Quantcast

» «
Photo

Let's Talk: The beginning of the end for GTA Online?

GTA Online
53 replies to this topic
Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

This was inevitable and makes sense. While the updates never mattered to me, apart from the Vehicles they are a great source of fun if you've a nice group of friends to play with. The only regret I have is that the GTAO updates ceased to add anything new and significant to SP over the time. Rockstar become too engrossed in trying to make GTAO a standalone and abandoned the GTA V SP. Half of the new updates lack optimization and are put together rather casually. There are server issues, vehicles & boats disappearing, random money awards, cargobob based malfunctions and what not.

TBH, I've given up on GTAO ever since the Snowfall stopped. Rockstar was trying way too hard to push the Consoles and PCs to their limits. The game size is unnecessarily big. And it's not surprising now that they're abandoning it. They'll probably want to make another GTA Installment that has even larger file sizes. It won't matter if the current PC or Console setups wouldn't able to run it. The game will keep falling short. While Rockstar expects us to be hyped, they don't realize how much they've lost due to the lack of focus on a proper single player mode & content (that includes the 3 protagonist) system,  lack of optimization and there's probably more.

The above raises concern for the RDR2. It's good that they're chipping in all they can to get it developed, but they're sure to lose the RDR cult/fanbase if they keep making the same mistakes as GTA V. Yes, GTA V did feel challenging but it was hollow at the same time. The frequent changes made it difficult to be enjoyed. Hopefully RDR2 can fill the gaps left by GTA V.

• CartmanKusanagi, Darth Absentis and Yinepi like this

Darth Absentis
  • Darth Absentis

here is wondering how long a member title actually could be

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:19 PM Edited by Darth Absentis, 24 January 2017 - 12:27 PM.

out of ideas ?

Lol, how about balancing the game ?

Besides that, yes, there are never gonna be an end of people requesting new cars and i am pretty sure that at least some people would love new cars, even if they are kinda boring, but yea, i get why they have to draw the line somewhere on this one.

The GTAO Updates used to be available for story mode then stopped when the updates got bigger.

Didn't Rockstar say that GTA Online would eventually be its own stand alone game back in 2013?.  Whenever the next GTA is here we could see everything that we have now and bring them across to the next GTA and continue growing the online experience that way.

Yea well, i would take anything they said back then with 10 20 kg bags of salt since they also promised single player DLC, but afterwards went even so far as denying they ever claimed such a thing.

To be fair, Didn't Rockstar actually state when the last update for Max Payne would arrive? Anyways I believe they'll do the same for gta.

So until then, I'm not complaining.

Pretty sure they will, they also anounced way beforehand when they planned to stop updating old gen's GTAO.

Funny enough, even with that there were still people that somehow missed that memo and acted surprised....god, i have the feeling the online section will be again a blast to go trough when RDR2 actually arrives and when they announce something official regarding the last updates for GTAO.

Fine for me, as long as they will regularly release bug fixes. Game is crazy ridden with bugs since lowrider update and haven't been fixed since than, only adding more broken code.

It was a crazy run, I had fun while at it, but I don't think it's over, Hunter is still in their game assets at offices, so heists may live once more  :)

Yea, i really hope that before they stop updating completely they will get rid of all major bugs, but i personally doubt they will when i look back at how they ended updating old gen.
Since god, even the T-20 is still a broken on that version.

Besides that, i honestly hope(again, doubt it will happen) they just double the payouts on everything except maybe heists period in about a year or so, since their crappy matchmaking is pretty much the main reason why most people don't even play half of their content that is actually in this game.

PNutterSammich
  • PNutterSammich

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:53 PM Edited by PNutterSammich, 24 January 2017 - 12:54 PM.

We all knew it would come to an end at some point. For now I'm just going to uild up my bank to transfer my characters over to GTA:O 2.

I think another big question will be: will they let us transfer our wealth as well?

