Unhandled Exception: c0000005 at address: 005c2b31

9 replies to this topic
wutanut
  • wutanut

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:24 AM

Hello, I recently purchased this game for Steam, and after some time playing, the game will inevitably crash with the above error.  Sometimes it will happen within mere minutes, other times maybe within an hour or so.  It's getting quite frustrating, especially as I'm currently trying to tackle the Vigilante missions, but I keep getting that error.

The game is installed as is, no cheats, mods, etc.  I saw it was suggested elsewhere to delete the gta_vc.set file and reboot / re-install the game.  No luck.  Something about disabling Data Execution Prevention for the game.  Again, same result.

System specs are:

Windows XP SP3

2.93 GHz, 3.50 GB of RAM

Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX / 9800 GTX+

Any help would be appreciated.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

Chocolate

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Hong-Kong
  • Major Contribution Award [Mods]
    Helpfulness Awards [Mods]

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:52 AM

Have you tried reinstalling the game? The game usually crashes there when a dynamic object is misbehaving, which is normally not experienced if the game is not modified.

Helegad
  • Helegad

Ass Technician

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

What are your temperatures like? How old is your Windows install?

wutanut
  • wutanut

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:15 AM

Have you tried reinstalling the game? The game usually crashes there when a dynamic object is misbehaving, which is normally not experienced if the game is not modified.

Yes, the issue still persists.

What are your temperatures like? How old is your Windows install?

No idea what temperature the CPU is at, but I doubt it's overheating; I clean it every so often anyway.  As for this copy of Windows, I think it was installed several years ago.  If you're suggesting a Windows re-installation, that seems a bit much.

Helegad
  • Helegad

Ass Technician

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:22 AM Edited by Helegad, 21 January 2017 - 03:23 AM.

Windows is known for its "rot", something which Unix-based system like Linux and Mac aren't really susceptible to. You should be reinstalling Windows at least every two years. Might seem "a bit much", but you never know what other problems that'll fix too, especially as a gamer.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

Chocolate

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Hong-Kong
  • Major Contribution Award [Mods]
    Helpfulness Awards [Mods]

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:19 AM

The address at which the game crashed isn't an anomaly and shouldn't require a reinstall of Windows. I've documented the crash and it's usually caused by a misbehaving object. You can even force a crash at that address if you want to.

wutanut
  • wutanut

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

The address at which the game crashed isn't an anomaly and shouldn't require a reinstall of Windows. I've documented the crash and it's usually caused by a misbehaving object. You can even force a crash at that address if you want to.

So what can be done about it if a game re-installation doesn't help?  I also made sure to verify that Steam downloaded all the files, no errors there either as far as I can tell.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:54 AM

I have the non-Steam version and I get this issue too, but I cannot even start the game! As soon as I click on the Exe file BOOM, the message pops up.

wutanut
  • wutanut

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:11 AM

I have the non-Steam version and I get this issue too, but I cannot even start the game! As soon as I click on the Exe file BOOM, the message pops up.

Are you sure you're getting the same address error?  From what I've seen, people who can't even get the game started report a different address.

In any event, still no luck on my end.  As of right now, I basically have to hope and pray I get something accomplished fast enough so I can save my progress before the game spits out the error again.  Not my idea of fun.

wutanut
  • wutanut

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:18 AM

An update: running the game via testapp.exe seems to have corrected the problem.  I had actually tried this before, but still got the error then, but I think that was after switching the names of the executable files, which was suggested elsewhere.  I didn't bother tinkering with the files after a game re-installation, except to set the compatibility settings to Windows 98 (which didn't seem to help).

The only other thing I can think of is that in-game I eventually farmed a bit of ammo from the wanted level 4 SWAT teams, saving quite frequently.  I wonder if it's possible that they or their vehicles were the misbehaving objects, and respawning them somehow corrected it...?

Regardless, running the game via testapp.exe seems to be working the past couple of nights, so hopefully that's the end of this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users