMANYOU2
  • FATMANYOU2

Keep It 100

• Members

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

This is pretty exciting, we still have a long way to go before seeing what kind of game this will be, I wonder if Everywhere and GTA will be in conflict with each other, unless Rockstar decides to go back to what GTA is all about, both games could coexist without one trying to best the other, though I don't think this won't be the case unfortunately.

Who knows, this might become the start of a new era for the video game industry.

You said the key word "unless Rockstar decides to go back to what GTA is all about"   that's what Rockstar lost when they got caught up in the online world, left their roots.

I've always been interested to see another companies take on a life simulator game akin to The Sims, particularly after 4 pretty much sh*t all over one of my most beloved series.
If Everywhere is anything similar to what I'm picturing in my mind, they may already have competition with another game in the works, Identity. https://www.identityrpg.com

I took a look at that game, but the only down fall is that it's not on console.

• anthony, Payne Killer and Ivan1997GTA like this

OfficialTwiggz
  • OfficialTwiggz

Typical Assh*le

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

I've heard Leslie just made his own team and studio and will be working on a game which at the moment is called "Everywhere" to rival GTA. 

Ive been hearing that as well. Saw a few thumbnails that entailed "Ex Rockstar Producer makes new game 10x bigger than GTA" but haven't seen any concrete proof.

I'd be excited for sure though.

CarimboHanky
  • CarimboHanky

ROAD TO 100K Player Kills 20K TO GO!

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:40 PM

I've heard Leslie just made his own team and studio and will be working on a game which at the moment is called "Everywhere" to rival GTA.

yeah read about it, saw a few samples of the game engine they would use and it looks promising...

hope it delivers, having 2 companies competing for the top spot of a genre is a win-win for the users.
  • UltraGizmo64, Tofu86_, Pedinhuh and 4 others like this

D.B. Cooper
  • D.B. Cooper

Flow was like a roadside bomb

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

I'm not the only one getting Molyneux vibes from this? It sounds ludicrously ambitious. 

• slimeball supreme likes this

Mr_No
  • Mr_No

SpandX Pckg Co CEO

• Members
  • Puerto-Rico

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:14 PM

yeah read about it, saw a few samples of the game engine they would use and it looks promising...

hope it delivers, having 2 companies competing for the top spot of a genre is a win-win for the users.

Who knows? They might even right some wrongs Rockstar did with the game. Then again, they were part of Rockstar, so they might not do it at all.

xablau8
  • xablau8

Aleatório

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:49 PM

About 30 people are working on the project, this game will not rival GTA.
  • kovaandr and ragedandcaged like this

Gridl0k
  • Gridl0k

On the road to 601

• GTAF Crew
  • US-Virgin-Islands

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

So No Man's Sky 2 then..

• Dream-_-Traveler likes this

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

FURIOUS STYLES

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:57 PM Edited by ragedandcaged, 29 January 2017 - 04:58 PM.

About 30 people are working on the project, this game will not rival GTA.
100% this. They are a startup company also. They won't have near the funds or resources Rockstar does.

@Reddagger. My bad. I was typing while you posted this.
  • Mach1bud and xxi like this

OfficialTwiggz
  • OfficialTwiggz

Typical Assh*le

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:07 PM

^ to be fair (sorry red) BUT the team right now is around 30. Based on their website, they're doing a mass hire to add plenty of more people to the team. Also, they're located on Rockstars back door (tehe) so I wouldn't be surprised if people working at Rockstar left and applied.

Okay I'm done, back on topic people, LETS GO!
  • UltraGizmo64 and Happy Hunter like this

BillGates
  • BillGates

Boot me up.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:41 PM Edited by BillGates, 29 January 2017 - 06:52 PM.

Good luck competing with a team of over 900 people. Remember that the core crew is still at R*. 

Still, it'll be interesting to see what The Benz has to offer with his team. I'm wondering who will back them up financially? Eei Ay?

This sounds like another case of Infinity Ward vs Activision, except that lots of the core dudes are still over @ Rockstar. I though that the two audio guys he joined with had created their own tiny audio consultant company after leaving R*. If R* was really to blame, he would've been joined by lots of other ex-R* employees.

Moreover, if you look at a game like Titanfall (which was created also by 30 ex-InfinityWard employees and more people), it is decent, but nowhere near the quality of the good old MW1 and MW2.

• BLOOD likes this

capton_cutclass
  • capton_cutclass

Dub Sexual

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:05 PM

If they are patient with it it might surprise lots of people.

• Happy Hunter likes this

Happy Hunter
  • Happy Hunter

Huntèr civil rights activist

• Members
  • None
  • Governor of San Andreas 2017
    Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

This could be one of the only games that could give GTA serious competition - or it might be nothing like GTA, hard to say at the moment.

I hope they add an Apache in there.

• RogerWho and Incorgnito like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users