Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2016
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2015
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:50 PM Edited by Daz, 17 August 2017 - 08:48 PM.

Escape From Tarkov is a semi open world FPS PvP and PvE realistic survival shooter, with emphasis on looting and an in depth weapon and inventory customization. There are plans for full open world in the future. I believe it is in alpha right now, not sure if it is technically early access or just a closed alpha.

The inventory system is very similar to DayZ. You lose all your gear upon death so the key to playing is to loot as much good gear and escape the map with it to be able to keep it. It is then stored in your main menu storage which you can then use to take back into levels with. There is also a trading system and there are lots of bulk/junk items you can find to sell in each map. You get a small storage slot on you for items you don't want to lose on death which makes it handy if you are looking out for a particular thing, but it is too small to be able to store primary weapons in. There is a requirement for eating and drinking however I am unsure how much that is focused on right now as it is in it's early stages of development. There are also indicators for radiation and bio levels so much more features seem like they will be added later. It has an insanely detailed weapon customization mechanic that pretty much trumps any other game in existence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edrlnHfOwV0

https://www.escapefromtarkov.com/

• Mister Pink, Voodoo, FullMetal and 4 others like this

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • Contribution Award [Chain Game]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

First look at this didn't quite impress me that much.

Two days later, I'm itching to have a go at this, especially after watching a video detailing weapon customization and such. Too bad my PC would sh*t itself trying to run this.

Playing this with a few buddies would be a blast.

• Daz likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Siamese Dream

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster in Music 2017
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

I recognise that YouTuber from DayZ videos he's made. 

Really nice details, especially the reload thing. 

• Daz likes this

Pat
  • Pat

• GTA Series Staff
  • None

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:15 AM Edited by Pat, 10 January 2017 - 07:05 AM.

The game itself looks very interesting, and they've definitely nailed all aspects related to weapons, but holy sh*t the alpha performance seems abysmal. Last I checked, Frankie runs a beast of a rig, and yet his framerate seemed to average around 25-30. That alone is too low for an FPS imo, where I personally wouldn't accept an average lower than 40, but then let me reiterate, that's a 25-30fps average on a rig that makes your average high end rig look like a calculator. For someone like me, on a 2500K & R9 290, that would probably be more like 15-20, and the consoles would be even worse assuming they get this game at all. Even if they wanted to port it, there's no way they would release it if they couldn't get an average framerate higher than 10.

Now, I am aware that it's a closed alpha and performance is one of the biggest changes you expect going from alpha to beta to release, but there have been so many closed alphas lately that just turned out to be demos that were completely representative of the final product that I really can't give it a pass just because it's an alpha. Then again, Slavic developers have a really good track record for game development (Metro 2033, STALKER, etc) so I'm trying to remain optimistic. If this was being developed by an American indie studio, or any AAA developer, I would have already given up hope long ago, but I f*cking love the STALKER series and this might be the closest I can get to a decent successor (yes, I'm aware of Survarium - that's why I specified "decent").

Besides performance, I really hope the PvE is fleshed out enough to the point where I can solely do PvE without feeling like I'm missing 90% of the game. sh*t like DayZ where the only objective is to shoot other players on sight has absolutely no appeal to me whatsoever. I want to at least have a slight chance of meeting someone and cooperating together for survival.
  • Daz and FullMetal like this

Darth Yokel
  • Darth Yokel

A Sith now, aparently.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:59 AM

I absolutely love how it looks and plays. I absolutely hate that it's a multiplayer survival game. If this was a single player game, a spiritual successor to STALKER for example, I'd be all over it.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • Contribution Award [Chain Game]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:30 PM

The game itself looks very interesting, and they've definitely nailed all aspects related to weapons, but holy sh*t the alpha performance seems abysmal. 

Without quoting the rest of your post, I can see why you're sceptical, and like you said: it's an alpha, there's much room for improvement there.

But to be fair, the game does look pretty f*cking good. I'm fairly confident that the devs will be able to make this game much easier on systems.

• Daz likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:58 PM

This probably isn't the game for me anyway, but from what I've seen, this looks incredibly detailed, incredibly realistic and... ultimately, incredibly boring. 

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:17 PM Edited by Daz, 10 January 2017 - 09:02 PM.

