Quantcast

» «
Photo

How should we purchase weapons in GTA VI?

54 replies to this topic
Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

Thought this might be an interesting discussion. So far in the series we've had the Ammunation, the GTA IV/EFLC underground gun shops/weapons dealers and the CTW online Ammunation so basically which of these would you like to come back or perhaps something entirely different?

For me I always liked the GTA IV/EFLC underground gun shops because you could physically pick up the weapons before purchase. I don't know, but it just felt bad ass for some reason. I also liked the grungy look and feel to the shops.

The mobile dealers of Little Jacob, Terry and Armando were cool also and saved a lot of time if you didn't want to travel to a shop. I think I would rather see those come back in GTA VI. What about you? :)

• Mister Pink, Official General, anthony and 8 others like this

Bare
  • Bare

mcr is red

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:53 AM

ammunation

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:30 AM Edited by GTA-Biker, 14 January 2017 - 02:04 PM.

I would like something similar to what was done in GTA VC,where we bought firearms and melee weapons different stores.

For examples,melee weapons could be bought in tool stores (hammer, hatchet, crowbar, pipe wrench, knife...) and sports equipment stores (baseball bat, pool cue, golf club...),most firearms (handguns, SMGs, shotguns, assault rifles and sniper rifles) could be bought in Ammunation,but MGs, heavy weapons and explosives could only be bought in underground stores like those in GTA 4.

There could also be some weapons dealer contact (like Jacob in GTA 4 or Terry in GTA TLAD) that we could meet during the story,who could deliver and sell all weapons,to make it more convenient to players who don't want to go from store to store to resuply.

It would be more realistic than Ammunation selling everything,from a broken bottle to RPGs and miniguns.

• Algonquin Assassin, anthony, ClaudeSpeed1911 and 6 others like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:50 AM Edited by Official General, 14 January 2017 - 11:51 AM.

Thought this might be an interesting discussion. So far in the series we've had the Ammunation, the GTA IV/EFLC underground gun shops/weapons dealers and the CTW online Ammunation so basically which of these would you like to come back or perhaps something entirely different?

For me I always liked the GTA IV/EFLC underground gun shops because you could physically pick up the weapons before purchase. I don't know, but it just felt bad ass for some reason. I also liked the grungy look and feel to the shops.

The mobile dealers of Little Jacob, Terry and Armando were cool also and saved a lot of time if you didn't want to travel to a shop. I think I would rather see those come back in GTA VI. What about you? :)

To be fair this is based on the gun laws of the real life American cities these GTA locations are based upon. LC in IV had an underground gun shop because NYC in real life has very strict gun laws, and no legitimate gun stores for the general public consumer within it's city limits. Most criminals in NYC buy their guns on the underground market, and thus are illegally acquired, hence why you have underground gun shops and gun runners in IV&EFLC. In LA, I think they still have gun stores for the public, so that's why Ammu-Nation returned in V to reflect that.

I just wish guns were much more expensive and much harder to obtain and to keep. For instance as criminal if you buy it from Ammu-Nation (if it's in the game), the gun store clerk knows you're a criminal or convicted felon, and he charges you like $2000 for a pistol. And randomly make it so that not all Ammu-Nation store clerks will sell you a gun - some will, some will not. Make good friends with certain characters that sell guns, and they can get you a good discount on guns, like $700 - $900 for a pistol instead once you unlock the feature via various tasks and activities. If you get arrested, you should lose all weapons, and as for pick-ups from dead enemies, you should only be able to pick up ammo - no gun, no pick up. Just make the gun ownership and maintenance feature harder.

• Fuzzknuckles, Algonquin Assassin, universetwisters and 3 others like this

UAL
  • UAL

Playa

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:06 PM

To be fair this is based on the gun laws of the real life American cities these GTA locations are based upon. LC in IV had an underground gun shop because NYC in real life has very strict gun laws, and no legitimate gun stores for the general public consumer within it's city limits. Most criminals in NYC buy their guns on the underground market, and thus are illegally acquired, hence why you have underground gun shops and gun runners in IV&EFLC. In LA, I think they still have gun stores for the public, so that's why Ammu-Nation returned in V to reflect that.

