Quantcast

» «
Photo

A Female protagonist?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
382 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your favourite citrus fruit? (86 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favourite citrus fruit?

1. Lemon Posted Image (32 votes [37.21%])

Percentage of vote: 37.21%

2. Lime [Like a lemon but less red] (13 votes [15.12%])

Percentage of vote: 15.12%

3. Buddha's Fingers Posted Image (4 votes [4.65%])

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

4. Other Posted Image (37 votes [43.02%])

Percentage of vote: 43.02%

Vote
Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:00 AM Edited by RedDagger, 02 March 2017 - 02:31 PM.

Yes I know this thread has been done before and yes I know it has never ended well either. The question is should Rockstar create a female protagonist at some point in the future for a GTA game sure why not? If they have a story to tell that works with a female protagonist they should go for it  not because they are being pressured by people or making a female protagonist just to make a female only if they really want to do it. It wouldn't be a main game but a either a smaller side story like LCS and VCS or a DLC like The Lost and The Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony.

My idea for a female protagonist would be that she was an orphan who ran away at a young age and was raised by a group of criminals who take her in as one of their own and act in a way like family. Eventually someone betrays the group or they turn on her she wouldn't be a saint and have flaws like every other character we've seen in the series and unlikable as well. You could still have hookers and strip clubs as she could be a lesbian or be bisexual.

Does GTA really NEED a female protagonist though? Probably not no. Whether or not GTA has a female protagonist it doesn't really impact how I enjoy the series and the games have done fine so far without them (Yes I know the first GTA in 1997 had them but it didn't really do anything) over the years. It would be different though and make it unique.

giphy.gif

Lets try to keep this civil guys think before you post
  • Mister Pink, Saganist and Darth Absentis like this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

Alter Ego

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:15 AM

I personally am alright with the idea. It seems like there's too many people who are obsessed with gender rights in gaming, and although Rockstar loves to "break boundaries" when it comes to controversy, it seems as if no matter how Rockstar handles the situation, it will always be ridiculed for being "sexist" no matter what they try to do with the idea.

Really, I don't care. If Rockstar can execute a great story regardless of "boundaries", then I think it's not a bad idea. Although if Rockstar wanted to pull this off successfully, we would need a return to a singular-protagonist structure if they wanted to maximize the potential for this idea. Trying something new with V's trio form of characters may not be the best move, for this idea. It would be something much different, and really it's not something that I think is "necessary", but if anyone can exceed expectations, Rockstar is the one to do it.

• GTKING1st, CartmanKusanagi, Testeuros and 1 other like this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

Noo.. Nope.
You are asking to a wrong developer who doesn't have a good reputation ( among certain section of critics ) for their treatment of women in GTA. I don't think Rockstar are interested in having a female lead because in Dan's own words, "being masculine is key to the story"
  • ProKiller93, Yinepi and TrevorBever like this

mintchell
  • mintchell

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

It'd be nice, but the probability would be pretty slim in all honesty (female GTA Online Protagonists is the closest we'll get to one for the moment). This female protagonist could be anything; a good cop that slowly falls into depravity and corruption, a gangbanger trying to turn her life around or a thief that has a really bad case of sticky fingers, but gives back to her community.

((I'm not going to open that can of worms on the critics portion but it seems they only focus on one thing and scream "it's bad because you can kill women; how dare they" without looking into the rest of the games' content. You wouldn't be much of a critic if you only focused on one tiny part of something and disregarding the rest.))           

Who said strip clubs should only have female pole dancers and strip teasers? Personally, I'm all for seeing both. Perhaps we could have two protagonists--one male and one female? Maybe have them at opposite sides of the law? Just throwing out ideas.       

meson1
  • meson1

Soldier

• Members
  • England

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:20 PM Edited by meson1, 11 January 2017 - 12:25 PM.

I have no objection in principle to a female protag.  But the story comes first.  And the story and character have to fit together and be really f***ing good.   At least as good as IV's story and much much better than V's muddled attempt at a plotline.

So the protag gender needs to be whatever suits the story.  No agendas, no political correctness, just whatever is best.