I absolutely love how it looks and plays. I absolutely hate that it's a multiplayer survival game. If this was a single player game, a spiritual successor to STALKER for example, I'd be all over it.

Well the game has AI, and some servers could just be PvE only, effectively singleplayer if playing alone.

I also personally have 0% interest in singleplayer games these days as they will always f*ck something up with it. Besides, multiplayer usually makes games last longer. I also have a massive hardon for realistic shooters like Operation Flashpoint and Rainbow Six at the moment. And playing with your mates always 100% beats any other sh*t.

I get what you are saying though, games like metro and black need a return. I just don't think we will get a whole lot of that anymore these days.

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

What doth LIFE Life life?

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:02 PM

It definitely looks promising, but I just hope it's not gonna be one of those early access games that seemingly never get finished and just have a bunch of feature creep.
  • Daz likes this

Switch
  • Switch

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Iraq

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:35 PM

I remember hearing about this game a while ago and looking at some screenshots. The game looks very promising and the idea is very intriguing to me because i like realistic shooters in general. I hope the devs keep up the work and we might finally get a promising game that comes out of early access/ alpha, unlike the games on steam that stay there forever with no real progress besides buying in-game currency with money.

• Daz likes this

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:43 PM Edited by Daz, 25 August 2017 - 06:15 PM.

Bumping this as I just bought it and it is available for like 34.99 euros as the standard edition.

Did manage to escape on customs with a sh*tload of loot. It kind of bums me out I could have had a much larger stash and gamma container but f*ck paying over £100 for an early access game.

Some screens:

2EgbW2B.jpg

YfqsK38.jpg

YrZUm6A.jpg

TKsF3rL.jpg

VwWTct7.jpg

bC0T3m2.jpg

8gngz7r.jpg

Moar screens:

FhQWX05.jpg

pItrKGG.jpg

cgJXh5S.jpg

txcMlOr.png

FyN8QBp.jpg

farmIAJ.jpg

FuVPyeI.jpg
  • Moonshield, Mister Pink, Voodoo and 2 others like this

MyMothersMySister
  • MyMothersMySister

Unkle Dysfunktional

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted A week ago

With the sh*tty port of PubG over to console Im sceptical of ever getting the full experience of DayZ and especially Tarkov etc.

Tarkov and similar games are the main reason Im considering jumping back on a PC which hasnt happened since the BF2 golden age. Single player games just dont cut it for me anymore like Daz said its all about playing with friends to keep my interest remotely consistent. I have Witcher GOTY edition just sat in the wrapper and even though I know its f*cking great I just cba starting it.

So at the minute Im a console casual and enjoy the port of PubG for what it is, but Tarkov is always there eating away at me and I think Im going to have to delve back into PC just to play this. Not sure if the devs have increased the frame rates any since launch but a few videos Ive seen recently look smooth as sh*t.

Meh
  • Daz, Moonshield, Tchuck and 1 other like this

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted A week ago

Totally agree with you there.

With the days of spending thousands of hours on singleplayer games that just end up being glorified collectible hunts like anything from Ubisoft at the moment. And with very little developers really caring about making something truly unique and different that no other game is doing, this is definitely one of them. It easily already has the best weapon customization, some of the best visuals and some of the most in depth looting, modding and gameplay.

The plans are now to have an actual hideout that you will build parts of your base up with looted items that will give you passive buffs while on raids. At the moment, once you leave a raid you are fully healed, but eventually you will have to take care of your character out of raid like a tamagotchi, so making sure you store enough food and drink, have plenty of meds and eventually requiring illness prevention methods.

At the moment they have had a giant patch and massively expanded one of the maps which is basically a mini DayZ map at the moment, it is definitely at it's best at the moment and always a good time to start playing it. If you love looting and hardcore style shooting this is definitely a game for you, it cuts out the wasted time that DayZ would have spending hours running across the map to find a single gun, this puts you right into it.

I have some saved gameplay videos, I need to do some more soon but this is a general look on what it is like.

Excuse the quality, when taking painkillers because it alters the visuals it some reason f*cks with the bitrate on youtube so it is a bit pixely in the vid.

• Switch and Audi like this

MyMothersMySister
  • MyMothersMySister

Unkle Dysfunktional

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted A week ago

The graphics on your second video are decent and I know you dont have an over the top gaming PC so that in itself sets it apart from most.