I just wish guns were much more expensive and much harder to obtain and to keep. For instance as criminal if you buy it from Ammu-Nation (if it's in the game), the gun store clerk knows you're a criminal or convicted felon, and he charges you like $2000 for a pistol. And randomly make it so that not all Ammu-Nation store clerks will sell you a gun - some will, some will not. Make good friends with certain characters that sell guns, and they can get you a good discount on guns, like $700 - $900 for a pistol instead once you unlock the feature via various tasks and activities. If you get arrested, you should lose all weapons, and as for pick-ups from dead enemies, you should only be able to pick up ammo - no gun, no pick up. Just make the gun ownership and maintenance feature harder.

I like the sound of this. Would defo add to the gameplay if it was like that.

Personally I loved the feature with Little Jacob, meeting him in an alley or car park to buy weapons. Very GTA.

I think in VI it should be a mixture of being able to go into Ammunation and having to obtain arms illegally. One of the things i thought V nailed though was the customisation aspect, hopefully that makes a return.

Not to go off topic or anything but I also think our safe houses should have a gun safe/room where we can store weapons and have to choose which ones we can take with us. Just wasn't feeling how we could carry every single weapon available. Would make the game a lot more challenging if we have to carefully choose the weapons we can carry.

• Official General, ClaudeSpeed1911 and MythicalCreature like this

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

A mix between IV and 5.

Have Ammo Nation sell legit weapons. Nothing crazy just Pistols, shotguns, hunting rifles. And the black market could sell the more dangerous and illegal weapons like miniguns, flame throwers and the like.

And like GTA Biker said, different stores that sell different melee weapons.

• gunziness, Official General, Meekail and 11 others like this

UAL
  • UAL

Playa

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

A mix between IV and 5.

Have Ammo Nation sell legit weapons. Nothing crazy just Pistols, shotguns, hunting rifles. And the black market could sell the more dangerous and illegal weapons like miniguns, flame throwers and the like.

With Melee weapons I think they should go back to what they done in Vice City, where you could just go into a tool shop and buy make shift weapons. Or perhaps even make your own melee weapons like TLOU.

• ClaudeSpeed1911 and Roger Cheeto like this

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:32 PM Edited by ClaudeSpeed1911, 14 January 2017 - 01:32 PM.

A mix between IV and 5.

With Melee weapons I think they should go back to what they done in Vice City, where you could just go into a tool shop and buy make shift weapons. Or perhaps even make your own melee weapons like TLOU.

The more places the better, One thing i liked about Dead Rising 1 and 2, you have a mall and weapons in places they fit in. I wish they would bring back the mall.

I forgot to mention the weapon van, it should be back aswell. It would enhance the feeling of being a criminal.

LincolnClay
  • LincolnClay

F*ck Take Two Interactive...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:37 PM

All of these ideas. Ammu-Nation and Underground Gun Shops for purchases, while weapons van for a quick load out swap or perhaps to buy a new weapon or upgrade. Just my opinion.

VictorVince1239
  • VictorVince1239

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:48 PM

Ammunation of course but also a website that you can use on your phone or the computer to purchase guns and have them delivered to you. 

Another idea I've thought of is Gun show events. Rockstar could use this idea as a way to introduce new gun DLC packs from time to time mixed in with the usual ones that may not be unlocked for use just yet.

Sounds better than the gun just sitting there on the shelf in Ammunation with a lock sign over it imo. 

• LincolnClay likes this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:53 PM

A mixture of everything. Ammunation, underground gun shops, online, and friends selling it to you.
  • Mister Pink and LincolnClay like this

eCola
  • eCola

Homie

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:04 PM

I want it to be like IV and its episodes. Underground gun stores and purchasing weapons from a friend's gun van.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:22 PM

Ammunation, it's a staple of the series and nice poke at how gun crazy America is. Especially if the game takes place in Vice City for instance, it makes no sense to remove Ammunation, considering Florida in real life is very lenient on gun laws. I understand why it was taken out in IV to mirror how real life NYC doesn't really have gun stores like that, but it still felt like something was lost IMO, they should've at least allowed us to buy Online like in GTA CTW.

They could bring back black market shops for heavier weapons, and tool shops for certain melee weapons like VC. Gives an excuse for more interiors, plus the Ammunations in GTA V and especially GTA Online look silly being cluttered with all those random DLC weapons. And every single store in the state sells the same exact weapons, I liked it better in the 3D era how different stores had different weapons in stock.