Yes, I have a lot invested in this game including SherkCerds. But for every one of me there's a dozen glitched and/or modded accounts. How would the economy work if you could transfer over a billion dollars right off the bat?

johnson.
  • johnson.

Detective

• The Precinct
  • Canada
  • Most OGA Member 2013
    Most OGA Member 2014
    Most OGA Member 2015
    Most OGA Member 2016
    Most OGA Member 2017
    Most OGA Member 2018

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:32 PM

One last Heist update...

LL Cool L
  • LL Cool L

Living Healthy

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:06 AM

lol, ill keep playing til the next one comes out anyway....

itll just not be as often

Adrian J.
  • Adrian J.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:45 AM

Beginning of the end? I personally say good riddance.

It's been fun for the first year, then the in-game prices went through the roof and updates became stale, and if you spend more time grinding in game than in real life then you have a problem.

Since the "Ill gotten gains" I just jumped on and off every new update to see what's what, but other then that... meh.

But as knowing Take2 they will try to squeeze more. Why? RDR2 multiplayer won't be a cash cow for at least two reasons:

1. Smaller player base, a lot of squeekers and players in general won't find wild west interesting, no chrome Adders (or whatever new hottest car is) etc.

2. How would they utilize micro-transactions in a western? You're not gonna be buying apartments or vehicles, unless they gonna come up with golden unicorns, chrome carriages or something.

I don't know, loyal GTA:O players will stay until the end, few updates and that's it.

Maibatsu545
  • Maibatsu545

veritas vos liberabit

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:49 PM

For me, online died about two years ago. That's when all my IRL friends stopped playing. Everything since has been too little too late. Heists took way, way too long to come out, and when they did, they were completely mediocre. Absolute failure on Rockstar's part. Took wayy too long for them to implement things like CEO work and vehicle runnng. Shouldve been there since day one.

I basically look at GTAOnline as a scam, a way for Rockstar to oush those shark cards, you inow, the thing that singlehandedly managed to destroy what little respect I had left for Rockstar.

Good riddance to GTAOnline.

Martin890
  • Martin890

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:47 PM Edited by Martin890, 28 January 2017 - 06:51 PM.

it makes no sense at all to say that Red Dead Redemption 2 online will replace GTA online !! like seriously though ?! Red Dead Redemption 2 online's contents will never be as big as GTA online contents !! what else are they going to add other than a black, white and brown horses and maybe a unicorn !! and a few cowboy outfits ??!! in my opinion the only thing that will replace and end the current GTA online is the release of GTA 6 !!

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Administrator 2016
    Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:35 PM

"Replace" is the wrong word really. "Move on from" is a better way of looking at it. No one really expects RD to come above GTA, they are two different genres and RD isn't trying to be GTA, so chrome horse shoes and such is silly talk. You just can't expect them to keep working on something when they have other games being published and developed. Do other Rockstar games still get updates? Nope. Of course, GTA Online might be a different ball game since it still makes a lot of money so it's not like this will be effective immediately. We're just bringing up the topic since RDR2 is meant to be out this year, so the transition might have started without us knowing it.

• CartmanKusanagi, Cobhthaigh and Yinepi like this

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

FURIOUS STYLES

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:00 PM

If it does die, it has had a great run IMO and I certainly got my moneys worth.  I am nearing 200 days played.  I will continue to play it until the next iteration comes out.  I played IV MP for 5 years and it couldn't hold a candle to this game.  IMO

• Kirsty and xxi like this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Most Creative [Writing] 2016
    Most Talented Writer 2015
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:16 AM

"Replace" is the wrong word really. "Move on from" is a better way of looking at it. No one really expects RD to come above GTA, they are two different genres and RD isn't trying to be GTA, so chrome horse shoes and such is silly talk. You just can't expect them to keep working on something when they have other games being published and developed. Do other Rockstar games still get updates? Nope. Of course, GTA Online might be a different ball game since it still makes a lot of money so it's not like this will be effective immediately. We're just bringing up the topic since RDR2 is meant to be out this year, so the transition might have started without us knowing it.

