Quantcast

» «
Photo

A Female protagonist?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
382 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your favourite citrus fruit? (86 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favourite citrus fruit?

1. Lemon Posted Image (32 votes [37.21%])

Percentage of vote: 37.21%

2. Lime [Like a lemon but less red] (13 votes [15.12%])

Percentage of vote: 15.12%

3. Buddha's Fingers Posted Image (4 votes [4.65%])

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

4. Other Posted Image (37 votes [43.02%])

Percentage of vote: 43.02%

Vote
(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade Corporation
  • European-Union

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:15 PM Edited by (Ambient), 21 April 2017 - 06:16 PM.

So do you have a problem with males being edgy and badass too or is that something you feel that only men are allowed to be?

By saying "edgy and <<badass>>", I thought about an edgy psychopath like Catalina or Trevor. I think both women and men can be like that though.

What exactly do you want out of a female protagonist?

Here's an example copy-pasted from one of my older posts:

How a about a female protagonist who is into illegal street racing, stealing cars and the likes? This idea doesn't require RPG-7's and other heavy weapons (so people who think that women can't use rocket launchers or miniguns won't take the idea "too unbelievable"), it's still related to crime and isn't sexist (I mean, it doesn't force a protagonist to do some whore's jobs).

inb4 "women can't drive a car" or "women only drive small-ass compacts"

E: 10th page! Wow.

• anthony, DarkSavageDeathlyCloud and LincolnClay like this

anthony
  • anthony

Nobody cares, nobody f*cking cares.

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:12 PM Edited by anthony, 22 April 2017 - 09:19 PM.

(Ambient), on 16 Jan 2017 - 05:47 AM, said:

How a about a female protagonist who is into illegal street racing, stealing cars and the likes? This idea doesn't require RPG-7's and other heavy weapons (so people who think that women can't use rocket launchers or miniguns won't take the idea "too unbelievable"), it's still related to crime and isn't sexist (I mean, it doesn't force a protagonist to do some whore's jobs).

inb4 "women can't drive a car" or "women only drive small-ass compacts"

I like your idea.

Spoiler

Toreno6901
  • Toreno6901

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:04 PM

I'd like to play as a skin of Female protag. , undercover cop,
U know running Caligula business , building snowmen.selling merchandise,
killing crackheads,melee fightin' , wrestling, FFA.

vnus_dmlo
  • vnus_dmlo

$ $ $

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:32 AM

no offence this isnt barbie or sjw club, gta would feel off with a female protag and i cant help but feel itd be a publicity stunt to appease 3rd gen feminists and sjws that cant find real issues with the world

they should stick to men and not ostracise the majority of their playerbase in a shallow attempt to appear progressive

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud
  • DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

here is wondering how long a member title actually could be

• BUSTED!
  • Belgium

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:11 AM

no offence this isnt barbie or sjw club, gta would feel off with a female protag and i cant help but feel itd be a publicity stunt to appease 3rd gen feminists and sjws that cant find real issues with the world

they should stick to men and not ostracise the majority of their playerbase in a shallow attempt to appear progressive

I think you have a poor understanding of what it is to be actually shallow. 

• LincolnClay likes this

Toreno6901
  • Toreno6901

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:26 AM

It's no feminist Houser advocacy, it's simply fun mayhem for us GTA
gamers
  • DarkSavageDeathlyCloud likes this

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:41 AM Edited by evd, 24 April 2017 - 09:49 AM.

if a man have issues with playing as a female in video game, I think its a bigger problem than " publicity stunt to appease 3rd gen feminists and sjws that cant find real issues with the world".

dozens of games have done it right, but you are assuming that R*, the fathers of one of the best games ever could not do it propperly?

In my opinion the problem lies here:

- kids like to go rampage all the time, killing everyone, etc. combat in v resambles Super Mario Bros - jumping on goomba. with a little bit of practice you can train every domestic pet to do that. but the problem appeares when You hit 3 stars wanted level. oh my god, how much salt people have been throwing around here. "omg, its too hard" (said no girlfriend of theirs ever). a little bit of a f*cking challange makes them cry on internet dashboards. 

those kind of people may have problems with playing GTA (which the title stands for hijacking cars, not destroying whole earth population and flying with jetpack) as a female, which, due to usual realistic approach, should not be able to fight with outnumbered thugs. new type of a character, events. new type of experience, remarkable. why not? 

so, how about story dlc? with one playable female. same city, familiar npcies, different approach, atmosphere. Dont want it? dont buy it. simple as that.

also, another good example: 

5104d320a6dd1300e27027d254ea1a1e.jpg

• DarkSavageDeathlyCloud and LincolnClay like this

éX-Driver
  • éX-Driver

Playa

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:38 AM

also, another good example: 
5104d320a6dd1300e27027d254ea1a1e.jpg

Until her spindly little arms get tired after holding a rifle for 2 minutes, and her lack of upper body muscle makes long distance aiming and brawling all but impossible.

