Quantcast

» «
Photo

A Female protagonist?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
382 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your favourite citrus fruit? (86 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favourite citrus fruit?

1. Lemon Posted Image (32 votes [37.21%])

Percentage of vote: 37.21%

2. Lime [Like a lemon but less red] (13 votes [15.12%])

Percentage of vote: 15.12%

3. Buddha's Fingers Posted Image (4 votes [4.65%])

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

4. Other Posted Image (37 votes [43.02%])

Percentage of vote: 43.02%

Vote
(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade Corporation
  • European-Union

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:22 PM

the protag is almost like an alter ego, so the character being female would kill the immersion for me personally.

So, women don't play GTA, huh?

interesting take on what i said. 

Kind of.

• mr quick likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

XMD5A

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:51 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 13 January 2017 - 10:54 AM.

Well it's not like we haven't had women character right there in the Grand Theft Auto series who did these "grand theft auto things" as you put. 

Catalina being the main one who was just as crazy and gun blazing as any of the males we played as if not more. Elizabeta Torres from GTA IV is another good example and so is Michelle who's also from IV. 

These are strong female characters that Rockstar could borrow from if they must whenever a female lead is ever to happen.

Getting back to gameplay though I don't see what point you're trying to make considering the gameplay looks just fine when using the current system when playing as a female character in Grand Theft Auto Online so they wouldn't change a thing just because the woman happens to be a major part of the Main Story. 

I understand everybody has their preferences which is why I said if a female Lead was to ever happen the best way to do it would be to make her one of 3 characters so that people who don't take a liking to the idea of her or just don't the character can switch over to one of the guys and still enjoy the game. 

Yeah but we don't see Elizabeta indiscriminately punching people in the street or pulling men out of cars, punching them in face or having gun battles and car chases. She's only depicted in cut-scenes. That's very different than controlling her in an environment that mostly appeals to men ie videogame/cars/driving/shooting/violence.

Yeah Elizabeta would be interesting to explore as a protgag as she's seemingly running her own crew but most gangs run on violence and fear to keep the others in check. So it interesting how a female could do that without the aid of a man who would normally assert dominance over another group of males. Even 'The Godmother' Griselda Blanco would have used her husbands who were often her business partners to assert control and dominance. 

Yeah you see I don't think the gameplay looks fine. When I see a bunch of women in skirts running around with pink machine guns Online, I think it looks a bit silly to be honest. I mean where would ever really see that? Maybe... The Wire where Omar had his stick-up crew and they were robbing stash-houses of drug dealers (video below) Even at that, the women are using a tactic to trick the men guarding the stash house because it's probably better than trying to physically overpower them or at least it's a more cunning avenue they can take (advantages of a being a woman) to exploit the men in to believing there's a real concern. But The Wire seems more plausible and realistic than say Sally Skirt with her pink Machine gun on GTAO. Trying to see this women doing essentially male-centric anti-social behaviour (GTA in it's current form) looks very unrealistic to me. 

I said I would be open to a female but only as an expansion. The game play will have to be modified a bit for me to full swallow this. Real stealth, climbing abilities and using her sex appeal or 'white knights' to gain access and/or information on places and people. Even as Elizabeta I couldn't picture her meeting 3 guys down an alley and her beating the sh*t out of the 3 of them, really. Not so much as a I could with a guy, anyway. And that last sentence is whole crux of my argument against a female GTA protag with it's current gameplay. It goes back to believability. Simply put, the situations that GTA stories put me in, is more believable with man at the centre than a woman. If Rockstar can make a story to the contrary then I'm all game. 

To add...(and it's mostly for sh*ts and giggles.) 

I YouTubed 'GTA Online Female Character' and the first video that popped up.:"10 Reasons Why I Play as a Female Character."

It's cringey af. I wont repost why he plays as a female. I'll let you see the video. I will post some comments underneath. It's one video but hey.. it's got 53 thousand likes. 53 thousand people agree with that creep. 

I play as a female cuz who the f*ck wants to look at a dudes ass the whole time? lmao

Its ok if your really a dude playing as a female. I do the same thing. Id rather be staring at a womans ass instead of a guys ass any day.

Shocked Patrick here! lol I'd rather be looking at a female than a hairy ass man

i choose to play as a woman because i like seeing a sexy bad ass woman takin down her enemies....you don't normally ever see that anywere in real life

No, you don't. Exactly. 

I created female character not cause I want be a girl or gay I rather look at a female back ensted. looking at a male. so all you guys out there who play as a female don't feel bad for your self it's your option and if someone tells you your gay just tell them shut up at list I look at a woman the just a guy

OK, I cherry-picked these but it took me 2 mins. It gives a little insight in the the male gamer obsessing with a playing as a female. And lets face it. The percentage of women playing GTA is very small. Playing as a female protag argument is not for girl gamers out there to play as a female, its about men wanting to play as women. 