A good point. Grand theft horse is different to grand theft car (:p), so on one hand with GTA being a behemoth of a franchise and rdr not, perhaps the micro transaction business plan is only relevant to GTA.

But on the other hand, if they implement it to Red Dead Online, and even if it's half as successful as GTA, it'll still be a great cash cow to milk.

I think either way rockstar HAVE to focus on single player. The reason the GTAO update cars aren't available in single player is simple: to get you playing online. Want this car? Go online. The reason the prices are so high in game? If you don't want to grind, buy a shark card. And it worked. Doing so to RDR, a less saturated fan base, would be unwise. Look at the still strong anger over no pc of RDR1 (that abbreviation doesn't work at all!!!) I think rockstar have no excuse not to deliver a top notch story and game mechanic ALONGSIDE a top notch multiplayer. Just a question in my eyes of whether they will or not - take the easy and quick earning road of online focus (which is the market demand) or take the old school rockstar method of going against the grain and going for raising the bar, and working harder?

Let us hope at least.
  • Kirsty likes this

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:48 AM Edited by Spider-Vice, 29 January 2017 - 01:49 AM.

With RDR2, they're definitely still pushing for the online experience, as can be seen from the press release, that is obvious. I fully expect them to follow the GTA Online format, but in a different way, because, as you said, Grand Theft Horse, not Grand Theft Auto/car, in essence. Things are going to have to work a little bit differently. The Wild West still is a place for adversary modes (restricted to their time period and feature set), bail bonds, and all kinds of stuff they can cram into it. Despite this though, I think they might deliver a much  better SP this time, as RDR is a much more mature franchise than GTA, it'd be an even bigger travesty if they screwed that up.

• Mokrie Dela, Kirsty and CartmanKusanagi like this

EVOLUT7ON
  • EVOLUT7ON

#BeMyValentine & #BIKERS snapmatic contests winner

• The Connection
  • United-States
  • Best Funny [Snap] 2016
    Mister Los Santos 2016 Runner-Up

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:12 AM Edited by EVOLUT7ON, 31 January 2017 - 01:34 AM.

I dont think so... RDR2 and GTAO will live all together. One month will be dedicated for RDROnline, one month - for GTAO (updates and newswires).

After RDR2 (2017) we will see Bully2 (2018) and only after that - GTA 6 (2019). So, i guess R* will make updates until new GTA, so till that moment people will buy sharkcards (they have an interest to play and explore new updates).

We did not even see the next update after Imp/Exp and already judge about it... though, if you decided that it's the beginnig of the end for GTAO, you are welcome :)

BillGates
  • BillGates

Boot me up.

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:29 AM

When is Yan2295 releasing his interview with the ex-R* employee?

That being said, RDR2 will never release in 2017 but early 2018. :breadfish:

Silent_Maniac
  • Silent_Maniac

dat one weird dude

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:38 PM

It has to end sooner or later...
There are just some things that cannot be changed or implemented, limited by the game engine or whatever.
Personally I think that there will be another GTA Online with the release of GTA VI or VII with brand new innovative game mechanics (probably won't have everything from the current gta:o, just to support the new one with updates and milk money from players wit dem shark cards)

Alvarez
  • Alvarez

Boss

• Members
  • None
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:02 PM

I don't think GTA Online will be abandoned completely but there will be the end for San Andreas as we know it.
The End will come gradually with release of new tools, until in the end we get absolutely everything, because none of this will matter anymore.
Then maybe the next installment will incorporate the map of San Andreas, unless it's gonna be a totally new level of graphics.
  • Happy Hunter and LibertonianGirl like this

Red Lynx 23
  • Red Lynx 23

Scared I'll kill you all day instead of getting crates

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:22 PM

I'm still wondering if they'll go the route I imagined. That GTA Online had a beginning with Lamar meeting our characters at LSIA, that if there will be an ending? Just like the story mode in singleplayer games. Then we will appear in freeroam again.