When it comes to female protags, devs ALWAYS make her sexy first, and then if they think about it strong. That's why female action heroes always are played by regular actresses and models, because what is muscle for other than looks?
That's the problem. They try too hard to make her attractive. A girl that makes a living robbing and killing and beating the sh*t out of people isn't going to look like a model. She's going to be fairly muscular, and probably roughed up. Definitely not 'super model in a cocktail dress and stilettos holding a gun' like a lot of people seem to think. Being a criminal is a masculine endeavor. And any realistic girl that partakes in that lifestyle is going to be masculine.

Of course, one could make the argument that it's just a video game. But then why bother at all? Why not make a green skinned alien with 5 eyes? Screw realism. Let us fart rainbows and fly by flapping our arms really quickly. Why bother writing a story? Could just have the characters whistle at each other instead.
  • evd likes this

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:30 AM Edited by evd, 25 April 2017 - 06:30 AM.

Of course, one could make the argument that it's just a video game. But then why bother at all?

I dont know, I havent played any GTA which was realistic, have You?

🖕
  • 🖕

../..

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:34 AM

Yes to female protagonist, no if she's the only protagonist

Also that "other" photo reminds me of my slate blue Surge

Toreno6901
  • Toreno6901

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:27 AM

Yes to female protagonist, no if she's the only protagonist

Also that "other" photo reminds me of my slate blue Surge

Yea to Lara Croft in GTA?

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:36 AM Edited by evd, 25 April 2017 - 12:21 PM.

why not.

if a thug can operate a jetpack, missile launcher and a f*cking harrier in this universe, I dont know how a woman could not hold a heavy riffle.

• (Ambient), LincolnClay and Nelly2K like this

Nelly2K
  • Nelly2K

Rat

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:11 PM

why not.

if a thug can operate a jetpack, missile launcher and a f*cking harrier in this universe, I dont know how a women could not hold a heavy riffle.

Amen, I always thought San Andreas was just a bit too out there almost in terms of realism!  Still enjoyed it though.

• LincolnClay likes this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:20 PM Edited by DOUGL4S1, 25 April 2017 - 01:20 PM.

If even The Simpsons can make an interesting female criminal in 10 minutes (Gina Vendetti), I don't see how Rockstar wouldn't be able to.

BTW, wtf's this poll?

• LincolnClay likes this

éX-Driver
  • éX-Driver

Playa

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:32 PM

^^^^
It's something called 'suspension of disbelief'. You can believe CJ did what he did because there was buildup to it. If the first mission was to drive out to Bone county and break into Area 69, it wouldn't be compelling. If you spend 8 hours of story with him meeting characters with more and more connections and more and more motives and ways to fund CJ, it makes far more sense.
And that also translates in a smaller scale to a protagonist.
If the MC is (or looks like) a runway model that one day said "I wanna try crime" then picked up a gun and defeated the entirety of the law enforcement of a given major city, it's completely unbelievable. If your MC is a trained guerrilla soldier/revolutionary that gets caught up with fighting law enforcement of a city after having been f*cked over by corrupt officials and has backing from other corrupt officials and other criminals, you can at least believe it's possible if unlikely.
It's why Niko is an ex soldier rather than just a Serbian immigrant. It's why Michael was a career criminal with a history of violence and gunplay rather than just a family man with nothing better to do. It's why Franklin is ripped and has ties with street gangs, rather than just being a kid from the ghetto trying to better himself. It's why Trevor is a strung out drug addict with anger problems rather than just a Canadian redneck.

You missed my point completely. I'm not saying a girl can't work, I'm saying they should at least try to make it work. Try to make it somewhat believable. A fashion model running up the side of a mountain with hoop earrings, stillettos, a cocktail dress, and AK47s strapped to her back isn't believable. At least not to me.
  • Roger Cheeto and StormBreaker like this

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:00 AM Edited by evd, 26 April 2017 - 01:08 AM.

