Quantcast

» «
Photo

A Female protagonist?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
382 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your favourite citrus fruit? (86 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favourite citrus fruit?

1. Lemon Posted Image (32 votes [37.21%])

Percentage of vote: 37.21%

2. Lime [Like a lemon but less red] (13 votes [15.12%])

Percentage of vote: 15.12%

3. Buddha's Fingers Posted Image (4 votes [4.65%])

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

4. Other Posted Image (37 votes [43.02%])

Percentage of vote: 43.02%

Vote
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

Instead of fighting The Lost, we can fight an all-female motorcycle gang.

The O'Neill Brothers would be the O'Neill Sisters.

These two things sound cool. I can imagine an outlaw motorcycle club called "Femme Fatales MC" or something like that. The O'Neil Sister would work too.

And what are your thoughts about a female crime boss sending groups of women with machine guns after you?

It wouldn't be too far out there.

And even then how are we supposed to feel about it? An enemy is an enemy. Don't try to say it isn't going to be realistic when this is a video game where we can absorb bullets.

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

🔺

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:05 PM

And even then how are we supposed to feel about it? An enemy is an enemy. Don't try to say it isn't going to be realistic when this is a video game where we can absorb bullets.

i mean im cool with a girl protagonist but saying that there's no need to be realistic if you can take bullets is kinda dumb tbh :^)
  • Roger Cheeto and Pink Pineapple like this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

COUNSELOR!! COME OUT WHEREVER YOU ARE!!

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:08 PM Edited by The Deadite, 15 January 2017 - 08:44 PM.

lol this PinkPinneapple guy taking it to the extreme, some are just asking what should amount to one character in a world and he's comparing it to completely changing the gender of criminal organizations.

• universetwisters, Niobium, Cameron Star and 2 others like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:38 PM

i mean im cool with a girl protagonist but saying that there's no need to be realistic if you can take bullets is kinda dumb tbh :^)

But that's exactly their argument, FEMALES CANT BE PROTAGONISTS IN A GAME LIKE GRAND THEFT AUTO WHERE YOU COMMIT GRAND THEFT AUTO when it's a game as unrealistic as Grand Theft Auto. Sure, you can yank a fat guy out of a car with ease and be able to walk away from a crash that should break your bones and they can overlook that, but god forbid a woman is USING a gun or robbing a store.

• (Ambient), Niobium, Cameron Star and 1 other like this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:33 PM Edited by Zello, 15 January 2017 - 09:37 PM.

I would have been pretty happy if V had Franklin swapped out for someone like Letty (Michelle Rodriguez's character from Fast and the Furious 1) don't have to be a guy to be tough.  

I could see him being replaced by a character like Snoop from the wire.

Sure she would be kinda hard to understand but it would have been hilarious seeing her interact with Trevor.
  • TheHumanIsland likes this

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade Corporation
  • European-Union

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:47 PM

How a about a female protagonist who is into illegal street racing, stealing cars and the likes? This idea doesn't require RPG-7's and other heavy weapons (so people who think that women can't use rocket launchers or miniguns won't take the idea "too unbelievable"), it's still related to crime and isn't sexist (I mean, it doesn't force a protagonist to do some whore's jobs).

inb4 "women can't drive a car" or "women only drive small-ass compacts"
  • universetwisters, ClaudeSpeed1911 and Cameron Star like this

SilverDragon619
  • SilverDragon619

Crackhead

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:51 PM

I actually think it's cool to play as a female in video games. I'm a guy myself and what attracts me to play as a female is mainly the customization side, but depends on what you want. Do you only want a virtual girlfriend to play dress-up with or are you actually interested in the story? I don't know many games with both. Saints Row is on top of my mind as an example. 

But for a story DLC (main or one of the main characters) I'd like to see Taliana Martinez. The girl you randomly find laying wounded next to her crashed car after a getaway. She doesn't have "the looks," but there's a large chance that a character like her would keep the evil Sarkeesian's and neon-haired boulders away.  