TheHolyNZF
  • TheHolyNZF

Thug

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:53 PM

I think GTA:Online 2 will just be like oversized update to GTA: Online.

I think they will keep the map and vehicles, atleast to some part. They are great and a result of a lot of work.

Also I hope some of the stuff we own now in GTA:Online will carry on to the GTA O2. They have all of our info stored on their databases, so why not?

I think they'll just replace the engine 99% because the engine is getting old. But by doing that they might also have to do a completely new map. Dunno how 3D modelling&rendering in games is going to change in the next few years.

The Next "Story DLC" might aswell be the next Online, as the current Online has very loose and incontinuous storyline.

Dust
  • Dust

Debater & Speculator 🌐 RANK 1151

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:26 PM

I still have high hopes for some kind of Map Expansion to San Fierro and/or Las Venturas. It's hard to take that kind of rumor with a grain of salt when a large portion of the community is talking about the possibility. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Rockstar plan this back in 2013 but they couldn't implement this because the PS3/XBOX 360 didn't have the capacity and horsepower?

So the rumor goes that since then Rockstar has been upgrading said map expansion for the PC, PS4 and XBOX ONE....

I would love to throw another $60 at this game for a completely new experience -no sarcasm! 

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:00 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 04 February 2017 - 05:53 PM.

I still have high hopes for some kind of Map Expansion to San Fierro and/or Las Venturas. It's hard to take that kind of rumor with a grain of salt when a large portion of the community is talking about the possibility. 
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Rockstar plan this back in 2013 but they couldn't implement this because the PS3/XBOX 360 didn't have the capacity and horsepower?
So the rumor goes that since then Rockstar has been upgrading said map expansion for the PC, PS4 and XBOX ONE....
I would love to throw another $60 at this game for a completely new experience -no sarcasm! 

That's highly unlikely, I'm afraid, buddy. And more people talking about it give doesn't make the odds higher either. And trying to keep propping up this dead thing like Weekend At Bernie's by adding additional map would get tiresome. The old part of the map is still the old part of the map and to pay 60 smackers worth of cabbage for an add-on? Put the crack pipe down! :p

I think the article/post posted by Kirsty is the logical conclusion.

I'm happy for Online to die. It was a fun when I wasn't waiting in a lobby, being tried of the grind, extortionate prices, quitters, macro-transactions (that wasn't a typo) and loading screens.

In all fairness, it's not Rockstars fault humans are sh*tty and we have quitters, hackers, squeekers and c*nts playing music down the mic. Don't get me started on people playing music down the mic.. I mean I love the experience of taking public transport and some fat, little, decrepit, botchling down the back of the bus playing Bass Hunter on her phone making half of the population on the bus that wasn't suicidal (because they have to go to their sh*tty job in a factory so they afford Shark Cards), suicidal - brought in to the comfort of my own home to experience. I can blame Rockstar or maybe The Benz for driving the focus to Online. It's amazing when it works but it only worked about 12% of the time for me. It just requires the stars to align, a full moon and silver in your back pocket to meld together to have a good experience. 

It's one of the only games where I make sure I have a phone or laptop nearby to keep me entertained while stuck in a lobby with some crossed-eyed twat from Essex called Jamal from blasting So Solid Crew or some crap. 

Gimme SP experience again ma'faw's, New city, Boston maybe. Irish and Italian mobs among others.
  • DimitriFaustin likes this

WFD1992
  • WFD1992

CEO Of Halfeticorp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:36 AM

Online is most likely gonna continue on for a long time, even if new content isn't release after 2018.

• LibertonianGirl likes this

Hgrunt_Murphy
  • Hgrunt_Murphy

You got nothing.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:42 AM Edited by Hgrunt_Murphy, 22 March 2017 - 05:43 AM.