That video is linked below

https://www.youtube....h?v=-A1X2HDupVo

• Majestic81 and Roger Cheeto like this

SonicTheSexhog
  • SonicTheSexhog

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:40 PM Edited by SonicTheSexhog, 13 January 2017 - 01:55 PM.

Many women are interested in GTA so it would be cool if they do. I feel like Rockstar can pull this off, they have managed to make a somewhat interesting character for each GTA so far. I never thought any GTA has had a boring protagonist so far.

If they do though, I personally really hope they don't make her a lesbian or bisexual simply because it feels like a forced cliché nowadays, with Ellie from Last Of Us (confirmed by those who made the game), the girls from Life Is Strange, etc.

If they do make her a lesbian I hope they don't make her a lipstick lesbian. That's a cheap way to attract the average male audience and it's not progressive when there's a ton of lesbian/bisexual woman characters but no gay men because the average male still thinks gay men are unconfortable but lesbians are "exotic/hot".

Also in order to be a good female character it probably has to be a character that would not work out if it were a man. Otherwise you could argue that it's just a token character.

VictorVince1239
  • VictorVince1239

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:48 PM

Not to mention strong female characters in the Uncharted games like Nadine Ross, Chloe Frazer and Elena Fisher..or Drake i should say. 

It's only a matter of time before Grand Theft Auto jumps on board. 

• DarkSavageDeathlyCloud and LincolnClay like this

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

That is a great point that Liz from iv is in cutscenes and sends men to do the work for her. That says a lot about why niko was the protag and not her I think.

But snoop from the wire is brought up every time this is discussed. She's culturally relevant enough as such that she could be used in gta. Lol.

Look at kill bill. To me that's like saints row the movie.

Just some points to bring the topic further.
  • Mister Pink likes this

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:56 PM

How about playing as a hooker who gets into trouble after a being bought by the mafia for a few hours? Say she finds something important or decides to rob them or something and we spend the game trying to survive and take down the mob.

Off course what I posted isn't perfect but what I am trying to say is that playing from the point of view of a hooker would be cool and would flesh them out. It could also be something new in gaming.

Some other types I would love to play as is a female cop (or any sex in general) or a cartel leader like the ones who were exposed a while ago.

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:08 PM Edited by TheHumanIsland, 13 January 2017 - 08:12 PM.

With multiple protagonists - like 2 guys and 1 girl, hell yeah, ClaudeSpeed1911, could be really good, even with a less dire plot. Maybe the muscle and "classic gta" stuff is carried out by the boys, and the lookout, planning, espionage/manipulating big crime guys to set them up etc is done by the girl on the team.

That is how it would work without any issue to anyone imo. It would be, instead of "3 characters basically same old with different stories" it would be "classic gameplay + an all new perspective on the crime world, from the complete other side of it".

Because just as there are things about GTA past releases that would have made the game stupid and feel even less authentic if you were a girl character doing them, there are a lot of things the series could never do yet because they didn't have a female. 

Just as in the real world men have roles in criminal activities, girls do too, especially now the game handles planning heists and families and friends mean more to the series.

• Mister Pink and ClaudeSpeed1911 like this

Brian Grey
  • Brian Grey

Darksider

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

why not rockstar do what they did with heists and give you options in social manipulation, she doesn't have to be psychically stronger than males, she could make up for it through manipulating and getting others to do stuff for her. 

I'v always felt that women were better manipulators due to the stuff they can do that get men labelled as pathetic such as crying to get her target to feel bad and feel the need to do something, or she could be an assassin and seduce her targets with flirting and her sex appeal  ( I know it may go under fire for being sexist, but sex appeal can put people under his/her spell).

I don't think a female would ultimately take away from the game, it would offer a lot more and also find ways of making up for disadvantages.

ever heard of Catalina, GTA 3 antagonist and a minor character in San Andreas, she's crazy, unpredictable ,very,manipulative, she bossed around 2 protagonists for a time. I think someone like her would be able to cope with the demands of a male protag and possibly do even better.

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:11 AM Edited by TheHumanIsland, 14 January 2017 - 01:18 AM.

Perfect example: the random event in v near Lester's house where the girl lures you psychologically in to two guys who are doing the dirty/muscle work. Now, those were just hoods, junkies or whatever, but you could get three (a girl and two guys) on a higher level, by starting low just like that - like for example:

Next game you start as basically those three. You drew in a Martin Madrazzo type of guy! He won and decides to make you do a favor for him. Now you watch the character go from junk to funk in a new type of GTA classic rags to riches storyline.

I think of Gridlock'd starring 2pac, Tim Roth, and Thandie Newton as a cool group of three that could give an idea of how a 2 guys 1 girl friends could work out. They are dope heads in the movie, and she is basically dying the whole flick, but earlier on you can see how they get along and maybe our group are junkies too, and are forced to get clean to even survive - go from scummy druggies to clean criminals.