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • Macau
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:57 PM

How a about a female protagonist who is into illegal street racing, stealing cars and the likes? This idea doesn't require RPG-7's and other heavy weapons (so people who think that women can't use rocket launchers or miniguns won't take the idea "too unbelievable"), it's still related to crime and isn't sexist (I mean, it doesn't force a protagonist to do some whore's jobs).

yeah women using rocket launchers is the least believable part of GTA

• The Deadite and Yinepi like this

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade Corporation
  • European-Union

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:01 PM

yeah women using rocket launchers is the least believable part of GTA

Personally, I don't think like that. I just said that, because there are some misogynists I'm not gonna mention by their nicks.

mr quick
  • mr quick

VŚr tid er forbi - Europa brenner!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:14 PM

man just go ahead and mention them then we'll go beat 'em up lol :cool: :cool: 

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Spam Commando 2017
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:19 PM Edited by Tomasak, 15 January 2017 - 10:20 PM.

guys in gta can carry around minigun and rpg in their pockets, but women can't, cuz they aint strong enough.

did i get it right?

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade Corporation
  • European-Union

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:22 PM

guys in gta can carry around minigun and rpg in their pockets, but women can't, cuz they aint strong enough.
did i get it right?

yes, and woman can't do anything that isn't related to love and sex
  • Tomasak, ClaudeSpeed1911, Cameron Star and 1 other like this

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:29 PM

did i get it right?

yes, and woman can't do anything that isn't related to love and sex

They also can't be anything other than a model and they have nails instead of healthbars to represent nails breaking.

Seriously why can't we just try having a female protagonist? I remember people hating the fact that we play as an old man when michael was shown. Now that the game is out no one is complaining. 

• (Ambient) likes this

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:43 PM Edited by Pink Pineapple, 15 January 2017 - 11:44 PM.

lol this PinkPinneapple guy taking it to the extreme, some are just asking what should amount to one character in a world and he's comparing it to completely changing the gender of criminal organizations.

What are your thoughts about changing the gender of criminal organizations and having the vast majority of characters you fight against female? 

Tell us if that would be a good idea or a bad idea for a GTA game and explain why.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:52 PM Edited by universetwisters, 15 January 2017 - 11:53 PM.

What are your thoughts about changing the gender of criminal organizations and having the vast majority of characters you fight against female? 

Tell us if that would be a good idea or a bad idea for a GTA game and explain why.

Changing the entire gender of a criminal organization has literally nothing to do with one criminal who happens to be a female.

How about we all stop feeding this troll and continue with the conversation.

• (Ambient), Cameron Star and The Deadite like this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

COUNSELOR!! COME OUT WHEREVER YOU ARE!!

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:54 PM

Whole criminal landscape ≠ One single character in what's supposed to be a broader world

Like i don't get what's your point?
What are you even trying to prove with this post? This isn't the point of the thread, not even close.

Stop posting in this kind of topics, your posts about this subject are embarrassing and you always end up making an ass of yourself.

• Tomasak, universetwisters, (Ambient) and 2 others like this

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:55 PM

Changing the entire gender of a criminal organization has literally nothing to do with one criminal who happens to be a female.

If you're going to avoid answering the question, don't reply at all.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:00 AM Edited by universetwisters, 16 January 2017 - 12:01 AM.

If you're going to avoid answering the question, don't reply at all.

I'd answer the question if you actually understood the question and stop trying to go WELL WOULD YOU PLAY THE GAME IF EVERYONE WAS A FEMALE BECAUSE YOU WANT ONE FEMALE PROTAGONIST

We get it, you hate women for some reason. No need to brag about it to people on the internet.

• (Ambient) and Cameron Star like this

Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:24 AM

Just don't make it a feminist or a "Girls can do things better than guys" type of female and I'd accept a female Protagonist. I HATE those kinds of people..... can't stand them.

I would like a Bonnie/Clyde dynamic in a game, where a male AND female are playable. Both getting equal amount of time and development and unlike V actually have character switch be available in more than like...... ten missions

• (Ambient), Journey_95, Light Syde Riandy and 2 others like this

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Been saving it for a rainy day...

