Photo

Recovering Data From Computer

8 replies to this topic
D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:38 PM Edited by D9fred95, 22 January 2017 - 06:51 PM.

I'm trying to recover some files from my old computer. It's a Compaq Presario CQ5600F desktop. It's said there are several different external USB drive enclosure's that are supported, mainly SATA, SATA II, SATA III or, IDE. I don't know which one my type of computer uses and I don't want to take it apart yet because I don't want to leave the hard drive out. I know I could just put it back in but I'm a very "in the moment" type of person. I don't want to buy the wrong external USB drive enclosure unless I know which one I need.

I could also use tips on how to do this with as little hassle as possible.

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:05 PM

I'm having a hard time understanding you. Do you have an old PC with a hard drive with info you want back on it?

Why do you want an external enclosure? The easiest would be to just install the hard drive inside another PC and retrieving whatever data it is you want. If you do want the hassle of taking the hard drive out, installing it in an enclosure and using USB to getting the data just open the PC up and see if the hard drive uses SATA or is so old it uses IDE. All SATA generations are backwards compatible and uses the same connectors.

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:27 PM Edited by D9fred95, 22 January 2017 - 07:31 PM.

I'm having a hard time understanding you. Do you have an old PC with a hard drive with info you want back on it?

Why do you want an external enclosure? The easiest would be to just install the hard drive inside another PC and retrieving whatever data it is you want. If you do want the hassle of taking the hard drive out, installing it in an enclosure and using USB to getting the data just open the PC up and see if the hard drive uses SATA or is so old it uses IDE. All SATA generations are backwards compatible and uses the same connectors.

My old computer broke but the hard drive is still good. I want to get files from the old computer onto to my new one. 

My new computer is a laptop so I can't install the old hard drive into it. I want the files directly on my new laptop too.

I looked it up on HP's website and it seems that the hard drive uses SATA. Now I need to know what kind of transfer cable would be best.

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:50 PM Edited by Andreaz1, 22 January 2017 - 10:51 PM.

Never done this myself but I think you'll need to buy some kind of housing for the hard drive. Something along the lines of this: https://www.amazon.c...85125222&sr=1-2 That particular one seems to come with both power and USB cable. When you're done getting your data off of it you can format it and have yourself an external HDD for backups and such.

You can't connect a SATA HDD directly to your laptop as far as I know as a hard drive or SSD requires both a data cable and a power cable in order to function.

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:07 PM

Could this possibly work just as well? http://www.ebay.ca/i...utorefresh=true

Also, it says it supports Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP and Vista. My laptop uses Windows 10. Does that matter too much or would I just need to download something?

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:13 PM Edited by Andreaz1, 22 January 2017 - 11:14 PM.

It's the same thing so I can't see why it wouldn't but if I had to guess I'd say the quality of it is pretty horrible. I suspect the reason it only lists up to Vista is because it's so old, it should work just fine on newer OSs as well. It only has USB 2.0 so if you're transferring large files it'll take longer.

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:19 PM

It's mostly just 30GB of stuff. I might not even take all of it but I do need most of it.

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:26 PM

Well it should work fine. Which one you get is up to you really. As I said, if you format the HDD afterwards you'll have an external drive for future back ups.

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

Did you manage to get it sorted and transfer your data?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users