• scalliano, CartmanKusanagi, slimeball supreme and 4 others like this

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• GTA Series Staff
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

So the protag gender needs to be whatever suits the story.

Excellent point.

When the original Tomb Raider game was in development it was agreed from the outset that the protagonist should not be a lumbering Rambo type character. Yes, the character would have an array of weaponry and be capable of combat, but the character should be agile and nimble in order to achieve the platform elements of the game.

Thus it came to pass that the protagonist became a woman.

The GTA Next game and the game elements are of primary importance. The gender of the protag is secondary as it would merely have to fit in with those elements.

• CartmanKusanagi, Queen, Ya Boy Punk Fan and 2 others like this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Soldier

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:08 PM Edited by DOUGL4S1, 11 January 2017 - 01:08 PM.

I'm not trying to be sexiest nor request anything, but I know some parts of the community, 1st day on PC and we'll have a naked protag. mod, so I don't really think that's a good idea.

LincolnClay
  • LincolnClay

F*ck Take Two Interactive...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

I hope so. I want this to be a thing.
  • Actlikeyouknow, DaddyDirection and gtaoplayer like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Pink.Inc

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:58 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 11 January 2017 - 03:00 PM.

You're on the money Zello. There doesn't need a female protag. I'm sure when Rockstar feel compelled to write a story from the opposite sex's perspective they will.

I don't think I would be for a female in full-fledged GTA. GTA seems a like lads game for the lads. Not to say that women don't play GTA and that's not to say that some men don't want to play as a female either.

It boils down to the old argument of believability. Doing GTA like carjacking, running around climbing walls, randomly assaulting people, using weaponry, driving around like a madman just wouldn't be easy for me to buy the all ready crazy things I'm doing. 

I know women commit crime. I know there are badass women out there but it's not something I've ever really seen. It doesn't come in to my realm. I can read about in the news when it happens but most criminals about, doing the day-today typical drug-dealing, gang-war stuff  is men. It's that testosterone fulled violence. 

Then there's the issue of identifying with my sex more. If I'm investing in a story where I'm playing the main protag, I know I'll identify with him better than any woman. Take Franklin and his woman for example, I could identify with him during those scenes. You could argue that I can do that with a female but then that's not really the point in why I started playing GTA. If I want to see strong, rounded female characters in entertainment, I might watch The Wire or Boardwalk Empire. 

Now, I could go for a female lead in an Episodes From Liberty City-style expansion. Zello's idea was quite believable and plausible to me. It would take a great deal to get a female protag right and not make such a stereotype or cliche. What type of personality would she have. How would the missions change now that it's a female. Are we going to have a female playing a very much male-centric type of mission gameplay, throwing grenades, busting down crack factories, hanging on the back of firetrucks and beating people up for pleasure? 

I welcome strong female characters in the story but not so much to play as.

• Majestic81 and KYX like this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

Boy You Make Me Make Bad Decisions

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

It's a cool idea, but I doubt R* will do it. I wonder who's going to take American Alpha's role as the misogynyst against the idea.
  • mr quick and The Deadite like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Pink.Inc

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:59 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 11 January 2017 - 04:00 PM.

It's a cool idea, but I doubt R* will do it. I wonder who's going to take American Alpha's role as the misogynyst against the idea.

Well maybe we can just hear their arguments first before we start labeling people misogynist. I think there are plenty of men out there that are loving, caring, empathetic males with great respect for women that may decided they would rather play as a male in their videogames, especially a videogame series that's only ever known male protags. Wouldn't you agree?

For anyone that prefers to play as male don't be fooled in to thinking people can just label you a misogynist because you prefer to play as a man. That would be offensive to real misogynists. :D Unless you are a real misogynist, don't bother posting. 

I don't think it's any different than a man choosing mostly male friends in their life or having a male best friend. Some of us would rather identify with a man on the screen. For me it's more digestible. 

Again, if it was a smaller BoGT style expansion, then I would be open to the idea.

• Majestic81, Ya Boy Punk Fan, Femme Fatale and 2 others like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:14 PM Edited by universetwisters, 11 January 2017 - 05:15 PM.