Skarekrow
  • Skarekrow

citizen punk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

The underground shops only existed in GTA:IV because the mayor of LC at the time had a "hard on for gun control" according to Dimitri so I guess Ammunation is the best bet for any location outside of LC. But I know what you mean OP, buying guns in the underground shops did feel edgy and did make more sense. Maybe I'm stickling for realism, but what legitimate firearms store is going to sell rocket launchers and grenades lol? R* could introduce a lot if they overhauled their weapon purchasing system (i.e. a black market, having guns shipped, stealing guns from police stations or police vehicles like the one heist set-up in GTA:V where you have to rob the LSPD of those assault rifles that were already in circulation...)
  • Algonquin Assassin and ClaudeSpeed1911 like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:51 AM

Let's mix it up for a change. I wanna be able to buy guns from Walmart or whatever Walmart equivalent there is in the next GTA game.

GettyImages-1305724-1920x1000-c-top.jpg

• Algonquin Assassin, Shaundi., (Ambient) and 5 others like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:17 AM

It should reflect the gun laws of the city it takes place in. If it is in Vice City then we should have ammunation since Florida is a strong pro gun state but there should still be underground dealers with a heavy discount plus military grade weapons you can't buy in a legal store.

• Algonquin Assassin, gunziness, Official General and 4 others like this

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade Corporation
  • European-Union

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:29 AM

It should reflect the gun laws of the city it takes place in. If it is in Vice City then we should have ammunation since Florida is a strong pro gun state but there should still be underground dealers with a heavy discount plus military grade weapons you can't buy in a legal store.

Pretty much this.

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:52 AM Edited by ClaudeSpeed1911, 17 January 2017 - 10:52 AM.

Let's mix it up for a change. I wanna be able to buy guns from Walmart or whatever Walmart equivalent there is in the next GTA game.

Walmart would be perfect for melee aswell. Rather than buying a tool to use as weapon you can find it in the store.

Thinking about it, the underground or even the online stores could also have rare weapons to make them stand out. Say you want to buy a WW1 weapon or a limited weapon, like real life one would buy it online or from the underground if its a banned weapon. 

This is the problem with GTA5, A musket would fit mych more in a collectors store or from a web store. 

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:13 AM

I'm largely in agreement with everything here. 

I like Ammunation and depending on the city it's great, but I prefer the underground blackmarket feel of the shops in IV. I also really liked the vehicle delivery method in IV, more recently seen in Mafia III. I'm not sure about them withholding guns, though it could be kind of cool to have them run an instant check on you, online, in an ammunation. Perhaps there could be some sort of gun control theme that sees you have access to ammunation at first but then the story removes this access, forcing you to use an underground supplier that, conveniently, is also introduced for the story. 

Definitely agreed about ammo pick ups - one thing about V that really didn't make sense was the ability to carry so many guns at one time, and this was much better handled in other games such as Manhunt and RDR, and even The Last of Us, where you can actually see all the weapons you're carrying. Though for general wandering around the street, having a visible side arm, rifle and heavy weapon doesn't make much sense at all. 

• Algonquin Assassin, Official General and ClaudeSpeed1911 like this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:16 PM

I think it would be awesome a mix between VC, IV and V: Ammunation for "normal" weapons (pistols, rifles, etc), underground shops for improvised weapons (molotov, pipe bombs, sawed-off shotgun) and tool shops for melee weapons (hammer, hatchet, flashlights, etc). Things such as the mobile gun stores could feature a bit of everything, but not all.

• gunziness, gtafan26 and Pepe Silvia like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

For improvised weapons, I think it'd make more sense to have a workbench to craft them yourself, but that's completely the influence of TLOU and games like Fallout that make me want that. It'd need to be right for the character, though. I couldn't see a Tommy Vercetti-type in his garage, making molotovs, but I could quite easily see someone like Trevor making his own. 

• Algonquin Assassin and DOUGL4S1 like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

For improvised weapons, I think it'd make more sense to have a workbench to craft them yourself, but that's completely the influence of TLOU and games like Fallout that make me want that. It'd need to be right for the character, though. I couldn't see a Tommy Vercetti-type in his garage, making molotovs, but I could quite easily see someone like Trevor making his own.

Hey that's a really cool idea Fuzz. Can't say I've ever given it much thought.

In CTW Huang could make his own moltovs from a petrol station pump, a bottle and a rag.:)
  • Fuzzknuckles likes this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

That's a pretty cool idea. Could also be cool some sort of mix between both, i.e. you can find a bottle and a rag arould the city and do a Molotov yourself or buy one already done for a much higher price.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

That's a pretty cool idea. Could also be cool some sort of mix between both, i.e. you can find a bottle and a rag arould the city and do a Molotov yourself or buy one already done for a much higher price.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I had in mind. I think this could work really well but I can see a lot of players would find this frustrating. For me it would add an extra layer of stuff to do when not exploring or playing missions, and it could remain optional for those that don't have the time or patience to craft.