I don't believe GTA Online will die soon.

Reason? Competition.

GTA Online has NO competition. There is no other game that can take its throne. APB:R is the closest game that comes to it - but even then it is really far away from GTA Online.

As long as GTA Online has no competition - it can go on for really long.

Kind of like Team Fortress 2 did. It only really started losing members when Overwatch came, but as the two games are different enough, it still has a LOT of players after a DECADE.

The only thing that could really kill Team Fortress 2 is Team Fortress 3, and the same is for GTA Online. By why shut down a game that makes so much profit?

They'll either delay the next GTA and its multiplayer component until GTA Online doesn't bring big enough profits, OR they will uphold their promise and make GTA Online a game of its own that perhaps upgrades itself with the new GTAs.

As for RDR2 - the two games are really different. It is a cowboy theme. It has no helicopters, cars, modern tech, etc. I don't see how RDR2 can overtake GTA Online.

The update speed though? Definitely will decrease over time, just like it did with TF2 - that went from daily to weekly to monthly updates over its time.

Hgrunt_Murphy
  • Hgrunt_Murphy

You got nothing.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:47 AM

Beginning of the end? I personally say good riddance.

It's been fun for the first year, then the in-game prices went through the roof and updates became stale, and if you spend more time grinding in game than in real life then you have a problem.

Since the "Ill gotten gains" I just jumped on and off every new update to see what's what, but other then that... meh.

But as knowing Take2 they will try to squeeze more. Why? RDR2 multiplayer won't be a cash cow for at least two reasons:

1. Smaller player base, a lot of squeekers and players in general won't find wild west interesting, no chrome Adders (or whatever new hottest car is) etc.

2. How would they utilize micro-transactions in a western? You're not gonna be buying apartments or vehicles, unless they gonna come up with golden unicorns, chrome carriages or something.

I don't know, loyal GTA:O players will stay until the end, few updates and that's it.

1. On the contrary - RDR was a very successful game for people of all ages, and had a pretty big community. I wouldn't be sure that squeekers won't buy it. They tend to hop on to the hype train and get involved in the hottest games, which I'm sure RDR2 will be.

2. You can put micro-transactions in ANY game of ANY type - trust me. Just let Rockstar (T2) do it - it is their job. You'd be surprised how many creative ways you can put microtransactions into a game. I have no doubt it will happen in RDR2.

STINKY_BAWLZ
  • STINKY_BAWLZ

Money Maker & Life Taker

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:32 AM

In regards to the lifespan of GTAO, i gotta say, its been goin strong for over 3 years now, and while yes the online world of los santos and the state of san andreas is a vast one, we do have to come to terms with the fact that its not gunna be kickin around forever. However... That being said, this would be a really good opportunity for R* to implement our online persona's into the next of the gta series, where ever the next of the series takes us, our online characters should be able to follow and continue our online escapades in a new city (granted R* stick with the modern era and dont fall back onto a different timeline) regardless, R* has an opportunity to keep their online community well intact if they decide to pull it off properly instead of having people to remake their characters. i wonder if theres a way to be able to transfer an online character from one game, onto the next series of the same game and keeping certain things intact like rank (because realistically nobody should be able to hit rank 8000 on an online game thats been out for 3yrs unless thats the only game you play and your playing it 24/7)  im not too sure if transferring online money would ever work but it sure would be useful for all the people that are currently buying up sharkcards.. but at the same time it would take away from that experience of starting from scratch in a new city so idk how R* would go about it. but i think it'd be a cool concept.

i mean look at WOW and how many expansions they have and are probably still gunna get, its continuos gameplay without a break from your online character, granted Blizzard charges for its expansions, but honestly i must have been saying this for at least 2 years now that " i would gladly pay for a map expansion for gta considering all the free content they provide in the updates that doesnt require you to spend a single penny"  but i digress.

whatever R* does, im sure it'll have that sweet midas touch that seems to follow with every game they pump out :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users