There doesn't need to be one, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be one. And the ones who say that there shouldn't be any have the dumbest arguments that can easily be debunked. Just to copy parts the thread I made on the topic a year or two ago and put them in a spoiler before the I HATE WOMEN IN ANY CAPACITY group comes in and gets this thread closed:

Spoiler

I wonder who's going to take American Alpha's role as the misogynyst against the idea.

Maybe that pink pineapple man.
  • ClaudeSpeed1911, Niobium, Femme Fatale and 2 others like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Pink.Inc

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:40 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 11 January 2017 - 06:44 PM.

Yeah I would agreee they're lame arguments too (against a female protag)

But the last point. Not that I would find it hard to relate to a female, I find I would relate more to a male.
  • universetwisters likes this

VictorVince1239
  • VictorVince1239

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:04 PM

Personally I'd be ok with it but I think for the sake of the rest of the GTA community it would only work if the female is one of 3 characters much like GTA 5 has. 

• KYX likes this

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

The "A"

• Facade Corporation
  • Poland

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:52 PM

inb4 misogyny, thread closed and someone feeling like his masculinity is insecure

OT: I want a female protagonist. In that way, we could be able to see more original female characters. I'm bored of seeing pretty much every single female character based on the "women are only related to love and sex" stereotype. It's just f*cking boring.
  • mr quick and DaddyDirection like this

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Peon

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:44 PM

Or Rockstar could set the next game up like "SaintsRow2"  CRINGE, and give you the choice of making your character from the begining of the game. I personally wouldnt choose a female protag, but there are female gta fans, from their point of view it maybe a good idea.

Dust
  • Dust

Debater & Speculator 🌐 RANK 1151

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:58 PM

If GRAND THEFT AUTO had a Female protagonist I would want her to be a real tough-ass. Any type of Women would be interesting though!

Sarah-Connor-Terminator-Linda-Hamilton-h

• Mister Pink, (Ambient), ClaudeSpeed1911 and 3 others like this

Axl Rose
  • Axl Rose

Appetite For Illusion

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:12 PM

nah not really feeling the idea.

the protag is almost like an alter ego, so the character being female would kill the immersion for me personally.

• Mister Pink, Majestic81, Roger Cheeto and 1 other like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:51 PM

the protag is almost like an alter ego, so the character being female would kill the immersion for me personally.

You must commit violent crimes in reality too or else having a protagonist committing Grand Theft Auto would be an immersion breaker too.
  • mr quick, GTKING1st, (Ambient) and 3 others like this

thatstupidbug
  • thatstupidbug

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:22 PM Edited by thatstupidbug, 11 January 2017 - 11:23 PM.

Can I be totally honest?

I love GTA as my "alpha male fantasy refuge".

Will I buy it with a female protagonist? Probabily yes... it will just feel like a different game, for me.

• Mister Pink likes this

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:15 AM

I have Previously been against a female protagonist for GTA, because it simply would not work in a game that thrives on authenticity and how it satires and parodies the real world. A video game in general is always fighting depth of a Suspension of belief.

Anyone here can very easily see why a female is hard to pull off in a game like this. Just look how stupid and cheesy movies are with Michelle Rodrigues. Even movies can't do it.

However, let her be hard to love, get away from Hollywood's idea of a female bad ass, let her be like Liz from gta if and not like Catalina from San Andreas, and it can work.

Let her be Butchee but not a lesbian, let her be rough around the edges, but not completely unattractive, let her be hard-core and manly, yet still feminine and you've got a winning formula it can work. I have a lot of really good reasons why it's never been done and probably won't be done, but Liz from GTA for for example would've made a great protagonist in DLC after Nico, or even has her own character in her own game
  • Mister Pink likes this

Jammsbro
  • Jammsbro

Pogo 4 life

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:35 AM

I'm not trying to be sexiest nor request anything, but I know some parts of the community, 1st day on PC and we'll have a naked protag. mod, so I don't really think that's a good idea.

You can have topless strippers in the game right now. You can mod any character in the game right now to be naked.