If we had a multi-protag game in future, I think it'd be great for them to have their own separate ways of gearing up. A big-time criminal would have all this stuff at his disposal from those within his ranks, whereas a small-time guy might only be able to craft until he makes more money.  Really just thinking out loud at this point.

• DOUGL4S1 likes this

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

leftist terrorist

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

It would've been pretty cool if you had to go to certain places to get certain weapons.

Hunting rifles and low tech equipment at Ammunation, heavy sh*t and military grade in underground stores or black market dealers. Hell, they could go even further and make it so you could only get baseball bats at sports stores or tools at a tool store. Mobile stores could also just feature a little bit of everything, so in the end we get a nice combination.
  • straightupmenace and Neon_Dreaming like this

chainsoar
  • chainsoar

john wayne woz a nazi

• Members
  • England

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:33 PM

Depends on the location they choose for GTA VI. The grungy backstreet basements in IV worked because LC is based on New York, where gun ownership is heavily restricted, prohibiting the sale of firearms from a high street storefront.

So if it's set in San Andreas or Vice City, Ammunation or a similar equivalent would probably feel right. If it's Liberty City again, the seedy back alley stores will be appropriate.

Or, you know, maybe it could be set in Carcer City or somewhere in Mexico.....you listening, Rockstar?

Dark Alessa
  • Dark Alessa

Player Hater

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:42 PM

I like Ammunation, I just do not sympathize with the idea of being able to buy all the weapons there (besides I don't like the idea of being able to carry all weapons, detracts realism), I would like to have also some underground place/shop as in GTA IV, maybe where we could buy the most powerful weapons. I understand that in GTA IV this was possible because this has to do with what laws are in some US cities (LIberty City, New York). However it would be good to find some middle term.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:48 PM

It would've been pretty cool if you had to go to certain places to get certain weapons.

Hunting rifles and low tech equipment at Ammunation, heavy sh*t and military grade in underground stores or black market dealers. Hell, they could go even further and make it so you could only get baseball bats at sports stores or tools at a tool store. Mobile stores could also just feature a little bit of everything, so in the end we get a nice combination.

In a way, you do have to go to certain places - like the baseball bat at the baseball field in the park in LS, and the molotovs at the docks (I think, it's been months since I played V). 

Having specific stores for specific items would be great, but if you're gearing up for a bit of everything it might take a while to visit all of the stores, which could be a bit boring. But still, I like the idea of visiting the hardware store for things like hammers and such - this would introduce new and interesting interiors, as well. 

• slimeball supreme likes this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:25 PM

I'm largely in agreement with everything here. 

I like Ammunation and depending on the city it's great, but I prefer the underground blackmarket feel of the shops in IV. I also really liked the vehicle delivery method in IV, more recently seen in Mafia III. I'm not sure about them withholding guns, though it could be kind of cool to have them run an instant check on you, online, in an ammunation. Perhaps there could be some sort of gun control theme that sees you have access to ammunation at first but then the story removes this access, forcing you to use an underground supplier that, conveniently, is also introduced for the story. 

Definitely agreed about ammo pick ups - one thing about V that really didn't make sense was the ability to carry so many guns at one time, and this was much better handled in other games such as Manhunt and RDR, and even The Last of Us, where you can actually see all the weapons you're carrying. Though for general wandering around the street, having a visible side arm, rifle and heavy weapon doesn't make much sense at all. 

@ Fuzz

I suggested Ammu-Nation gun store clerks randomly refusing sell the player weapons in addition very expensive costing weapons, simply because the frustration is causes would act as another deterrent from buying guns from there for the player. I would even suggest a random chance of having the clerk call police and the player gain wanted stars. My suggested ideas are aimed at re-creating the real life feeling criminals in America finding it hard to legally acquire guns in a variety of ways. This would encourage the player to seek alternative means of buying guns that are less of a hassle and less costly, like striking up friendships with certain characters that will sell guns on the underground market, or unlock underground gun stores via certain missions.

So once you get guns, you must do your best to keep them, making it all the more challenging.

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

leftist terrorist

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:29 PM

but if you're gearing up for a bit of everything it might take a while to visit all of the stores, which could be a bit boring.

Hence why the mobile gun vans would have a random assortment of everything, makes it a little easier.

• straightupmenace and Dream-_-Traveler like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users