I always wondered why it doesnt get as much coverage of the likes of Pubg and DayZ etc ??
  • Daz likes this

Audi
  • Audi

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Ukraine
  • Most Improved Member 2017
    Best Turbo Quattro 2017

Posted A week ago

I've been seeing it pop up more on twitch lately. I think it will pick up in popularity, definitely been eyeing it myself. The amount of detail put into the firearms really intrigues me.

• Daz likes this

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Daily Globe
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

What's the balance of PvP and PvE like in this? Kinda hard to get a grasp on what the PvE elements are from watching a couple of streams.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by Daz, A week ago.

Basically at the moment there are 4 maps, 1 small cqb, 2 quite large and one massive one. Each has a limit to how many players spawn, so for example the smallest may only be 6-8, larger ones may be 8-12 depending, the largest one will be something mad like 30 players.

There is a timer for each map, usually being somewhere around an hour, though they have moved this back and forth recently. Basically all PMC players spawn in at the start (now it has been changed that now players spawn all over the map and not just one side). AI will spawn in near the middle now and also spawn in over time and more near the end of a raid. Also another feature is to spawn into a map as a "Scav" which is basically what the AI are, you get given a random loadout and you spawn in much later into the raid and all AI are friendly to you unless you kill one. The downside to this is you can't choose your starting equipment and it may be trash, also you don't have a secure container as a scav that you can store things in and keep incase you die (as you lose all other stuff upon death unless insured and nobody loots and exits with it). They JUST added a feature that I have yet to try that allows you to command a scav AI and it will follow you, so that could be interesting for plays against PMC players.

Often it can be difficult to know if its an AI or a player shooting you, usually it is kind of easy to tell, the AI taunt a lot but sometimes people can blend in, unless they are heavily geared or doing something odd. AI will now kick in doors and hunt you down. Either way the game is just as fun shooting AI as it is other players.

Eventually there will be a karma system, and the 2 player factions the USEC and the BEARs will be rivals. At the moment you just kill on sight and its no big deal but I think they want to encourage people of the same faction to work together as they have added in gestures and callouts. The game has plenty of room to grow into more, it is already super addictive.

At the moment though I believe the game may be region locked, so if you plan on playing with someone check this over first.

I will try and make another video of the new areas on the shoreline map and show some modding then the raid.

• Cosmic Gypsy, Jason and Audi like this

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Daily Globe
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 6 days ago

That explains it a lot better, was kinda hard to make it all out from watching people play. Been burned too many times with early access for me to dive in now but think I'm gonna keep an eye on it, seems like a fun twist on the whole loot/survival thing going on right now.

• Daz likes this

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 6 days ago

Also they have added quests in the last couple of months which definitely add more life to the game, a lot can just be as simple as collect "X" items, or kill so many AI on a certain level, but other ones are more difficult, some require a key to get into a locked room which require you to find a quest item and then escape a level with it. One is even to take a quest item from one level, escape, then into another level and plant it and defend it for 30 seconds, which if you die you have to start over. But so far I have done them first try but damn is it nerve racking. Just did a recent difficult one where I had to plant a sniper rifle on a boat, you have to stand there like a fool holding F to place for 30 seconds, so lucky nobody popped my ass. And if you die you have to buy the equivilent of an entire loadout just to plant another. But generally all are fun to do and keep the game moving forward. Its nice to always have something to look out for when looting. The looting is much better now as well. As before you could never find guns except off AI and other players, then finding the cheapest gun in the game a Makarov PM Pistol was quite easy, now you can find the most expensive sniper rifles in the game if you hit the right rooms on the expanded Shoreline map. So its pretty awesome for finding loot now. You can make out with sh*tloads. It's no problem making money.

Switch
  • Switch

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Iraq

Posted 5 days ago

Would you guys who have the game say it's worth buying the game now? Is it worth the price, How does it run? etc. Asking as someone who enjoys these types of games.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 4 days ago

Runs well, less desync these days, defo worth a buy if the videos you watch entice you. It is defo the best it has ever been at this current time. I would recommend the standard version which isnt that expensive, you can always upgrade later.

Watch a load of videos first. I would recommend the youtubers DevilDogGamer, Kotton, and DeadlySlob for some content if you are unsure.

• Switch and Audi like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users