• Mister Pink likes this

piko
  • piko

100% or nothing

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:41 AM

No. GTA has since the beginning been the place for guys to do 'macho' stuff and I just find it impossible to get the same feeling playing as a chick. Plus, doing hookers and going to strip clubs would be a bit weird. And if she would be able to use all types of guns and vehicles it would just feel as stupid and unrealistic as a Saints Row-game. 

• Roger Cheeto likes this

Lethal-lock
  • Lethal-lock

Playa

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:59 AM

I would have been pretty happy if V had Franklin swapped out for someone like Letty (Michelle Rodriguez's character from Fast and the Furious 1) don't have to be a guy to be tough.  

Would have matched up well with her jacking cars for the repo/credit scam, that's just me though because im a little tired of all the gangbanging crap.  

• SonicTheSexhog likes this

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade Corporation
  • European-Union

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:54 AM

No. GTA has since the beginning been the place for guys to do 'macho' stuff and I just find it impossible to get the same feeling playing as a chick.

>implying GTA has since the beginning been the place for guys

http://www.grandthef...onists_in_GTA_1

And if she would be able to use all types of guns and vehicles it would just feel as stupid and unrealistic as a Saints Row-game.

Why this would be unrealistic? It's not like that some kinds of vehicles and weapons has been created only for men.
  • ClaudeSpeed1911, Cameron Star, DarkSavageDeathlyCloud and 2 others like this

Roger Cheeto
  • Roger Cheeto

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:22 AM

No. GTA has since the beginning been the place for guys to do 'macho' stuff and I just find it impossible to get the same feeling playing as a chick.

>implying GTA has since the beginning been the place for guys

http://www.grandthef...onists_in_GTA_1

And if she would be able to use all types of guns and vehicles it would just feel as stupid and unrealistic as a Saints Row-game.

Why this would be unrealistic? It's not like that some kinds of vehicles and weapons has been created only for men.

There were no difference between the protags in GTA1, I don't know why they bothered with a selection.

I think he's just getting at that it's unbelievable and corny, I don't see a woman pulling some 300 pound dude out of a car no problem, that doesn't happen.

meson1
  • meson1

Soldier

• Members
  • England

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:24 AM Edited by meson1, 14 January 2017 - 07:25 AM.

I think he's just getting at that it's unbelievable and corny, I don't see a woman pulling some 300 pound dude out of a car no problem, that doesn't happen.

There are solutions to that particular problem.

1. Using a firearm to force the 300 pound dude to abandon his car at gun point.  This animation already exists within the game.

2. Reaching in and applying an arm lock.  If you're in an arm lock the 300 pound dude is going where he's told.

Two completely believable ways to jack a car.

• GTKING1st, (Ambient), ClaudeSpeed1911 and 4 others like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:33 AM

We already had a female protagonist. Her name was Carley Johnson..

Jokes aside whilst I've never been against the idea of a female protagonist it's something I feel R* should do in a smaller scale (like DLC) or something to get players used to. Though my trust level in R* has dwindled to write compelling male protagonists since GTA V so a female would be a risk for the time being.

• ClaudeSpeed1911, LincolnClay and TheHumanIsland like this

VictorVince1239
  • VictorVince1239

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:17 PM Edited by VictorVince1239, 14 January 2017 - 02:21 PM.

I would have been pretty happy if V had Franklin swapped out for someone like Letty (Michelle Rodriguez's character from Fast and the Furious 1) don't have to be a guy to be tough.  

Would have matched up well with her jacking cars for the repo/credit scam, that's just me though because im a little tired of all the gangbanging crap.  

I'd rather she replace Trevor and work more so alongside Franklin since they'd be closer to the same age and more believable than Rockstar trying to have her click with 2 old guys. Maybe some missions involving Tracy too. 

Other then that I don't see Amanda exactly liking the thought of Michael out there working with a younger girl and Trevor would just be weird around her.

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:19 PM Edited by Niobium, 15 January 2017 - 04:19 PM.

i'm all for more diversity in game characters. (especially if it makes some reactionaries on this forum salty)

• mr quick, Femme Fatale, Cameron Star and 4 others like this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:28 PM

i'm all for more diversity in game characters. (especially if it makes some reactionaries on this forum salty)

Yeah, it's like mtd said about pissing off homophobes, it's cool to piss off misogynistic idiots too.
  • mr quick, (Ambient), Niobium and 2 others like this

SLUMPUSSY
  • SLUMPUSSY

Boss

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:40 PM

threads like these always bring out the BBBBUT I WANT TO DO MUH MANLY STUFF AND WOMEN CANT DO THE MANLY MANLY MAN THINGS LIKE you know shoot GUNS and STEAL cars