^^^^
It's something called 'suspension of disbelief'. You can believe CJ did what he did because there was buildup to it. If the first mission was to drive out to Bone county and break into Area 69, it wouldn't be compelling. If you spend 8 hours of story with him meeting characters with more and more connections and more and more motives and ways to fund CJ, it makes far more sense.
If the MC is (or looks like) a runway model that one day said "I wanna try crime" then picked up a gun and defeated the entirety of the law enforcement of a given major city, it's completely unbelievable. If your MC is a trained guerrilla soldier/revolutionary that gets caught up with fighting law enforcement of a city after having been f*cked over by corrupt officials and has backing from other corrupt officials and other criminals, you can at least believe it's possible if unlikely.
It's why Niko is an ex soldier rather than just a Serbian immigrant. It's why Michael was a career criminal with a history of violence and gunplay rather than just a family man with nothing better to do. It's why Franklin is ripped and has ties with street gangs, rather than just being a kid from the ghetto trying to better himself. It's why Trevor is a strung out drug addict with anger problems rather than just a Canadian redneck.

You missed my point completely. I'm not saying a girl can't work, I'm saying they should at least try to make it work. Try to make it somewhat believable. A fashion model running up the side of a mountain with hoop earrings, stillettos, a cocktail dress, and AK47s strapped to her back isn't believable. At least not to me.

I see your point mate, but there is some misunderstanding.

Games from rockstar have very cinematic cast. Asuka, Catalina,  Abigail, are all pretty, and really intriguing, especially Asuka with her oriental background. She fits somewhere between your stories.  

éX-Driver
  • éX-Driver

Playa

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:00 PM

^^^^

I see your point mate, but there is some misunderstanding.

Games from rockstar have very cinematic cast. Asuka, Catalina,  Abigail, are all pretty, and really intriguing, especially Asuka with her oriental background. She fits somewhere between your stories.  
And in their games, they may kill 1 or 2 people and slap someone around for info. But leave most of the gruntwork to their male subordinates, the player included. If a female protagonist played out like they did, we'd spend a whole lot of time sitting around doing nothing whilst other people got their hands dirty. That doesn't sound very fun to me.
  • Roger Cheeto likes this

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:44 PM Edited by evd, 27 April 2017 - 12:29 AM.

In GTA 3/Advance/lcs Asuka is almost 40. I dont know if she have killed 1 or 2, or butchered dozens in her past.

do You?

like commone, lets have some fun, its a virtual world. why so closed? 

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:19 AM

I'd love to have a female protagonist who has a good girl image(a princess, if you will), but she's secretly a bad bitch. Kind of like the young woman in this pic.
Spoiler

She'd look stunning wearing this shirt.
Spoiler

éX-Driver
  • éX-Driver

Playa

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:33 AM

In GTA 3/Advance/lcs Asuka is almost 40. I dont know if she have killed 1 or 2, or butchered dozens in her past.
do You?
like commone, lets have some fun, its a virtual world. why so closed? 

Doesn't matter what she did in her past because we don't see it. For all we know she could've never killed anyone. Your 'argument' proves nothing, and my point remains valid. A twig can't fell a redwood. Things need to make sense in the rules of physics that are enforced in the universe in which the game takes place. GTA is heavily implied to use the same basic physics and biomechanics our world uses. Gravity, conservation of energy, blah blah blah. Musculature clearly influences strength, why else would there be muscular characters in-game? You need a certain amount of muscle to throw a punch with a certain amount of force both in the real world, and implied in the GTA world because it is based on our world. To break basic laws of nature is immersion-breaking.
And before any SpEd says "hurr durr then when we die we shouldn't respawn", there's a thing called 'gameplay and story segregation'. Some things have to be done to make a game playable, because otherwise they simply wouldn't be fun. Adding textures to a character model that makes them appear more fit and muscular wouldn't make the game less fun. It would do nothing except make it more believable. There is literally no reason not to make a hypothetical female protagonist muscular other than some insecure 13 year old boys throwing a hissy fit over her not being a supermodel waifu.