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:56 AM

What about Elizabeta Torres-type of female character as protagonist? I always thought of Elizabeta to be a resemblance of some male protagonists in GTA series, brought to a rough upbringing and experienced some extreme challenges before they climbed to the top of the criminal underworld. Sounds about just right.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Pink.Inc

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:28 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 16 January 2017 - 11:32 AM.

But that's exactly their argument, FEMALES CANT BE PROTAGONISTS IN A GAME LIKE GRAND THEFT AUTO WHERE YOU COMMIT GRAND THEFT AUTO when it's a game as unrealistic as Grand Theft Auto. Sure, you can yank a fat guy out of a car with ease and be able to walk away from a crash that should break your bones and they can overlook that, but god forbid a woman is USING a gun or robbing a store.

You're kind of touching on a point I brought up earlier and you used "their argument" so maybe that includes me. 

I'll speak from my perspective and speak only for myself and I'll address your message. While I acknowledge GTA is a game, we're all ready making concessions about reality or as it's called among writers and filmmakers the suspension of disbelief. I acknowledge you can yank a fat guy out of a car with ease or walk away from a crash. That doesn't mean I want play wearing a pink afro either or with clown make-up.

Think of GTA in terms of odds. If I'm seeing a mass shootout with police in streets, the odds of it being a male are much greater than if female. That is a fact. This isn't an argument against whether females can or can not do anything. Please don't conflate the two. This is an argument for the odds that a male would be the centre of a high-speed chase by cops or a bank heist or being a part of an organized criminal gang are far greater. So while it may be unrealistic to walk away from the crash, this all a concession we've made an ignored

According to the Federal Bureau of Prisons The percentage of men incarnated is 93% male. 

https://www.bop.gov/...mate_gender.jsp

Having a female protag in a GTA is another thing I don't have to suspend my disbelief for. 

And now I'll stop speaking only for me.. 

While I don't want to meddle with your beef with PinkPineapple, don't you think accusing Pink Pineapple of hating women because he doesn't want to play as one in a game series that's traditionally only had male protags a bit unfair?

I mean, lets address his question. A whole female criminal organization would probably bit a tad too unbelievable, right? Well, can't people accept that for people like me (and possibly PP), 1 female protag would be going too far (in a GTA game at least). So, if we don't have all-female gangs, the female protag would be exceptional, right? She would be an exceptional protagonist. And that exception is just too much for me. And although we know women can be criminals (you mention The Godmother Griselda Blanco, aided hugely by her husbands) women don't fraternize like men do to create criminal organizations like me do. 

But then again, I'm not one that paints my guns pink because I think it looks unrealistic. I don't wear silly clothes or clown makeup in GTA Online. Does that mean I hate clowns or kooky clothes? No. 

Like I said before I'd play as a female but only as a EFLC style expansion. The gameplay would need some tweaking to facilitate that change because what would the point be of playing as a woman if the gameplay is going to be the same as playing as a man. 

And that leads me to a question. 

Why do you people want to play as a woman? Will the gameplay be different as you imagine it? If the gameplay is the same, why play as woman, if you can play as a man (which is arguable more plausible in the believability scale?).What are the main reasons you want to play as a female?

Then there's the element of it being a more male-centric game. It's written by lads for lads, broadly speaking. Well, I can't say that for sure because I don't know Housers intentions when creating GTA but it usually taps in to male fantasy actions. But we can kind of deduce that. Men over time have traditionally been more geeky about music, videogames and movies. Kind of what the GTA series was born out of but I'll concede that's a stretch of an argument. 

Then there's me being a man, I identify with people of my own sex, even if I may disagree with them or their actions. If I play as a female trying to make it in male dominated criminal underworld, yeah I might identify or enjoy that story but not as a player. 

Women can't have nice beards. 

Most of my anti-heros are male. Some times I like to dress my GTA character up as movie or TV guys. For example, I made Michael look like Max Payne. I don't have a list of females I would want to dress up as. Maybe Snoop from The Wire. But why play as Snoop when I can play as Omar!? :p

We get it, you hate women for some reason. No need to brag about it to people on the internet.

