Photo

Improvements to Search function

3 replies to this topic
Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:59 AM Edited by Osho, 10 January 2017 - 05:01 AM.

This is regarding to the results from the GTA F Search after filling the following requirements:
1. Find tags -- insert any word say, for instance ", Fallout 4" ( which is also the topic title, and no; "comma" in the search field doesn't make a difference )

2. Find author -- Osho

3. Find in forum -- Gaming
and lastly, Display results As posts ( searching both title and content )

Issue?
The results are BLANK, even though it displays, "There were 47 results tagged with Fallout 4" and 2 pages show up at the top.

I's request this issue to be addressed, and make the results appear.

This is important as it allows the author to get all the responses he/she made in a "particular thread" without going through over 100 pages to look for a specific response made in the past. I tried to use the Search "This topic" option available at the top by filling my name in the box, but it comes with the results of replies from the members who mentioned my name, and not the responses I made.
Using the "intitle" and "site" search operators of Google doesn't give out entire list of responses I made in the "Fallout 4" topic either.

It would be great if the GTA F Search function allows the members to search all the responses they made in any particular topic based on the author and tag options. Even better would be to either add an additional field called "Find in topic" in the Search page ( which will make it much easy to get the list of responses of any author ), OR tweak/change the search field "This Topic" available at the top of the site to provide results based on any members responses in that topic, and not the responses that "others" mention the name of the member in their replies to the topic.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

Not sure what's causing the 47 results to not show (the first time I did it got the same result but it seemed to work on subsequent tries?), however if you want to search for posts you've made in a specific topic, you can click on the topic then the magnifying glass icon next to the search bar, put your name under "find author" and display results as posts and you're good to go.
  • Osho likes this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

If you want to search for posts you've made in a specific topic, you can click on the topic then the magnifying glass icon next to the search bar, put your name under "find author" and display results as posts and you're good to go.

I did exactly what you said, and it works for the desktop mode ( on PC ). But when I try the sane on phones, the "Find in topic" field doesn't show up and is replaced with "Find in forum" field instead.
So, I'd request whether the search page displayed after pressing on the magnifying glass icon ( next to topic ) remains the same ( with the field "Find in topic: [ topic title ]" for both PC and mobiles, or not?
If its not then kindly ensure that it works the way you've suggested because its really important and useful search function for me.
Thanks!

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

The search system in this IPB version is horrible, you are better off using Google tbh.

• SWEETSAPRIK and ~Tiger~ like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users