You're right. It is a virtual world. Why whould muscle mass matter? Why can't she be an anorexic? Why stop there, it's virtual and we should just have fun. Maybe I want my character to be able to fly by farting really hard. So why can't I? Maybe I can't just have fun unless the sky is green and the grass is blue. So why can't I have the option for that? Maybe I want my car to transform into a giant mecha with which I can use to level the city. Why can't I do that? It's just about having fun, right?

DominatorLegend
  • DominatorLegend

Master of car crashing

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:08 PM Edited by DominatorLegend, 28 April 2017 - 02:08 AM.

After reading all the comments I could, a female protagonist should be added under these terms:

-The game should feature a multi character gameplay like the one from GTA V, so people who don't wanna play as a fem can switch to their males

-The fem should be the least girly possible and a badass like most of the others GTA protags... And not be like Michael or Trevor (idiots)

-If we're including special abilities for the protags, the fem should have one that would let her run 3x faster and jump 2x higher. This is mainly because a fem character should be represented as the nimble more agile character. From this point of view, the fem should be a rogue-like character who benefits from running and gunning rather than holding a position

-Naturally, the fem should be physically appealing BUT nothing near oversexualized, something like Sarah Connor from Terminator (thanks to an older post for this idea)

Rockstar has shown us that they're capable to make great femmes like Catalina (who may be a total bitch, but you can't deny the girl had some extraordinarily huge balls) or Karen Daniels. Hell, even minor female characters like GTA V's expert driver for heist was a badass in her own right (knowing all sort of driving and escape tactics... And performing them equally good).

That's all I have to say.

• UshaB likes this

Ryhan'ZFX
  • Ryhan'ZFX

Crackhead

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:34 PM

Karen Daniels will suit the story
-her background is mysterious
-blackmailed by government
-probably she had crime past
-gorgeous (i think)

but one thing that bothering me is....
A WOMAN could never jack a car unless she
was armed (or biting and pulling the drivers`
hair.) I`d just bitchslap her though and she`d
break out in tears and the Animation would be longer and annoying...
any thoughts?

dyspoid
  • dyspoid

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:57 AM

Karen Daniels will suit the story
-her background is mysterious
-blackmailed by government
-probably she had crime past
-gorgeous (i think)

but one thing that bothering me is....
A WOMAN could never jack a car unless she
was armed (or biting and pulling the drivers`
hair.) I`d just bitchslap her though and she`d
break out in tears and the Animation would be longer and annoying...
any thoughts?

I have the same kind of feelings toward female protags as you.

I would like one, but she would have to be capable and strong. Maybe an former UFC/MMA fighter, something like Rhonda Rousey (perhaps even a little bigger than her).

There are some issues though, because Rockstar would have to carefully implement it. If they make an attractive female who can throw grown men out of vehicles, it would piss off realism guys (like myself), as well as people who may have an issue with women being portrayed as exclusively attractive.

Alternatively, if they give her attributes to make up for physical shortcomings, such as intelligence, people may complain that Rockstar is sexist for presenting women as weak.
  • Ryhan'ZFX likes this

evd
  • evd

acid

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:11 AM Edited by evd, 17 May 2017 - 03:11 AM.

she should be able to win a brawl fight with one guy, but unable to do it with like 2 or 3. 

male organism produces much more testosterone than female organism, so it wouldnt be inaccurate to make females LITTLE BIT less strong than males.

• (Ambient) likes this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:29 AM

Tonguegirl wold make an awesome female protagonist imho, I bet she can kick a dude's ass.
  • DarkSavageDeathlyCloud likes this

UshaB
  • UshaB

Nacho Libre - "I wanna weeeeeen!"

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:23 AM

Atomic Blonde, gimme gimme.

GeeMeek
  • GeeMeek

Player Hater

• Members
  • England

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:48 PM Edited by GeeMeek, 17 May 2017 - 07:48 PM.

If there will be several protagonists, I think that if one of them will be a female it will be a soft landing of experience for all of us.

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:16 AM

i would make a queer, PoC trans woman as a protagonist just to trigger the alt-rightists.

• Piggsy pls likes this

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:31 PM

List some actresses who would make good GTA protagonists.

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade Corporation
  • European-Union

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:00 PM Edited by (Ambient), 28 May 2017 - 06:00 PM.

List some actresses who would make good GTA protagonists.

But... which aspects we should consider if we are talking about an actress who would make a good GTA protagonist? Only voice? Voice and roles she performed before? Something else?
  • universetwisters and DarkSavageDeathlyCloud like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users