While this wasn't directed at me, given my answers, I wouldn't be too far off, if that's what you think of me. Think of it like this. I like pink and I like BMW's but I don't like pink BMWs. That doesn't mean I hate pink or hate BMW's. 

According to the Federal Bureau of Prisons The percentage of men incarnated is 93% male. 

https://www.bop.gov/...mate_gender.jsp

• Carbonox, slimeball supreme, Gay Tony and 1 other like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:02 PM

I mean yeah, a whole female crime organization is way out there, but using it as an excuse as to state how unrealistic one female protagonist is just asinine. It's like telling somebody you like bananas and them angrily saying OH YEAH WELL WHAT IF EVERY EDIBLE THING WAS A BANANA WOULD YOU STILL LIKE BANANAS!? It's a cheap strawman excuse and nothing more.

Like you mentioned before, I have no problem playing a female protagonist if Rockstar decides to do the multiple protagonist thing again. Maybe like what Phnx mentioned above and have her storyline focus on driving and street racing (like Franklin in V other than the gangbanging. Franklin could've been a chick in V and almost nothing major would change considering his role). I know those are good, valid statistics you bring up about the prison population, but like I keep saying, this is a video game and sadly (?), Rockstar is leaning away as far from reality as possible with V. People are willing to overlook a frantic helicopter chase around the IAA Building with explosions, a bank robbery with bomb disposal suits and a minigun, and a chase on the freeway with a car that has guns popping out of the hood (just to name a few of the many outlandish things that came out of V), but heaven forbid someone even mentions having a female protagonist in GTA in any capacity, except for online, for some weird reason. Apparently some folks who complain the most about hypothetical female protagonists have female characters in GTA Online  :sigh:

But yeah, I just think it's a silly argument to say that a guy soaking up bullets like Michael Lee Platt on steroids in a shootout is believable, yet if a woman is doing it, it's as far from reality as you can be. Nothing personal against you or anything, just that I've seen that argument a dozen times before regarding the topic of female protagonists.

• Mister Pink, (Ambient) and Cameron Star like this

VictorVince1239
  • VictorVince1239

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

A group of bank robbing women like in the 2004 Taxi movie.

2ekjd5t.jpg

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:14 PM

I think it's long overdue. There's very little reason other than sucking up to a predominantly male audience that are uncomfortable with anything other than their own sexuality/gender preferences for there to not be a female protagonist in GTA, considering the franchise has been going for 20 years. 

By the way, GTA 1 called, the four female playable characters in it said hi. 

• universetwisters, GTKING1st and Cameron Star like this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:24 PM

I don't find any reason for having a female protagonist at this point in the series'.
Like I said earlier, Houser's don't particularly have a reputation for writing strong female roles for us to judge them. Not even side ( female ) characters in their games give the impression that they have what it takes for writing a strong female protagonists. They have not even shown any interest in their interview's either. The response from them on the lack of female protagonists in GTA itself became controversial among certain critics, so I don't find any reason to even expect for something like this.

I don't find that much praise for writing nor the lead protags in their latest offering GTA V as much as IV gets, at least, in this forum, and thus to imagine Houser's writing a story with a female lead in the game itself sounds like overly-ambitious or unrealistic to me, since I can't even tell confidently ( after GTA V experience ) that they will be able to pull off in terms of story and characters what they've pulled off successfully in their past games, if not better in their next GTA game.

Just for the sake of having a female protagonists in the game because its long overdue isn't enough of a reason to have one in my opinion. There needs to be some precedent set early on that we can use to understand whether Houser's are really capable to make great and strong female characters, or not.
The best way to make women play more prominent roles in GTA is to start appearing as strong supporting characters, which has been lacking for many years now.
In GTA IV, the player can only hang out with male characters while the females characters were limited to dating, which isn't really interesting nor strong enough to begin with.

Unlike in case of Catalina who appeared in III, and later in SA, and received some noticeable attention from the fans. She's the only female character that I liked in the series so far.