So who cares if someone makes a nude mod? No-one but desperate to be outraged idiots.

As for "identfying" with a male or female? We've all played games with both and the whole concept of identifying with the characters is hugely misunderstood. You don't need to identify with ANY character to like, dislike or enjoy them.

I don't identify with Lamar or Niko at all, doesn't stop me from enjoying them.

I don't care if there is a woman or not. And if there is, or isn't it is still no reflection on anything other than what characters the devs wanted.
  • VictorVince1239 likes this

Dust
  • Dust

Debater & Speculator 🌐 RANK 1151

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:48 AM

Thank you for creating this post!

I'm enjoying reading all of your individual thoughts about a Female Protagonist. I think that she has many "perks" that a Male Protagonist does not have.

She can be very complex:

* Mysterious

* Hard-to-predict

* Manipulative

* Ruthless

* Dedicated

* Nimble

* Beautiful

* Energetic

* Survivor

* Wise

* Clever

* Powerful

* Tough

* Classy

* Thoughtful

* Tender

* Intelligent

* Professional

* Sexy

* Genuine  

* Humoris 

* Empowered

* Righteous

* Decent

* Illusive

I think a Female protagonist is an avenue that has great potential for this franchise. In my opinion masculine Male characters are quickly becoming over saturated.

I don't expect the very next game such as GTA VI to have a Female as the main character but some day I would like to see one.

• GTKING1st, Actlikeyouknow, Testeuros and 3 others like this

VictorVince1239
  • VictorVince1239

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:06 AM Edited by VictorVince1239, 12 January 2017 - 05:07 AM.

Yeah as far as gameplay is concerned I don't see how it would be any different then what people are already doing online with their female characters. 

I mean it's just shooting guns ffs. It's not like theres any point in the game that the character lifts up another person over their head or anything like that so having a female main lead wouldn't be unrealistic at all. 

• mr quick likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Pink.Inc

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:32 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 12 January 2017 - 11:34 AM.

Yeah as far as gameplay is concerned I don't see how it would be any different then what people are already doing online with their female characters. 

I mean it's just shooting guns ffs. It's not like theres any point in the game that the character lifts up another person over their head or anything like that so having a female main lead wouldn't be unrealistic at all. 

I'll respectively disagree here. Any video on YouTube of male idiot either riding on the roof of a train, being a Jackass or a football hooligan fighting or a mafioso or Russian or Irish mob member depicted in a film, they're all men. Well most of them. I'm sure somebody can find me a video of woman doing something crazy. But that would be an exception. 

Look at this way. Some of us want to play in a pink afro. For me, that's not very realistic and I choose not to. But it exists, right? I mean pink afros exist and it doesn't stop whomever is wearing it from lifting another person up over their head or using a gun.

It's not really about if women can or can't do those things. It's about the likelihood and plausibility of a female doing GTA things. 

Then there's the issue of game play. Will the gameplay be changed in order to reflect a female's character? Because if it's the current style of gameplay, driving around in a modded car, wielding an uzi then going from the car to a heli and flying around it that. Yeah.. that sounds pretty crazy in itself and if someone were to make a bet with me if that was happening in real life you would bet you money it was a male.

Worlds Wildest Police Chases, hot pursuits on the news, they're 99.9% dudes. Again, I know women can be just as dangerous as the lads etc but it's just not that common. So again it goes back to the suspension of disbelief. I don't want to add another glaringly obvious thing to my game that might make me go "hmmm..eehhh that doesn't really seem that plausible" I just can't see a female doing that. Not that she can't but the possiblilty of me seeing anything like that in the news or on TV or YouTube etc. The same reason why I don't paint my gun pink in GTA. I think it just looks silly. And you know I like pink as a colour. 

Even our own forum census, 91% of people that answered their gender in the poll are male and only 5% female. So I mean it's not unfair if GTA is a little more male-centric.

Playing as a female is the same reason I don't go around on GTA Online with pink weapons. I just looks unrealistic to me. And you guys know I like pink, I sported the colour for 2 years on this forum. 