• mr quick, Tomasak, (Ambient) and 5 others like this

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade Corporation
  • European-Union

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:28 PM

threads like these always bring out the BBBBUT I WANT TO DO MUH MANLY STUFF AND WOMEN CANT DO THE MANLY MANLY MAN THINGS LIKE you know shoot GUNS and STEAL cars

Pink Pinneapple in a nutshell (minus I NEED TO PROTECT MAH MASCULINITY GTA IS A MASCULINE CELEBRATION)

• mr quick, universetwisters and VictorVince1239 like this

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Spam Commando 2017
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

threads like these will bring sh*tstorm after release. Ya know some people will defend badly written char/story only based on race/gender of protagonist.

• Payne Killer likes this

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud
  • DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

here is wondering how long a member title actually could be

• BUSTED!
  • Belgium

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:51 PM

I'm not trying to be sexiest nor request anything, but I know some parts of the community, 1st day on PC and we'll have a naked protag. mod, so I don't really think that's a good idea.

So ?

We got characters with topless blue nipples on ps3 now, nobody complained a lot.

Also i again have to laugh about the general argument of playing as a girl would break the game...i do not have to completely feel like the protag, i just want to be involved in a story.

The protag's pixelated sex organs being rather internally placed or externally hanging is a non issue since, i am not insecure :p

The argument of women not being strong enough is also getting stupid.

First of all, most NPC's in GTA  are regular build, second, we have seen regular/sportive build playable protags beating muscular guys down, never broke immersion or realism to me, even more if you actually relize that build and weight are not everything even in real life.

and the argument of a women not being able to get someone out of a car....lol, really ?

Even my mom could do that if she wanted, it is not like any protag is ever really completely lifting a person in the air when jacking a person out of a car, at least not in the latest rendition(gta 5)

The discussion of women as a protag being physically an unrealistic setting should really get people a warning in their member log, because it just is bullsh*t.

The thing of how women are indeed a minority in the real life criminal underworld is a more realistic debate, i must admit that, then again, we have had our fair share of female side characters by now so...maybe the time has come indeed.

• Cameron Star and smurfynz like this

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:53 PM

threads like these will bring sh*tstorm after release. Ya know some people will defend badly written char/story only based on race/gender of protagonist.

but i would like more diversity in characters and i think CJ and franklin sucked. vic was okay though

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

SPAMZILLA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

Is just a gameplay element, you dont see guys taking 10 bullets to the chest or losing cops in 10 minutes despite running over 15 people, . I don't know why people still try to rationalize this.

Personally i would be ok with this, they used all the cringy girly steretypes in michael and Trevor lol.

• universetwisters, GTKING1st and Cameron Star like this

Two And Three
  • Two And Three

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:19 PM

I feel its okay as long as its made with heart. I know some dumb people were calling GTA sexist. And if that is the only reason for a female character, then no. But if it adds something, and makes it feel like a good game and not just "Hey! Look at us! We're not sexist" type bullsh*it. I'll be fine.

• Tomasak likes this

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Spam Commando 2017
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:32 PM

but i would like more diversity in characters and i think CJ and franklin sucked. vic was okay though

you are worse than people who don't want anyone else than white male, because you are forcing diversity at any price just for diversity sakes.

• Payne Killer likes this

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:36 PM

If you want a female protagonist, then you should also be okay with mostly female antagonists.

Instead of fighting The Lost, we can fight an all-female motorcycle gang.

A female crime boss can send groups of women in SUVs after us when we kidnap her husband.

When you drive down Grove Street at night, groups of women wearing purple will threaten you with weapons.

The O'Neill Brothers would be the O'Neill Sisters.

In GTA Online, Gerald will send you to the LS River to steal meth from 10 women and 1 man.

What are your honest thoughts about the above? Would that be fitting for a GTA game?

• GTKING1st likes this

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade Corporation
  • European-Union

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

These two things sound cool. I can imagine an outlaw motorcycle club called "Femme Fatales MC" or something like that. The O'Neil Sister would work too.

mr quick
  • mr quick

VŚr tid er forbi - Europa brenner!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:46 PM

I'm all for a male protagonist, but only if it's believable and some SJW PC bullsh*t. Like, sure he can be a man, but he should be nerdy, although not too unfit and unattractive. Give him a goofy hairdo(changeable of course) but a chiseled jaw. Give him the ability to think, but not too much. Make sure that most of his dialogue is just grunts and noises, but maybe he has a light voice? idk, make him unique? 

• Niobium likes this

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:56 PM

These two things sound cool. I can imagine an outlaw motorcycle club called "Femme Fatales MC" or something like that. The O'Neil Sister would work too.

And what are your thoughts about a female crime boss sending groups of women with machine guns after you?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users