Secondly, and the biggest problem comes from gameplay standpoint. No matter what people think but I certainly find it difficult to play as a female one longer than I normally stay interested in playing as CJ or Tommy outside the story. Not because I'm particularly against playing a female role, but its just that I don't find GTA to be the "right" game for being locked in a "female" character for entirety both during story and normal gameplay, since the kind of imagination that GTA has caused right from the days of my childhood grows even more for playing better male protagonists with interesting crime related stories, and sandbox enjoyment. Including the expectations in terms of side activities and other sandbox fun elements.
I'm a huge a fan of Cate Archer from the game No One Lives Forever because the writers were able to capture so much of my interest for the kind of game they were going for. Its not an open world game but aim for a particular genre with setting, story and dialogue all put together so amazingly well for a female protagonist, and not taking the easy route of playing a male agent in the game.
In an open world game like GTA, I'll always find a male character perfect for playing more than a female one.
There's so much scope and potential for having brilliant female characters in GTA games through supporting roles ( and Online ) that I don't find it necessary to have one in the lead role. This solves the issue without significantly changing the role for me to play during the entire game which involves a lot of replayability.
  • Mister Pink and Yinepi like this

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

🔺

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:11 PM Edited by Mr. Fartenhate, 16 January 2017 - 05:12 PM.

(like Franklin in V other than the gangbanging. Franklin could've been a chick in V and almost nothing major would change considering his role)

Wrong. One of Franklin's important character traits was his relationship with his ex-girlfriend Tanisha, who he still loves even after the break up. I find that character trait difficult to replicate with roles reversed, but that's just me. Also, street gangs are also pretty sexist and gangs like the Crips (i.e. the inspiration for the Families) haven't exactly had them in the best positions in the gang.

VictorVince1239
  • VictorVince1239

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:31 PM

(like Franklin in V other than the gangbanging. Franklin could've been a chick in V and almost nothing major would change considering his role)

Wrong. One of Franklin's important character traits was his relationship with his ex-girlfriend Tanisha, who he still loves even after the break up. I find that character trait difficult to replicate with roles reversed, but that's just me. Also, street gangs are also pretty sexist and gangs like the Crips (i.e. the inspiration for the Families) haven't exactly had them in the best positions in the gang.

Yeah plus it be yet another woman that Amanda accuses Michael of cheating on her with..and Jimmy probably hits on you. Nah.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:32 PM

Secondly, and the biggest problem comes from gameplay standpoint. No matter what people think but I certainly find it difficult to play as a female one longer than I normally stay interested in playing as CJ or Tommy outside the story. 

Well, counter to that... I am far more interested in playing female characters than male characters, generally, these days, because male characters are tedious, bone-headed macho stereotypes and, after nearly forty years of gaming, I'm utterly f*cking bored of playing meat-head after meat-head, simply because that's what "people want" (people, in this case, generally meaning teenage boys who only regard women as floating tit dispensers).

There are plenty of exciting and interesting female criminals and non-criminals to draw inspiration from. Frankly, if GTA doesn't start shaping up and addressing the idiot-man-child wank fantasy depiction of women within its world, I may well lose interest soon. I doubt I'm the only person that feels this way. GTA has for a very long time been my favourite gaming franchise but there are many niggling factors like its tendency to repeat itself while pretending to innovate, particularly from a story point of view, and the characters within the world, that are really chipping away at my tolerance for it. 

• GTKING1st and ClaudeSpeed1911 like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

I think you missed the part where I said "other than gangbanging", whether or not it was deliberate, the jury is still out for that one.

>females have never ever associated with any street gang

If you think that then okay.

And was his relationship with Tanisha really that important to where it was a whole character trait? It was only mentioned a few times, it wasn't like his entire story was getting back together with her. It's like you're grasping for straws just for an argument.

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:21 AM

I mean yeah, a whole female crime organization is way out there

So what? What would be the arguments against having the majority of enemies females?

You can't say it's because of realism. It's more realistic than being shot in the face 10 times and surviving or being able to carry a rocket launcher in your pocket.

Are you saying women can't group together and form criminal organizations? That would be sexist.

Why do you want to only kill males? You must be a misandrist.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users