• Pink Pineapple, Kaniel Outis and KYX like this

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

🔺

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:10 PM Edited by Mr. Fartenhate, 12 January 2017 - 01:11 PM.

I think my problem with a female protagonist is that is denies a lot of avenues for story telling.
The criminal underworld is just as divided by gender as it is by race, some groups like the mafia traditionally refusing to allow women into their ranks. If Rockstar wanted to tell a story like that, or in multiple other ways, they simply wouldn't be able to with a female.

Otherwise, as long as it makes sense and there's a reason, I don't mind. I agree with the sentiment that there doesn't really need to be a female protagonist, and making a story without one is really no big deal.
  • Mister Pink, ChickenAndBeer and TheHumanIsland like this

Axl Rose
  • Axl Rose

Appetite For Illusion

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:51 PM Edited by Axl Rose, 15 January 2017 - 08:20 PM.

any argument over somebodies preference regarding this is silly. we're talking about a video game here folks.

if a person prefers to play with a male protag be it that they feel they wouldn't able to relate to a female character, that it wouldn't be realistic, or that it would just be lame...who cares?

VictorVince1239
  • VictorVince1239

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

I'll respectively disagree here. Any video on YouTube of male idiot either riding on the roof of a train, being a Jackass or a football hooligan fighting or a mafioso or Russian or Irish mob member depicted in a film, they're all men. Well most of them. I'm sure somebody can find me a video of woman doing something crazy. But that would be an exception. 

Look at this way. Some of us want to play in a pink afro. For me, that's not very realistic and I choose not to. But it exists, right? I mean pink afros exist and it doesn't stop whomever is wearing it from lifting another person up over their head or using a gun.

It's not really about if women can or can't do those things. It's about the likelihood and plausibility of a female doing GTA things. 

Then there's the issue of game play. Will the gameplay be changed in order to reflect a female's character? Because if it's the current style of gameplay, driving around in a modded car, wielding an uzi then going from the car to a heli and flying around it that. Yeah.. that sounds pretty crazy in itself and if someone were to make a bet with me if that was happening in real life you would bet you money it was a male.

Worlds Wildest Police Chases, hot pursuits on the news, they're 99.9% dudes. Again, I know women can be just as dangerous as the lads etc but it's just not that common. So again it goes back to the suspension of disbelief. I don't want to add another glaringly obvious thing to my game that might make me go "hmmm..eehhh that doesn't really seem that plausible" I just can't see a female doing that. Not that she can't but the possiblilty of me seeing anything like that in the news or on TV or YouTube etc. The same reason why I don't paint my gun pink in GTA. I think it just looks silly. And you know I like pink as a colour. 

Even our own forum census, 91% of people that answered their gender in the poll are male and only 5% female. So I mean it's not unfair if GTA is a little more male-centric.

Playing as a female is the same reason I don't go around on GTA Online with pink weapons. I just looks unrealistic to me. And you guys know I like pink, I sported the colour for 2 years on this forum. 

Well it's not like we haven't had women character right there in the Grand Theft Auto series who did these "grand theft auto things" as you put. 

Catalina being the main one who was just as crazy and gun blazing as any of the males we played as if not more. Elizabeta Torres from GTA IV is another good example and so is Michelle who's also from IV. 

These are strong female characters that Rockstar could borrow from if they must whenever a female lead is ever to happen.

Getting back to gameplay though I don't see what point you're trying to make considering the gameplay looks just fine when using the current system when playing as a female character in Grand Theft Auto Online so they wouldn't change a thing just because the woman happens to be a major part of the Main Story. 

I understand everybody has their preferences which is why I said if a female Lead was to ever happen the best way to do it would be to make her one of 3 characters so that people who don't take a liking to the idea of her or just don't the character can switch over to one of the guys and still enjoy the game. 

• Mister Pink likes this

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

The "A"

• Facade Corporation
  • Poland

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:07 PM

So, women don't play GTA, huh?

• mr quick, Darth Absentis and Actlikeyouknow like this

Axl Rose
  • Axl Rose

Appetite For Illusion

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:19 PM

So, women don't play GTA, huh?

interesting take on what i said. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users