Quantcast

» «
Photo

Technology Abuse Causing Severe Depression?

3 replies to this topic
VivianGaming
  • VivianGaming

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:50 AM

I have a problem. I can admit that. I spend way to much time in a world that exists beyond my own around me. On average I spend around 16 hours a day on some sort of device. Which is just about every waking moment. 

No, I don't have a job. In California I want to go and get one, I have to get a damn degree which I am 20% of the way finished with (Of course, online) 

Every time I get no calls back and waste all that time. I die inside a little and return to a virtual world. It's gotten to the point where I picture everyone around me in the real world like another mindless NPC. It feels like I am unnoticed. 

It also doesn't help that I have a degenerative disease (Essentially I am lester) so manual labor is out of the question.

I don't know where to turn. I'm not suicidal, I'm just looking for a way out of this rut that's been going on for 2 years now. 

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

Alter Ego

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:45 AM

I have a problem. I can admit that. I spend way to much time in a world that exists beyond my own around me. On average I spend around 16 hours a day on some sort of device. Which is just about every waking moment. 

No, I don't have a job. In California I want to go and get one, I have to get a damn degree which I am 20% of the way finished with (Of course, online) 

Every time I get no calls back and waste all that time. I die inside a little and return to a virtual world. It's gotten to the point where I picture everyone around me in the real world like another mindless NPC. It feels like I am unnoticed. 

It also doesn't help that I have a degenerative disease (Essentially I am lester) so manual labor is out of the question.

I don't know where to turn. I'm not suicidal, I'm just looking for a way out of this rut that's been going on for 2 years now. 

I'm in a similar position to you, and might be able to give some advice.

The job market in the state is very competitive. Of course, this has to factor in what exact position you're trying to apply for, what degree you're trying to complete, etc. But it's really something that you have to have a job pre-planned before making the switch (this is true for all states/cities really, it's just more prevalent here.)

If it's convenient for your budget and degree, there are plenty of other options available to you than just CA. Raleigh and Charlotte, NC seem to be popular choices for a more inexpensive way to start a career, both with relatively low-income friendly housing. Upstate NY also comes to mind. The main issue is fitting it with your degree, and budget. Not everyone can move cross-country, or even cross-state, for a job opportunity - but it seems like that is your only option in this case.

Plus, the housing market in California, even apartments and renting - is prohibitively expensive. Unless you have a great opportunity and plan thought out, and you deal with roommates - you're not going to last long (which is why the above options are listed.) And I doubt there's a flourishing tech industry boom in Stockton or Fresno.

All in all; keep looking for job opportunities that suit your degree in areas that serve low-income housing and are convenient to relocate to. This may be difficult given your physical conditions, indeed, but it's somewhere to start.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:23 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 25 January 2017 - 05:24 PM.

to mutch artificial light will affect your health in a negative way, it is proven that it decreases the production of your body to produce melatonin and will affect your ability to have a good night sleep, or to think straight. i know when we are young we dont give a sh*t about that. its not just depression but also other health problems like high blood pressure, diabetes etc..

my advice.. force yourself to like other things that are not in front of a monitor

MVX11V
  • MVX11V

ShOuLd KnOw BeTtEr.

• Members
  • Haiti

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:38 AM

Turn it all off. Firstly, you are not alone and many are or have been there... I've been there, it's an easy escape and highly addictive. Checking this, checking that, playing a bit of whatever... Before you know it, the day is done, it's 4am and you haven't eaten all day. The basics of living become a messy trap.
I closed everything down, stopped keeping up to date with tech and I haven't participated in any social media for some years but the console still got way over used.
Games like GTAO are the worst for people in the situation that I was in. They are very good at killing time.
I worked for myself and went through a really dry patch, social media is depressing as everyone posts how fantastic their life is, but the truth is that we all have problems and some are better at ignoring them and painting some sort of false facade than others.
The fact that you recognise that you are struggling is a good thing, talking about it is an even better step to take.
I've lost a pal who couldn't find a way out, he had the biggest and the best PC, like a mini cinema was his room, cost thousands it did, but he had issues with life, wouldn't speak to anyone, lost his job and lived in that room on the pc for years, he became an abusive recluse. No one could get through to him so of course we moved on with our own lives. Sadly after 6 years, he took his.

I think that made me aware of how absorbing technology can be to the point where the fragile existence you are reduced to eventually can be swallowed up.

I am nearly 40 years old, I don't watch TV, mute adverts on the radio, haven't read a newspaper for years, not on any social media and this post is probably going to be the longest that I spend on any website today. I also hit the master reset and totally changed careers which involves a lot of studying and exams and with 4 kids... It's not easy.

What prompted me to just shut down what I was doing and the situation I ended up in was someone just saying to me 'you make your own luck'. It's taken me 20 years to realise that. By immersing myself in a new future and investing in myself I am no longer immersing myself in games. My XBONE is collecting dust, my phone lays idle and holds a charge for nearly a week and my tablet is used for revision/ information. The priorities have changed.

So, turn it all off, communicate with those that can help and 'go and make your own luck'. There is always a way out.
  • Rejeckted, Small Moist and jrl51592 like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users